Do you think it's fair Kaito knows who Conan is but not vice

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
Leonawriter

Re: Do you think it's fair Kaito knows who Conan is but not

Postby Leonawriter » March 30th, 2010, 6:24 pm

A lot of things filter from anime/movie to manga.  Not just Shiratori and Yamamura; Takagi first appeared in anime, and is now a regular.  I can't think of everything off the top of my head, but I'm sure there're more.

I think it is fair.  If Kid thought Conan was just a real little boy, he'd always be subconsciously underestimating him, probably.  There is the fact that Kaito thinks sideways to be dealt with, but still.  That very fact would lead him to wonder why the little kid just happens to be one of his best critics.  Whereas on the other hand if Conan knew then the info would be at odds with his detective's sense of justice - he'd probably want to just have things as before (heists are fun and harmless), but not be able to throw the info away, and so have to do something with it.

On the 'Is it possible?' part of the thread, I'd say yes.  Going from sources, the Kid would know that Conan reacts to the 'method acting' psyche like an adult, doesn't react around a body the same way normal children would, etc. etc.  That's not even mentioning the HOW of how he found out in the third movie, which hadn't really been brought up!

Spoiler:
In that part, it's implied that Kid listened in on Conan talking with Agasa on the phone and overheard something.  If he's got at least some points of reference - and he wouldn't have to know who Kudo Shinichi was, even, then this would be somewhat incriminating for Conan/Shinichi.
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior

*punches Akonyl*

Postby Kleene Onigiri » March 31st, 2010, 3:26 pm

I think KID is at least suspicious of Conan being Kudo Shinichi. Since he's the only one that gave him a lot of trouble when he was involved. And now a small kid is giving him a lot of problems too.

"Do you think it's fair Kaito knows who Conan is but not vice versa?"

I think it's fair.
Considering Conan get's to know KIDs identity and is not handing him out to the police:

Conan: "Hey KID, I need you to disguise as Kudo Shinichi tomorrow."
KID: "What!? again!?"

Poor KID xD
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3

Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)

3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
Eve

Hiatus :P

Postby Eve » September 30th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Akonyl wrote:sorta fair I guess, because Lupin found out who Conan was also. I guess to people in movies/specials it's just not hard to find out.

::) I can't say I love every movie soo....... the people who direct these movies are not die hard DC fans :P they don't care lol
Image Image
[quote="朱砂泪"]
镜湖翠微低云垂佳人å¸
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Postby mangaluva » October 1st, 2010, 5:00 pm

Eve wrote:
Akonyl wrote:sorta fair I guess, because Lupin found out who Conan was also. I guess to people in movies/specials it's just not hard to find out.

::) I can't say I love every movie soo....... the people who direct these movies are not die hard DC fans :P they don't care lol

Movies aren't canon, so who cares?
"Well, that was a complete waste of time."
"Indeed. Let's never speak of it again."
gwonbush

Postby gwonbush » October 28th, 2010, 1:33 am

Kaito Kid has enough information to link the disappearance of Shinichi to the appearance of Conan, even in the canon world.  He has two common knowledge facts: the dates of Mouri's rise and Shinichi's disappearance.  He can also attribute Kogoro's rise to him becoming the Sleeping Kogoro.  Kaito Kid knows that Kogoro is not a talented detective, since he mimicked his behavior nearly perfectly in the Sunset Mansion case.  He also is aware of Conan's impressive deductive skill and proximity to Kogoro.  He has also been aimed at by the tranquilizer watch, and even showed awareness of what it did (Mid-Air walk).  This makes it easy to deduct that Conan is the one behind Sleeping Kogoro.  The dates match up and there is a link between Shinichi and Kogoro also (not that much digging required to know that Shinichi is a childhood friend of Ran.)  That and the tidbit in the most recent Kid case refering to Shinichi's mom is probably enough. 

None of this means that Kid will actually follow through with it.
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Postby mangaluva » October 30th, 2010, 6:28 pm

That would all imply that Kaito spends a large amount of time poking the dates around both Conan's life and Shinichi's. Aside from heists where Conan's around, I don't think that Kaito really spends that much time stalking investigating his little rival; he has more pressing issues to worry about.
Suutashi

I'll fix it later.

Postby Suutashi » November 10th, 2010, 8:53 pm

I think a good example of whether or not Kid would take the time and effort to find out more about Conan is shown at the Blue Wonder Heist. -------->
Spoiler:
A second may also be the Kirin's Horn Heist. I hate having to bring up the whole stun gun incident but the fact he knows as least the 'What' part of Conan actually being Shinichi would explain the use of the taser. If he was aware of the fact that Conan is really Shinichi (maybe not know how that's even possible) he would be aware that Conan has the central nervous system of someone who is seventeen-years-old not a seven-year-old then he might consider the use of a taser as 'non-harm'. (Actually tasers are not meant to knock people out but rather use an electric jolt to cause muscles to seize up. It's made to be very painful and make so that the person tazed can not move. I don't know where they got the whole 'knock-a-person-out thing' Testing for Carpal Tunnel is done in a similar manner only with a much weaker electric jolt and has you hooked up to recording devices.) In a way his sleeping gas capsules are more dangerous as he could accidentally overdose someone Conan's size and the same goes with chloroform which is even easier to over dose someone; even someone much larger that Conan. So if he did plan out having to knock out someone the size of a child during the Kirin's Horn heist he may known this in advance.
Shuusgirl

Sweet revenge...

Postby Shuusgirl » December 22nd, 2010, 2:59 am

suutashi wrote:I think a good example of whether or not Kid would take the time and effort to find out more about Conan is shown at the Blue Wonder Heist. -------->
Spoiler:

Besides Kaito's amazing stalking skills, remember that he's spent time as both Ran and Kogoro around Conan.  Given that he already knows that Conan's not normal by the time he's Kogoro he could have used that time to try to figure out who Conan really is.  Spending more time around Conan with Conan being a detective would give Kaito some clues.
"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." --Sherlock Holmes
Yeah Kogoro, did you read this one?
The DCG

Mummy Cat is Mummified.

Postby The DCG » December 22nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

On topic:  Sure it'd be fair.  If the information was used for nefarious purposes, maybe not, but with Kid, that's not really an issue, right?

Off topic, or, on the topic of possible canon knowledge, specifically addressing the point that 'Kaito would find out because he's somewhat obsessed with Conan as a critic/rival.'

Wouldn't this work in reverse, too?  Conan obviously considers Kid's heists as rather delightful challenges.  His father was the original Kaitou Kid's critic, (re: the case with the wallet in the library I'm not looking up to cite right now), and probably has newspaper clipping and the like as research material.  (Or even if he didn't, Kaitou Kid's current popularity would make those files easy to find.)  An eight year break with a new, younger Kid?  Not hard to figure out.  Oh, hey, didn't Mom's teacher, that famous magician die eight years ago?  And he has a teen-aged son?

So if one would assume Kaito could figure out who Shinichi is, one could figure the reverse just as easily, if not more so.  (On the account that Kaito is an ingenious magician and Shinichi is an ingenious detective.  And, as Chekhov pointed out, the APTX route is fairly anti-intuitive.  'Like father, like son' is an adage.)  One could therefore assume that they know as much about one another as they choose to?

Also, their respective pride, sense of fair play, and relative self-involvement makes it unlikely that they have bothered to find anything out.  IMNSHO.  And wouldn't use it if they did.  Due to wanting to defeat the other at their specialties...
Shuusgirl

Sweet revenge...

Postby Shuusgirl » December 24th, 2010, 1:44 am

I think the difference between Conan figuring out who Kaito really is and vice versa is that Conan doesn't go looking for opportunities to challenge Kid.  (Too busy dealing with the tons of people dying around him  ;) ) Kid actually sets up heists for Conan to come and challenge him.  
I highly doubt that either one of them would care about the other's alter-ego, and neither one of them would misuse the knowledge.  Ok, Kaito would prolly do what he did at the end of movie 14 more often, just to bug Shinichi, but other than that.
"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." --Sherlock Holmes
Yeah Kogoro, did you read this one?