The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out Now!!!)

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
Valentin

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out Now!!)

Postby Valentin » December 4th, 2017, 11:31 pm

It has been quite a while since my review of Seimei / Still Alive back in July. Many things have happened, and at least in the context of the band’s official biography, this year will prove to have been their busiest one in three decades, with the number of entries surpassing their current record period, 2004. Let’s look at the activities one by one.

B’z SHOWCASE 2017 -B’z In Your Town-
I admit that it was pretty far-fetched to guess that they would not save Fukiarenasai for the winter and not opt for the most obvious choice to open the show, Seimei, which is presumably most suitable for dropping the curtain in such an intimate setting. While I was pleased to see the return of Liar! Liar!, Sayonara Kizudarake no Hibi yo and GO FOR IT, BABY -Kioku no Sanmyaku-, I was mesmerized to experience the resurrection of SAFETY LOVE and GO-GO-GIRLS. (A few weeks ago, a secret audio recording of that segment containing rare guest Hi as well as documenting not only how baffled the crowd was, but also how cool the main melody of SAFETY LOVE sounds when played with an electric guitar was available on YouTube for two or three days; unfortunately, I failed to save it. Perhaps someone else around here was more attentive?) Unlike the conservation of Uchouten, Mou Hanasanai finally being liberated from the prison of unperformed songs was a nice surprise, as was the stopping by of Pierrot, and MY LONELY TOWN getting sandwiched between the usual suspects Hadashi no Megami and Ichibu to Zenbu was another contribution to do some justice to this tune. In the obligatory ballad section, ONE was the ideal companion and lead-in to Sekai ha Anata no Iro ni Naru, which in my ears maintains its status as one of the strongest ballads in the entire catalog. And then came Shoudou, juice, Giri Giri chop, ultra soul and Samayoeru Aoi Dangan in direct succesion—is there a better way to substantiate the claim “the only surviving hard rock band in Japan”? Maybe there actually is, as the brand-new CHAMP argued convincingly. The conjunction with closer Still Alive was certainly a euphoriant reminder that this was just the calm before the storm.

ROCK IN JAPAN FESTIVAL 2017
As usual, a set list being a reduced version of a superordinate concert series, in this case B’z SHOWCASE 2017 -B’z In Your Town-, but this time possibly even better thanks to the insane quality density which made the good hour feel more like a fan compilation than a real event. Naturally, the same should hold true for the RISING SUN ROCK FESTIVAL 2017 in EZO. As enjoyable as this absolutely was, my wish that B’z SHOWCASE 2017 -B’z In Your Town- will be granted a full-fledged home video treatment remains nonetheless.

B’z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX
I don’t think I’m going to write anything new here, but … I don’t like this release. At all. It simply … makes no sense. From the get-go. Everyone knows that there will be a fifty-fourth single, and the sole piece of useful information that has potentially been added is that this fifty-fourth single might not hit the market before the thirtieth anniversary is officially over so that the (astonishingly many) owners of this questionable product can talk themselves into believing that this has been a long-term investment for a little while. Though the packaging appears incredibly charming, I won’t buy any supposedly “complete” collection unless it is, well, complete. If I were to decide anything, it would be that 2018 will not yield a B’z COMPLETE ALBUM BOX.

DINOSAUR
As I’m still enchanted by my first impressions, I’m going to lay out my detailed thoughts later. There are, however, three statements that I can make as early as now: It’s nothing like I expected, it’s nothing like I ever heard, and it’s nothing like I want to miss again. It’s disturbing to pronounce, but at the moment, compared to this, EPIC DAY almost doesn’t exist.

B’z LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 “LIVE DINOSAUR”
On account of “It’s nothing like I expected", I had to modify the pool of tracks which I anticipate reentering the stage. In plain alphabetical order, here are, along with their most recent inclusion, ten rather secondary compositions that I would regard as congenial supplements: Arakure (2007), Fever (2005), FIREBALL (2002), JAP THE RIPPER (2001), LOVE IS DEAD (2010), RING (2000), Shoushin (TV), SNOW (2008), SUPER LOVE SONG (2009), Yuruginai Mono Hitotsu (2006). Each and every one of those would receive a boiling hot welcome, especially … no, really, each and every one. In general, the opportunity to showcase outsiders like B-sides guilty, Makka na Silk, Narifuri Kamawazu Dakishimete, yokohama and Yoru yo Akenaide or basically anything from FRIENDS, FRIENDS II and The 7th Blues (and Too Young from C’mon) has never been as convenient as it is presently. By the way: Since it’s safe to assume that Fukiarenasai—the winter version of ultra soul—will be premiered at last, I wouldn’t mind them not celebrating the latter for once.

As fate willed, it’s merely a matter of hours until we have occasion to put my appraisal to the test since B’z are already conquering Zepp Tokyo to deliver a foretaste of the upcoming months. Yes, it’s matamata that time!
musikuss

Postby musikuss » December 5th, 2017, 6:12 am

Hey Folks! Long time no see ;)

I have a question about the new song "Champ".

The first time i heard of it it was an instrumental Cover from a Youtuber called "zoma" i am subscribed to.

I was really thrilled when i heard this version, the Pumping, Rocking Intro Riff made me smile .. also the little filler licks and the Solo Part.

Check it out please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17r4VJzNv-8

I thought this was going to be even better when played by B'z, a killer Song on the Album and Live ..

Has "zoma" come up with it or was this a Live Version of Champthey played sometime in 2017 ?

Unfortunately i was really disappointed by the Album Version, no killer Guitar Riff and Fills. Meh

The Guitar Intro sounds more like a recycle of "Ultra Soul" imho.
Compare the Intro of Champ with the Chorus and Delay Effect .. to the Intro of Ultra Soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb-ZeX7Mo8

Nearly identical sound, Champ has just more amp distortion on it.
Also the stomping drum beat is identical.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » December 6th, 2017, 5:36 am

It's been such a long time coming I nearly forgot it was imminent: the first of the 7-Eleven premium lives was held yesterday! Here is what the audience heard, and presumably they'll hear the same on Thursday for the follow-up in Osaka:

Spoiler:
7-Eleven presents B’z PREMIUM LIVE Setlist
[December 5, 2017 at Zepp Tokyo]

1. Seimei
2. CHAMP
3. Kodoku no Runaway
★ FIRST SINCE 2008
4. Haruka ★ LIVE DEBUT
5. Sore Demo Yappari ★ LIVE DEBUT
6. FIREBALL ★ FIRST SINCE 2002
7. Don’t Leave Me
8. SKYROCKET ★ LIVE DEBUT
9. Rooftop ★ LIVE DEBUT
10. Ichibu to Zenbu
11. DIVE
12. Dinosaur ★ LIVE DEBUT
13. King Of The Street ★ LIVE DEBUT
14. Fukiarenasai ★ LIVE DEBUT
15. Still Alive
16. ultra soul

You can very safely expect this to be a portion of what's played during LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 "LIVE DINOSAUR". However, if past smaller shows preceding dome showings are any indication, the order will no doubt be swapped around. You can expect the whole thing out on home video in May/June 2018 if I had to guess!

For some catch-up here: The "Still Alive" appearance on TV the other day was top tier stuff. Tak even brought back the Canary Yellow signature! Last seen in 2001, I figured it'd be extinct as far as live appearances go (there were some vague reports he used it during the above live show too). They'll be back on TV in a few hours to perform "Still Alive" and "Ichibu to Zenbu" together, for FNS.

Folka wrote:Ok, I had a "preview" of the CD. Very nice and refreshing sound. I think this is way better than EPIC DAY. Haruka was fantastic.
Also, on youtube a a rip of the DVD appeared. I don't know how much it will last, but I watched it yesterday. B'z are really STILL ALIVE (and kicking)!!!

One issue I always had from the moment EPIC DAY was announced was the short runtime. Because it was also going to be issued on vinyl, the concession that had to be made was less songs. That gives the album itself less time to breathe, and while shorter albums are the norm in music these days, it's always nice to have a work like DINOSAUR where we have a nice balance all the way through and the opportunity to experiment a bit. More so than all of the releases I've been 'round for (dating back to MONSTER), I have a new song running through my head at different times of day. There's just so much to take in with this one that I really have no complaints.

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:my tracking says it's still in Tokyo xD

And—! Let us know when it at last arrives. The day shall go down in history, surely...!

Valentin wrote:It has been quite a while since my review of Seimei / Still Alive back in July. Many things have happened, and at least in the context of the band’s official biography, this year will prove to have been their busiest one in three decades, with the number of entries surpassing their current record period, 2004. Let’s look at the activities one by one.
. . . . .
B’z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX
I don’t think I’m going to write anything new here, but … I don’t like this release. At all. It simply … makes no sense. From the get-go. Everyone knows that there will be a fifty-fourth single, and the sole piece of useful information that has potentially been added is that this fifty-fourth single might not hit the market before the thirtieth anniversary is officially over so that the (astonishingly many) owners of this questionable product can talk themselves into believing that this has been a long-term investment for a little while. Though the packaging appears incredibly charming, I won’t buy any supposedly “complete” collection unless it is, well, complete. If I were to decide anything, it would be that 2018 will not yield a B’z COMPLETE ALBUM BOX.
. . . . .
B’z LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 “LIVE DINOSAUR”
On account of “It’s nothing like I expected", I had to modify the pool of tracks which I anticipate reentering the stage. In plain alphabetical order, here are, along with their most recent inclusion, ten rather secondary compositions that I would regard as congenial supplements: Arakure (2007), Fever (2005), FIREBALL (2002), JAP THE RIPPER (2001), LOVE IS DEAD (2010), RING (2000), Shoushin (TV), SNOW (2008), SUPER LOVE SONG (2009), Yuruginai Mono Hitotsu (2006). Each and every one of those would receive a boiling hot welcome, especially … no, really, each and every one. In general, the opportunity to showcase outsiders like B-sides guilty, Makka na Silk, Narifuri Kamawazu Dakishimete, yokohama and Yoru yo Akenaide or basically anything from FRIENDS, FRIENDS II and The 7th Blues (and Too Young from C’mon) has never been as convenient as it is presently. By the way: Since it’s safe to assume that Fukiarenasai—the winter version of ultra soul—will be premiered at last, I wouldn’t mind them not celebrating the latter for once.

First of all: Awesome post! It looks like the songs you wanted to hear at the bottom there may get answered in some form for sure—! And I bet we'll also get to hear "Itsuka no Merry Christmas" on the first part of this tour. I can't even put into words just how hype it'd be for "JAP THE RIPPER" to be performed for the Nissan Stadium show next September. A crowd that size, amidst all of their staples, with that sort of song—it'd really just be the icing on the cake.

As for the COMPLETE SINGLE BOX: I was talking about this the other day with a friend and I was thinking for these specialty releases, how about vinyl reissues of the older albums instead of an album box? That'd just be interesting from a novelty standpoint. The one thing I'd like to come out of a potential COMPLETE ALBUM BOX is live footage of album songs we haven't yet seen. Excerpts from LIVE-GYM BIG MACHINE, proper releases of those from RUN, etc. I don't know if that's a good idea, though, just because that'd diminish their motivation for releasing the whole shows someday... Really tough call!

IrelandCalling wrote:I have it!! Shall be listening this evening; listened to King of the Street and Haruka so far; as well as the 4 we already knew from the promo vidoes - have to say this far sounding brilliant :)

Official Deluxe CD/DVD arriving 12th December, til then thankfully I can hear this new work from the legendary B'z! I saw the DVD on YouTube also and it absolutely rocks, the energy is incredible and the track selection pretty much flawless. There are other clips from 2017 on YouTube from 'Dream Festival'? I wonder was that show filmed in full?

"King Of The Street" is really something else. I've been grooving to that track for a few days now, and that guitar lick at the beginning is absurdly tiring. Great practice, though!

As for the other live clips: We know that virtually every B'z show since at least 1990 has been filmed in full, at some point in each tour. The question is just how much we'll see as time goes on—we can hope they'll eventually do some deep dives into that archive!

k11chi wrote:B'z Never disappoints absolute greatness and a joy to listen to.

You know it! If you didn't yet get a chance to check out B'z XX9, mayhaps that'll bridge your way to the next single/album. Could come as early as March...!?

musikuss wrote:Hey Folks! Long time no see ;)

I have a question about the new song "Champ".

The first time i heard of it it was an instrumental Cover from a Youtuber called "zoma" i am subscribed to.

I was really thrilled when i heard this version, the Pumping, Rocking Intro Riff made me smile .. also the little filler licks and the Solo Part.

Check it out please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17r4VJzNv-8

I thought this was going to be even better when played by B'z, a killer Song on the Album and Live ..

Has "zoma" come up with it or was this a Live Version of Champthey played sometime in 2017 ?

Hey musikuss! Long time no see indeed!

Ah, Zoma! The guy's a monster. What he did there was extrapolate his version of what the rest of the track "could sound like" as he says. He's done it in the past when there have only been a few brief seconds available which is what he did there. Guy can really play guitar all the same!

My favorite I heard from him was the time he played the full melody to "RED":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkD-nz4PZpk

Oh, and if anyone's interested, there's a big write-up on OFFTHELOCK about Tak's guitars used for the recording of DINOSAUR along with which tracks on which you can hear 'em.

Folka

Postby Folka » December 11th, 2017, 4:18 pm

No one wrote it, I was waiting for confirmation. Then I checked myself.
DINOSAUR 1ST AGAIN ON THE ORICON WEEKLY CHART!!!
CrimsonDragon

Postby CrimsonDragon » December 12th, 2017, 6:50 pm

I have a feeling that "CHAMP" will become one of the next B'z legendary songs, if not in the long term, at least for the next few tours. "Purple Pink Orange" is incredible... based on the title you would assume it's a happy song reminiscent of "National Holiday", but it's totally something unexpected and I love it! The album certainly has an eclectic mix of tracks and you can hear the band experimenting a lot - "SKYROCKET" and "Haruku" are funky tunes, while "King Of The Street" is bound to be a live hit. "Sore Demo Yappari" evokes songs from the past with lyrics and melody that feels bittersweet. I love the riff used in "Rooftop". Title track "Dinosaur" is no doubt going to be one of the standout tracks from the album and the upcoming tour with that epic guitar solo in the beginning. "Itoshiki Yuurei" reminds me of ballads from LOOSE and SURVIVE. "Queen Of The Night" is quite an interesting track... I do hope they manage to perform all songs from the album! As for "Still Alive", it's such an incredible song, and "Seimei" - every time I hear this I can't help but think of coffee, it certainly wakes me up! Overall, I'm really impressed by the album. The bonus DVD / Blu-ray included really shows how awesome B'z are.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » December 12th, 2017, 7:34 pm

There's a slight change to the B'z Hype Topic on the way: a new manager! Resident B'z scholar and pal CrimsonDragon will be helping out by ensuring everything stays updated going into the 30th anniversary year. Given the anniversary will bring with it so many updates and developments and (hopefully!) releases, I thought it'd be best to ensure there's always someone on watch to keep it all archived for those that get their news by checking in here.

I'll of course still be around to participate in the hype, and here's some proof:
Spoiler:

And, as teased prior, there will be a BIG announcement coming later this month!

Folka wrote:No one wrote it, I was waiting for confirmation. Then I checked myself.
DINOSAUR 1ST AGAIN ON THE ORICON WEEKLY CHART!!!

That's right! That's a lot of number one albums under their belt. The fact we've come this far with a rock band is really astounding, especially in the burgeoning idol culture. Of course, the records mean nothing without great music to back it up, and given the quality output B'z has put on shelves time and time again, for thirty years, it's really unprecedented. I'd say most of the singles records will go to idol groups like AKB48 in time due to their focus on handshake tickets and releasing a dozen editions per single with the goal of fans buying 'em all each time. The idea that a rock group with the country's foremost guitarist ever made it this far is worth celebrating if you ask me!

We've also got some news about the tour goods for LIVE DINOSAUR and the first signs of what the "B'z 30th Year" branding will entail. There will be thirty different products created with thirty different well-known companies. One of the first will be a B'z-themed version of The Game of Life—yes, the board game! There will be some clothing made with New Era and biker apparel company Schott as well.

Also, LIVE DINOSAUR starts in just two days (!!). I'm expecting some hype, let's see!