Kirite's tutorials

Forum reserved for any fan-fiction, fan-art, AMVs or the like that you feel the need to post.
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Kirite's tutorials

Post by kirite »

It feels kinda weird for me to have this on DCW and not here since people draw in both forums.  So here's some copy pasta om nom nom.

Tutorial 1.  A way of copying a drawing accurately.

This tutorial will cover basic measuring, point to point drawing and plumb lines. 

NOTE:  This is mucheasier to do with pencil and paper.  I'm only doing it on computer because I have no scanner.  No matter what you're using please look up tutorials to how to measure with your pencil.  Such as this on http://www.ehow.com/how_5511040_use-pen ... awing.html

Also I would recommend drawing something easier then this at the beginning.  Haibara is kinda complicated xD.  Try drawing a box or something~ Don't expect to get it perfect the first time, this is very difficult skill to learn!!!

Let's say I want to copy the drawing of Haibara in this picture.  (note: try to get your hands on a bigger reference picture when you try this on your own) 

Now some of you might just start at the eyes or the hair, then kinda guess the rest of the way.  But there is actually a more accurate (but slower and more tedious) way of copying pictures.  You don't have to follow all the steps exactly, just using 1 measuring skill might already improve your drawing!

Tip:  A way to get really accurate drawing is to flip the Haibara picture upside down and copy it upside down.  That way you will draw what you actually see and not what you think you see.  I won't do that here though because I'm afraid it will confuse people looking at this tutorial lol.

First you want to figure out how Haibara fits in the picture.   
Haibara's chin is in the center of the pic.  Her hair is close to the edge.  Her eyes are slanted, the top of 1 eye is the middle of the second one. 

Lightly sketch these straight lines on your paper. Note that it's very important that these lines are STRAIGHT, they're crooked in my example because I fail at drawing on computer otz.  These lines are called "plumb lines".  They're a way to measure objects~
Now we want to find the exact location of where everything is located.  We're going to do that by lightly making marks/dots at important points and drawing a straight line through the dots.  This type of drawing is called "point to point drawing".  We find the points by using those plumb lines I was talking about.  Measuring with your pencil is important here! 
The chin is around 1/6 the way up the picture, the cheek is around 2/6 the way across and the top of the head is around 1/4 the way across, etc...  Of course this is all guessing ^^, try to get it close but it doesn't have to be perfect.  We can always fix it later! 
When your relatively comfortable with were the points are you can lightly put a STRAIGHT line through the points.  We're just mapping out where everything is right now, so don't obsess over details.  You can lightly curve the lines using multiple straight lines.  That will make sure the curve is accurate.
So continue lightly putting dots in places you're not sure where things go.  And lightly putting a line through it.  You can use the points to get other points.  For example some points are on the same horizontal as another point.  You can also use your pencil to measure the angle of one point to another.
Note that I don't really put many points when I'm doing the hair.  It's because I like to take liberties with the hair (it won't make her completely unrecognizable). However points such as the face and main spikey for the hair I will try to get as accurate as possible.  If you're trying to get it "perfect" then you'll have to make points at the hair as well ^^.
Here's this step finished. Note that I didn't follow my plumb lines exactly, they're not very accurate since they're not straight.  When you do this step I would recommend looking at the pictures upside down to make sure things are accurate!

Now pushing a little bit harder with your pencil, you're going to "draw" Haibara.  It should be a bit easier now that you measure out where everything is!  If you made mistakes on your measurement, it will be very apparent here.  If that's the case go back and remeasure the things you think you didn't get right.
Erase the light pencil lines and you're finished!

Note that my copy isn't perfect at all xD haha.  I still need to work on this.  The face is really off haha.

Anyways here's my tutorial, I hope you learned a little bit.

- kirite <3
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Holmes
Erabareshi Kodomotachi

Re: Kirite's tutorials

Post by Holmes »

Wow, thanks a lot kirite! I´ll try this for my next drawing and see the results :D And to improve my drawing skills :)

Hey kirite, would you mind if make this thread sort of place to discuss, put and learn new methods? For everyone and from everyone. Please, I don´t mean to be disrespectful, it´s just an idea :)
Last edited by kirite on June 14th, 2011, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My drawings thread :) Holmes´Drawings

*Amazing banner done by KaitoGirl, thank you very much! :D*
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

No disrespect at all. :)

For me I offered to do draw overs and give advice in my other thread so I'll be happy to do it here.  As for discussing new methods and art I think the whole fanworks section is open to that sort of thing <3.  I'll be find if you post thing of that nature here <3.
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
xpon
Community Sepll Chkecer
Spreading the cuteness, all over DCTP

Post by xpon »

can you add tutorial on how to color manga too? please

and that is nice!!!!
xpon is so cute...
Image                         Image
Even Ayumi~chan and Sera~chan love to hug him.....
Thanks to sonoci & Yuri
ranger
Community Villain

Post by ranger »

when kirite gets lemons in life, she gets angry! she gets mad! yeah!

Good job :)
KainTheVampire
*the Devil disguised as a mad vampire* >:D

Post by KainTheVampire »

\o/
Conclusion: "This area is full of crap" and "It's a nasty place!"

Drawn by yours truly
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

Om nom non *eats kirite's tutorial*
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

@ranger: When life give me lemons?  I BURN LIFE'S HOUSE DOWN, WITH THE LEMONS.  Now why don't we all have some cake made of moon rocks in spaceeeeee?

Anyways here's a tutorial I posted on "Holmes study" forum back in the old days (get off my lawn you crazy kids!):

How to separate lineart from background in photoshop:

Please note: This tutorial is based on the drawing program adobe photoshop.  However I'm sure other programs can do it too.  There are also many ways of doing this, this is just the way I've always done it (I'm sure this is outdated but please bare with me orz).

1.  Open image.  Make sure it's relatively clean.  (If needed I'll post a small tutorial on how to clean lineart, but for now I'm guessing you guys will get a clean image or know how to clean images).

2.  Go to Image> Mode and make sure the image is in "RGB colour"  (note that Image is right beside File and Edit on the top of the program window)

3.  Go to Window>CHANNELS to open the CHANNELS window.  You'll see 4 layers in the channels window.  RGB, Red, Green, and Blue.

4.  Duplicate the Blue layer.  You can do this one of two ways:

a)  Grab the blue layer with your mouse and drag it to the "new" square  It's the box thingy beside the garbage can.

b)  Right click on the blue layer and select "duplicate channel"

5.  Now you'll have the layer "Blue copy".  Make sure it's selected (highlighted in blue) and has an eye thingy in the box beside it.  Now press "CTRL-I"  (apple logo key- I on mac) to invert the layer.   You can see what that layer is suppose to look like on my final image below.

6.  Now press the "Load channel as selection" also know as the "broken line circle thingy" beside the mask button.   You should now have a selection of all the black lines in the image.

7.  Now go to your LAYERS window and create a new layer.  You can chose to make the bottom layer invisible now if you wish.

8.  Now fill the image with Black (or whatever colour you wish) with the paint bucket tool.  And we're done!

Now that your black lines are seperated from the background, you can paint the lines itself (selecting the lines by pressing ctrl or making a layer on top and pressing alt in between the layers), you can paint under it to make skin tone, you can do a different background....whatever you please.  

If you don't understand a step feel free to ask.  I hope you understand this.

-kirite <3

Kurunouma

Post by Kurunouma »

wow! thanks, it helps a lot for me and my sister, she also said "Thank you" for this! looking forward for another tutorial of yours ;D
"I heard a voice telling me to live, embracing the loss. It's the curse that we humans must bear."

-Even if I'm away, DCTP will always stay in my heart-

cute gifts from PT
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

The dot thing reminds me a bit of Hexagreat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vygFabxMZX8
kate_49

Post by kate_49 »

Thank you for this kirite!!! :D When I draw, I start at eyes. Now I have a new way to do so. Thank you!
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

kate_49 wrote: Thank you for this kirite!!! :D When I draw, I start at eyes. Now I have a new way to do so. Thank you!
When drawing it's better to start with guidelines like a circle and positioning lines. This tutorial is better for copying or tracing. It's helpful, but you won't learn how to draw from it.
kate_49

Post by kate_49 »

Soreiyu wrote:
kate_49 wrote: Thank you for this kirite!!! :D When I draw, I start at eyes. Now I have a new way to do so. Thank you!
When drawing it's better to start with guidelines like a circle and positioning lines. This tutorial is better for copying or tracing. It's helpful, but you won't learn how to draw from it.
Is that so? But the thing is, my drawings look horrible when I draw guidelines. :-X Still... This tutorial has given me an idea.
Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

kate_49 wrote:
Is that so? But the thing is, my drawings look horrible when I draw guidelines. :-X Still... This tutorial has given me an idea.
You can PM me an example of your guidelines. I can try to help you. I don't think it would be right for me to hijack this thread.
kirite
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

Soreiyu wrote:
kate_49 wrote:
You can PM me an example of your guidelines. I can try to help you. I don't think it would be right for me to hijack this thread.
Nooooo feel free to hijack I want to learn too ;A;

Or create your own tutorial thread, I'll love you forever <33333