Kaito Kid Cosplay?

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
Nyhilatiant

Btown -- 100% of the time.

Kaito Kid Cosplay?

Postby Nyhilatiant » December 27th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Sooo with A-Kon 23 coming up in June, (i know I know its over 6months away) I was trying to think of something to go as for one of the day events, and then I thought, Kaito Kid!  I've never been, but last year CrunchyRoll had a live stream going and one thing I remember not seeing was a Kaito Kid.  So with this wonderful idea comes the big part of, whereabouts would I go to get a costume of this magnitude? I've searched google a bit so far, and some of the ones that popped up just seem like the top hat is to, blah.  and I'm a huge top hat fan, so that has to be one of the things it does right.  So, just throwing this out there, if anyone knows of a decent place, or has any ideas, comments, tips, suggestions, etc, throw it my way, would love to discuss / see stuff anyone has done in the past themselves! :D

One of the sites I found, but again, the Top Hat looks like crap. xD
http://www.acgcosplay.com/3267-meitante ... stume.html
Flippin the tables.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”
skyechan
Community Hero

"真実はいつも一つ!"

Re: Kaito Kid Cosplay?

Postby skyechan » December 27th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Got mine via CosplayHolic.com (from one of their eBay accounts), and the wig from Fantasy Sheep (again, eBay account). (Sorry, not sharing pics of me in said costume. If you see me in real life, fantastic, but since I feel like a dork in photos I prefer to just be recognized in person rather than on the net.  ::) ) CosplayHolic did an excellent job on stitching and the outfit arrived unharmed through the mail. Fit great. Just make sure you know exactly what measurements you are before purchasing costumes online. The more info you can provide, the better. Fantasy Sheep's Kaito wig looks fantastic (although details of course are usually covered up by the top hat. :) )

http://www.cosplayholic.com/detail.asp? ... chPageNo=1 <---CosplayHolic official site
http://cgi.ebay.com/Detective-Conan-Kai ... 0635066629 <---Fantasy Sheep listing for Kaito wig

Top hat provided with CosplayHolic's outfit is decent enough. I seem to recall a fellow Kid cosplayer mentioning using a tutorial on deviantart to make their own though that's much sturdier.

http://chioky.deviantart.com/art/The-Ti ... -103451650

Monocle I created using a magnifier loupe (see example picture below) I found in a local craft store. I simply popped the lens out and painted it white before attaching white Sculpey for extra pieces to it. Then I used a bit of the cord from the loupe to make the dangling piece and then attached a green Sculpey charm I created with the white clover painted on it. As for how to wear the darn thing, I wish you luck as I have not yet successfully figured it out. If you haven't noticed, Kid's monocle defies logic. A traditional monocle is held up using the brow bone and cheek, but Kid's is too big and is well....held up by magic? EDIT: Managed to come up with a solution you can read in this post I've linked to.

Spoiler: Example of loupe to look for

If you really wanna go all out, I found a great big gem prop from a UK prop seller.

Spoiler: Image of said prop in my hand

http://www.props4shows.co.uk/fake_gem_s ... 770_p.html

For shoes I personally did not get the right kind, but you're looking for white Oxfords, preferably with white soles. (Unless you're going for old school Kid, in which case you want white loafers, again with white soles.)

Spoiler: Shoe example

Gloves you're looking for wrist length white gloves. Try checking out the costume section of your local party shop. (I got mine around Halloween preparation time, so maybe I had better luck.)

Socks you're kind of on your own. You're looking for a shade of blue that matches whatever shade of blue the shirt that goes with your outfit is. I lucked out and borrowed the proper pair from a family member.
Last edited by skyechan on January 30th, 2013, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
MadelineLime

Postby MadelineLime » January 2nd, 2012, 8:47 pm

I'm actually planning on doing a very well done crossplay, and I was going to make a tutorial on making a tophat from a crappy tophat base. I actually already have a white one I "made" for Zatanna, but it's too short for Kaitou so I might just remake another one (lol because who doesn't need two white tophats?)

This is a really, really bad photo of me, but it's great of the hat.

Spoiler:

It's actually one of those stupid ones I got from Party City that is covered in velour, "skinned", and then recovered with super soft bleached muslin via Tacky Glue. Then the edging is hand sewed uh... I forget what that stuff is off the top of my head, but you can use it to handmake pipping. That hat isn't something you would sell for hundreds of dollars as it's not felted, but it's perfect for cosplay photos. I wore it on New Years Eve, and I would take photos but some stuff got on it from being in my car, so it's not pristine any longer. XD

I can either show you the tutorial when I make it in the next few months, or even commission me! We can do it through Etsy, too, if that's something you're interested in. I do resin making stuff, and plan on making a Pandora, if you want one of those. :3 I made over 70 Soul Gems last year http://kartos.deviantart.com/art/Glowing-Soul-Gems-256289467, so it'll be a cake walk. I'll also probably make it so it sits in a small stand to glow. :3

I also have these cheap white pennyloafers for my Mia Fey costume, and her's are white too, so someday I'm going to paint/cover them white. They're just easier and cheaper to get, so I'm going that route as opposed to the newer version of him with actual dress shoes.

Have you thought about props and whatnot? I used to be a magicians assistant, so I've been talking to one of my friends that was their organizer about how to make a functioning card gun. The only way we can think to make it work is by having it load one card at a time. :\ Otherwise I'm going to bother people to pick a card. :3

I also am planning on figuring out the best flash powder or paper to use at a con that isn't going to piss of security, so I can let you know about what I figure out, if you want. :3
Nyhilatiant

Postby Nyhilatiant » January 3rd, 2012, 1:10 am

skyechan wrote:In Reply to Skyechan

Woah!!  Thanks so much for all the info!  I got the post the day you did it, but I was on my phone and didn't have time to reply and say thank you, so sorry for the delay!  =]  I like the big fancy jewel prop, I'd definitely have to get something like that to pull it off completely, haha.  :D

I searched threw CosplayHolic and found a ton of stuff that I want to get already, thanks for the lead to that site! =] 

The Wig looks really cool, but I'm not to sure, do guys use wigs for Cosplay?  :S  This would be my first year doing this, so any tips/info on it would be appreciated! xD 

The Monocle will be the hard part for me, mainly because I wear glasses 24/7, who knows though, maybe I can get contact lenses for the occasion, just so I can . xD

Again though, thank you for your time and the work you put into your reply, its been more than just a great help, I've already started planning multipul costumes now since some of the sights you've shown me! xD

MadelineLime wrote:In Reply To MadelineLime

Okay, starting out, I have a slight obsession with TopHats, I love them, they're so cool. haha.  So basically, I don't think you can ever have enough! :D

Also, i disagree, It is not a really really bad photo of you,and I must agree, it's definitely a great one of the hat! =] 

I'll have to see how far I want to take this, but either way, a guide or commission would work.  It's very late where I am currently, and I have to be awake for work in 4hours, so I'm trying to rush out this reply! xD  I'm thinking that having you do one would work better since I don't have a lot of experience, or at all, in making one, so the safer bet would be that route. 

Now I'm not entirely sure what a Pandora is, I tried to google search it really fast, and I'm not sure, is that just like a miniature top hat?  xD 

Haha, a card shooting gun would be pretty fancy, if you could just pre load it with two stacks of cards, buy some cheap ones that you wouldn't care about losing then you'd be set up.  Something I might look into myself. =] 

A flash powder is almost needed to be Kaito, along with a blow up doll to make your great escape, but with that would come some puns I'm sure. haha. xD 

But yes, any info is greatly welcomed and appreciated, and as I said earlier, Its late, so I'm rushing threw this message, I'm sure I probably accidentally skipped over something, so sorry if I did, I'll try to run threw it again when I get some time, but yea, thanks a bunch for your time and effort you put into your reply, and hopefully we'll be in touch again soon! :D
Flippin the tables.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”
MadelineLime

Postby MadelineLime » January 3rd, 2012, 4:13 pm

I'm going to assume you haven't read the manga or seen the specials? To keep from too many spoilers, Pandora is a stone. :3

I think we also have to have it load with flat cards, but his are rolled when shot. It just.. would probably never work IRL. >__<

The major problem with flash powder is that you can't put them on the gloves, because it'll make them appear very grayed. :\

I'm actually planning out a stage show as Kid, so I really need to figure out the flash powder. Most cons won't even let you use confetti and such. Whatever goes on stage with you MUST leave with you. Ugh
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Postby mangaluva » January 3rd, 2012, 4:23 pm

Nyhilatiant wrote:
Now I'm not entirely sure what a Pandora is, I tried to google search it really fast, and I'm not sure, is that just like a miniature top hat?  xD 

Did you actually just say that?

It's a large jewel that shines blood-red in the moonlight and may or may not grant immortality.
skyechan
Community Hero

"真実はいつも一つ!"

Postby skyechan » January 3rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

mangaluva wrote:
Nyhilatiant wrote:

It's a large jewel that shines blood-red in the moonlight and may or may not grant immortality.

After all, it's the magical Macguffin that drives the entire plot of Magic Kaito. (But I can understand that if someone likes Kid but hasn't read MK or watched the specials wouldn't have a clue as to why Kid is going after gems in the first place...)
ImageImage
Nyhilatiant

Postby Nyhilatiant » January 3rd, 2012, 6:22 pm

mangaluva wrote:
Nyhilatiant wrote:

Ummmm, apparently I completely missed that, or its been to long since I've last watched them to remember.  Notice, I did mention I work, and for a long while I was working 2 full time jobs 18hrs a day, so be completely burnt out from work, watching specials, and getting 3hrs of sleep a night for a couple years straight, you tend to forget some minor things, and yes, sorry to say it but Kid specials are in the minor category when you work as much as I was.  Now that i've got a better job, etc, I guess I'll go re-watch them all, happy? :P
Flippin the tables.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”
Nyhilatiant

Postby Nyhilatiant » January 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm

skyechan wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
Nyhilatiant wrote:

After all, it's the magical Macguffin that drives the entire plot of Magic Kaito. (But I can understand that if someone likes Kid but hasn't read MK or watched the specials wouldn't have a clue as to why Kid is going after gems in the first place...)

Sadly I have not read MK.  Please enlighten me with how I can go about doing so.  I'll search around on dctp real quick to try and find it.  =]
Flippin the tables.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Postby kkslider5552000 » January 3rd, 2012, 6:30 pm

MadelineLime wrote:I'm actually planning on doing a very well done crossplay, and I was going to make a tutorial on making a tophat from a crappy tophat base. I actually already have a white one I "made" for Zatanna, but it's too short for Kaitou so I might just remake another one (lol because who doesn't need two white tophats?)

This is a really, really bad photo of me, but it's great of the hat.

Spoiler:

I think you have that reversed, you look great, the costume not so much.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Nyhilatiant

Postby Nyhilatiant » January 3rd, 2012, 6:44 pm

MadelineLime wrote:I'm actually planning out a stage show as Kid, so I really need to figure out the flash powder. Most cons won't even let you use confetti and such. Whatever goes on stage with you MUST leave with you. Ugh

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking.  A liquid Nitrogen type of smoke bomb.  Liquid Nitrogen is harmless, it leaves no stains, and it dissolves into air, seeing as the air with breath is a good portion of Nitrogen.  I work with daily and its actually pretty fascinating.  While thinking of a way to do it, to show that its harmless, here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpbY_hXH2U) of a guy taking Liquid Nitrogen and dropping it into a thing of hot water and soap, at the end of the video, you can see the soap suds going everywhere, if you don't use the soap there will be no bubbles etc.  But as you can see, the smoke dissolves after a brief second or two, and there you have it.  I'm going over it in my head of how to make little baggy or balloon objects so you can just drop it and it creates the same effect. I think it'd be pretty nifty though!
Flippin the tables.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”
MadelineLime

Postby MadelineLime » January 4th, 2012, 12:59 am

kkslider5552000 wrote:I think you have that reversed, you look great, the costume not so much.

Ahhh, thanks but my face looks so greasy, cannot unsee. Also yeah, shitty satin gloves, blergh. I definitely won't be using those for Kaitou.

Nyhilatiant wrote:Okay, so here's what I'm thinking.  A liquid Nitrogen type of smoke bomb.  Liquid Nitrogen is harmless, it leaves no stains, and it dissolves into air, seeing as the air with breath is a good portion of Nitrogen.  I work with daily and its actually pretty fascinating.  While thinking of a way to do it, to show that its harmless, here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpbY_hXH2U) of a guy taking Liquid Nitrogen and dropping it into a thing of hot water and soap, at the end of the video, you can see the soap suds going everywhere, if you don't use the soap there will be no bubbles etc.  But as you can see, the smoke dissolves after a brief second or two, and there you have it.  I'm going over it in my head of how to make little baggy or balloon objects so you can just drop it and it creates the same effect. I think it'd be pretty nifty though!

omg, that is amazing! If you can figure that out, please let me know! I want to try this for something like Otakon. I've had problems with them letting me do things in the past, (I was going to do the Ember Island Players but "it wasn't anime enough" even though they have an Avatar panel...), so I feel like I might be on thin ice with them and want to have it all organized before I even reg. I shouldn't even talk about doing this incase someone else jumps the gun and decides to go through with it, but that's the risk I'm willing to take to make this purely amazing. I'm annoyed I can't also use confetti and doves. XD

Uhhh I feel like I'm completely hijacking the thread. :x
toyks

Don't forget your trap, Kanji-kun

Postby toyks » February 2nd, 2012, 7:28 am

skyechan wrote:
Spoiler: Shoe example

It looks like my brother's school shoes! :o

This is great. I'm going to find some broken eyeglasses (we don't have any monocle), a pair of gloves I used as a kid, and white sheets. Then I'll make him run around the neighborhood looking like a thrashed Kaitou Kid XD
[center]Image
I-I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass! (-_-メ) - Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4) ::)
3DS friend code: 2406-5413-8969 Let's play MK 7 and Swap Note!
wolf4537

Postby wolf4537 » April 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Hey guys, I'm going to cosplay as Kaitou Kid myself for Anime Boston this upcoming weekend. I'm hoping everything goes well, as I pretty much have everything prepared.

Does anyone know if they made an official Kaitou Kid Monocle prop though? My friend made one for me but I was wondering if they made any actual monocles to sell on Ebay or anything like that.
DETECTIVE CONAN AND WOLF'S RAIN ROCK
skyechan
Community Hero

"真実はいつも一つ!"

Postby skyechan » April 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

wolf4537 wrote:Hey guys, I'm going to cosplay as Kaitou Kid myself for Anime Boston this upcoming weekend. I'm hoping everything goes well, as I pretty much have everything prepared.

Does anyone know if they made an official Kaitou Kid Monocle prop though? My friend made one for me but I was wondering if they made any actual monocles to sell on Ebay or anything like that.

I saw an official (I think???) posted on Yahoo!Japan auctions eons ago. It was one of the most expensive listings on there.

My makeshift monocle works great (read my post here for an explanation), and I did manage to come up with a solution to the "unable to wear properly" problem. It won't work like a normal monocle, but it'll keep it on your face. Buy a cheap pair of glasses/sunglasses (I bought a $5 pair of sunglasses at Walmart) and unscrew everything, leaving only the bridge piece and the right ear piece. Hot glue these pieces where you need them on the monocle. Use bobby pins in your hair/wig to keep the monocle in place. Profit!
ImageImage

Return to “Kaitou Kid”