Black Star adaptations

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.
Itsabere

Black Star adaptations

Postby Itsabere » September 15th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Does anybody know what these stills are from? It's not the 1412 anime, the heist (if I recall correctly) wasn't adapted for the specials, and the art style doesn't seem to mesh with episode 219...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/edb11ea256726befec5073fdb799ad4b/eb2c361a6b0e2a1a-34/s1280x1920/4d225cff90b24319b510f6931b1ff0ba4a54acd7.jpg

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be grateful! It's driving me insane.
Raifuujin

What should I do next....

Re: Black Star adaptations

Postby Raifuujin » October 16th, 2019, 6:35 pm

* comes in late with Starbucks

Well, the Nakamori is definitely from episode 585. That background can only be the warehouse from that heist, with that kind of light.

The Kid I don't actually think is a screenshot, because it looks like one of those promotional things they make into a poster. Granted, I can't provide proof right now, but they've done similar things for promotions and the calendars, where they take a scene from the anime and make a new drawing of it.
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

3DS FC: 1504 6005 4982
     ___
    l     l
 __l::::l_
/\ (O_^)       Kaitou Approved
Namako

Re: Black Star adaptations

Postby Namako » December 8th, 2019, 10:33 am

* comes in even later

Dito to @Raifuujin. The photo looks like they are some kind of trading cards and for promotional stuff like this, so called "hanken mono cels" are often drawn, which are (or rather, were - I guess they are becoming really rare nowadays) created almost the same way regular cels for the production of Anime series were made, with the difference that they are intended for stills on promotional materials only - like the posters and calendars Raifuujin already mentioned. This makes them look like they are taken straight from the Anime, but contain the obvious stylistic differences you've noticed.

Hanken mono cels are really popular with collectors, since they are truly unique. If you want to know more about them, here's a pretty spot-on explanation, taken from here:
The term ‘hanken mono’ means copyrighted object. A hanken cel is a cel that was used for such copyrighted promotional purposes. These were the basis for things such as magazine ads or stories and images on books, shitajiki, trading cards, CDs, DVDs or other goods. While many hanken are very large to accomodate the detail and quality required, they can come in all sizes. The familiar images can become quite valuable. Many hanken have hand-inked lines and are produced with much higher quality than a cel used for animation. However, others might be less detailed and cheaper if they were made for purposes where the detail and quality wasn’t required (used for a very small image in a book or for a cheap set of trading cards).