Conan & Kindaichi DS Game Discussion (Use Spoiler Boxes)

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Conan & Kindaichi DS Game Discussion (Use Spoiler Boxes)

Post by Jd- »

This topic is for discussion of the Conan & Kindaichi game that is now available in English for the first time.

Because the game is very long and will take most players a considerable amount of time to complete, we ask that spoiler tags be used when discussing specific story points. If in doubt, use a spoiler tag. Feel free to post observations and impressions as you play, but obviously we ask you be mindful of those who are also playing and prospective players when posting any content outside of spoiler boxes.

As an example, a post discussing specific story material may appear akin to:
Spoiler: Chapter 3
I can't believe that ***** was able to kill ***** in the ballroom with a lead pipe.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Re: Conan & Kindaichi DS Game Discussion (Use Spoiler Boxes)

Post by Jd- »

This topic is now open for discussion as you play the game. Enjoy, everyone!
shinichi'sapprentice
I NEED SLLEP

shinichi'sapprentice plays Conan & Kindaichi DCTP Translated DS Game :D

Post by shinichi'sapprentice »

threeeeee thingsssssss

1. simply amazing

This game... This project, is so amazing... (Did I just do it again... :D ) NOTGAMESPOILERS:I don't have a DS/3DS. I should probably really get one already to fully enjoy the gameplay(which also applies to other games suggested to me). NOTGAMESPOILERSEITHER:It's my first time playing using an emulator, so obviously I have no idea what I was doing... I don't know anything about Kindaichi at all. Maybe I'll check it out later after I'm done. Anyway, this thing is really awesome, I'm running out of words to say. xD

2. super appreciated

I wasn't here or I don't know DCTP yet when this project was started but by the amount of time and hard work that I have read/heard have been spent on this splendid accomplishment, I believe the only way I can properly thank all the folks involved in this thing is to enjoy every bit of the game! Aaaaand I do! Current Detective Rank: A 8-) xD Seriously, thanks you all! I only checked out the DCTP site to say 'thanks' for the high quality translation and overall excellent subbing of my childhood anime (which I thought was already finished but apparently not) that I 'marathoned' in 2013. I was actually hesitant to make an account because I really just wanted to say 'hi, thanks, bye!'. However, after reading a few threads in the forums, I ended up registering anyway and just chose a username based on a corrected spelling of my very first email and an episode that was stuck in my head after the 'marathon' I did at the time. Man, I have been here for more than two years already... Why did I not discover this site more earlier... Glad I stayed around though... Discovered B'z, mafia, espionage, amazing people (Story Discussion Board, I swear I'll check you out some day! Hang in there! xD), and now this game! I think I just turned this into an introduction post... Anyway--! THANKS. YOU. ALL! Spread the hype!

2. spoilers abound
Spoiler: Chapter 1
Spoiler: spoiler tags, don't fail me!
Spoiler: sorry for making you read all the above
Spoiler: oh, you still curious about the spoilers?
Spoiler: ok, ok, am not fooling around...
Spoiler: ...just wanted to make sure you're not like me who despises spoilers and regret later for accidentally opening a spoiler tag when you shouldn't have
Spoiler: hmm... i guess this is enough?
Spoiler: PRESENTING--!
Spoiler: SPOILERS?!?
Spoiler: (please don't continue if you don't want spoilers!)
[spoiler=YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!]Nothing to spoil that much yet actually... xD Just finished Chapter 1. I thought I can finish the game in one sitting but I guess this really takes a lot of time to accomplish. I'm one who tries to read/watch EVERYTHING (dialogues, quests, missions, evidences(?), testimonies(?), cinematics/cutscenes, etc.) when I play something... Enjoying the story/characters while trying to achieve what needs to be done. Anyway--! Comments so far:

~Most of you have probably already seen the HYPE SHIRT... xD
~The skateboard game! I didn't reach the 'finish line' because as I said I've never used an emulator before so I was struggling with the controls. I thought it will make me repeat the stunt but it let me continue on and was able to talk with the dude in the yellow coat anyway. It was fun though and I'd love to play that part again! xD
~The mini soccer game! I think I've unlocked it after finishing Chapter 1. Again, struggling with the controls and was only able to kick the ball three times on my first try! xD Will try to play it more later!
~1<1<0... I figured out that it was 'Keiko' even before Conan explained it thanks to 1412=KID. (Yay, deduction skills. xD) I'm curious though, in the original Japanese version, was 1<1<0 also used? I'm assuming it was different as I have read somewhere sometime that stuffs have been changed(?) or sumthin'... I think...
~Story's good so far! Though still unclear why exactly that girl was killed... Chapter 2 seems to be focused on Kindaichi's side of things so let's see how he does things...
[/spoiler]
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:
Spoiler: Chapter 1
~1<1<0... I figured out that it was 'Keiko' even before Conan explained it thanks to 1412=KID. (Yay, deduction skills. xD) I'm curious though, in the original Japanese version, was 1<1<0 also used? I'm assuming it was different as I have read somewhere sometime that stuffs have been changed(?) or sumthin'... I think...
I figured someone would notice and ask about that early on. Not only that puzzle but most of them had to be adapted into more familiar English terms. I'm typing this on a phone so please forgive any strange formatting:
Spoiler: Contains Chapter 1 Puzzle Spoilers!
Almost all of the original game's puzzles require knowledge of Japanese, such as relying on Japanese social references and requiring you to write answers in Japanese. Of course we couldn't have that so we foremost replaced the Japanese writing system with an English one.

Specifically with regard to the writing puzzle in Chapter 1, we had a dilemma right at the onset. The original answer to the puzzle was "Keiko" in hiragana, which is represented by three characters: け い こ. Due to restrictions in the game's structure, we had to come up with an answer that could A) be written in English and B) would only be three letters long. The original puzzle was "1 + 11 =". The answer is a little complicated, because it wants you to read "1+" as the character "け" with "1" being the first vertical stroke and "+" being the cross. Likewise, "11" equates to "い" and "=" approximates to "こ". This puzzle works well in Japanese, but obviously wouldn't work for our purposes.

For our version, we came up with "1 < 1 < 0=" or "1< 1< 0 = K K O", which I think turned out to be a very interesting solution and even more mysterious and baffling at first glance. With this, we have an equation-as-words puzzle that, once Conan observes that letters are involved, isn't hard to figure out--especially if you use the hint function in the game--and is convenient as a dying message.

I won't go into detail here to spare any spoilers for future puzzles, but we had some interesting thinktank sessions figuring out how to adapt certain types of puzzles. The way we approached it was to take a given Japanese puzzle (the spirit and thought process that would be required to solve it) and create an English one that was a direct equivalent. I hope everyone will enjoy and find the puzzles to be a sufficient challenge as they are now suitable for an international/global audience.
I'll occasionally check back in to answer any such questions about these sorts of elements in the game. Enjoy, everyone!
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Spoiler:
Made it to the end of the first murder case (Conan) and the beginning of the second one (kindaichi)
However... it seems my computer does not like me playing 64 bit.
It has completely shut off from overheating twice XD
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

Not to brag, jimmy, but I've already made it past chapter 2. As for that case, I'll give one hint.
Spoiler:
During the night part, you will find a partially burnt paper with a set of 3-digit numbers. This is all you need to throw doubt on the seemingly strongest alibi.
Last edited by Max1996 on July 1st, 2015, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

I like making Kindaichi talk to everyone before doing anything, because he apparently has to be reminded about what he is doing every minute.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
shinichi'sapprentice
I NEED SLLEP

Post by shinichi'sapprentice »

yay for talking to everyone and investigating everything first before actually doing what's supposed to be done xD
Spoiler: Chapter 2
Spoiler: SPOILERS!!!
Spoiler: (again, don't continue if you don't want spoilers!)
Spoiler: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Spoiler: (contains game answers and SPOILERS)
~DID.ANYBODY.ELSE.SEE.HIM?!?!?!?!?! ;D (DON'T SPOIL IT. JUST REPLY WITH A SIMPLE YES OR NO :D )
~The key puzzle. Before I went and continued reading the dialogues on that scene, I tried solving the puzzle/code posted on the wall first. My initial answer was 90. Then when Kindaichi started explaining that it was related to a clock, for some reason I changed my answer to 45. But after being annoyed of not being able to write '5' properly (it keeps reading my '5' as '9' or '6'... ...i can't write with my mouse apparently xD), I went back with my original answer and wrote '90'.
~Did anybody else get reminded of Oldbag when you met the lady at Kindaichi's island's inn? xD I wonder if she actually had some dialogues in the original Japanese version or was it the same as the translated one where her dialogue was really just "(Droning)(Droning)(Droning)"
~Speaking of Oldbag, in Chapter 1, there's this one dude in Conan's island's museum wearing this flower patterned shirt that was actually the first one who reminded me of Oldbag. There was this particular dialogue with that dude that I wanted to take a screenshot of but I accidentally clicked the mouse and missed it..... So, I'll get back to that after I finish the game. xD
~Kindaichi's library case was more interesting than Chapter 1's case so far... Again, the motive for the murder is unclear again... I still can't make sense of the main mystery plot either... Though, stuffs are sort of starting to have a connection.

I'm guessing we're back to the other island on the next chapter...

Detective Rank: S
...I think I missed one keyword again (Forgot to note that on Chapter 1)
...and no mini-games unlocked this time
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

A spoiler regarding Chapter 3:
Spoiler:
Real kids should not sneak off in the middle of the night. You never know whether or not you'd end up on a place similar yet different.
thewindwright

Post by thewindwright »

First of all, awesome, awesome work guys. I'm a longtime fan of both Conan & Kindaichi and this game might just make me explode from happiness.

Secondly...
Chapter 5
Spoiler:
Was that an Arrested Development reference slipped into the hotel scene? I laughed so hard.
Spoiler:
We just say "manager."
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Max1996 wrote:Not to brag, jimmy, but I've already made it past chapter 2.
I literally had to stop playing after my post above, as my computer kept crashing
I'm probably going to have to switch to a 32 bit version, which probably results in restarting
so I'll get back to playing some time in the next 24 hours, I'll be pretty busy tomorrow.

for the most part though, through out all of chapter 1 you are pretty much forced to talk
to every single character for as many times as you have clues/information
you can't leave until you ask literally every question.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Thriefty

Post by Thriefty »

Thank you for finally releasing this game. To tell the truth, this game (or the notice of the translation coming out about a year ago) was the reason I started playing with emulators. I downloaded it an hour after it came up and started playing it in all my free time.

I'm at Chapter 6 now.

My thoughts so far:
Spoiler:
1) The mysteries in the game are great! There's always enough clues to bring you to the culprit, and if you have troubles, you can always spend extra time investigating. If there's one thing I don't like, it's that some of the keywords are extremely similar (makes it confusing for some Q&A or some flowcharts).

2) I'm really confused about the 2 Twilight Islands. So many things hint at 25 years ago, but it's not what you usually see in a detective genre. I'm hoping that the ending will clear it up.

3) I have a hatred of bombs now. The vibration sensor mini-game - there was one of them that took me over an hour to complete. I'm playing the game on my phone - so my fat fingers aren't good at moving the chip without hitting the walls. It also took forever for me to understand why some tiles were blinking red.

And then there's the thing that you have to stop a moving bar within a box - the creator of the bomb is a real sadist. With the erratic movements, it's nearly impossible to get it in the first try(I take about 3-5 presses for one), forcing you to have a significant buffer of time before you attempt that part.

4) There are good riddles... but I'm apparently horrible at solving them. I'm stuck at the clock in Chapter 6 and I might be brute forcing the answer out if I can't figure out the riddle.
To: shinichi'sapprentice - I saw him :D. Also, for the writing of numbers, if you want the DS to register a 5 properly, write it in 2 strokes. The DS apparently counts the number of strokes used when you write upon it. This goes for both letters and numbers.
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

Thriefty wrote:I'm at Chapter 6 now.
What!? Whoa you're fast :O
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
MrDetective
Irregular Scans staff

Post by MrDetective »

I...I'm going mad...

(Chapter 1 spoiler):
Spoiler:
It's taking me forrever to try and write a "K", it always mistakes it for a Z, now I'm stuck"
EDIT: okay, now it's been an hour I've been trying the same thing
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

MrDetective wrote:I...I'm going mad...

(Chapter 1 spoiler):
Spoiler:
It's taking me forrever to try and write a "K", it always mistakes it for a Z, now I'm stuck"
EDIT: okay, now it's been an hour I've been trying the same thing
Spoiler:
Try writing it differently? How have you been writing it?
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no