how the hell kaitou still free?

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
chinpokomon

how the hell kaitou still free?

Postby chinpokomon » October 29th, 2011, 3:38 pm

although i only familier with kaitou kid from the DC anime(i highly doubt it i'll read the manga, not because i don't like kaitou but because it stopped and i kinda hate to stop in the middle of a story) but i always wondered, is kaitou really trying to conceal his identity? his face is wide revealed(the monocole is not doing much concealing work since it's transperent and all) but for some reason nobody knows his true identity which is strange considering the wide media coverage he's getting and i bet a friend of his will recognize his face on tv or something like that(not the mention the strong connection which is the love for magic).
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Re: how the hell kaitou still free?

Postby mangaluva » October 29th, 2011, 4:09 pm

A) It's implied that in-universe, the monocle, hat and most importantly the fact that he works in the darkness and tends to stay heavily backlit when there are lights hides his features very well. Also, he wears a highly distinguishing outfit; people who see him are more likely to notice the hat, cape, schweet suit, awesome tricks etc and not notice actual features.
B) The issue of his face was in fact addressed in "Kaitou Kid's Busy Day", when Nakamori-keibu saw it. However, at the end of the chapter, Kaito disguised himself perfectly as Aoko, causing Nakamori to think that Kid was just messing with his head by disguising himself as people Nakamori knows. (In the anime episode, this was expanded to Kaito going through multiple disguises before settling on Aoko's face). If anyone sees Kid's face, odds are they'll assume it's a mask of some sort.
chinpokomon

Postby chinpokomon » October 29th, 2011, 4:20 pm

is there even a point to reading magic kaitou seeing how the manga stopped to make room for DC?
mangaluva

Postby mangaluva » October 29th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Well, yes. You get a lot of background on Kaitou Kid, which allows you to get a lot of references in DC (particularly Yukiko's sensei), and also, IT'S AWESOME. That's reason enough to read it.
Dus
Community Drunken Raccoon

45% Kogoro, 54% Raccoon, 100% Beerslayer

Postby Dus » October 29th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Also: It hasn't stopped, new chapters have appeared recently and I assume there are more to come.
We don't make mistakes. We have happy accidents.
Remember: A thin paint will stick to a thick paint.
yamiangie

Postby yamiangie » October 29th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Well as others have said Kid is such a master of disguise that the police are unsure if he uses his own face or not under that monocle.  Shadows have to also play a big part because even in OVA ten i noticed they keep his face in shadow when he confronts the hotel owner and when he's talking to Conan.
I think the rest is self deception as no one has asked Kid what happened to that mustache he used to have. 

Also he's really good at running and misdirection so the cops can't lay a hand on him even if they do find out who he is.  Really I think if they did find out he's just pack up and bolt.
Commi-Ninja

Postby Commi-Ninja » October 29th, 2011, 10:26 pm

I notice nobody's mentioned the fact that it's fairly common in fiction for even just a pair of glasses to be an effective disguise. (See:  Clark Kent/Superman)
3DS FC: 4699-5851-2068
I might wake up early and go running. I also might wake up and win the lottery. The odds are about the same.
yamiangie

Postby yamiangie » October 29th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Yeah but Conan already owns that effect. 
And well Kid normally has very little contact with people he encounters on heists with the exception on Nankimori who he convinced Kid was not Kaito and Hakuba who seems to have moved back to England to protest Kid cheating on him with Conan.  Not to many people to constantly hide from.
mangaluva

Postby mangaluva » October 30th, 2011, 9:37 am

It's the Moist Von Lipwig principle; people remember distinctive clothes and accessories better than facial features XD
queenmisanagi

hatate--journalist, yandere, certified cutie

Postby queenmisanagi » October 31st, 2011, 11:28 am

I also recommend reading the manga :)

I also noticed that in the first appearance of KID in DC, his face is always covered with some shadows. Try watching it again!

The only problem I have with the MK manga is about that chapter where Hakuba
Spoiler:
got several strands of KID's hair and if he really was insistent on proving Kaito is KID, wouldn't he have just got some DNA off Kaito and compared the two? I'm not sure if that chapter was released during the time when DNA analysis was existent, though but if they're going to adapt it to an anime now, they need to come up with a plan on how to remedy this.
KID and Shinichi sitting on a tree... S-O-L-V-I-N-G ... crimes...

fuckyeahkaishin.tumblr.com
mangaluva

Postby mangaluva » October 31st, 2011, 12:56 pm

queen misanagi wrote:I also recommend reading the manga :)

I also noticed that in the first appearance of KID in DC, his face is always covered with some shadows. Try watching it again!

Spoiler:
got several strands of KID's hair and if he really was insistent on proving Kaito is KID, wouldn't he have just got some DNA off Kaito and compared the two? I'm not sure if that chapter was released during the time when DNA analysis was existent, though but if they're going to adapt it to an anime now, they need to come up with a plan on how to remedy this.

He did suggest it to Nakamori, but Nakamori didn't believe him because he was certain that the current Kid is the same guy who first appeared in Paris something like twenty years ago, which obviously Kaito and any other high-school students would be too young to be.
queenmisanagi

hatate--journalist, yandere, certified cutie

Postby queenmisanagi » October 31st, 2011, 1:03 pm

mangaluva wrote:
queen misanagi wrote:I also recommend reading the manga :)

Spoiler:

He did suggest it to Nakamori, but Nakamori didn't believe him because he was certain that the current Kid is the same guy who first appeared in Paris something like twenty years ago, which obviously Kaito and any other high-school students would be too young to be.

What I remember is that he ran it through his computer that gave him the characteristics of the person and when he said that KID is a teenager, that's when Nakamouri got mad and stuff.
KID and Shinichi sitting on a tree... S-O-L-V-I-N-G ... crimes...

fuckyeahkaishin.tumblr.com
MaitreDétective

Postby MaitreDétective » November 1st, 2011, 5:05 am

Read the MK manga. It's an order from the Dark Knight.
Trishula

Postby Trishula » November 7th, 2011, 11:43 pm

What questions me is that why the Police never use guns when they're armed with it.
yamiangie

Postby yamiangie » November 8th, 2011, 12:21 am

Well from what i know in real life japanese cops aren't trigger happy.  You don't see Division 1 shooting people left and right.  Besides you want the culprit alive for his trial, unless you want them to shoot Kid out of the sky like a duck.  Yeah phantom thief street pizza is going to make the police look so good in the public eye.