Anime Recommendation Thread

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
CoolKid3

Posts:
528

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by CoolKid3 »

Is Mirai Nikki worth watching completely?

The catch is I watched the first 5 episodes or so. Felt there is nothing much in the middle part of the story then fast forward to the last 4 episodes. I did the same with Chaos Head. When the suspense build up is not quite enough IMO, I lose interest to watch but still would want to know the ending so I skip my way to the finale.

May be it is because I can associate a lot of anime I've watched before to Mirai Nikki one way or another (e.g. Law of Ueki - battle to become the God, Steins Gate - insight on the future, Higurashi - psycho girls on the loose) The characters did not help either because I don't find them interesting enough (except for 9th, Minene Uryu which reminds me of Revy from Black Lagoon).

I personally don't mind backtracking but I want to get an idea of what I've missed in the middle part.
If you think you are cooler than me then prove it, B*TCH!

Image
User avatar
Vylash

Posts:
3757
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by Vylash »

CoolKid3 wrote: Is Mirai Nikki worth watching completely?

The catch is I watched the first 5 episodes or so. Felt there is nothing much in the middle part of the story then fast forward to the last 4 episodes. I did the same with Chaos Head. When the suspense build up is not quite enough IMO, I lose interest to watch but still would want to know the ending so I skip my way to the finale.

May be it is because I can associate a lot of anime I've watched before to Mirai Nikki one way or another (e.g. Law of Ueki - battle to become the God, Steins Gate - insight on the future, Higurashi - psycho girls on the loose) The characters did not help either because I don't find them interesting enough (except for 9th, Minene Uryu which reminds me of Revy from Black Lagoon).

I personally don't mind backtracking but I want to get an idea of what I've missed in the middle part.
you really are doing everything wrong, you won't be able to enjoy anything with an overarching storyline if you skip around and ruin it for yourself, watch things from the beginning and work your way to the end, that's the way shows that aren't completely episodic in nature should be viewed
Image
ranger
Community Villain

Posts:
3588

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by ranger »

Mirai Nikki is entertaining. It's not bad, but no where near great or masterpiece quality.

It's kind of one those shows that a shit ton of potential, and they totally screwed the pooch with it
Image
Image
Akonyl
Community Hero

Posts:
4200

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by Akonyl »

I agree with both posts above me.
CoolKid3

Posts:
528

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by CoolKid3 »

Vylash wrote: you really are doing everything wrong, you won't be able to enjoy anything with an overarching storyline if you skip around and ruin it for yourself, watch things from the beginning and work your way to the end, that's the way shows that aren't completely episodic in nature should be viewed
I know but whenever I lose some interest to a point that I would have to drop the series, I tend to skip a lot then decide to read spoilers over the internet then decide to watch the finale or not.

Some of the new series / season I've been watching lately are at least near the date when subbed episodes are released. Unlike in the past wherein I tend to pile up a lot of episodes first before I start watching the series.

I think that should do the trick for now....
If you think you are cooler than me then prove it, B*TCH!

Image
ranger
Community Villain

Posts:
3588

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by ranger »

CoolKid3 wrote:
Vylash wrote: you really are doing everything wrong, you won't be able to enjoy anything with an overarching storyline if you skip around and ruin it for yourself, watch things from the beginning and work your way to the end, that's the way shows that aren't completely episodic in nature should be viewed
I know but whenever I lose some interest to a point that I would have to drop the series, I tend to skip a lot then decide to read spoilers over the internet then decide to watch the finale or not.

Some of the new series / season I've been watching lately are at least near the date when subbed episodes are released. Unlike in the past wherein I tend to pile up a lot of episodes first before I start watching the series.

I think that should do the trick for now....
anta baka
Image
Image
User avatar
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Posts:
1183

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by pofa »

With Mirai Nikki, everything moves so suddenly that you're probably not going to get what's going on if you skip around too much anyway, but if you're one of those ones that watches stuff like that just to see the shocking scenes, you'll probably be fine with that. :P Like the others have said, it's not like it's a masterpiece with regard to plot anyway.

Also, I'm officially recommending Kure-nai to anyone who hasn't seen it (since it's out in an official collection now). Subject matter gets a little hardcore, but it's handled tastefully. And Aoi Yuuki is amazing in this series, imo better than she was in Madoka.
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
User avatar
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Posts:
1762
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by kirite »

I actually love Mirai Nikki <3.  How it goes out a steady uphill and then WTFWTFWTFWTWFWTWFDAFJKSDALJF;AKLSDJF;L

And of course, hnnng so many Yanderes <3.  I'm bias.
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
User avatar
Ariel
Self proclaimed evil genius.

Posts:
1157

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by Ariel »

School Rumble. It starts as some random romance anime, but is much more. I'm not sure how to describe it though.
Last edited by Ariel on May 20th, 2013, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DS Friend Code: 1246-9032-4403
Tell me if you want to play Animal Crossing or trade Pokemon with me!
Now you see it. Now you don't.
User avatar
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Posts:
1762
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by kirite »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg

If you guys didn't see this already I'll be very very shocked.
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
User avatar
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Posts:
7966
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Anyone know if the .hack anime series are worthwhile?
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

Image

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
ranger
Community Villain

Posts:
3588

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by ranger »

kkslider5552000 wrote:Anyone know if the .hack anime series are worthwhile?
nah it sucks pee-pee, don't watch it, it's so boring and and not even better than SAO, which is also pretty bad.
Image
Image
User avatar
kiacan

Posts:
36
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by kiacan »

kirite wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg

If you guys didn't see this already I'll be very very shocked.
I watched that when it was first subbed. Absolutely loved it.

and .hack//Legend of the Twilight was not so great an anime, they completely ignored part of the manga's story, which I at least believed was good. I don't know about the other .hack series.
Image
User avatar
Vylash

Posts:
3757
Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by Vylash »

kkslider5552000 wrote:Anyone know if the .hack anime series are worthwhile?
This is pretty late but all .hack shows are complete nonsensical messes, the only one i really enjoyed was twilight, and not because it had good writing or anything, but because it had a super fun cast of characters, so /maybe/ that one's worth watching, though i hear the manga is much better, but I'd suggest ignoring all other entries.
Image
User avatar
char13happy

Posts:
261

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Post by char13happy »

Are the currently hyped shows good?

Specifically, Attack on Titan and SAO + II.
Image
Post Reply