Mafia! Mafia! Mafia! Character Role Discussions

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Re: Mafia! Mafia! Mafia! Character Role Discussions

Post by pofa »

OK, the last thing (I think the last thing) I wanted to talk about is Travel, because honestly, it is an absolute pain in the butt to GM because of all the fiddly little stipulations about whether you can be poisoned on arrival phase, what can be done to you during leaving phase, etc. I would dearly like to simplify it. My idea is to do that by making it a one-phase ability (instead of all the leaving/returning business) and limiting players to a fixed number of uses per game.

Travel
Night/Day action
The player has 2 phases, to be used at any point in the game they wish, that they may travel. In order to travel, the player must send the travel request to the GM the phase they want to be gone (so if you wanted to be gone N2, you'd send in your travel request N2). The player will receive 1 new Travel voucher on D4, and again on D8 should the game last that long.

While you're out of the country, you can't use your actions and actions can't be used on you. I'm wavering on it being discombob'able (A player who sends in travel on N2 and is discombob'd, can't travel) and frightenable (a player frightened N2 will have a travel action fail D2). I kinda think it...probably should be able to be stopped? But I'm open to discussion.

I also personally think arrest (though not pinch/HS/detain) and maybe even APTX should still work; I think it would be better if it was a get-out-of-kill/get-out-of-lynch rather than blanket immunity, especially since it's such a strong proving tool. But if we end up having it be discombob/frightenable, I wouldn't be so reluctant to let APTX fail, so, again, open to discussion.

The roles that would have it are Makoto (if we keep him), Hakuba, and (my idea) Sherry, since she's spent time abroad. I had thought about Haibara having it too, but 2-3 possible roles with this is probably enough :P

Full disclosure: This is to make GMing easier on me, because I always, always, always mess up travel and I hate dealing with it; I like the idea of a hinder-like ability and I think it'd be a cool thing for Sherry to have, but the hassle outweighs the benefit to me right now. So even if it's not exactly like I stated above, I'll be happy if it's simpler at all.
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
PT
Community Mad Scientist
to cammel's bav we go!

Post by PT »

We already talked about this a bit, so you know where I stand on it mostly, but for everyone else, here's my opinion:

- Arrest: successful
- APTX: successful
- All other actions (including Disc/Frighten/Pinch/Detain/HS): not successful.

For Frighten, specifically, since it affects a phase AFTER being used, the Frightener would be notified that their action was successful, but the Travel would not fail and the Traveler would not know they were frightened.
pofa wrote: I have never done a single thing wrong in mafia, never one lie or act of violence
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Fujiwara »

PhoenixTears wrote: Amuro, Professional Sandwich Maker

Wait, that's not right.
What? Noooooooooooooo. </3
My sandwiches! Give them back! D:
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

If we want to cut some double roles out but also still have them occurring in the game we could try it like that:
GM says which of the double roles are in that round and which aren't.

So if the Double roles would be:
Chiba/Takagi
Yuusaku/Okiya
Shiratory/Megure

The GM states that Megure Yuusaku and Takagi are possible roles for that round to be in. And that Chiba, Okiya and Shiratori aren't in the role roster.
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
Raiden
There is a world of imagination
Deep in the corners of your mind
Where reality is an intruder
And myth and legend thrive

Post by Raiden »

Fujiwara wrote:
PhoenixTears wrote: Amuro, Professional Sandwich Maker

Wait, that's not right.
What? Noooooooooooooo. </3
My sandwiches! Give them back! D:
*Gives Fuji her (stolen) sandwich (maker) back* ^_^
Spoiler:
Was originally going to come with a suggestion, but forgot what my idea was about. Might edit post later if it reappears... :x

In the meanwhile--*gives sandwiches to all* \o/
“Tea is the magic key to the vault where my brain is kept.” ― Frances Hardinge
“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you.”
― William Ewart Gladstone

Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Fujiwara »

Raiden wrote: *Gives Fuji her (stolen) sandwich (maker) back* ^_^
Spoiler:
\o/ *immediately sends Amuro to the kitchen to make more sandwiches*
Thanks, Raiden! <3
KangarooGirl
Community Older Sister
Huggles are the best <3

Post by KangarooGirl »

I'm definitely up for making Travel more simple. Pretty much have been in the same boat as pofa for a while. I'm in full agreement with PT as to how we should handle the other actions around it. But personally wondering if there should be a one phase delay so essentially becomes a two-phase deal. Like if Hakuba uses it on Night 2, he can still be killed before Travel activates but he wouldn't be able to be lynched D2?

@Kleene: I think if we were going to do that we'd might as well remove them permanently =\ But if more people prefer I can keep ALL the roles in the main rules and GMs remove them as they wish.
Parkur wrote:Hopelessidiot, Mafia Therapist
Night action: Council
Day Action: PGT
Interrogation: Young
Items: Forged Therapist Degree, Picture of Lucy from Charlie Brown, Picture of Yurikochan
Observe: Hopeless *shakes head*
[17:56:37] * xpon is a honest liar
Add my FC: 3454-1638-0292
Yurikochan
Conia's Wife
Secretly in love with N...

Post by Yurikochan »

I would prefer to keep the main roles in the thread, I know I and another certain GM will probably use them all, unless we get like under 20 players. :x
Mafia: The only place where you can find Gin and Akai married together with 8 kids all disguised as Akai. Or something epic like that.
Conia wrote: Why am I thinking a ferret is an experiment from PT to mix the charm of dogs with the evilness of cats? :V

Image Kay and her friends...
KangarooGirl
Community Older Sister
Huggles are the best <3

Post by KangarooGirl »

Okay I've done the changes for combo actions and THINK it's done everywhere but if someone spots something I missed please let me know!

Also added the stealable items list in Quick Reference so it's a bit easier to find for people who get stolen from and want to know how much risk there is for being APTXed/caught :P

Changed Kobayashi to Heal for now. She is a bit easier to aptx than Araide so even without sleeping pill it should be okay. VoR is a one-off use anyway

I'll probably add Sleeping Pill and Toichi next. Travel seems to still be up for discussion
Parkur wrote:Hopelessidiot, Mafia Therapist
Night action: Council
Day Action: PGT
Interrogation: Young
Items: Forged Therapist Degree, Picture of Lucy from Charlie Brown, Picture of Yurikochan
Observe: Hopeless *shakes head*
[17:56:37] * xpon is a honest liar
Add my FC: 3454-1638-0292
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Post by pofa »

@Travel: Yeah I talked about the possibility of handing in a travel request a phase before travel actually happens, and I guess that could be OK? I just honestly wanted it as simple as possible. If we did the notice thing (Hand in request D1 to travel N2), it could be frightened if the BO frightened the person N1, whereas with the "one phase" plan, the consensus seems to be that it can't be frightened or discombob'd. Whatever, honestly; either way--as long as there's no ambiguity whatsoever that the phase in which they hand in the notice they can be lynched/killed/acted on exactly as normal; they're not immune to anything until they're out of the country.

@Kleene/Yuriko: Leaving all the roles in the main post and having the GMs notify players if they take any out sounds good to me, since that would let GMs customize based on game size.

@Sleeping pill: Also sounds good; if Sherry had Research, Sleeping pill, and the new Travel, would that be too much? Should it be Sleeping Pill OR Research (only one action per 2 phases)? Similarly Araide, Sleeping Pill OR Heal? I think Arrest should still be useable if you're "asleep," since discombob doesn't stop that either. Whatever can be discombob'd, can be nixed with Sleeping Pill imo, and I think it should be a crime; you ought to be able to arrest someone for it with the same keyword as APTX.

Any town roles want Research? I almost wanna let Agasa have it *shifty*
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
PT
Community Mad Scientist
to cammel's bav we go!

Post by PT »

If we give Research to any townies, we'll need to change it slightly, I think? Since right now, it's only good for locating townies (BO actions, blamed actions, fake actions do not show up). Unless we want it so Agasa can only search for town actions. XD Which might be an interesting dynamic and I would totally be up for trying that.

As for Sherry with all three actions, I think we should test it out and then go from there? Because as it is, I'm not sure how much use the actions will be together?
pofa wrote: I have never done a single thing wrong in mafia, never one lie or act of violence
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Post by pofa »

Yeah that's true; I guess we'd have to decide whether Agasa not being able to detect BS actions, BO actions, or Blamed actions would give Agasa too much power, since it would be an actual Black Suitcase/Blame detector :x If the BO is trying to claim and fake something like CE, Agasa would know it didn't really happen.

Maybe force him to decide between giving out his items or using research? XD I just thought of agasa and was like "Hey maybe being Agasa would be more fun with this"
ImageImageImage

Yurikochan
Conia's Wife
Secretly in love with N...

Post by Yurikochan »

Maybe he can give one item out and use research. :P
Mafia: The only place where you can find Gin and Akai married together with 8 kids all disguised as Akai. Or something epic like that.
Conia wrote: Why am I thinking a ferret is an experiment from PT to mix the charm of dogs with the evilness of cats? :V

Image Kay and her friends...
aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

Yurikochan wrote:Maybe he can give one item out and use research. :P
So basically Watch and either Bowtie or Research? :P
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
Raiden
There is a world of imagination
Deep in the corners of your mind
Where reality is an intruder
And myth and legend thrive

Post by Raiden »

PhoenixTears wrote:If we give Research to any townies, we'll need to change it slightly, I think? Since right now, it's only good for locating townies (BO actions, blamed actions, fake actions do not show up). Unless we want it so Agasa can only search for town actions. XD Which might be an interesting dynamic and I would totally be up for trying that.
Well, it is in Agasa's best interest to locate townies to avoid giving out his stuff to BO.

Research, in it's current version, is a lesser version of Detect for town abilities. Would he be able to locate town abilities with crimes? It would be an instant way of proving a town disguiser/trickster/thief since, in the ability's current version, he will not be able to research Vermouth/Irish/Anokata's actions.

I think I'll be over here in the corner supporting the limitation of 1 gadget giveaway if he uses Research the night before.
“Tea is the magic key to the vault where my brain is kept.” ― Frances Hardinge
“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you.”
― William Ewart Gladstone