The Anokata of Magic Kaitou's Organization

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
spn
You can never know.

The Anokata of Magic Kaitou's Organization

Post by spn »

Yeah, I think this subforum needs a thread with a discussion like this, too... I didn't found one, so I will try to start the topic, if it's okay. XD
Naturally there will be some spoilers ahead, so be warned.

So, what do you think - who is the boss of the organization from Magic Kaitou? Is it someone we know from the Manga and/or the Anime? Is it someone who was just mentioned or hinted at in one of the two mediums? Is it the same Anokata from Detective Conan (if you're a believer of the "Merging storylines"-theory)? Or will it be someone completely new and original?

Hints so far:
In the Manga, we only have the slightest hunch of anything... we know that there IS a boss and that he/she is searching for Pandora, the mystical gem that sheds a tear which will give immortality to the owner of the precious stone. Okay, cool.

In the Anime (which will or will not try to split into an original continuity, who knows) we get to see a lot more of the person who is also just called "Anokata" ("That person"). He/She is sitting in an office chair (which covers his/her appearence) in a room inside a supposedly tall building with huge windows, presenting view on a big city with a lot of skyscrapers. He/She just seems to contact his/her members by chat (I don't know if it's a real "video chat" because it's unclear if the video transmission is one-sided or not) and e-mail. There is evidence that this person could be an American or is at least situated in the United States - the city seen through the windows could well be one located in the USA, he/she writes his/her text messages in English and there are some magazines like "HIMES Magazine" (an allusion to TIME Magazine and The Times?) on his/her desk.

Well... I try to give my thoughts about this. If MK-Anokata should be someone we know, I would suspect our beloved Toichi Kuroba. Several things point to him, in my opinion.
  • Toichi was supposedly killed on stage by an explosion. Judging by this, there probably isn't much left of him, let alone an identifiable corpse. So, adding that he was one of the best illusionists, Toichi could very well be alive and if he is the boss depicted in the fifth Anime episode, it would explain why he's residing in the States, contacting his subordinates by text messages only. (Maybe it could be easier to hide his appearent death, especially because of the fame he had in Japan?) Oh and Toichi always told his young son to "never forget to show pokerface"... and what did Toichi do, moments before he died? Yeah. XD
  • The Kurobas probably have enough money that Toichi could have funded such an organization. They're living in a pretty big home (inlcuding secret rooms!) for three persons, especially in Tokyo, where the taxes are supposed to be high, he was an extremely professional (sometimes called "the world's best") magician, which surely earned him a lot of cash and he had his own assistant, Jii. He could have also stolen some things which he sold to third parties afterwards to gain more money for this project.
  • It would explain why his spouse and child were left unharmed by the organization, although they knew that he was the first Kaitou Kid (they killed him on-stage as Toichi Kuroba, so they must have known about his double-identity... so why not search after his family members, hold them hostage and blackmail him or something like this?). But if MK-Anokata is Toichi, the case is clear - he wants to keep his family out of his personal business.
  • Some people say that Toichi isn't evil enough to be such a person. But do we really know him? All we have seen so far are some rather short flashbacks, most of the time memories of Kaito or at least including them, so it's maybe whitewashed by his own emotions. As explained in the previous point, it's possible that he really loves his family and that his good demeanor was real, but that doesn't necessarily rule him out as the head of a criminal group.
  • The connection to "Spider" aka Gunar von Goldberg II - "the world's best illusionist" - would also be clear, I suppose.
  • Last but not least, there COULD be a hint in the 2004 movie "Arsène Lupin" - as we know, Kaitou Kid is based on this literary character - but take this with a pinch of salt. It's also a BIG spoiler for the film, so don't read if you want to watch it. XD ... In it, the father of Lupin is seemingly killed early in the story, during his childhood. Later on it's revealed that he indeed is still alive, now looking completely different because of several surgeries and working for the organization of the Countess of Cagliostro. Maybe it will kinda happen like this in MK, too? But, like I said, take it with a pinch of salt - the movie is probably too "new" for the story of Magic Kaitou and I don't know if the story of the original book about the Countess is similar.
And what do you personally think? ^^
I'm really interested in your theories.

P.S.: Maybe I'm just to dumb to notice, but is there a possibility to create a poll for this thread?
Last edited by spn on June 10th, 2012, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: The Anokata of Magic Kaitou's Organization

Post by kkslider5552000 »

It's the Black Organization's Anokata. Same person. Just confirm they're the same organization Gosho, Magic Kaitou isn't going to be popular enough to last for long post-Conan.

My other theory is...still same person. But, the organizations are still different and Anokata is so awesome he controls TWO criminal organizations.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
spn
You can never know.

Post by spn »

Although I still don't believe that the storylines will merge because of Aoyama's word, there are a lot of things that are good hints to such a development:
  • Like you've already said, it isn't sure if Magic Kaitou will be that big of a success after the end of Detective Conan... and there are a lot of fans out there, who WANT a common ending for both series.
  • Two of four prologues to Detective Conan I know are Magic Kaitou-related ("Black Star" and the arc with Toichi's riddle for Shinichi and Ran in primary school age).
  • Gosho once hinted that there was the idea of a Magic Kaitou crossover from the beginning, although it was originally just devised as a mere cameo.
  • Two dark organizations with the potentially same aim in the same town and connections to the USA with a leader just called "Anokata"? And Toichi was in contact with both of them (he trained Vermouth of the BO and was killed by the other...). What the hell? This could also lead to the idea that they are both the same group or at least two divisions under the same leader.
  • The so far last case with Kid in Detective Conan was a Tie-in to the most recent chapters of Magic Kaitou. And, what's more, it was the first appearance of Phantom Lady which probably is a pretty important plot point for MK... which debuted in DC. Oo So much for Gosho's "it would be too confusing", it seems like he already is assuming that the people read both of the stories concurrently.
  • Saguru Hakuba had a bigger role in Detective Conan in one arc, independent from Kaito.
  • It happened several times that stuff about Kid was connected with or was being mentioned in BO-related cases (the "Pandora's box" thing about the number of Anokata, which Kid repeated at the end, the recent presence of Kid-elements in the Bell Tree Express-case with the Black Organization, ...)
There is more stuff like that, like the fact that Gosho said in the interview at the end of Magic Kaitou volume 4 that he plays with the idea of giving Conan Edogawa cameos in MK. The thing is, if all of this would be true and the two Manga would merge, I wouldn't believe that Toichi Kuroba is the boss the MK-Org. anymore if she is the same group as the BO... granted, the time the BO exists and the stuff with "Vermouth is the favourite of the Boss" would fit, but something about that seems not right to me.
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Post by kentasaiba »

I say this time its Agasa  ::)
Or Ji-chan...
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Just a thought.  Boss of DC kidnaps scientist to research drugs, smuggles guns, assassinates politicians, has the newest technology, and names his agents after alcohol.  Boss of MK believes in a mythicsl magical stone that sheds immortality tears once every 1000 years or something.  I'm not saying that pandora can't be another of "his" investments, I'm just saying its a little out of the image I have for him lol. 
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

My not-based-in-canon-at-all pet theory to explain their similarities was that the MK Org is a group headed by a former sort-of-high-up-in-the-Black-Organization executive who knew a little of the BO's goal, but not the whole thing. The MK-anokata-to-be took his BO lackies and splintered off to pursue his own immortality theory (Pandora) after being intrigued by legends collected about it in the BO's archives of info. (If the BO deems it worthy to investigate mermaid isle legends, that shows the wide range of data they must collect.) The BO's anokata never bought into the Pandora legend, but thought that as long as the two groups weren't having a turf war (one steals and is interested in jewels and magic, the other assassinates and is interested in biochem and programming) or threatening each other for power it wasn't worth the resources, blood, and inevitable law enforcement attention lots of well dressed, heavily armed, dead bodies bring to take them down if they could avoid it. The BO's anokata thought that the MK Org might dig up something worthwhile if they let them play around a bit, but still has a contingency plan to destroy them down if they get too uppity. Meanwhile the MK boss, while not interested in cooperating with the BO because he doesn't plan on sharing Pandora, knows to leave the BO well enough alone and that they can avoid unwanted attention if they occupy a different criminal niche. The relationship between the two Orgs then is a careful neutral. The MK Org has kept a lot of the former organization's structural hierarchy and quirks (like calling the boss anokata and using codenames).

Evidence = nil, and I don't really like the idea of Pandora and DC overlapping
Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on June 12th, 2012, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
shubhoshinichi
[DCTP] - Community's Logical Wizard.

Post by shubhoshinichi »

@ Spn. . . I really don't think that both the culprits of two different series would turn out to be the same. There might be something like there is something very special we still haven't noticed. Cause its about Gosho.. And he amazes us every time. 
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

And Ofc. There is always only one truth!

At last.. Be yourself always, always put a smile, be happy .. cause we're not the one to decide when our smile vanishes. . . Forever..

***ThIs Is My WoRlD!!!
                                       GET HYPE!!!