Kirite's tutorials

Forum reserved for any fan-fiction, fan-art, AMVs or the like that you feel the need to post.
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Re: Kirite's tutorials

Post by kirite »

With that said I will double post, shame on me.  But seeing it's a tutorial thread and all I rather keep all my tutorials on separate post...: S

Here's my mini tutorial on another technique to copy pictures.

How to use negative space and positive space to check your copy picture:

The area coloured in PINK is the area we're used to seeing and drawing.  This is called "positive space",

The area coloured in BLUE is called NEGATIVE SPACE.  In this case the negative space is the background, people sometimes forget that a like the positive space, it's important to draw the negative space correctly as well!  When I draw I tend to check both positive and negative spaces, when you change between them it'll give you a fresh perspective on things that you thought were correct : >.

Now I'll show you a practical example of how this can be used.  I think Cure-kun from DCW for volunteering his pictures for my tutorials \o/.  Thank you so much <3!

Let's say the drawn version of Heiji's hair is bothering you, but when you look at the measurements and positive space you're not sure what's wrong. 
If you compare the shape of the negative space (shown in red) you can see where the difference is much clearer.  It's just comparing the shape of two triangles instead of the shape of two Heiji hairs.
Of course negative space can get complicated too xD.  But try your best to compare them~ you can use it to see wrong angles you previously missed : ).

Of course negative/positive space viewing skill doesn't only have to apply to the whole figure of Shinichi and Heiji vs background.  It can be as small as wanting to check the shape of Shinichi's neck against his shirt and jacket.  Use this skill whenever you feel like you need to compare shapes and angles.

Best of luck <3

-kirite
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

kirite wrote:
Nooooo feel free to hijack I want to learn too ;A;

Or create your own tutorial thread, I'll love you forever <33333
I wouldn't even know what to create a tutorial on. I did learn something from yours. I never really messed with channels much. I did download a book on them, but I have been so lazy to go through it.
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Soreiyu:  Yeah I find photoshop books too expensive/boring to read through myself xD.  I tend to use free tutorials online for everything lol.

I'm working on a tutorial right now since I saw some members talking about not being able to draw folds, I'm just going to write down some notes for now since I'm too busy to make a full tutorial.

For everyone who's in the Toronto area, I hope you check out Imaginism's SUBWAY SKETCHING on sunday afternoons! Most of what I learn is from the people there, I learn especially from T-bear : ).

Drawing folds (preview):

-To draw folds you must first understand what creates the folds. For example imagine the shoulder as a ball and now picture a cloth on the ball. What doe the cloth look it? Why is it this way? The folds are being created because the ball is pushing the cloth up while gravity is pushing the cloth down. If you study what's pushing and pulling and folding the fabric, it will give you a better idea to where to draw the folds.

-Folds are nothing to be scared of. They always act more of less the same way, they all look different in the DETAILS, but they're underlying structure can be understood.

-The more lines you add to your folds, the more likely you will confuse the viewer.
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

I suggest to actually do real life studies of fabric. You can drape them on different things to see exactly how the folds look. You can also adjust lighting with a lamp or other light source like a flashlight or window. The best way to learn is through observation and practice.
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

Soreiyu wrote: I suggest to actually do real life studies of fabric. You can drape them on different things to see exactly how the folds look. You can also adjust lighting with a lamp or other light source like a flashlight or window. The best way to learn is through observation and practice.
I gotta agree with this. Like...I started doing better with folds after I was bored in class and just stared at everybody, looking at the way the shadows were making the folds appear xDD

I'm not even kidding, best wasted hour of my life  :-X
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

My problem with folds is, what kind of "line" to use. Since you can use a simple, "straight" line, or when the folds are "stacking", you sometime use a not closed, squished circle. Like a mouth :x
Folds around the boobs are the hardest XD
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

For me it's not boobs but the crotch area on pants... >_<
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

That's true... Being female I can just look down for the ...*eherm*, and even for the crotch area but...

Not only is that part hard to get the folds and look right, it's...awkward to do, to say the least
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

More so for me since I usually draw males. ;D
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

This is one instance where my method...is not recommended xD ...Lest you want some guys to look at you like  :|
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Hurr I look at people's crotches all the time xD.  Then I comment on how nice their S curve is just to be extra creepy <3.

I shall study more folds from life then <3.  Thank you Sonoci and Soreiyu \^3^/

For basic cloth study I've been pinning a piece of cloth on a cork board.  First with 1 pin, then with 2, then half on the table half hanging up, then a cloth on a round ball (like an orange).

...then I go stare at people's crotches some more *w*
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

You're welcome \o/ And also
kirite wrote: For basic cloth study I've been pinning a piece of cloth on a cork board.  First with 1 pin, then with 2, then half on the table half hanging up, then a cloth on a round ball (like an orange).

...then I go stare at people's crotches some more *w*

This may be the best quote I've ever seen. With your permission, may I sig this? ~<3
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

haha That made me laugh slightly IRL.

Anyways, I think Kirite should link to each individual tutorial in post 1. That way it'll be easier for anyone who doesn't want to search through comments.
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Hahah you know you're free to sig anything I say sonoci-chan <33

I shall do that linking at the first post then~ I shall probably link to individual advice done by other people as well.  Caught a virus a few days ago, don't want to upload anything at the moment :S.
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

kirite wrote: Hahah you know you're free to sig anything I say sonoci-chan <33
\o/
kirite wrote: Caught a virus a few days ago, don't want to upload anything at the moment :S.
...What's the opposite of '\o/' to fit with this information? D: