What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Locked
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Posts:
1156

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Nemomon »

I had a thought that Kir specially wrote "RUM" to show a better impact on this name. If one would receive a mail just with "Rum" it could be considered kinda awkward. If all the letters are capitalized, it shows some significance to the word that is capitalized. And also it looks less awkward.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
User avatar
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member
Loading...

Posts:
386

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Fujiwara »

Spimer wrote:@Kor: but I saw the RAW file and it wasn't written in capitals on the RAW file. She pronounced it as if it was a normal name. Both in the 1st and 3rd file of that case. I think Fuji might've decided to put it on caps to refer to previous files but it wasn't written in capitals or Alphabet in the raw to begin with.
Erm, no I don't usually do things like that. :P
Here's the manga cap from file 906:
Image
Haibara clearly uses caps to refer to RUM.
User avatar
Spimer
Moderator
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts:
1351

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Spimer »

@Fujiwara: Alright. I forgot that. But if you check the other files then she doesn't spell it in capitals nor does Conan think of the guy in capitals either. You may argue that he didn't see the message Akai got and didn't know Kir spelled it on capitals but I've got the feeling that the whole discussion over the capitals is a red herring on Gosho's part.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
User avatar
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Posts:
710

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Spimer wrote:@Fujiwara: Alright. I forgot that. But if you check the other files then she doesn't spell it in capitals nor does Conan think of the guy in capitals either. You may argue that he didn't see the message Akai got and didn't know Kir spelled it on capitals but I've got the feeling that the whole discussion over the capitals is a red herring on Gosho's part.
In the Japanese Raws Haibara always sticks to RUM in all capitols.
When Conan is talking about Yamato-keiji he uses the Katakana. It is not said in lower case in the Japanese Raws.
Compare the below image's lettering to what you are looking at and make sure you aren't looking at a translation
into another language. Any scans found on Baidu are probably the Chinese translations.

Image
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
User avatar
Spimer
Moderator
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts:
1351

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Spimer »

@jimmy_kud0_tv2: I do know how to tell a Japanese raw from a Chinese scanlation. And I've translated a lot of stuff in Japanese: katakana mostly is used to transcribe foreign words like Gin, Vodka, etc. They're not translated into capitals. Have you seen anyone write GIN or VERMOUTH in the scans? No, right?

Sorry if the above part sounded harsh: it's late night and tiredness is making me feel slightly irated.

My point is: the "RUM" thing may be a red herring (the capitals standing for something: I don't doubt that the man exists).

But, oh well. Anyone is free to have his/her opinion: I'm just stating my opinion.

I apologize again if I sounded hostile or harsh.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
User avatar
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member
Loading...

Posts:
386

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Fujiwara »

Spimer wrote:@Fujiwara: Alright. I forgot that. But if you check the other files then she doesn't spell it in capitals nor does Conan think of the guy in capitals either. You may argue that he didn't see the message Akai got and didn't know Kir spelled it on capitals but I've got the feeling that the whole discussion over the capitals is a red herring on Gosho's part.
It's one thing for Conan, because you can argue that he heard the details from Akai, but the fact that Haibara uses caps here is noticeably weird. It can't be in reference to Kir's message at all, because she doesn't know about that. So why does she use caps? Even if it's a red herring, there must be a reasonable explanation for it, otherwise it's just trolling.
User avatar
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Posts:
710

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Spimer wrote:@jimmy_kud0_tv2: I do know how to tell a Japanese raw from a Chinese scanlation. And I've translated a lot of stuff in Japanese: katakana mostly is used to transcribe foreign words like Gin, Vodka, etc. They're not translated into capitals. Have you seen anyone write GIN or VERMOUTH in the scans? No, right?

Sorry if the above part sounded harsh: it's late night and tiredness is making me feel slightly irated.
My point is: the "RUM" thing may be a red herring (the capitals standing for something: I don't doubt that the man exists).
But, oh well. Anyone is free to have his/her opinion: I'm just stating my opinion.
I apologize again if I sounded hostile or harsh.
When Haibara says Rum it always comes out "RUM" in all capitols in the Raws. When Conan said it, it was in Katakana in the raw. The reason why its pointed out that RUM being in all capitols being weird is as you say above, normally katakana would not be translated into all caps. Earlier in the series when Conan is explaining that "Berumoto" was just the Japanese pronunciation of Vermouth, his speech bubble had the V capitalized and the rest in lower case... but now a code name has appeared that when spoken in word bubble by a character who can speak english (haibara) appears in all capitol letters "RUM". Because this seems unique, and this is a detective series where literally anything can be a clue to something else, people have a legitimate reason for thinking that it does mean something.

The reason so many replies happened is because you said " in the scriptwriter case Haibara called RUM "Rum" without the capitals", which is false (as you can see from Fuji's post). I though the reason for this might have been that you saw it in a language other than Japanese where the specific translators may have made it lower case, which would be their fault not yours. I did not mean to offend you. My initial post was in response to peoples thoughts that it could mean something. I thought it very interesting that those specific acronyms existed and that it could contribute to this thread, being a thread of Rum identity speculation. It all very well could be a red hearing, but its still worth looking at since we most likely still have a long time until we get any kind of confirmation on RUM's identity.

Also I've noticed a lot recently that lesser known manga cites are uploading the Chinese translations and labeling them as a Japanese raw. This could be simply because they don't know the difference, or that they think that any translation is good as long as it gives us the images for the file before the English comes out.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
User avatar
Spimer
Moderator
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts:
1351

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Spimer »

@jimmy_kud0_tv2: I admit that I was wrong about the scriptwriter case.

And I admit that Fuji has a point on Haibara mentioning the capitals despite not knowing the message Akai got.

Oh well. Guess it's pointless to speculate at this stage: there's not enough info.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
alphajjc

Posts:
94

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by alphajjc »

Spimer wrote:@jimmy_kud0_tv2: I admit that I was wrong about the scriptwriter case.

And I admit that Fuji has a point on Haibara mentioning the capitals despite not knowing the message Akai got.

Oh well. Guess it's pointless to speculate at this stage: there's not enough info.
This may be a little "Captain Obvious" but with the exception of the Bourbon arc, usually the person the arc is named after....especially with BO, appears immediately or within the first 20 episodes or something. The only exception so far has been the "Bourbon arc" where it took ages for us to meet Tooru Amuru.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I think with the Haibara arc it happened in the very first episode, Conan Arc we don't need to go there he is the title character :) . Kir again although undercover also was the person who appeared in the very first episode. And finally...Vermouth....remember the trilogy episodes from 176 to 178 we met her right away.

Like I just said the Bourbon arc is the only exception

Hopefully the pattern starts again because I am sure most of us don't want to wait years again lol. Let us all cross our fingers that we have a list of definite candidates by March.

PS. Gosho needs to add some new FBI members. I know some are dead but the full list of the BO members is alot more than FBI and it just makes it look very unbalanced.
User avatar
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Posts:
387
Contact:

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by unclesporkums »

I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
alphajjc

Posts:
94

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by alphajjc »

unclesporkums wrote:I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
I guess its just hard to see him being Gin's "Boss".
User avatar
MeiTanteixX

Posts:
1296

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by MeiTanteixX »

unclesporkums wrote:I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
Other than he's the most unlikely, have u considered the RUM descriptions, especially the artificial eye? Are u claiming they were just random gossips, or something like him being a master in disguise?
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
User avatar
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko

Posts:
52

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko »

I think if Koumei is RUM, he will be the feminine part of RUM (if RUM consists of 3 people) and not RUM himself. As Meitantei already said, he misses the artificial eye and as of yet has to show some disguising skills.

Personally, I suspect the old guy to be RUM. All BO members introduced were entirely new characters and I don't think that Gosho will change that pattern. Besides, the old man fits RUMs description almost perfectly.
"aim the impossible to reach the possible"
User avatar
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Posts:
387
Contact:

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by unclesporkums »

MeiTanteixX wrote:
unclesporkums wrote:I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
Other than he's the most unlikely, have u considered the RUM descriptions, especially the artificial eye? Are u claiming they were just random gossips, or something like him being a master in disguise?
No, he could have an artificial eye, and it doesn't look like it. I don't see why you're assuming I think that way..
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
User avatar
MeiTanteixX

Posts:
1296

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by MeiTanteixX »

unclesporkums wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
unclesporkums wrote:I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
Other than he's the most unlikely, have u considered the RUM descriptions, especially the artificial eye? Are u claiming they were just random gossips, or something like him being a master in disguise?
No, he could have an artificial eye, and it doesn't look like it. I don't see why you're assuming I think that way..
sorry if I wasn't clear...
I Wasn't assuming that u thought that way, I was simply asking if that was what you were claiming, since u just said it could be koumei without any explaination other than him being least expected... but shouldn't koumei look at least a little as though he was in an accident? scars and burns can't usually be avoided during eye accidents...
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Locked