Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,018-1021

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
AgOkami

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,018-1021

Post by AgOkami »

I've been stalking these forums for years, and totally forgot I have a ~10 year old account.
Spoiler:
Is this the first time it's confirmed Kid knows Conan's identity? I've always headcannoned that he does, but pretty sure it wasn't confirmed until now.

Don't remember if Kid has done different accents before. If he can, I guess he'll ruin Heiji's day by disguising as Kazuha.
EDIT:
Adding a comment on a reaction some have reacted to in 1018:
Spoiler:
Looks like Kid immediately took the woman's side. I'm guessing Kid's got a lot of info about this pearl that we don't yet. Maybe when we read his thought "So that's how it is...", his slightly more detailed thought would be "Now that piece of info makes sense."
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

AgOkami wrote:I've been stalking these forums for years, and totally forgot I have a ~10 year old account.
Spoiler:
Is this the first time it's confirmed Kid knows Conan's identity? I've always headcannoned that he does, but pretty sure it wasn't confirmed until now.

Don't remember if Kid has done different accents before. If he can, I guess he'll ruin Heiji's day by disguising as Kazuha.
It is...
what's more problematic is that it's not the only M3 reference.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Post by kentasaiba »

Well, we already have Ayanokoji, Kazami and others, it's not the first time a Mangaka refers to the movies for his work.
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

kentasaiba wrote:Well, we already have Ayanokoji, Kazami and others, it's not the first time a Mangaka refers to the movies for his work.
They are characters... not movie stories.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Kor wrote:So this theory hasn't been posted here yet, but it has circulated around. Will put it in a spoiler tag just in case:
Spoiler:
In the last several months, Gosho has been slowly revealing Scotch's real name via his Animal Crossing messages.
Pic 2: "Scotch's name is XXXX HIROMITSU"
Back in June he revealed his given name.
Pic 1: "... "Tell me Scotch's surname"...->"
Pic 2: "There are many questions of that kind so (laughs)->"
Pic 3: "Here's a hint. "One of the kana on his first name->"
Pic 4: "..."is included on his surname!"..."
Then in July he told us one kana from the given name is also in the surname (which is 4 kanas long).

Initially, revealing Scotch's name may seem like a rather trivial thing cause the dude's already dead so who even cares, but with the last hint, it did seem like Gosho's (sadly) setting up something... that Scotch is maybe related to some other already existing character. There aren't that many DC characters with XXXX surnames that contain one of the kanas in Hiromitsu. You have Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko, Morofushi Takaaki and possibly one or two others. We seemingly got an answer, however, when deco2289 from the cbox posted this link that showed us Koumei and Scotch have extremely similar looking eyes https://twitter.com/suityo0/status/1021391204288638976

So now with Koumei randomly showing up in a Kid case, after Gosho set up Scotch's real name for months, this might be where we're going with this (as in, Scotch and Koumei being related).
Oh look, someone do look closely alike.... Image ::)
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Wow interesting stuff going on with that Koumei theory.
Hanfoi

Post by Hanfoi »

koumei is one of the very few characters that still hasn't met Haibara.
He was suspected to be Rum, and now he is potentially getting involved with Scotch's case.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

anyone read file 1019 yet? just had this hilarious thought of the possibility of heiji ending up confessing to and kissing kaito kid (disguised as kazuha) instead of the 'real' kazuha... :P
this horrendous imagery of red vs. white {facepalms} Image
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
AgOkami

Post by AgOkami »

blackmoon wrote:anyone read file 1019 yet? just had this hilarious thought of the possibility of heiji ending up confessing to and kissing kaito kid (disguised as kazuha) instead of the 'real' kazuha... :P
Spoiler:
As expected, he dressed up as Kazuha. The way he did it though, I'm surprised Conan didn't see through it before it even happened. Or he did, and is just letting Heiji really know how good Kid is.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

1,020 is out and fully translated.
Spoiler:
And with it out, we can confirm—at least 99.9% confirm—that Scotch is Taka’aki’s/Koumei’s brother, thus making his real name Hiromitsu Morofushi.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Some spoilers from chapter 1021:
Spoiler:
Inpector Morofushi - Hiromitsu relation confirmed.
Kabedon fails because Ran stops it (but doesn't expose Kid).
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

More 1,021 spoilers (pics are now out—very low quality ones, though):
Spoiler:
Kaitō is about to nab the Fairy’s Lip, only to be surrounded by police led by Taka’aki/Koumei—Kaitō then uses the ol’ flash bomb trick and escapes.

We see Wataru and Miwako meet with Taka’aki/Koumei and give him Hiromitsu’s/Scotch’s phone, and we see a panel of Hiromitsu with Rei, Jinpei Matsuda, Kenji Hagiwara, and Wataru Date during their police academy days, as well as a panel of Rei and Hiromitsu as kids.
My understanding is that there will now be a break for at least 3 weeks—we can expect 1,022 spoiler pics, at the earliest, on October 11th–12th.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Recent leaks revealed that the break will be longer (way longer) than previously thought. Apparently there will be a 9 weeks break after the next chapter. 1022 is said to be released on November 28 (issue #53).

This means that in 2018 we'll end up with less than 20 chapters released overall.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Holy shit, I really am getting scared for Gosho, this is Togashi territory right there.
DCUniverseAficionado

Uchiha Shadow wrote:Holy shit, I really am getting scared for Gosho, this is Togashi territory right there.
This 9 week break is just over half as long as the 16 week break between 1,008 and 1,009—it’s actually not the worst we’ve gotten, this year.

These kinds of breaks are meant to prevent his health from deteriorating—better 5 cases per year than the alternative. That comparatively limited amount of cases compared to prior years will be made up for by the increase in development/pacing we’ve gotten since we crossed the quadruple digit threshold.

And how long are the breaks taken by Mr. Hunter x Hunter? Are they 9-16 weeks, as well?