My laptop is kinda stupid and so am I (help plz?)

If you have some randomness to share that you can't post elsewhere, this is the place to do it.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

My laptop is kinda stupid and so am I (help plz?)

Postby kkslider5552000 » August 22nd, 2014, 5:59 pm

So for the past few weeks, I've been having an issue where sometimes my laptop refuses to connect with the Wifi router for a couple hours or so. I have no idea why and quite frankly, I can't be bothered to check every possibility Windows troubleshooting can think of.

So basically, every time it starts working again for no apparent reason. There's nothing I did different that causes this, it just works again after a while. And because it's clearly showing everything involving the Linksys and internet is fine, I have to assume the issue is the laptop itself (despite that, I always reset the router and/or unplug everything for a bit just to be safe but it never fixes it). Though I think Windows almost refuses to believe that and entirely blames the wifi, which is...odd...

...I find it kinda amusing that I use computers so much and took several programming classes and yet I always feel clueless about issues like this :p
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: viewtopic.php?f=10&p=879594#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Re: My laptop is kinda stupid and so am I (help plz?)

Postby kkslider5552000 » August 22nd, 2014, 6:31 pm

Aquahorse wrote:Maybe to take laptop to service?)

Maybe, but I'd prefer not to if I can. And I won't be able to until next week even if I wanted to.

Iwamoto Yuri

SPARKLES

Postby Iwamoto Yuri » August 22nd, 2014, 7:50 pm

is there a chance you maybe accidentally put off the wifi reception on your laptop? I don't know how yours works but I know I can switch off wifi reception.
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor wrote:Remember: Hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.
Ekoyuhale

*whispers* hail skhinkbbi

Postby Ekoyuhale » August 22nd, 2014, 8:11 pm

my lesser laptop I use in school has a similar issue, generally letting windows run its troubleshooting solves the problem (It generally resets the wi-fi adapter). That fails, a restart usually clears it up. That's just general though =V I'd need more to figure it out exactly

I can do the hardware stuff, but I'm useless at programming >_>;
3DS FC: 4124-5076-4987

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth... unless you royally screwed up.

Spoiler: SS 2014 from PT <3

Ekoyuhale

Postby Ekoyuhale » August 22nd, 2014, 8:51 pm

ah yep, that's the same thing mine does sometimes. Is it windows 8?

Yeah restarting should clear it up. If there's a network switch you might try switching that off then on to force a reboot of the wi-fi adapter if troubleshooting won't do it

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth... unless you royally screwed up.

cinnamoroll

Making the world a sweeter place :)

Postby cinnamoroll » August 22nd, 2014, 10:35 pm

This happened to me when I first got my laptop. It lasted a while. I thought of sending it back, since it was almost new. Then, suddenly, the problem went away by itself, and hasn't come back.

I know this doesn't help at all, but :V
Spoiler: Awesome Christmas present from Kain <3

Spoiler: KL's cute Christmas present ^^

Spoiler: Cute Christmas present by Stoppy ^^

Spoiler: PT <3

Spoiler: Jeck's Frosty :3
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Postby kkslider5552000 » August 22nd, 2014, 10:40 pm

Yuri Iwamoto wrote:is there a chance you maybe accidentally put off the wifi reception on your laptop?

Unless I accidentally keep putting it off and on...no

This latest time, it did work when I reset the router, but that didn't work literally an hour prior. And it briefly had the same problem again for a minute until I intentionally disconnected and reconnected to it.

Ekoyuhale

Postby Ekoyuhale » August 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

disconnecting and reconnecting to the network is a good thing too (especially when it's showing up 'limited.' Wasn't sure if this was what was going on or not though =x)

brycec

Postby brycec » August 23rd, 2014, 9:50 am

Problem may have been fixed, but I think you have have provided more details in the initial post, seeing as you do have experience with computers. After all, nothing really bugs me as much as hearing the same answer that everyone else says when you help them.

Anyway, have you tried hooking the laptop up directly to the router? That might tell you if the problem is with the computer or not.

I would also take the chance to download a Live Linux disc image, such as Debian or one of its derivates (e.g. Ubuntu, Mint, etc). If Wifi works fine on a live image, then the problem may reside in Windows itself, whether it is a driver issue or whatnot.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Postby kkslider5552000 » August 23rd, 2014, 5:12 pm

Well I unplugged the main thing powering everything wifi and my old computer for the night, and things have been working fine. Keeping that plugged in for 24/7 might not be ideal?

I believe I would need an ethernet cable to hook it up to the router? Or am I thinking of something else entirely...

brycec

Postby brycec » August 23rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

kkslider5552000 wrote:Well I unplugged the main thing powering everything wifi and my old computer for the night, and things have been working fine. Keeping that plugged in for 24/7 might not be ideal?

I believe I would need an ethernet cable to hook it up to the router? Or am I thinking of something else entirely...

Yes, you would need an ethernet (CAT5 or cable with RJ-45 connector) cable. As for keeping things plugged in and on 24/7/365, it is not necessary, unless you run some kind of server, like a Plex server, web server, etc.

Linux can help in this too, which I why I suggested in my last post (live images do not need to be installed on a hard drive to run). After all, I have encountered a situations that cannot be solved through Windows (e.g. reformatting a hard drive that was formatted with HFS+).

The key to solve anything is to isolate problems after all.
sstimson

Everyone a Critic

Postby sstimson » August 24th, 2014, 7:30 pm

A couple thoughts

1)check the IP address and make sure it is not in the 169.254.x.x sub
2)if you got one try seeing if a wireless USB might let you connect
3)if you know the subnet, try setting it manually
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT