I'm Currently Watching...

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: I'm Currently Watching...

Postby kkslider5552000 » November 29th, 2019, 10:12 pm

No Guns Life is about a man with a gun for a head.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: viewtopic.php?f=10&p=879594#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » December 22nd, 2019, 11:10 pm

"Star Wars: Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker"

AKA the one where Darth Lord Jar Jar Binks steps out of the shadows at long last.
Spoiler:
I'm not going to spoil this, except that the decision made by a certain beautiful man to reprise his legendary character made this the best film in the Sequel Trilogy hands down, the other parts of the movie aside. Of course, "best film in the Sequel Trilogy" is not enough to establish that this was an objectively good movie because, well, I'm talking about the Sequel Trilogy here.
I enjoyed watching it. Once. But now I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again with somebody else in a couple of days. It felt like a very long movie, and that was when I didn't know exactly what was going to happen next.
Spoiler:
Unshackled lycanthrope as I am, only my appetite matters
I'm numb to all but this overwhelming sense of satisfaction
Leaning back my head to rest, letting my feral eyes nod off
My pants stained by the scarlet trickle leading from the body
My heart stops beating, and the razor thin tightrope snaps
Helplessly I plunge headfirst into the wrong side of eternity
My cup runneth over with bad karma, the pressure building
I will never escape the piercing glare of their lavender eyes

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » January 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am

Arakawa Under the Bridge

Should you watch it? Who knows. But here's my take.
Technically, it's about a group of mentally ill homeless people who live under a bridge. Except that it's a lighthearted comedy and does not seriously deal with themes associated with homelessness.

Pros: There's an exact Gin lookalike (and act-alike, mostly) who crossdresses as a nun and calls himself Sister, and a cute little girl who transforms into a hulking JoJo warrior.

Cons: The obligatory romantic arc between the hero and heroine is very weak, though there are cute moments and running gags. And the finale is a major letdown/ends on a cliffhanger. Aside from OP2 the music isn't very good.

Neutral: This series has a bizarre, otherworldly feel to it, especially the live-action sequences at the end.
Spoiler:

My fanfic account:
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » January 10th, 2020, 1:18 am

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

A rollercoaster ride, through and through. 12 episodes was not much but they made good use of the time they had.

First off:
Spoiler:
Congratulations, Japan. You accidentally stumbled upon the larger overarching narrative of the Bible (of The Fall, caused by stupid people making a stupid trade for silly reasons, of the complete and utter hopelessness of all those slated to be damned forever because they made the faustian bargain, and of an all-powerful and all-loving messianic figure who triumphs over the consequences of the Fall and saves everyone) and retold It with prepubescent anime girls instead. I thought this was a story of psychological horror but no. The psychological horror is what Madoka redeems humanity from.
In that sense this actually is a "positive" tale and rejects the gratuitous amoralism that defines most of television these days. It affirms that the protagonists did not deserve to have this sh*t happen to them, that such things as right and wrong do meaningfully exist, and that something/somebody needs to come along and set things right. In a time where shows trample over each other in the race to see which can be the most edgy and value-free, PMMM is truly edgy by doing the opposite. In this series all tragedy, however shocking, is bound to the premise of "tragedy shouldn't exist". It doesn't do this as the typical "token Aesop" that the animators really don't care about but are obliged to throw in, but rather they take it seriously. In PMMM, helping absolve people of their suffering, of healing scars that can't be healed, of restoring the hopelessly broken, is the point. Suffering is the point only so far as it sets up the larger point.

Second:
Based on how much stuff out there she had a hand in (she actually wrote the "Erased" ED that I thought was so amazing when I first watched the series, and otherwise has been composing stuff for anime literally since the mid-90s) combined with the sheer quality of what she tends to put out I must conclude by now that Yuki Kajiura is a freaking legend. And this same legend composed the overwhelming bulk of the music for this, when you count the OSTs.
(It should be noted that Yuki Kajiura is also behind the "Kalafina" act which composed the music for Kara no Kyokai along with some lesser quality series as well; in particular, Kalafina refers to the accompanying vocals who chant in a nonsensical but hauntingly beautiful language.)

Third:
Do not let appearances fool you. This is not a show for little girls. The producer deliberately tried to give that impression in artwork and in the Opening in order to troll unsuspecting fans but this is actually meant for a mature audience, though it's not very graphic.
It's on Netflix, and probably some other stuff as well, so it's not hard to watch.
Whether or not you want to go into this being spoiled about what's really going on is up to you. If you lack the time or motivation to re-watch this afterward, it might be better to go ahead and check out good old Wikipedia and/or TV Tropes to find out what to expect. Or maybe you'll get more out of this if it all comes as a big surprise. It's your choice.

(Aaaaaaand with that I've probably exhausted the very last of the handful of widely acclaimed masterpieces of anime. Time to lose my reason for getting out of bed in the mornings.)
Spoiler:

My fanfic account: