KID figuring out Conan = Shinichi in Canonverse

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
queenmisanagi
hatate--journalist, yandere, certified cutie

Re: KID figuring out Conan = Shinichi in Canonverse

Post by queenmisanagi »

Shuusgirl wrote:
queen misanagi wrote:
Spoiler:
'Cause of that brat I had to swim to get away, Kaito said in Vol16 p112. Brat meaning kid as in a child, right?
I don't think so that means that KID thinks he's a child.
But this was their first meeting so we can assume that if ever KID found out about Conan being Shinichi, he gradually found out about it. But BlueSnake has a point about the being naked thing as working for someone who is a teenager. Then again, being naked in public is something we don't want to happen to us, regardless of age.
KID and Shinichi sitting on a tree... S-O-L-V-I-N-G ... crimes...

fuckyeahkaishin.tumblr.com
SnakeBlue
alien visitor is bored, this is not a good thing.

Post by SnakeBlue »

again with the name, why can no one ever get my name right?
(sorry, ranting, quitting now.)

a regular first grader wouldn't like that Ran wasn't dressed; but he wouldn't have freaked out like Conan did, at least not as quickly.
the unnaturally fast reaction was what Kid was counting on to help him get away.
please, just call me Snake if the full name is too much.
(surely that's not too much to ask?)
Shuusgirl
Sweet revenge...

Post by Shuusgirl »

queen misanagi wrote:
Shuusgirl wrote:
queen misanagi wrote:
Spoiler:
'Cause of that brat I had to swim to get away, Kaito said in Vol16 p112. Brat meaning kid as in a child, right?
I don't think so that means that KID thinks he's a child.
But this was their first meeting so we can assume that if ever KID found out about Conan being Shinichi, he gradually found out about it. But BlueSnake has a point about the being naked thing as working for someone who is a teenager. Then again, being naked in public is something we don't want to happen to us, regardless of age.
No, it was their second meeting.  I find it suspicious that out of everyone he could have dressed up as, it was the "nee-chan" of the brat who he's already commented isn't normal at all.  I think he figured it out between the first meeting on the roof and his impersonation of Ran.  Also, he gets to see cool Conan on the roof, then childish Conan right after.  Gotta raise some red flags there.
And as for the whole "I don't think so that means that KID thinks he's a child." thing, I've finally figured out what I was trying to say.  I meant that he's in a child's body, not that KID thinks he's a child in age.  After all, if the whole Pandora thing turns out to be canon, then he's already got a foot in the...unrealistic world.
"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." --Sherlock Holmes
Yeah Kogoro, did you read this one?
Dus
Community Drunken Raccoon
45% Kogoro, 54% Raccoon, 100% Beerslayer

Post by Dus »

Disguising as Ran doesn't have to mean that he knew who Conan was. He definitely suspects something is up with him, and there are only 2 people close to him on that ship, with Ran being the more inconspicuous disguise. But since Conan's relationship with Ran is definitely not what one would expect of a 6-year old, he might have figured it out in his second appearance.

Also: Gosho said in the recent interview, that he didn't include the wedding in a movie, because then he wouldn't be able to draw it in the manga. Meaning that the movies and the manga aren't completely separate and that Gosho wants to avoid contradictions.
We don't make mistakes. We have happy accidents.
Remember: A thin paint will stick to a thick paint.
Shuusgirl
Sweet revenge...

Post by Shuusgirl »

Dus wrote: Disguising as Ran doesn't have to mean that he knew who Conan was. He definitely suspects something is up with him, and there are only 2 people close to him on that ship, with Ran being the more inconspicuous disguise. But since Conan's relationship with Ran is definitely not what one would expect of a 6-year old, he might have figured it out in his second appearance.
But remember that he came and picked up her dress as the "dry cleaner".  He knows Conan's not normal, visits him in his own house, puts the radically different Conan's together to come to the conclusion that he's not really a child, confirms it by dressing up as Ran.  Anyway, the point I'm attempting to make is that I don't think he chose Ran on accident.
Dus wrote: Also: Gosho said in the recent interview, that he didn't include the wedding in a movie, because then he wouldn't be able to draw it in the manga. Meaning that the movies and the manga aren't completely separate and that Gosho wants to avoid contradictions.
...I'm not sure where you're going here...
"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." --Sherlock Holmes
Dus
Community Drunken Raccoon
45% Kogoro, 54% Raccoon, 100% Beerslayer

Post by Dus »

Well, yes, he chose to disguise as Ran because he wanted to learn more about that boy. He shouldn't have had much of a reason to believe he was something else than a child prodigy at this point.

And what I mean is:
The movies make it sufficiently clear that Kid knows Conan's identity. Since the movies and the manga shall not contradict each other, Kid cannot explicitely NOT know in the manga.
We don't make mistakes. We have happy accidents.
Remember: A thin paint will stick to a thick paint.
Shuusgirl
Sweet revenge...

Post by Shuusgirl »

Dus wrote: Well, yes, he chose to disguise as Ran because he wanted to learn more about that boy. He shouldn't have had much of a reason to believe he was something else than a child prodigy at this point.

And what I mean is:
The movies make it sufficiently clear that Kid knows Conan's identity. Since the movies and the manga shall not contradict each other, Kid cannot explicitly NOT know in the manga.
That's totally true (for both points).  Didn't Gosho (or someone on the forums, I confuse the two  ;D ) say that while the movies aren't canon, they don't go against?
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

What Gosho said doesn't necessarly mean the movies and the manga can't contradict each other. He just means that he didn't want to do something in the manga which would have already been done in a movie, at least that's how I understand it.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

queenmisanagi
hatate--journalist, yandere, certified cutie

Post by queenmisanagi »

I just wish Gosho would end all our confusion and just make KID explicitly know/say that he knows Conan's identity...in the manga so it's now canon.

(Guuuh if Gosho takes part in the movie decision thing, why can't we just count the movies as canon? I know the general rule of anime/manga worlds says we can't but darn it, things are so simpler that way. Esp in DC where -and I agree- the films and manga do not contradict each other.)
KID and Shinichi sitting on a tree... S-O-L-V-I-N-G ... crimes...

fuckyeahkaishin.tumblr.com
SnakeBlue
alien visitor is bored, this is not a good thing.

Post by SnakeBlue »

now that would fix the problem!
(but then we would be out of a topic here.)
please, just call me Snake if the full name is too much.
(surely that's not too much to ask?)
Shiromi

Post by Shiromi »

Sorry about necro-posting, but I think that this is an interesting topic worthy of further discussion.

It's been my impression that Kaito doesn't know or particularly care about Conan's real identity. And, if he thinks "This kid couldn't actually be a kid," then I think instead of connecting Conan = Shinichi, which would mean that he'd have to believe it was possible to be de-aged, I think he'd probably assume Conan was a sufferer of one of those rare diseases that prevents one from aging properly.
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Shiromi wrote:Sorry about necro-posting, but I think that this is an interesting topic worthy of further discussion.

It's been my impression that Kaito doesn't know or particularly care about Conan's real identity. And, if he thinks "This kid couldn't actually be a kid," then I think instead of connecting Conan = Shinichi, which would mean that he'd have to believe it was possible to be de-aged, I think he'd probably assume Conan was a sufferer of one of those rare diseases that prevents one from aging properly.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... mones.html

Except the kicker, in the case of this specific disease, would be that Shinichi/Conan clearly has the mental capacity of a teenage high school detective—this disease wouldn't allow for that.

On the other hand, this condition might:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6eccO19po
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Shiromi

Post by Shiromi »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Shiromi wrote:Sorry about necro-posting, but I think that this is an interesting topic worthy of further discussion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... mones.html

Except the kicker, in the case of this specific disease, would be that Shinichi/Conan clearly has the mental capacity of a teenage high school detective—this disease wouldn't allow for that.

On the other hand, this condition might:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6eccO19po
Kaito doesn't have a very good knowledge of medicine, unless it's something he has personal experience with (he gives Conan some of his cold medicine - not exactly a difficult medical problem). So, I don't think that he would figure out that Conan's case is extremely unusual. He'd probably just remember vague headlines about adults with child-like bodies and guess that Conan's like that too.

I think it's interesting when it's explored in Fanfic, but I don't think Goushou will ever have Kaito discover who Conan really is. Kaitou KID is just a pet side-character that he brings in when he's tired of Conan.
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Shiromi wrote:Kaito doesn't have a very good knowledge of medicine, unless it's something he has personal experience with (he gives Conan some of his cold medicine - not exactly a difficult medical problem). So, I don't think that he would figure out that Conan's case is extremely unusual. He'd probably just remember vague headlines about adults with child-like bodies and guess that Conan's like that too.

I think it's interesting when it's explored in Fanfic, but I don't think Goushou will ever have Kaito discover who Conan really is. Kaitou KID is just a pet side-character that he brings in when he's tired of Conan.
If Kaito's intervention in Mystery Train merely happened because he couldn't think of a way to maintain the status quo (though everyone in the BO besides Vermouth thinking Shiho/Ai is dead isn't minor—at least for now—in my opinion), then it's most likely not going to happen, and Kaito will just be there to challenge Shinichi/Conan mentally, once in a while (it's been 2 and 1/2 years since the last Kid case, by the way—I think we're due one in 2016).

As for the movies, however...

If the pattern of how often they do movies that are about Kid holds (3, 8, 14, 19—I don't count 10; Movie 10 was not focused on Kid), then Movie 25 (due out in 2021—even if DC somehow is done or will be done by then, MK won't, and the movies certainly won't) will be the next Kid movie. I hope they'll involve the MK characters, and have Shinichi disguise as Kid, after figuring out his identity, but having a reason to keep it hidden. After three movies repeating the plot twist of Movie 3 in different ways, we're due the reverse.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
HAIBARA......

Post by HAIBARA...... »

Well I think that kid knows about Conan true identity cz of his talks with Conan and in the movie I don't remember it's name when kid was disgised as shinichi in front of Conan that means that he is sure that shinichi will not apper
When your friends and you are separated from each other then a part of your heart leaves with them
MISSING YOU LIKE HELL :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Without you I am nothing but a lost soul :'( :'( :'( :'(