Wow this forum is dead

If you have some randomness to share that you can't post elsewhere, this is the place to do it.
thriceplus

Wow this forum is dead

Post by thriceplus »

[quote][/quote]Are people discussing Conan elsewhere or is the English speaking Conan scene dying?
Kor
Administrator

Re: Wow this forum is dead

Post by Kor »

Eh... let's break it down to several components:

1) Yes, the forum now has much less activity and has been decreasing in activity in recent years. Forums in general are kind of an old platform so lots of forums have been dying for the past half a decade.

2) Yes there are other places on the web where people talk about Conan (that said, this is a series that's never been inherently popular with English speakers so you're already drawing from quite a limited crowd)

3) I think the biggest crux of the matter, though, is that the manga's on a long break, and so far only 9 chapters have been released in 2018, which is a record low number, so when the Conan output is so small, there's really not much to talk about other than rehashing old ideas and such.

You could always try to innitiate a discussion, though. Various people still log in once or day or so or visit the forum.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Kor wrote:Eh... let's break it down to several components:

1) Yes, the forum now has much less activity and has been decreasing in activity in recent years. Forums in general are kind of an old platform so lots of forums have been dying for the past half a decade.

2) Yes there are other places on the web where people talk about Conan (that said, this is a series that's never been inherently popular with English speakers so you're already drawing from quite a limited crowd)

3) I think the biggest crux of the matter, though, is that the manga's on a long break, and so far only 9 chapters have been released in 2018, which is a record low number, so when the Conan output is so small, there's really not much to talk about other than rehashing old ideas and such.

You could always try to innitiate a discussion, though. Various people still log in once or day or so or visit the forum.
I'll add
4) DCTP got C&Ded and is no longer the primary source of new English Conan content.

But yeah the forums definitely seem to be having difficulty attracting new users so the average age of the boards seem to be late 20s I'd imagine.
Perhaps most interesting is that while "serious" threads are still around, most of the "lighter" threads like shipping ones (sh*tposts like Ran x Kazuha got 30+ pages back then) have died out. Whether these folks have moved to Tumblr or something or whether the Conan fanbase has significantly aged (because younger folks are turned off by the insane length of Conan) I don't know.
champagne

Post by champagne »

thriceplus wrote: Are people discussing Conan elsewhere or is the English speaking Conan scene dying?
I think the community on reddit is more active, it's a fairly small subreddit, but when I visit this place like once a week or so there are always a bunch of new topics (probably a couple of new threads daily). The topics are often about minor or random things (like people asking for episodes etc.), but every now and then there are interesting/insightful posts and topics that attract a good number of comments as well (or at least attract more reaction than they would probably get here).
Despite that, I think for long and ongoing discussions classic forums like this one seem more suitable, because on reddit and other newer platforms threads get lost/"disappear" in the feed very quickly.

I always thought dctp, especially the Story Discussion section, is the best international (meaning English-speaking) forum or at least way better than the DC Wiki forum. Back in the day I used to lurk this place to read theories and such. I just signed up recently, because I too thought this place deserves more activity (and because I lost track of DC for some time and just picked it up again recently).
Kor wrote: 3) I think the biggest crux of the matter, though, is that the manga's on a long break, and so far only 9 chapters have been released in 2018, which is a record low number, so when the Conan output is so small, there's really not much to talk about other than rehashing old ideas and such.
Totally agree with that. Hopefully there are better times ahead when it comes to the release schedule. I guess this forum will be livelier if the content delivers and people feel like the BO plot is seriously moving forward.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

I assumed everyone was on Summer vacation. I mean the forums have been kinda slow for a long time, but the past month has been...nothing.

It also doesn't help with the manga being on increasingly long hiatuses, and while no one here actually watches the anime anymore it seems, it's been a bad year there too. I told people to pay attention to the anime originals when they were actually putting out interesting episodes 2 years ago, and none of y'all listened, so it's only fitting that we are in the worst filler hell I've ever experienced in my decade with the series.

also the discord is more popular
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

Eh, I guess a lot of members (especially the really close ones) have gravitated somewhat to different platforms to stay in contact more easily. At least, that's what I've noticed.
It doesn't help most of the older members have busy lives to begin with.
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor wrote:Remember: Hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.
DetectiveB

Post by DetectiveB »

This forum is still kicking, but maybe most of us are just lurking as I do.
Link
"I NEED SLLEP"

Post by Link »

*kicks*
Kamite
Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

Post by Kamite »

Oi Doint kick back the forums.

*Gets the spray bottle*
Bad Link bad
ranger
Community Villain

Post by ranger »

shit was poppin back in 2010s :)

Ive more or less slowed down on anime, and yeah Detective Conan in general.
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

<-- still alive.

Although I don't like the fact that several topics (that otherwise could get some posts) got locked. If a forum is decreasing in activity the very last thing a Staff member should do is locking topics to prevent people from talking. Does it really matter NOW that a post was revived or created a new topic instead of being written in a pinned topic?
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
shinichi'sapprentice
I NEED SLLEP

Post by shinichi'sapprentice »

^ This.

Although, at least the threads weren't just getting deleted without explanation
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:^ This.

Although, at least the threads weren't just getting deleted without explanation