Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,009–1,012

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
yourereadingthis

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,009–1,0XX

Post by yourereadingthis »

Spoiler: My premature deduction
Morooka did it. He had the most control of the events in this file, including not letting his bodyguards stay and treating the bunny girls. I'm guessing he secretly took the butler's glasses and deliberately broke them and offered to get the spare in order to establish his alibi at the time when it was most likely her drink was poisoned. However he had already applied poison to Yuri's phone when she was sitting next to him (c.f. Kogoro noticing him touching her). Then while he was away from the group, Morooka either caused the butler's phone to activate the emergency alarm or because the butler was half blind without glasses he accidentally pressed the keys to unlock his phone and Morooka just sent the email to get him to unlock his phone. This triggered the bunny girls including Yuri to touch their phones. So her right hand came into contact with the poison, and then she touched the paper mat she used to cover her drink. This could have been something Morooka observed her doing in the past. The paper mat may have been wetted beforehand in order for the poison to become not only soluble but spread to the drink itself.

The other bunny girl in typical fashion of Gosho is way too suspicious (or is it a trick this time?) and any action taken by the butler to poison the drink would have been too obviously spotted by someone at the table.

Of course all this is assuming that the drink was found to contain poison lol.

Edit: Someone did point out we don't actually see her drink at the table. If she didn't then there goes my deduction lol
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

yourereadingthis wrote:
Spoiler: My premature deduction
Morooka did it. He had the most control of the events in this file, including not letting his bodyguards stay and treating the bunny girls. I'm guessing he secretly took the butler's glasses and deliberately broke them and offered to get the spare in order to establish his alibi at the time when it was most likely her drink was poisoned. However he had already applied poison to Yuri's phone when she was sitting next to him (c.f. Kogoro noticing him touching her). Then while he was away from the group, Morooka either caused the butler's phone to activate the emergency alarm or because the butler was half blind without glasses he accidentally pressed the keys to unlock his phone and Morooka just sent the email to get him to unlock his phone. This triggered the bunny girls including Yuri to touch their phones. So her right hand came into contact with the poison, and then she touched the paper mat she used to cover her drink. This could have been something Morooka observed her doing in the past. The paper mat may have been wetted beforehand in order for the poison to become not only soluble but spread to the drink itself.

The other bunny girl in typical fashion of Gosho is way too suspicious (or is it a trick this time?) and any action taken by the butler to poison the drink would have been too obviously spotted by someone at the table.

Of course all this is assuming that the drink was found to contain poison lol.

Edit: Someone did point out we don't actually see her drink at the table. If she didn't then there goes my deduction lol
Spoiler:
Several critiques of your theory:

1. The covering for the glass does not appear to be made out of paper. For one thing, it appears too thick, though that could just be an issue with how it was drawn. My guess is that it's made of wood or plastic, and in any case if it were paper we could reasonably expect it to lose its shape, were it to get wet. Furthermore, she only touched the outer edges of the cover with her hands. I don't see how the poison could get inside the glass that way.
2. She spilled wine not only on her cuff but also on her arm. Given this, one could reasonably expect her to wash her arm, if not her hand as well. Granted, it spilled on her left arm, and she grabbed the phone with her right.
3. If the poison were to be on her fingers in great enough quantities to kill her instantly, wouldn't she notice it there?
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

My thoughts on the file:
Spoiler:
There does not appear to be enough information yet to solve the case. And for that reason I'll be looking forward to 1010.
To me, the whole Akai-Amuro thing is just beating a dead horse by this point. This was supposed to have been mostly resolved at the end of the last arc. Also, the standoff at gunpoint seems a bit silly. The first one who makes the decision to pull the trigger would obviously win.
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

Spoiler:
Probably Somehow Bourbon succeeds stealing keys or make a dupe from locksmith or a disguise, facemask like Vermouth as Shin'ichi or Agasa, to Shin'ichi's mansion from Ran despite Ran's defense counter strategy, then surprise rendezvous Okiya at end, or Bourbon invaded Shin'ichi's mansion with PSB like Shiho, BO did, when Akai out, seized his choker, voice changer, glasses, disguise clothes, then confronted Akai without disguise face-2-face upon returning or Akai had a nightmare of their clash in upcoming files
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Swagnarok wrote:
Spoiler:
The first one who makes the decision to pull the trigger would obviously win.
Spoiler:
Uh... yeah...

I fail to see your point.

Of course, neither one will, but, that aside... how can we know which one would?
Swagnarok wrote:
Spoiler:
To me, the whole Akai-Amuro thing is just beating a dead horse by this point.
This was supposed to have been mostly resolved at the end of the last arc.
Spoiler:
Fact is, Akai and his family are intimately tied up with Rum, and Rei/Tōru/Bourbon is inherently tied up with Shūichi.

Now, Bourbon's been ordered by Rum to dig up something on Shinichi.

These two are Gosho's take on his favorite rivalry (Rey Amuro and Char Aznable—heck, he even got their voice actors to play their DC counterparts)—of course he's not going to just end that. And then there's the popularity of these two in Japan.

In the end, Gosho has tied Bourbon and Rum with Shūichi Akai and his family... that's just the new normal—it's by no means done with—of course overlap is going to happen... heck, I'm surprised there isn't even more overlap.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Valentin

Post by Valentin »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:IIRC, then Zero's tea time would be written by someone else not Aoyama. So that eating up Aoyama's time is not really a point.
The point isn’t that the spin-off will occupy Aoyama, but that I don’t see Shounen Sunday publishing it and the main series simultaneously. Hannin no Hanzawa-san is released in Shounen Sunday Super, which is ultimately a different magazine, so the two works don’t get each other in the way. ZERO’s Tea Time, on the other hand, will be included in the regular Shounen Sunday as well, and it will start when we can expect the current case to be over. That’s why I’m fairly confident that we won’t have both at the same time, meaning that there won’t be any Detective Conan in the May 9 issue and, since they’ll want to make more than one chapter, in the following ones either. So I think there’s going to be yet another hiatus from May and yet another return in July or so. But, again, let’s hope I’m wrong.
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Valentin wrote:...the news about an additional entry to the franchise that I can only regard as a temporary replacement to bridge time alone makes me rather pessimistic about Aoyama’s capability to provide material on a basis that sooner or later doesn’t become frustrating.
And how frustrating would this be? "Straw that broke the camel's back" frustrating?
In the end, it’s just a(n increasingly commercial) product, so there’s no significant frustration involved, of course. Generally, though, it’s not the breaks alone—if the author’s health doesn’t allow for more, then so be it—, but the content that comes if content comes. By all appearances, CARASUMA was resolved in File 1008 because, otherwise, people would—in relative terms—forget about the existence of the story; now, File 1009 obviously doesn’t happen to be put out when the new movie is hitting the cinema, and as much as there’s the possibility that the rivalry between Akai and Bourbon will actually be resolved, there’s the questionability if it was really supposed to be at this point. It’s the attitude that’s expressed: “Hi guys, I’ll just leave this episode here so that another plot line is off our chest. See you in three months, when I do the same with one of the remaining threads!”

To be fair, so far, I think we’re still predominantly in the realm of “This isn’t a dramatically shortened course of events”. Bourbon receiving orders to investigate Shinichi was part of the seemingly undamaged Kyoto School Trip Case, the most recent events show him doing just that, and if that leads to Akai being exposed, it’ll be fine, I guess.

We’ll have to observe how much of an abbreviation the upcoming Files turn out to be. If they don’t, having to be patient won’t be a problem for me.
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Valentin wrote:but that I don’t see Shounen Sunday publishing it and the main series simultaneously. Hannin no Hanzawa-san is released in Shounen Sunday Super, which is ultimately a different magazine, so the two works don’t get each other in the way. ZERO’s Tea Time, on the other hand, will be included in the regular Shounen Sunday as well, and it will start when we can expect the current case to be over. That’s why I’m fairly confident that we won’t have both at the same time
Well, with the manga series Magi, they actually did publish the spin-off Adventures of Sindbad in main Sunday as well at the same time - at least intially for some time, before moving the spin-off to their online publishing platform Ura Sunday. So I think it will be the same for Zero's Tea Time; take the promotion of the main magazine and then move it to their online distribution. But publishing it at the same time as the main series in the same magazine is not unprecedented with this publisher and magazine.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

My Deduction:
Spoiler:
It's either the client or the girl who soiled the Victim's cuff. Only their behaviour stands out. The Butler guy had kept his specs on the table. So how come they ended up beneath the table? Also the client trampled on them and got a great excuse to leave the scene.He would surely know the favourite drink of the victim, also victim thought that Ran and Conan were his wards. So the victim knew that the client is married. A great avenue of blackmail. The other girl(with Mugaish eyes) looks more suspicious. She was the one to create a fake accident to soil the victim's cuff. Probably her motive is personal rivalry. The butler looks innocent enough. TBH, he is a frequent customer of the cafe, he was able to send 3/4 sos messages to 3/4 bunnies accidentally. It's sort of proved that he has a snapchat/whatsapp group with those 3/4 girls thus proving intimacy.
Spoiler:
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Spoiler:
The butler looks innocent enough. TBH, he is a frequent customer of the cafe, he was able to send 3/4 sos messages to 3/4 bunnies accidentally. It's sort of proved that he has a snapchat/whatsapp group with those 3/4 girls thus proving intimacy.
Spoiler:
Thats not what that was for the phone alarm. The Japanese government has the power to mass message cell phones in times of crisis such as earthquakes/tsunamis in order to let people know and get to safety. When phones receive these texts it makes a loud noise. The old man simply set the SOS alarm on his phone off and it must have sounded similar enough to the alert noise that the phones make when receiving an earthquake text. They instinctively pulled out their phones to look at the message because they heard that noise, and exclaimed "What, an earthquake!?"
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Spoiler:
Before the spoilers get posted (if they get posted tonight) I'm going to post my guess. I think that the victim inhaled a toxic or poisonous gas that she tried to put her hand up to her mouth/nose to block from breathing in before she passed out. Its even possible that she might not be dead since it would take a bit more breathing of certain substances. I think that the gas was created by combining the carbonation (carbon dioxide) coming from her drink with some other substance on the surface of the drink coaster that she placed over her drink when she left the room. Placing the coaster on the drink seals in the carbon dioxide and gives it the chance to react with the other substance. With this kind of trick there may not be any sign of toxin actually found in her drink and they will start looking else where.

If she had ingested/digested a poison then she would have hit the floor possibly grabbing at her neck with her hands with her mouth and eyes wide open in terror/pain with that face of "I'm trying to scream but can't" look that most of the other poison victims in this series that die right in front of the detective.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Hmm... could it be that the bunny waitress was just 'faking' the act of being poisoned since she deliberately selected the glass with a paper mat cover on top? And it's just a set-up to divert attention away from the real murder that was planned to happen soon? The target must still be the 'client' who received the death-threat note delivered to him and it was planned by someone who is clearly familiar with the 'client's' habit and personality. In other words, knowing that he would still go to the black bunny club place despite receiving the warning so the murder could take place at that place. There must be a reason why the culprit would try to lure the client to go to that place while giving him a warning beforehand... most likely there would be one or more another accomplices positioned inside the place (probably another bunny waitress) to assist in the murder. The first accomplice to divert attention so that another accomplice could accomplish the murder. Just my theory. ::)
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
mtcc

Post by mtcc »

amuro could have conan fingerprints
from 998 p8
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Some 1010 spoilers by Fujiwara:
Spoiler:
Fujiwara: 1010 spoilers: So, Ran notices her wallet is gone (which contains her keys) and Murakami-bunny gives it back to her. She says Amuro gave it to her, claiming to have found it in front of the bathroom. Ran doesn’t check for the keys, so we don’t know whether they’re gone or Amuro just made a copy. Conan doesn’t seem to be in range to notice this exchange between Ran and bunny girl.
Also, Amuro has a sudden flashback to Elena(?!), but it’s just the same flashback from the tense tea party - nothing new so far. Then he wonders why he suddenly remembers Elena. (The flashback was merely triggered by talk about injuries.)
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Just a heads up, to those of you unaware—1,010 spoiler pics are now out.
Spoiler:
Specifically, it's the first and last page of the file.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Tantei San
It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Post by Tantei San »

Spoiler:
I am concerned, about the Butler, when he clearly mentioned he cannot see without his glasses. He specifically mentioned that he took out his phone to check his mails. If he can't then why did he. Also, when that alarm thing took over everyone's mind that when he slipped poison in her drink because clearly in the frame when she comes back , she is seen sitting at the same position that the butler was sitting prior. And she already has ordered her drink.