Least favorite character

Versus polls and this-or-that contests should find themselves in here.

Which character is your least favorite?

Conan / Shinichi
1%
Ran
20%
Heiji
0%
Kazuha
0%
Mori Kogoro
1%
Kisaki Eri
No votes
Kudo Yusaku
0%
Kudo Yukiko
0%
Genta
20%
Mitsuhiko
2%
Ayumi
4%
Ai Haibara
8%
Professor Agasa
No votes
Sonoko
4%
Yamamura
10%
Megure
No votes
Yokomizo Sango
0%
Yokomizo Jugo
No votes
Matsumoto Kiyonaga
No votes
Takagi
No votes
Sato
No votes
Chiba
1%
Yumi
0%
Shiratori
1%
Kobayashi
No votes
Kujo Reiko
0%
Jodie
1%
Akai Shuichi
No votes
James Black
No votes
Andre Camel
No votes
Okiya Subaru
2%
Gin
0%
Vodka
0%
Vermouth
2%
Korn
0%
Chianti
2%
Kir
1%
Kaito Kid
3%
Inspector Nakamori
0%
Aoko
No votes
Suzuki Jirokichi
4%
Okino Yoko
1%
The dog Lupin
1%
The cat Goro
0%
Eisuke
8%

Total votes: 262
ProfParanoia

Re: Least favorite character

Post by ProfParanoia »

ShinRan36 wrote: 24 VOTES FOR RAN? WTF? Just because you all are jealous, because she is shinichis girlfriend and not ai.. well guys Im sorry but thats life.. :D
Detective Conan is life? I was not aware of this.
SirSigma
The Human

Post by SirSigma »

I voted Yamamura.

I'm perplexed as to why he's not winning. And Eisuke has a lot of votes too. I don't like Eisuke either, but at least he leaves the series at some point. But not Yamamura. Every time I see a case with him, I sigh and feel like it won't be so great.
Pmofmalasia

Post by Pmofmalasia »

SirSigma wrote: I voted Yamamura.

I'm perplexed as to why he's not winning. And Eisuke has a lot of votes too. I don't like Eisuke either, but at least he leaves the series at some point. But not Yamamura. Every time I see a case with him, I sigh and feel like it won't be so great.
I actually don't mind Eisuke as much as other people appear to.  Even though for a lot of his appearances he's a bumbling idiot, he suggests that part of it (although I doubt all of it) is an act, such as when he first meets Conan.  And the scene in which he leaves... that's one of my favorite scenes in the series.  But it does help that I'm a ShinRan fan for that point :P
3DS FC: 4983-5030-7788. Add me, Pokemon trainers!
Nix
<3

Post by Nix »

Well at least Eisuke figured out Conan was Shinichi.
I voted Genta. I know he's an annoying character and meant to be one, but everytime he does something stupid (like that Kid case with the hidden treasures and he stumbled into a room with spinning blades, goodness) I just hate his guts for it.
Yamamura at least doesn't show up too frequently.
3DS FC: 0688-5509-6235
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Jefufuh wrote: 14 votes for haibara. 14 VOTES FOR HAIBARA!!!!!!!  WHO. DID. THAT.
I don't dislike her, but I can guess why some people do. A lot of people default assume it is pairing war related, and for sure some of it is, but I have met at least a few people who don't like her for other reasons.
The most common one is that she's fine during normal cases, but whenever the Black Org comes up, she tends to be useless or worse than useless. She loses her cool and often breaks out a canned "you'll be killed" speech. Often she will do something knowingly suicidal thus necessitating rescue or a "babysitter" who can predict her moves that will push her into doing the correct thing. Because this only happens during "critical" times when the plot is in full effect, some people are bothered because she goes from normally helpful and on top of it to a drag.
Personally, I see believable troubling flaws as a healthy part of a balanced character lineup and I like characters who have them. Yes, even Genta and his childishness and tendency to get into trouble.
Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on January 3rd, 2013, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Hahah so much dislike for Genta.  Though the Uncle Jiro counts surprise me, I didn't even realise he appear enough to have people dislike him lol.

I'm not sure who to vote for actually.  Shiratori for being a creeper maybe?  But then he turns out to be the most doting boyfriend....this is hard.

I think if I have to vote it would be for "character who went through the most character decay".  So I still love them, just not as much as I did. 
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Callid
Ratio vincit omnia.

Post by Callid »

Yamamura for me. Followed by Chianti and Genta, BTW. Nakamori and Jirokichi are also incredibly annoying, but they are more MK than DC for me :x
Also, while I figured some people would, as Chekhov pointed out, default to pairing wars and select Ai or Ran, I'm surprised it's strong enough to make Ran the second-most hated character of all o.O
Also, I doubt that Ai's BO-fear would be that critical. If the main problem one has with her is that, in the beginning, she's useless against the BO, then one will probably have other characters with more serious issues.
If  ;), :D, ;D, ::), :P, :-X, :o or >:D are attached, that paragraph may not be 100% serious. Seriously.
This link provides further information.
Callid Conia Pact - Petitions - Archive
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Callid wrote: Yamamura for me. Followed by Chianti and Genta, BTW. Nakamori and Jirokichi are also incredibly annoying, but they are more MK than DC for me :x
Also, while I figured some people would, as Chekhov pointed out, default to pairing wars and select Ai or Ran, I'm surprised it's strong enough to make Ran the second-most hated character of all o.O
Also, I doubt that Ai's BO-fear would be that critical. If the main problem one has with her is that, in the beginning, she's useless against the BO, then one will probably have other characters with more serious issues.
yeah seriously. With very few exceptions, most of the characters beyond Conan and some plot characters are usually pointless or at least easily replaceable in any particularly case. Need Ran to be action girl? Kazuha exists (Sera too!). Need someone to fall asleep to "solve" the case? Put in Yamamura or have Agasa lip-synch instead. Need conveniently known information? Everyone falls victim to that in this show. ...Takagi knows some random stuff btw.
Last edited by kkslider5552000 on January 3rd, 2013, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
El Huesudo II
BAROU

Post by El Huesudo II »

kkslider5552000 wrote:Need Ran to be action girl? Kazuha exists (Sera too!).
No. Need an action girl? There's Ran. Need to have Kazuha or Sera being actiony? Have them combo with Ran.

Ran is the goddamned heroine and deserves more action. Hell, making her more active would possibly make people hate her less, too!
kkslider5552000 wrote:Need someone to fall asleep to "solve" the case? Put in Yamamura or have Agasa lip-synch instead.
Nope. Need a case-solving puppet? There's Kogoro. Or Sonoko. Agasa lip-synchs are funny, sure. But Yamamura? Not at all needed.

And as I said before, poor Genta. 6~7 year old kids are like that. No, seriously, they are. I don't see the problem with it.
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

El Huesudo II wrote: Ran is the goddamned heroine and deserves more action. Hell, making her more active would possibly make people hate her less, too!
I have to agree. I'll admit that I've skimmed to the point of skipping most recent chapters (I am just so bloody sick of filler), but it's been far too long since Ran got to kick some serious ass. Remember the days when a criminal would grab Ran to use her as a hostage and Conan and Kogoro would be scared for the CRIMINAL? Remember when anyone who even looked at Conan funny got their ass thoroughly handed to them by Ran?

I would so love to see Ran get in a fight with a BO member like she did in M13. I would love to lay to rest this enduring idea that Shinichi can't tell Ran the truth because it would upset her, mainly because I don't want a female protagonist who curls up and cries when her boyfriend's in danger. I want a female protagonist who gets up and kicks everybody's ass until he's safe again.

And then gives him the slap he's just asking for for jerking her around for so long.
El Huesudo II
BAROU

Post by El Huesudo II »

mangaluva wrote:I would so love to see Ran get in a fight with a BO member like she did in M13. I would love to lay to rest this enduring idea that Shinichi can't tell Ran the truth because it would upset her, mainly because I don't want a female protagonist who curls up and cries when her boyfriend's in danger. I want a female protagonist who gets up and kicks everybody's ass until he's safe again.

And then gives him the slap he's just asking for for jerking her around for so long.
YES. DAMMIT. YES.

Ran has already been in a BO-related danger situation and was REALLY GODDAMNED BADASS all the way through it. Why not have it happen again?
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Kid shonen mangas isn't well known for having great "heroines" lol.  In fact it might be better if they stopped using Ran for EVERY FREAKIN THING.  Those Conan movies....just no, either you write her as herself or you don't use her.  You don't OOC her into some strange plot device.... thing.  And oh stop using her in all those OP/ED too.  She needs to stop standing on stone pillars in the middle of the city/ holding umbrellas/ single dramatic tear/stare sadly into distance/etc etc and instead just appear with EVERYONE ELSE with an occasional karate kick for funs.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.  But that can apply to many people (Kogoro, Detective Boys, Agasa, even Ai, etc).  Have some Conan solo cases where he has to figure out how to make people believe him without the convenient Kogoro puppet around.  Fun times!  

And I think heroine isn't right because there is only one hero of this story and that is Conan.  She is the love interest but this story isn't about her :c.  
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
saorin
"If I hear you pine for me I will return straightaway to you."

Post by saorin »

El Huesudo II wrote:
mangaluva wrote:I would so love to see Ran get in a fight with a BO member like she did in M13. I would love to lay to rest this enduring idea that Shinichi can't tell Ran the truth because it would upset her, mainly because I don't want a female protagonist who curls up and cries when her boyfriend's in danger. I want a female protagonist who gets up and kicks everybody's ass until he's safe again.

YES. DAMMIT. YES.

Ran has already been in a BO-related danger situation and was REALLY GODDAMNED BADASS all the way through it. Why not have it happen again?
THIS!

On a side note, it's interesting that people whine about Ran being a "damsel in distress"... That is rather criticizing the writing/Gosho though. Especially as Ran is barely putting herself willingly/knowingly in danger but usually just "winds up in the wrong place at the wrong time". (Unlike, and now be honest, Haibara, who at least once put herself willingly AND knowingly in danger by basically wanting to commit suicide...We shouldn't have double standards here.)
Last edited by saorin on January 15th, 2013, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it.
("Macbeth")
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

saorin wrote:
El Huesudo II wrote:

YES. DAMMIT. YES.

THIS!

On a side note, it's interesting that people whine about Ran being a "damsel in distress"... That is rather criticizing the writing/Gosho though. Especially as Ran is barely putting herself willingly/knowingly in danger but usually just "winds up in the wrong place at the wrong time". (Unlike, and now be honest, Haibara, who at least once put herself willingly AND knowingly in danger by basically wanting to commit suicide...We shouldn't have double standards here.)
Three times*

What I don't like about Haibara is her "contradiction"/"Hypocrisy".

For one, she's telling others to protect themselves. Like conan, not to be too hasty and walk into the BO. Or once she also told Ayumi not to confront the criminal while they where hidden in the car and Ayumi had to identify the criminal.
But what does she do herself? Staying in the bus to get herself blown up. Or confronting Vermouth to get killed etc. Sure, she was "suicidal" back then. But she still didn't change much even tho she said she wouldn't do that anymore...

Then she also totally panics when she just hears "BO" or is feeling them. This in itself isn't really bothering, since she is scared of them.
But what happens when she's directly confronted with a BO, like, face to face?
Totally scared of Gin, but on the rooftop with Gin pointing a gun at her she's all like: "Why, hello there babe"
Totally scared of Vermouth when she just feels her presence or hears anything about her.... confronted her on her own and is also "Why, hello there babe"...

But what I didn't like at all was in one case, where the husband wanted to kill his own wife, failed and regretted it.
Haibara said she couldn't forgive such a person at all, never. This said by a person that was in an evil Organization, creating poisons that killed people (which she also confirmed personally) and even getting her own sister killed because she was in that organization.
Yeah, not contradicting at all :x

But I like all characters in DC XD It's just "least favorite".
At least Yamamura and co are supposed to be annoying :x I don't think Haibara is supposed to be contradicting D:
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

I'm not convinced that Haibara is meant to be entirely sane, having been hothoused by an evil organization from a young age as she was. But yeah, myself, I think she has a serious martyr syndrome and indelicately handled suicidal tendencies. She has a lot of major flags of depression (abnormal sleeping and eating patterns-in her case, it's repeatedly stating that she doesn't get enough of either-significant emotional flattening, repeatedly expressing suicidal thoughts and making suicide attempts) which have not been noticed by Conan or Agasa, supposedly geniuses, or handled in any way at all.

This just pisses me off and I feel like it nerfs her character that we don't get this complex emotional struggle better explored.