Naturally there will be some spoilers ahead, so be warned.
So, what do you think - who is the boss of the organization from Magic Kaitou? Is it someone we know from the Manga and/or the Anime? Is it someone who was just mentioned or hinted at in one of the two mediums? Is it the same Anokata from Detective Conan (if you're a believer of the "Merging storylines"-theory)? Or will it be someone completely new and original?
Hints so far:
In the Manga, we only have the slightest hunch of anything... we know that there IS a boss and that he/she is searching for Pandora, the mystical gem that sheds a tear which will give immortality to the owner of the precious stone. Okay, cool.
In the Anime (which will or will not try to split into an original continuity, who knows) we get to see a lot more of the person who is also just called "Anokata" ("That person"). He/She is sitting in an office chair (which covers his/her appearence) in a room inside a supposedly tall building with huge windows, presenting view on a big city with a lot of skyscrapers. He/She just seems to contact his/her members by chat (I don't know if it's a real "video chat" because it's unclear if the video transmission is one-sided or not) and e-mail. There is evidence that this person could be an American or is at least situated in the United States - the city seen through the windows could well be one located in the USA, he/she writes his/her text messages in English and there are some magazines like "HIMES Magazine" (an allusion to TIME Magazine and The Times?) on his/her desk.
Well... I try to give my thoughts about this. If MK-Anokata should be someone we know, I would suspect our beloved Toichi Kuroba. Several things point to him, in my opinion.
- Toichi was supposedly killed on stage by an explosion. Judging by this, there probably isn't much left of him, let alone an identifiable corpse. So, adding that he was one of the best illusionists, Toichi could very well be alive and if he is the boss depicted in the fifth Anime episode, it would explain why he's residing in the States, contacting his subordinates by text messages only. (Maybe it could be easier to hide his appearent death, especially because of the fame he had in Japan?) Oh and Toichi always told his young son to "never forget to show pokerface"... and what did Toichi do, moments before he died? Yeah. XD
- The Kurobas probably have enough money that Toichi could have funded such an organization. They're living in a pretty big home (inlcuding secret rooms!) for three persons, especially in Tokyo, where the taxes are supposed to be high, he was an extremely professional (sometimes called "the world's best") magician, which surely earned him a lot of cash and he had his own assistant, Jii. He could have also stolen some things which he sold to third parties afterwards to gain more money for this project.
- It would explain why his spouse and child were left unharmed by the organization, although they knew that he was the first Kaitou Kid (they killed him on-stage as Toichi Kuroba, so they must have known about his double-identity... so why not search after his family members, hold them hostage and blackmail him or something like this?). But if MK-Anokata is Toichi, the case is clear - he wants to keep his family out of his personal business.
- Some people say that Toichi isn't evil enough to be such a person. But do we really know him? All we have seen so far are some rather short flashbacks, most of the time memories of Kaito or at least including them, so it's maybe whitewashed by his own emotions. As explained in the previous point, it's possible that he really loves his family and that his good demeanor was real, but that doesn't necessarily rule him out as the head of a criminal group.
- The connection to "Spider" aka Gunar von Goldberg II - "the world's best illusionist" - would also be clear, I suppose.
- Last but not least, there COULD be a hint in the 2004 movie "ArsÃ¨ne Lupin" - as we know, Kaitou Kid is based on this literary character - but take this with a pinch of salt. It's also a BIG spoiler for the film, so don't read if you want to watch it. XD ... In it, the father of Lupin is seemingly killed early in the story, during his childhood. Later on it's revealed that he indeed is still alive, now looking completely different because of several surgeries and working for the organization of the Countess of Cagliostro. Maybe it will kinda happen like this in MK, too? But, like I said, take it with a pinch of salt - the movie is probably too "new" for the story of Magic Kaitou and I don't know if the story of the original book about the Countess is similar.
I'm really interested in your theories.
P.S.: Maybe I'm just to dumb to notice, but is there a possibility to create a poll for this thread?