Let's get programmy!

If you have some randomness to share that you can't post elsewhere, this is the place to do it.

Is Assembly the best programming language?

Yes
9%
Oh God my eyes
9%
Oh God my brain
38%
I perform unholy incantations to keep Assembly at bay
13%
Real men write binaries by hand
31%

Total votes: 32
ranger
Community Villain

Re: Let's get programmy!

Postby ranger » September 18th, 2012, 2:34 am

what assembly language
Kirbypepe

Wonder what I'll turn into =D

Postby Kirbypepe » September 18th, 2012, 10:34 am

Haha welcome to the thread Monsi XD
Howdy Everyone=]

Things are fantastic. How about for you?

Thats cool.

Wait I just realized, who am I talking to????
Akonyl
Community Hero

Postby Akonyl » September 18th, 2012, 10:52 am

monsi wrote:The languages I know are assembly (Yes, I'm serious. :V), C++ and C#. :P

most people learn assembly in college, the "you can't be serious" response would be from if you said you liked it :P

C++ used to be my bro language, but I've left C++ for C# in my spare time

still do stuff at work in C++ though :V
monsi

I love sarcasm

Postby monsi » September 19th, 2012, 1:37 am

ranger wrote:what assembly language

8086. We compile and run it using Turbo Assembler.

Kirbypepe wrote:Haha welcome to the thread Monsi XD

Thanks. :D

Akonyl wrote:most people learn assembly in college, the "you can't be serious" response would be from if you said you liked it :P

I actually prefer C# now than C++ probably because we were only taught to make console programs in C++.
Akonyl
Community Hero

Postby Akonyl » September 19th, 2012, 1:50 am

well, c++ can do video output pretty easily too, you just gotta get the right libraries. I will admit though that the main reason I'm usin C# is because of XNA, which I learned to use when I was taking an extra class that was basically "make a game and learn how to tolerate coding with other people". Well, that and the fact that it's easier to debug than C++ :V
monsi

I love sarcasm

Postby monsi » September 19th, 2012, 2:15 am

Akonyl wrote:well, c++ can do video output pretty easily too,

I don't know how to do this. :|
ranger
Community Villain

Postby ranger » September 19th, 2012, 2:44 am

why are you still using 8086? Since like the late 2000s everyones moved over to IA-32 or x86-64.  Working with 16 bits kinda sucks doesnt it
monsi

I love sarcasm

Postby monsi » September 19th, 2012, 9:37 am

ranger wrote:why are you still using 8086? Since like the late 2000s everyones moved over to IA-32 or x86-64.  Working with 16 bits kinda sucks doesnt it

Hmmm...don't really know why. I never bothered to ask my professor about it and I didn't know about IA-32 assembly and/or x86-64 assembly until you mentioned it. :V And yes, it f_ _ _ing sucks. :V
Last edited by monsi on September 19th, 2012, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirbypepe

Postby Kirbypepe » September 19th, 2012, 10:48 am

Akonyl wrote:
monsi wrote:The languages I know are assembly (Yes, I'm serious. :V), C++ and C#. :P

most people learn assembly in college, the "you can't be serious" response would be from if you said you liked it :P

Haha That's about the same for me. I learned C++ because at school I had to and it was easier to make games with it when integrating it with DirectX. Most of my time in school was C++. Didn't really touch C# much during. But now at work I do nothing but C# and SQL XD. Although we are thinking maybe to make a Java native app for android XD
Howdy Everyone=]

Thats cool.

monsi

I love sarcasm

Postby monsi » September 19th, 2012, 10:57 am

Kirbypepe wrote:Haha That's about the same for me. I learned C++ because at school I had to and it was easier to make games with it when integrating it with DirectX.

Games? Like the ones with graphics?  :|
Akonyl
Community Hero

Postby Akonyl » September 19th, 2012, 11:34 am

monsi wrote:
Kirbypepe wrote:Haha That's about the same for me. I learned C++ because at school I had to and it was easier to make games with it when integrating it with DirectX.

right, you can find some libraries for it if you look around on the internet:

http://www.libsdl.org/ - SDL, which is a relatively low-level library, what I used first, but didn't like it much. Can also use this with openGL to make 3D stuff ( tutorials here: http://www.sdltutorials.com/sdl-opengl-tutorial-basics )
http://www.allegro.cc/ - Allegro, a library which to me was a little more high-level and friendlier than SDL, but I seem to recall it not being the absolute best at efficiency so it's better for simpler things. Also helps out a bit with input/sound.

for directX, which Kirby's talking about, I've hardly ever used it so I won't try to link to good resources for it, but it's pretty much the most powerful of the graphics libraries, considering it's what most high-budget games use. But from what little I remember of using it, that also results in it being a bit hard to pick up for a beginner.  :-X
Kirbypepe

Postby Kirbypepe » September 20th, 2012, 10:52 am

Akonyl wrote:
monsi wrote:

right, you can find some libraries for it if you look around on the internet:

http://www.libsdl.org/ - SDL, which is a relatively low-level library, what I used first, but didn't like it much. Can also use this with openGL to make 3D stuff ( tutorials here: http://www.sdltutorials.com/sdl-opengl-tutorial-basics )
http://www.allegro.cc/ - Allegro, a library which to me was a little more high-level and friendlier than SDL, but I seem to recall it not being the absolute best at efficiency so it's better for simpler things. Also helps out a bit with input/sound.

for directX, which Kirby's talking about, I've hardly ever used it so I won't try to link to good resources for it, but it's pretty much the most powerful of the graphics libraries, considering it's what most high-budget games use. But from what little I remember of using it, that also results in it being a bit hard to pick up for a beginner.  :-X

Right, it is somewhat difficult to get in starting off, but once you have a decent framework up and running then it starts opening up new doors for everyone. Until you start programming shaders to use with it...... =X As for resources, I don't know any good links however there are a few books that help get you started with it. Like Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c Shader Approach. That was basically the book I used to start off. I have both the hard copy as well as an electronic copy. Other than that http://www.gamedev.net helped with questions about a lot of things XD
Howdy Everyone=]

Thats cool.

ranger
Community Villain

Postby ranger » September 23rd, 2012, 3:37 am

just started learning some opengl, it's pretty neat.  a lot of godamn libraries though.  Trying to do a simple transformation of a mesh, so every key stroke makes it 'dance'.
ranger
Community Villain

Postby ranger » September 25th, 2012, 3:54 am

Dining philosophers problem is a really cool problem, locks and semaphores n shiznit
Akonyl
Community Hero

Postby Akonyl » September 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm

all dining philosophers taught me is that philosophers are really bad at resolving disputes like normal people.