Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Uchiha Shadow wrote:I'd say we have 300 chapters left easily. And I'm being optimistic.
And that's based on the idea that the Bourbon arc is the new norm—instead of an anomaly—in terms of arc length and pacing, right?

And what's your more pessimistic estimate?
Do you want my estimation after the recent reveal or before? Because BOY did it change everything.......
Spoiler:
Huh, I guess it's pessimistic in the other direction (too quick), now... yeah, I'd still like your pre-1,008, more pessimistic (too long) estimate.

I do agree that this is probably the beginning of the end of DC...

...but again (as I said in my response to your post in the Anokata thread), it's way too early to jump and make sweeping assumptions.

We're gonna need a lot of info provided and a lot of questions answered, before we even think about sweeping assumptions.

And even if it's as cut and dry as, "Renya's the original and current boss, and he's shrunk, now," we still need more information provided and questions answered to determine how long it'll take for DC to finally end. At this point, with this uncertainty, it could be 2019, or it could be 2022. We just don't know.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

The chances that Gosho will now focus on the plot, and will stop doing filler cases are so small and depressing that I doubt that DC will end even in 10 years from now on.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Nemomon wrote:The chances that Gosho will now focus on the plot, and will stop doing filler cases are so small and depressing that I doubt that DC will end even in 10 years from now on.
Spoiler:
Still, you think that? Even after 1,008?

Then I guess you'd argue 1,008 really isn't a big deal, at all.

So Gosho's health issues won't be enough to stop him going another 10 years? Or the # of files will drop enough to accommodate 10 more years, in spite of the health issues?

But this is, basically, "Gosho won't get the chance to disappoint me again—I'm keeping my expectations low"
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

Nemomon wrote:The chances that Gosho will now focus on the plot, and will stop doing filler cases are so small and depressing that I doubt that DC will end even in 10 years from now on.
Spoiler:
Still, you think that? Even after 1,008?

Then I guess you'd argue 1,008 really isn't a big deal, at all.

So Gosho's health issues won't be enough to stop him going another 10 years? Or the # of files will drop enough to accommodate 10 more years, in spite of the health issues?

But this is, basically, "Gosho won't get the chance to disappoint me again—I'm keeping my expectations low"
Spoiler:
Yeah, perhaps. I mean the Carasuma thing is a huge development (though it's just a name), but that very possibility been discussed on DCTP as well. It puts a new light on certain things (for example Gin's words that Rum screwed something back then probably mean that Rum left the name of the BO on a crime place (but then again that 15 years proved that it was not a big deal anyway)), but that's all. Like You already state to someone else, we still need to reveal who's Rum, Mary must still learn how to trust people, Haneda must still learn how to play chess, Asaka must still learn how to be a normal woman, Conan must still take down Gin, Vodka, several other people, become friends with Vermouth and finally confess to Ran, and above everything else Gosho must stop giving us scraps of meat and start focusing on finishing the story. He was unable doing so through over 20 years, so I doubt he will start doing that now. Plus, he has now some health issues which as well could change into several months of break. Thankfully Gosho plays only Animal Crossing, and not - for example - Dragon Quest. In other words finishing all what he started requires still a lot of time and chapters, so I doubt that with the current flow of plot he will be able to finish them in a reasonable amount of time/chapters.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
DCUniverseAficionado

Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
Like You already state to someone else, we still need to reveal who's Rum, Mary must still learn how to trust people, Haneda must still learn how to play chess, Asaka must still learn how to be a normal woman, Conan must still take down Gin, Vodka, several other people, become friends with Vermouth and finally confess to Ran, and above everything else Gosho must stop giving us scraps of meat and start focusing on finishing the story.

He was unable doing so through over 20 years, so I doubt he will start doing that now.

Plus, he has now some health issues which as well could change into several months of break. Thankfully Gosho plays only Animal Crossing, and not - for example - Dragon Quest. In other words finishing all what he started requires still a lot of time and chapters, so I doubt that with the current flow of plot he will be able to finish them in a reasonable amount of time/chapters.
Spoiler:
Since the Rum arc started, I've believed we've had the greatest chance for progress—and now, we get the end of 1,008.

With it, I believe that the odds of Gosho progressing the story and having BO confrontation cases that aren't status-quo-preserving have never been higher. If Yusaku and Yukiko are now staying with him, full-time, who knows what developments could follow. The potential has reached another peak—and this time, it's not during the Bourbon arc, but, rather, in the arc about the BO's #2.

Basically, I'm willing to hope and be disappointed.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Spoiler:
As big as 1008 is, 1005 (solving the central romance) is still the more shocking development to me. I expected Gosho to tease us about the boss's identity for a while now, whereas I still can't believe ShinRan happened.
DCUniverseAficionado

thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
As big as 1008 is, 1005 (solving the central romance) is still the more shocking development to me. I expected Gosho to tease us about the boss's identity for a while now, whereas I still can't believe ShinRan happened.
Spoiler:
1,005 all but confirmed ShinichixRan. 1,008 confirmed it (Page 11)—leaving no room for any misunderstanding nonsense to nullify or neuter this
development—since it had Shinichi respond to Ran's text:

Ran's text from 1,005: "So we're boyfriend and girlfriend now, aren't we?"

Shinichi's response from 1,008: "Of course we’re dating!"

Yes, I completely agree that this is a big deal.
Spoiler:
So yeah, ShinichixRan becoming canon and Rum (via text) ordering Rei/Toru/Bourbon to look into Shinichi got swept aside by Yusaku's bombshell.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
Uchiha Shadow wrote:I'd say we have 300 chapters left easily. And I'm being optimistic.
And that's based on the idea that the Bourbon arc is the new norm—instead of an anomaly—in terms of arc length and pacing, right?

And what's your more pessimistic estimate?
Do you want my estimation after the recent reveal or before? Because BOY did it change everything.......
Spoiler:
Huh, I guess it's pessimistic in the other direction (too quick), now... yeah, I'd still like your pre-1,008, more pessimistic (too long) estimate.

I do agree that this is probably the beginning of the end of DC...

...but again (as I said in my response to your post in the Anokata thread), it's way too early to jump and make sweeping assumptions.

We're gonna need a lot of info provided and a lot of questions answered, before we even think about sweeping assumptions.

And even if it's as cut and dry as, "Renya's the original and current boss, and he's shrunk, now," we still need more information provided and questions answered to determine how long it'll take for DC to finally end. At this point, with this uncertainty, it could be 2019, or it could be 2022. We just don't know.
Spoiler:
I am conflicted about all this, the critic in me is happy because the pacing is finally picking up and we're starting to get answers to big questions, but the fan in me is sad because even if it loses it's quality over time, DC still has a special place in my heart and I'd be sad whne it finally ends. That being said my current estimation is that if Gosho is going for fast developments like this, we might be looking at a file 1100 or so ending, maybe a bit more, like 1150, but between 1200-1300 would be the most I can see it going now, before the reveal, I was thinking it could end up being 1400-1500 files at the most.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
1,005 all but confirmed ShinichixRan. 1,008 confirmed it (Page 11)—leaving no room for any misunderstanding nonsense to nullify or neuter this
development—since it had Shinichi respond to Ran's text:

Ran's text from 1,005: "So we're boyfriend and girlfriend now, aren't we?"

Shinichi's response from 1,008: "Of course we’re dating!"

Yes, I completely agree that this is a big deal.
Spoiler:
So yeah, ShinichixRan becoming canon and Rum (via text) ordering Rei/Toru/Bourbon to look into Shinichi got swept aside by Yusaku's bombshell.
Spoiler:
Agreed. The other thing is that Gosho has already done boss teasing more than a decade ago, when Conan got the boss's phone number. There was a period in like 2003 when everyone thought that Conan will end imminently because he can just call the boss and finish the story. Well, we all know where that went. So all this recent boss teasing could be another one of those early teases. However, I think finishing the ShinRan storyline is a one way street. There's no way Gosho will solve that now unless he's seriously planning the ending.
DCUniverseAficionado

thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Agreed. The other thing is that Gosho has already done boss teasing more than a decade ago, when Conan got the boss's phone number. There was a period in like 2003 when everyone thought that Conan will end imminently because he can just call the boss and finish the story. Well, we all know where that went. So all this recent boss teasing could be another one of those early teases.
Spoiler:
That may actually (finally) come back into play... at least, the odds of it coming back are at their highest, as of right now.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Agreed. The other thing is that Gosho has already done boss teasing more than a decade ago, when Conan got the boss's phone number. There was a period in like 2003 when everyone thought that Conan will end imminently because he can just call the boss and finish the story. Well, we all know where that went. So all this recent boss teasing could be another one of those early teases.
Spoiler:
That may actually (finally) come back into play... at least, the odds of it coming back are at their highest, as of right now.
Spoiler:
The in-story explanation for why Conan can't call the boss (Haibara: "It's too dangerous!!!") is still pretty BS. It's pretty obviously a ploy by Gosho to extend the story. Conan could have just given the number to the FBI or something and don't tell that the freaking FBI would be scared of calling the Black Org Boss.
Tantei San
It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Post by Tantei San »

Spoiler:
I agree as well, With Carasuma-Karasuma being brought back into play... i don't doubt the fact that the telephone number will be brought back.
As for how long it will take .. i say about 250 files-5 years whichever earlier... because since we have been told what the boss's name is..it is possible Conan could try to intercept more about it and RUM comes in between the whole pursuit ... and then the whole chase of RUM-Conan-BOSS begins..
irishock

Post by irishock »

I'd say this thing ends before the end of the decade.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

irishock wrote:I'd say this thing ends before the end of the decade.
I don't know. Gosho might not even be back from hiatus by the end of the decade if he goes full Togashi and gets addicted to animal crossing.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

thriceplus wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The in-story explanation for why Conan can't call the boss (Haibara: "It's too dangerous!!!") is still pretty BS. It's pretty obviously a ploy by Gosho to extend the story. Conan could have just given the number to the FBI or something and don't tell that the freaking FBI would be scared of calling the Black Org Boss.
Well yeah, good point, and don't tell me that the FBI or CIA or M16 can't run down a trace call or trace number to the actual owner of the phone number.
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler: