https://www.youtube.com/embed/APxQW8dFBSUToday is the day that DCTP is finally able to release an English translation for the seminal Conan game—Detective Conan & Kindaichi Case Files: Chance Encounter of 2 Great Detectives. This will also be the final release that DCTP will make, so we hope that it will be one that meets your expectations and will be a suitable ending to our efforts here.
This project required hundreds of hours of work between translating the game's script—which easily amounts to the sum of all nineteen Conan movies released to date combined—and the technical aspects of such an undertaking. On top of the considerable hacking required to make this project even remotely feasible, we have also spent a great deal of time editing all of the scripts and graphics to make the experience as complete as possible for prospective players.
It is without any reservation and with complete confidence that we can say this has been the most difficult and time-consuming project we have ever been involved with. Likewise, it has also been the most rewarding, and we hope that you will enjoy the roughly 40 hours of gameplay you will inevitably get out of it should you choose to play and complete it.
Foremost, though, we are thankful to everyone for being patient with us as we've worked on bringing this game to English when it otherwise never would have made that transition. We consider this game to be a very worthy addition to the Conan catalogue, with its intriguing story that rivals many of the series' movies (if not most of them) and its excellent crossover narrative.
In closing, you may consider this DCTP's goodbye to a very deserving and extremely supportive community—please enjoy the game and thank you for the many, many years of support!PLEASE NOTE: We have done our best to ensure the game is completable and free of bugs. However, if a gamebreaking glitch is discovered, we will promptly attempt to fix the issue and release an updated version of the game. We make no guarantees that this will not be the case and request your patience should such a bug be found. Please report any major, gamebreaking issues in this topic.
Detective Conan & Kindaichi Case Files on NDS — COMPLETE ENGLISH PATCHNOTE: This is only the English patch. You cannot play the game with only this patch. Please continue reading below to obtain the rest of the materials needed to play.Download on MEDIAFIREDOWNLOAD on MEGAHow to Play in English on your PCREQUISITES
To play the game in English, you will need to acquire 1)
an original Japanese copy of the game, 2)
the DCTP patch file to translate the game to English, 3)
a patching program, and 4)
an emulator. This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step. Ultimately, you will only need a PC, Mac, or DS with a flash card to play the game.
HOW TO PATCH THE GAMEThe guide below is intended for those completely unfamiliar with patching and emulation. If you are already familiar, you should be able to skip most of this. To ensure no one is left confused, however, every step is highlighted in detail.
- 1) Original Japanese ROM of the Game
For legal reasons, we cannot provide a link to the Japanese ROM file of the game. You can find a copy of the ROM on most sites that host such content, and of course are free to search for it yourself on Google.
- 2) DCTP Patch File
This is the DCTP patch file that will convert the original Japanese version of the game into our fully English-translated version. You can download the patch from the dedicated page here.
- 3) XDELTA
This program is used for patching the original Japanese game into English with our patch file. You can download XDELTA from here.
- 4) DeSmuME
This program is a Nintendo DS emulator that will allow you to play the patched game. It has been confirmed to work for the entire game without any issues whatsoever. You can download it here by choosing the top link if you are on Windows or the second link if you are on Mac.
1) Relocate the four files you downloaded above into a dedicated folder.
2) Select all four files and right click; then click "extract here" to extract all of the files together. NOTE: If you somehow do not have WinRAR currently installed, you can download and install it from here.
3) You should then have all of the files shown below. NOTE: You are of course now free to delete the four archive files used to extract the files.
4) Open the executable file
to get to this window:
5) Next, choose the "Open..." button under the "Patch" section as shown below:
6) Here, choose the .xdelta patch file we have provided and choose "Open" at the bottom:
7) Next, choose the "Open..." button under the "Source File" section as shown below:
8) Here, choose the .nds
game file (not
the .RAR) you downloaded elsewhere and choose "Open" at the bottom:
9) Next, choose the "Open..." button under the "Output File" section as shown below:
10) Here, type in a filename for the patched game file but MAKE SURE that the filename includes .nds
at the end, such as "ConanKindaichiPatched.nds" as shown below:
11) You will then have all of the parameters set and need to click "Patch" at the bottom as shown below:
12) If the operation was a success, you will see the dialog box below:
13) You can now close
and return to the main folder. There you will now find the patched file
amongst the others:
14) To now play the game, open the emulator
to prepare to play the game:
15) Choose "File" at the top of the program, and then "Open ROM...". You will then need to locate "ConanKindaichiPatched.nds
" and open it. The "Open ROM..." option defaults to a newly created "Roms" folder when you open the program (which will not contain your patched game yet). If for some reason you cannot locate your patched game, you can simply drag-and-drop "ConanKindaichiPatched.nds
" onto the emulator window after closing the "Open ROM..." dialogue.
16) Enjoy!SPECIAL NOTES FOR PC PLAYERSMost of the game is controlled by touch or using your mouse. Later in the game, you will need to control Conan on his skateboard. The default keyboard controls for this are the Z, X, A, and S keys for the B, A, Y, and X buttons, respectively. The keyboard's arrow keys control the skateboard's movement. These keys, as well as all others, can be changed in the emulator's "Control Config" located under the "Config" tab at the top of the program.
Because of the small screen size of a Nintendo DS, most players will wish to change the screen size for more comfortable viewing on a PC. To do so with uniform scaling, select "View" at the top of the program and then hover over "Window Size" and choose an option such as "2x". You may also maximize the window as with most other programs.
How to Play in English on your DS
If you intend to play the game on your Nintendo DS system, we presume you are already familiar with much of what is demonstrated above. Once you have your patched ROM file, it may be added to your flash card as with any other game. The game is fully compatible with flash card play as far as we know. If you wish to play on a Nintendo DS system but are unfamiliar with flash cards, we can only suggest using Google as we can offer no further support on the matter.