The decade for 2010-2020 is wrapping up soon and I think we should do a couple of polls. Detective Conan (anime) started airing in 1996 and quickly after we started getting yearly movies, and we've gotten some really great ones and some mediocre ones over the years.
Let's talk about the best films of the decade here. MOVIES
M14: The Lost Ship in the Sky (2010)
- Mediocre film. I didn't really care for it much, the idea of a battle that takes place high in the air is always entertaining.
M15: Quarter of Silence (2011)
- The idea for this film was nice due to the snow and ice and stuff but it's my least favourite Conan film. Just felt mediocre in all ways.
M16: The Eleventh Striker (2012)
- This had couple of good moments in it but it's just not a film I'd want to watch at all. I like the moments in it but the entire idea for a football film is not for me since the films don't really have as worthwhile mysteries to these sports cases that I should stick around. Bad aftertaste honestly from thinking of this but it would most likely be better on a rewatch.
M17: Private Eye in the Distant Sea (2013)
- This is honestly one of my most enjoyable Conan films ever. I don't know why really but I really like M17. The atmosphere is on-point. I loved how down to earth this was because you can't really skateboard stunt on a ship and stuff like that. The really short Heiji moment got me hyped and it also has really short Kogoro moments.
M18: The Sniper From Another Dimension (2014)
- This is most likely on most people's list. It's a pretty damn solid film and it has some rewatching value since it has canon characters running around as well in the movie story.
M19: Sunflowers of Inferno (2015)
- People tend to compare this to M14 but I honestly liked this film and would rewatch it. We had Magic Kaito 1412, the Kaito manga and Sunflowers of Inferno at the same time. Kaito fans somewhere out there must have fainted, that's insane.
M20: The Darkest Nightmare (2016)
- This is one of the most hyped Conan films along with the likes of Raven Chaser. It divides many watchers but just absorbing this and Episode ONE... I loved this film. It was exciting and showed that these films can actually stray off from a set structure if they want to. What makes it more special is that it has numerous Conan characters on this type of high-intensity action flick.
M21: The Crimson Love Letter (2017)
- The Crimson Love Letter is my favourite Detective Conan film. I've rewatched M17 for Heiji many times, but this film... just Wow, man. It was a dream come true for me. Kazuha and Heiji were both EPIC
and the entire karuta plotline (shout out to Chihayafuru) along with the romantic atmosphere was 10/10. It's my favourite anime movie of the decade.
M22: Zero the Enforcer (2018)
- Heiji is my #1 Conan character but the main man Amuro has always come close second, always. I loved this film as well. Zero the Enforcer has the most symbolism and heavy themes out of Conan films - it has hidden themes such as police corruption and how far can you go for what you see as justice. It's a very impressive work but it's paced very off - I literally analyzed the first half of the film for eight (8) whole hours and the second half didn't have much to it as it was action and just dealing with the piled up plotlines the first half presented. I really liked the action and Amuro moments in this film.
M23: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (2019)
- I will watch this on new years. Hyped.SPECIALS
Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: The Movie (2013)
- This movie was pretty good. I liked the interactions. I usually don't care for crossover series but TMS has some pretty decent writers for both of these series.
The Disappearance of Conan Edogawa: His History's Worst Two Days (2014)
- This was solid. Nothing groundbreaking but it shows something special about the Conan anime - it's not directing, animations or anything like that but instead we are talking about solid writing. Over the years Conan has had many anime original episodes but every now and then very rarely we actually get some real writers hired for the show. And that is praise-worthy.
Detective Conan Episode ONE (2016)
- This remake of the beginning of Detective Conan was the peak of my 2016. It was fantastic. I rewatched it couple months ago and wrote a short novel of it, still just mindblowing. This is the type of absolute best stuff the TV series can give us, for real.
Drum drum drum drum drum
My picks are.......
#1 - The Crimson Love Letter. Beautiful, just amazing. Fanboy in me just absorbed this experience.
#2 - Episode ONE. To relive the beginning of Conan in a way that lives up to my memories of it and even goes beyond, fleshing out the gaps in time between the manor case and the rollercoaster case that Shinichi solved, and going beyond all that to Conan's story... Fantastic stuff, Gosho.
#3 - Zero the Enforcer. The pacing was off in this film but the fact that Amuro got his own film on top of some really great themes and symbolism the movie presented makes this film be on my top list of the entire decade.
#4 The Darkest Nightmare. I think this is one of my favourite just experiences for Conan. I was obviously very hyped for this movie - hell, you couldn't escape the talk about it with all the promotion and stuff, but I still somehow went in it open-minded and it just blew me away with how the characters were handled in such a nice way that they really had some tense moments to go through.
#5 The Sniper From Another Dimension AND Private Eye in the Distant Sea are on this. Heiji is my favourite and the atmosphere of M17 was fantastic, but Heiji barely had a minute or two of screentime. And Masumi I really like as well, so for her to get to shine was great. M18 also was on that atmosphere bomb, I really like both of these films so it can easily be one or the other.
All I can say is that the decade gave some really good stuff to us now that I look back.