Detective Conan Movie 21: "Dark crimson Love Letter" (2017)

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Detective Conan Movie 21: "Dark crimson Love Letter" (2017)

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Kor wrote:The romance genre isn't something I've ever actively sought, and I don't/didn't read many manga (would rather watch that stuff animated, though nowadays I don't watch much anime as well), so I can't really give any names here.
Anyone else wanna name other mangakas who are good romance writers?
Kor wrote:...romantic subplot in which it was clear from very early on that the de-facto couple will end up together so quite clearly there are zero stakes with this love rivalry.
Yeah, there's basically a .00001 chance that Heiji will end up with Momiji—not exactly compelling, right?

I just wonder how many more years Gosho will put off resolution(s) to this subplot. It's now been 4 years since we started the "what's going to stop Heiji from confessing" guessing game, and it's been a year and a half since Momiji came into the picture. Now that she's actually interacted with Heiji (who basically ignores her—in the movie, he basically looks at her advances and goes, "wut.") and Kazuha (a couple lines over the phone), what's next? I guess she'll have Muga stalk him and just barge in when she thinks the time is right, and he'll just ignore her or be incredulous, and there'll be a misunderstanding on Kazuha's part.
Kor wrote:I don't know about the 2nd point, cause if these subplots didn't exist, there'd probably be other distractions.
That is, non-romantic subplots?
Kor wrote:As for the rest, yeah, I guess that's one way to put it. Thing is, it's not the end of the world that some of these characters aren't complex and developed. It's a shonen manga and (despite what may be implied at times from some of my criticism) I don't expect it to be some high art literary fiction. It's okay if minor recurring character that doesn't amount to anything remains minor recurring character that doesn't amount to anything.
Ah, gotcha. But there is a basic level of quality that needs to be met, right?
Kor wrote:When a lot of us in the forum collectively facepalmed once we learned that Chiba's getting a love interest, it's not because Chiba was some character with potential to be anything more than... Chiba. Chiba could have remained childhood-friend-less and just continue to do... whatever Chiba was doing before Naeko was brought in. There was never any real need to give this character a subplot, but okay, Gosho decided to give this character a subplot and do something with him. And what did Gosho decide to do with this character? Add him to the list of characters a childhood love interest. Same thing applies to Heiji/Kazuha/Momiji. Gosho didn't have to introduce a "love rival" that isn't going to affect anything (who also happens to be a character Heiji met as a kid once), but he did.
So it came off as Gosho was doing it just because he could—it's just there... and the execution doesn't help, either.
Serinox wrote:Though for now at least the met-in-childhood part is movie only. In the manga, Momiji just wants to marry Heiji, but no reference whatsoever have been made to their promise or anything else. Considering that misunderstanding they had as children was resolved within the movie, I don't know if it will ever be imported into the manga at all.
I doubt Gosho's going to create a different backstory for the manga—why would he change the met-in-childhood part?

As far as I'm concerned, Heiji's and Momiji's backstory in Movie 21 is also their manga backstory. That's how sure I am that he's not going to change it.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:Though for now at least the met-in-childhood part is movie only. In the manga, Momiji just wants to marry Heiji, but no reference whatsoever have been made to their promise or anything else. Considering that misunderstanding they had as children was resolved within the movie, I don't know if it will ever be imported into the manga at all.
I doubt Gosho's going to create a different backstory for the manga—why would he change the met-in-childhood part?

As far as I'm concerned, Heiji's and Momiji's backstory in Movie 21 is also their manga backstory. That's how sure I am that he's not going to change it.
From what I'm getting, Serinox's argument is not that the backstory will change, but that it won't be referred to or inserted in the manga just in general. I agree with him on that. Gosho seems to have intentionally set it up so that the movie becomes her introduction(in terms of her whole history with Heiji), but the manga will focus on her actions from here on(unrelated to her history with him, that was resolved in the movie).
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

MeiTanteixX wrote:From what I'm getting, Serinox's argument is not that the backstory will change, but that it won't be referred to or inserted in the manga just in general. I agree with him on that. Gosho seems to have intentionally set it up so that the movie becomes her introduction(in terms of her whole history with Heiji), but the manga will focus on her actions from here on(unrelated to her history with him, that was resolved in the movie).
If that's the contention, then yes, I agree. I was just bringing up that I really don't believe that the backstory will change—it was more using another comment to make a general statement than anything else.

The Movie 21 backstory seems to be there for those who may want to know why Momiji wants to marry Heiji—I don't see it being vital to the manga, and, thus, those who have no interest in that backstory will not be disadvantaged from not looking into it.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:If that's the contention, then yes, I agree. I was just bringing up that I really don't believe that the backstory will change—it was more using another comment to make a general statement than anything else.
Gotcha ;)
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Haibara & Aika ryona

Post by Haibara & Aika ryona »

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Haibara & Aika ryona wrote:But really boring movie, and not really a movie also.
What do you not hate about DC again?
When I wrote about this movie is so voring, look what you said, and when everyone said this movie is so awful, you didn,t say anything. Not only me who hate a lot of things in dc, but no, only me who get these frustrating words
Haibara & Aika ryona

Post by Haibara & Aika ryona »

Haibara & Aika ryona wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Haibara & Aika ryona wrote:But really boring movie, and not really a movie also.
What do you not hate about DC again?
When I wrote about this movie is so voring, look what you said, and when everyone said this movie is so awful, you didn,t say anything. Not only me who hate a lot of things in dc, but no, only me who get these frustrating words
Why you didn't answer me?

It looks like that you don't have any answer
Magical Mystery
from "Phantom Thief Kid's Miracle Midair Walk"

Post by Magical Mystery »

Well, we have something new to talk about with this movie - it's ranking for the year.

According to Box Office Mojo Detective Conan: Crimson Love Letter is the third biggest movie of the year in Japan.
The only movies that have topped it in sales are Beauty and the Beast (2017) and Despicable Me 3.

It's sales totaled $60,119,489 (American Dollars).

Link here...
Box Office Mojo 2017 Japanese Movie Ranking.
Life is just a magical mystery.
Henry Gordan
Most likely DCTP's biggest Formula 1, The Beatles, The Who and cross-country skiing fan

Post by Henry Gordan »

Kor wrote:Can I say... both?

There has to be some combination of a writer, director, editor, etc. who can probably execute something like that in an okay manner (at least the love rival aspect. The met-once-in-childhood is a very sketchy element that is very hard to take seriously because the idea that someone will be so completely infatuated with someone they met once as kids, reads awful on paper.)
Child rivalry can carry until adulthood. But not if you meet someone once most likely. But in sports you most likely compete with the same aged people, so you have the same rivals your whole life.
"Why have you brought us to shelter in a fuel dump, Andrew?"
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

My live thoughts on the movie. Finally.
Spoiler:
-Damn, they're really taking advantage of being able to show red blood early on in this one.

-"but why are we here watching a karuta match" Good hyping question!

-Someone was told to make Karuta cards interesting for the title reveal. That poor soul.

-They are trying REALLY HARD to make the standard Detective Conan movie intro interesting. Showing the clips among a wall and distracting it with police tape is awful. Having the characters turn into weird black and white manga cutouts is AWESOME and one of the rare times that the Detective Conan anime has done something notably creative aesthetically.

-Good or bad though, this is the easily one of the most visually interesting things I've ever seen this series do. And everyone involved deserves a raise.

-I don't buy that he did it. Too easy.

-Ok, her IMMEDIATE AND SUDDEN crazy confession is pretty funny.

-"I can't leave those Karuta here after all!" This is a completely logical thing to do!!!

-Did no one notice A SHADOW MAN is in the crowd?

-Genta instinctively wants to get close to the exploded building. It MUST have eel in it somewhere, that's literally the only explanation. For anything Genta has ever done or will ever do.

-Wow, so the climax of the movie starts before the half hour mark. That's a new one. :V

-RAN'S MILDLY SAD FACE WILL MOTIVATE ME!

-So where does "Conan speeds rapidly around a satellite to try to throw himself all the way to the river, only to fail, only to be caught by Heiji in mid-air" rank in terms of implausible, insane scenes in these movies? It probably doesn't beat him surviving gunshots in Movie 14 or...half of the last movie, but it has to be up there, surely.

-Wow, these new robots look just like children!

-That moment when even Conan and Ran think your childhood romance ideas are stupid

-THE CHIPMUNK INSPECTOR : D

-Makoto's seiyuu was brought in for an entirely pointless line

-Something about Agasa on the phone with the UI all around him is so stupid looking, I have to like it

-If a relevant part of your movie is "I randomly decided _____ as a kid", rewrite it until it isn't.

-KARUTA IS DEADLY

-Thank you Ran, for basically confirming that her concentration WILL be hurt when she INEVITABLY sees that photo

-It was actually as stupid as expected

-MUST. MAKE. KARUTA. CARDS. VISUALLY. INTERESTING.

-And then he himself blew up. Good job!

-What a random song from the regular Conan OST to use...

-That apology is so random, he HAS to be the culprit, right?

-Ok, that explains the early climax. Because the actual climax was...lame. Ok.

-I approve of the 1 second cameo of a skeleton

-I like how Heiji is unintentionally implying that Conan would've died if his plan from the first climax actually worked

-"I'll kill ya! >:D " Heiji's transformation into "shonen protagonist with a literal inner demon" has begun I suppose!

-Oh, this song. That's slightly underwhelming.

-Ok, the limo gag was great.

That sure was a Conan movie. Like, there are things to talk about, but after a few legitimately interesting movies, this was back closer to the realm of "mediocre film I kinda liked". The subject matter is so not worth my time in terms of the "gimmick" of the movie, but I was not bored by it either, to be fair. Though how sad is it, that anything you can say about this attempt at a love triangle, it's still clearly better than the borderline pointlessness that's been this relationship story for ages? I'll take improvements when I can get them I guess. At least Kazuha wasn't scared of the supernatural for this one.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
leidilily

Post by leidilily »

This is a good movie. Better than movie 20.
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

Animation of Autumn Kyoto backgrounds were very beautiful.
Satsuki-dou is based on a real location, its featured on Kaito's kannon heist as well.... http://cocomirai.com/conanroke-8864/
It's Sanbutsu-ji on Mt. Mitoku, located in Tottori prefecture, Gosho-sensei's home. It does looks beautiful in autumn, though not much as in anime.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

I don't know about that. Real world can look amazing if you know where to look, tourist spots and so on. Maybe one day I'll travel too...
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

Yes! Togetsukyou & Arashiyama are very beautiful.