What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
NinaSakura

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by NinaSakura »

Mmm...Pardon me if this sounds utterly crazy...
But I think Rum might be Professor Agasa... :-\ :-\

"ASACA" seems strangely similar to "AGASA"
His hair is long which might suggest feminine physique
He is an old man
And he's huge which might be interpreted as being strong
dccd

Post by dccd »

Cool that you noticed it too :-).
I still think he won´t be Rum due to being a member of the "Conan-Team" and a good character at all.
But nethertheless it´s still possible.
[ ] Yonehara = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Rumi = Asaka
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey (aka the RAT)
[ ] Iori = just a butler
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Wakarimashita wrote:One page later she says she marked him as "deceased" because his case interested her.
Did she alter the list or just stated to BO that her investigation pointed out that he was dead?
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Wakarimashita wrote:One page later she says she marked him as "deceased" because his case interested her.
Did she alter the list or just stated to BO that her investigation pointed out that he was dead?
She altered the list—changed his status on it from "unconfirmed" to "dead."
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Ok. So the list before Sherry altered it had Shinichi's status as Unconfirmed, later Sherry changed it. But does it mean based on this one can imply that Kohji wasn't killed by APTX as the list can be altered?
BTW is the Japanese raw with Eng text below is already out?
Last edited by Zerozaki4869 on May 29th, 2017, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Ok. So the list before Sherry altered it had Shinichi's status as Unconfirmed, later Sherry changed it. But does it mean based on this one can imply that Kohji wasn't killed by APTX as the list can be altered?
NinaSakura wrote:Mmm...Pardon me if this sounds utterly crazy...

He is an old man
It's a very low probability assumption but you still will get marks for pointing out Agasa's similarity with Rum.
But here the issue is that Kohji had to know that Agasa was Rum, for that Kohji had to be related with BO.
Also Haibara would have felt pressure from Agasa.
Last edited by Spimer on May 29th, 2017, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined your posts, please try to avoid double posting
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:Ok. So the list before Sherry altered it had Shinichi's status as Unconfirmed, later Sherry changed it. But does it mean based on this that Kohji wasn't killed by APTX as the list can be altered?
Japanese raws won't be out until tomorrow (at the earliest) or Wednesday (at the latest).
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
NinaSakura

Post by NinaSakura »

dccd wrote:Cool that you noticed it too :-).
I still think he won´t be Rum due to being a member of the "Conan-Team" and a good character at all.
Yeah...I figured as much too ;D Agasa being Rum would take a lot of explaining to do and might leave a lot of questions... ;D I was just excited that the description seemed to fit Agasa as if it was tailored for him ;D
Zerozaki4869 wrote:

He is an old man
It's a very low probability assumption but you still will get marks for pointing out Agasa's similarity with Rum.
But here the issue is that Kohji had to know that Agasa was Rum, for that Kohji had to be related with BO.

I thought those through too and I was kinda depending on exceptions to cover for me there... ;D
Amanda might have somehow known some sorta info on Rum and told Kohji which was maybe why they were killed in the first place
And about Haibara not sensing vibes from the Professor...There is a possibility Rum remained low key within the BO and rarely made contact with the others and so he didn't give off that kinda dark aura... :-\
But I'd still rather stick on with the concept of Agasa being a good guy....like I said....a lot of things would become difficult to explain if it were not so....
Last edited by Spimer on May 29th, 2017, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined your posts, please try to avoid double posting
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

While I also do not believe that Agasa is Rum, I think people would rather say that Rum is fat, and not looking like a strong man. And Haibara might not feel anything from him because Rum has his own agenda, and it is kunda different from Anokata's one. Similarly like Vermouth. Finally, Haibara might actually know who Rum exactly is, but (like always) she lied to Conan about him saying that she only heard some rumours about him. It can be hard to believe that a second-in-command was not interested in the BO's top project - the drug - and was not contacting Sherry about it.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

NinaSakura wrote:
Yeah...I figured as much too ;D Agasa being Rum would take a lot of explaining to do and might leave a lot of questions... ;D I was just excited that the description seemed to fit Agasa as if it was tailored for him ;D
Zerozaki4869 wrote:

He is an old man

I thought those through too and I was kinda depending on exceptions to cover for me there... ;D
Amanda might have somehow known some sorta info on Rum and told Kohji which was maybe why they were killed in the first place
And about Haibara not sensing vibes from the Professor...There is a possibility Rum remained low key within the BO and rarely made contact with the others and so he didn't give off that kinda dark aura... :-\
But I'd still rather stick on with the concept of Agasa being a good guy....like I said....a lot of things would become difficult to explain if it were not so....
Still, how would Kohji know that the person who is attacking him has code-name Rum? Here Kohji needs to have two pieces of information,
a) Agasa is Rum.
b) Rum is the one attacking him.
Is there any reason to believe that Amanda knew about Agasa's secret identity?
The question further arises, why Amanda would divulge this much information to Kohji?
There is another question that you need to answer why Kohji would think that the Rum part of the message would help Police get close on Agasa? Agasa is enough to implicate him(Agasa).
Haibara mentioned to Conan that Run knew her and if Rum saw her, she would have been killed. Why Agasa is keeping her alive?

Don't rely on exceptions to cover for your theory, then it's nothing more than a fan-fiction.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:Ok. So the list before Sherry altered it had Shinichi's status as Unconfirmed, later Sherry changed it. But does it mean based on this one can imply that Kohji wasn't killed by APTX as the list can be altered?
No, but it opens certains possibilities regarding people, even 3rd parties manipulating the list to save someone like Kuroda, Mary or Papa Akai. It's hard to save Kohji anymore unless the dead body that the public found was not Kohji...
dccd

Post by dccd »

Dude, seriously stop this.
There is no proof by now that Kohji knew who Rum was nor that he intentionally wrote a dying message pointing on him.
As long as this isn´t confirmed you just cant deny other theories by asking this questions.

I know there are some more competitive people here, but it kinda destroys the atmosphere when someone immediatly "attacks" one other.
I did the same and I realized lately how inappropriate this was.
Some people should do the same.
[ ] Yonehara = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Rumi = Asaka
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey (aka the RAT)
[ ] Iori = just a butler
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

k11chi wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:Ok. So the list before Sherry altered it had Shinichi's status as Unconfirmed, later Sherry changed it. But does it mean based on this one can imply that Kohji wasn't killed by APTX as the list can be altered?
No, but it opens certains possibilities regarding people, even 3rd parties manipulating the list to save someone like Kuroda, Mary or Papa Akai. It's hard to save Kohji anymore unless the dead body that the public found was not Kohji...
That's my point dude, too many of the people around here tend to discard something as basic as this to make their speculation sound more possible.
dccd wrote:
We have enough proof to determine, that Kohji left a dying message. The cut out "U" shape confirms this. That type of glass shard can't be generated by falling and breaking.
If Haneda was able to write a dying message it means he wanted to convey something which he didn't want the killer to witness.(Else a writing by his blood would have been enough.)
So this proves he was going to leave the name of the killer; BO is pretty much observant about anything which resembles the dying message or is somehow related to Kohji case. This means BO thinks that the dying message has some merit to trace out Haneda's killer.
Haneda Kohji case is Rum's headache and Rum screwed it up, so the issue points directly to Rum.
So it's a logical decution that Rum is the target of the dying message.
Now Rum is just a code-name, it means virtually nothing, so the dying message is something more direct(Rum's social name).
So it's confirmed, Haneda knew Rum's social/real name, that's what is the dying message. Now the debate can be what is Rum's real name? What is the true meaning of the dying message? Is there something more to it? We're not in 2015-16 anymore, the plot is clearing up with every passing case, if this debate was happening back in 2016 I would have understood, but it makes no sense now.
Last edited by Zerozaki4869 on May 29th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NinaSakura

Post by NinaSakura »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
NinaSakura wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:

He is an old man

Still, how would Kohji know that the person who is attacking him has code-name Rum? Here Kohji needs to have two pieces of information,
a) Agasa is Rum.
b) Rum is the one attacking him.
Is there any reason to believe that Amanda knew about Agasa's secret identity?
The question further arises, why Amanda would divulge this much information to Kohji?
There is another question that you need to answer why Kohji would think that the Rum part of the message would help Police get close on Agasa? Agasa is enough to implicate him(Agasa).
Haibara mentioned to Conan that Run knew her and if Rum saw her, she would have been killed. Why Agasa is keeping her alive?

Don't rely on exceptions to cover for your theory, then it's nothing more than a fan-fiction.

Wow..u really need to cool off.... none of us here have enough proof for anything at this stage of the arc and that's exactly why ppl are discussing all sorts of possibilities here... it's not a deduction show ya know...
I was just a bit excited and found it strange how Agasa could fit in...I was not even making a serious speculation...just exploring a possibility...
Moreover if u want me to give u a really serious one then how about this which cud answer some of ur questions there...
What if I told u there's a chance " U MASCARA" never pointed towards Rum or Asaca to begin with...??
The letters can be nearly perfectly put together to give "CARASUMA" or rather "KARASUMA"...
He was a minor character in the series...u can go look him up...it may have been Karasuma himself or his descendants...
Now to leave his dying message it wud have sufficed for Kohji to have just known his name and nothing about the existence of Rum...
See...? There's a lot of possibilities and it wudnt hurt to think up and exhaust each path...
I apologise in advance if this post was in any way offensive to you...
I just wanted to show u...my hypothesis may have been wrong....but my approach is not...
NinaSakura

Post by NinaSakura »

dccd wrote:Dude, seriously stop this.
There is no proof by now that Kohji knew who Rum was nor that he intentionally wrote a dying message pointing on him.
As long as this isn´t confirmed you just cant deny other theories by asking this questions.

I know there are some more competitive people here, but it kinda destroys the atmosphere when someone immediatly "attacks" one other.
I did the same and I realized lately how inappropriate this was.
Some people should do the same.
Arigato... ;D
Thank you for standing up for me... :D