Kid/Conan Cases for Season 2

Discussion relevant to everyone's favorite "Phantom Thief" happens here.

Assuming we get a season 2 for Magic Kaito 1412, which DC cases would you like to see in it?

Conan vs. Kaitou Kid (ep. 76)
15%
Magic Lover's Murder Case (ep. 132-134)
10%
The Gathering of the Detectives (ep. 219)
14%
Big Adventure in the Eccentric Mansion (ep. 394-396)
12%
Kaitou Kid and the Four Masterpieces (ep. 469-470)
7%
Kaitou Kid vs. the Strongest Safe (ep. 537-538)
9%
Kirin's Horn Case (ep. 585-587)
7%
The Jet-Black Mystery Train (ep. 701-704)
8%
Kaitou Kid and the Blush Mermaid (ep. 724-725)
9%
Kaitou Kid VS Makoto Kyogoku (ep. 746-747)
8%

Total votes: 106
char13happy

Re: Kid/Conan Cases for Season 2

Post by char13happy »

One reason I'd like them to do the Eccentric Mansion is because I think it had a bit of an element of fun some of the other cases are lacking (Four Masterpieces, Magician, Blush Mermaid). Plus, I'd love to see how Haibara being her snarky self once more when in Kid's presence.

Aside from that, the only others I'd like are the Black Star and Great Detectives. Also Jet-Black Train for the lulz. :P
Shiromi

Post by Shiromi »

Kor wrote:
MrDetective wrote:
Kor wrote:
MrDetective wrote: there's an exception to everything
An exception to what? Why did you arbitrarily decide the rule is to "dislike the show"?
because as I said, the art, the pacing...everything is so badly done...

this anime wouldn't make sense for people. It didn't even introduce Conan for exemple, so non-DC MK watchers won't know who he is and why he's so smart
But once again, you're trying to determine what people (who are not you) going to think about a show, and that is a very faulty reasoning because you're just being hypothetical. You're inventing strawmen who "won't understand the show" in order to explain why people wouldn't (or don't) like the show.
Dislike the show as much as you want, but don't try to invent some sort of a general consensus of what viewers think regarding the show (unless of course you have some statistics that suggest the show was universally disliked). Basically, just because you dislike it doesn't mean most of the viewers dislike it too.

As far as the art goes, it's passable. The pacing, while could be better at some spots, remained fairly consistent throughout the whole thing. There's plenty of stuff to like in the show and it's pretty serviceable overall, even with some of its missteps. (It was certainly better overall than some of the Conan episodes we've had to endure during its run)
The pacing was all over the place, the animation was ugly, the story-telling was sloppy and poorly-planned. This isn't just me or MrDetective who thinks this way... read the Magic Kaito 1412 Anime Discussion Thread. That was the general consensus.

The Ryouma story-arc was the one that was the least friendly to someone who isn't familiar with DC. Conan and co. just show up and suddenly are very important without any explanation or introduction. You can tell that Kaito considers Conan a threat, but you have no idea why, you have no idea what the history between them is, because you never get to see that history. They should have done the Black Star episode first - to show Kaito realizing that this little kid is a threat. Heck, they shouldn't have done the Ryouma case in the first season at all... we're missing a lot of vital development in their relationship. Conan has to go from trying to destroy Kaito to making him an (unwilling-sometimes) ally, which is something that takes a long time.

As for the second season... if they get it, seeing as the show was pretty weak... I wanna see slower pacing and more careful character development. I can forgive the bad art, because let's face it, DC is no masterpiece of beauty either.
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Shiromi wrote: As for the second season... if they get it, seeing as the show was pretty weak... I wanna see slower pacing and more careful character development. I can forgive the bad art, because let's face it, DC is no masterpiece of beauty either.
Regardless of the quality, the show's ratings were pretty damn good afaik, so I think one should factor that in regards to a second season.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

The pacing was all over the place, the animation was ugly, the story-telling was sloppy and poorly-planned. This isn't just me or MrDetective who thinks this way... read the Magic Kaito 1412 Anime Discussion Thread. That was the general consensus.
I started writing something about this weird urge for consensus, but then I noticed that you kinda turned this argument upside down. See, MrDetective quite clearly talked about liking vs disliking the show, and I hope you also realize, there's no general consensus over that matter.
My comments on the art and pacing were specifically personal opinion and I did not try to suggest that's the consensus.

I don't particularly like to play the "he said, she said" game, but I felt the need to make myself clear.

Regardless, here's what I started to write on the consensus thing:
Spoiler:
We must be reading it in different ways, because the way I see it, opinions on the show were somewhat divisive, with some episodes being well received, and some not being so well received.
But whoever it was that ruled that our discussion thread is what should form the consensus? I mean, we probably have there only around 20 individual posters who voiced their opinion at one point or the other, and some of the posts there aren't really smart, to say the least.
But let's assume we ever needed a consensus for this thing that doesn't really need a consensus. Why that discussion thread when we can go to other places for it, if we so desperately want it. We can go to the Crunchyroll reviews section, in which a majority of the ratings are 5 stars. Or maybe go to the ANN's article of the show, in which it's been given more "good" ratings than "bad".
The Ryouma story-arc was the one that was the least friendly to someone who isn't familiar with DC. Conan and co. just show up and suddenly are very important without any explanation or introduction. You can tell that Kaito considers Conan a threat, but you have no idea why, you have no idea what the history between them is, because you never get to see that history. They should have done the Black Star episode first - to show Kaito realizing that this little kid is a threat. Heck, they shouldn't have done the Ryouma case in the first season at all... we're missing a lot of vital development in their relationship. Conan has to go from trying to destroy Kaito to making him an (unwilling-sometimes) ally, which is something that takes a long time.
This is where I have to raise an eyebrow. Why are you putting this show on such a pedestal and ignore every form of context? The primary audience of this show is Japanese, and I'm pretty sure it's a given most of the viewers of this anime in Japan knew of Conan. This show's timeslot came right before Conan's timeslot, so even if there was one odd soul who has never heard of DC in their life, he should have known by just lingering around a bit. Heck Conan was right there in the first promo of the series. Right there from the promo it screamed at you "THIS IS RELATED TO THAT OTHER SHOW WITH THE DETECTIVE BOY". (I'd find it weird most of viewers weren't even aware beforehand of the rivalry nature of Conan and Kaito Kid from the DC anime and movies).
If the showrunners didn't take into account people who have never ever heard of DC in their life, that's because they had no reason to take that into account.

Sure, you can't tell your South African friends who have never heard of DC that this show stands on its own, but criticizing it for this aspect is unnecessary because it never set itself to stand on its own (nor do I think it could, because Kaito Kid has been part of the Conan franchise for years).