Discussion Thread: Detective Conan Files 859-861

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Credit to Cider

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Cider seems to have pinned the middle brother's phone as a Samsung galaxy ace 3.

https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress ... .jpg?w=942
Spoiler:

Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan Files 859-861

Akai Shuuichi wrote: If the brother knows Conan identity, don't u find this PS as an indirect question to Sera as "Do u know he's the wizard?". Because think about it, if he knew Shinchi shrunk, he wouldn't ask her sister if she met him since the answer would logically be no, but maybe the brother wanted to see if Sera also had the same thoughts as himself so he asks her about it, maybe to assure his thoughts as well.
Edit. That's if we consider shinichi is indeed the wizard.
Yes, I think that line of thought makes sense.

Right now though, I wonder if the brother is a new character who will come out in person at or in prep for chapter 900. We are only 12 cases at most away from the 20th-anniversary-of-DC BO clash after all, which Gosho said he wanted to make awesome. (Dunno if Gosho is going to follow through, but it's worth mentioning.)
Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on June 25th, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dcfan01
That's how it is

Post by dcfan01 »

There's something that I don't understand though..
the messages between Sera and her brother in this last 3 files are these:

1)Sera: "It seems like he's also arrived at the truth... But whether or not our deductions are the same - lately i've been losing confidence in that regard."

2)Brother: "Who is he?"

3)Sera: "[Photo of conan] this is him! Are you surprised?"

4)Brother: "If it's him, there's no problem"

5)Brother: "[...] P.S. Have you met the wizard?"

6)Sera(to herself): "you could say so"

From message #1, we get that the brother knows about the existance of another guy with whom Sera has been comparing deductions (at least one sidedly).
In that context, the second message can only be explained as a product of concern and curiosity about the guy who made her sister lose confidence in her deductions. (The brother already knew of the existance of this new guy, but he only became interested when her sister started to lose confidence, hence the "who is he?")
Sera feels the concern in that message, so she is forced to take a picture of conan, to ease that brotherly feeling of protection. "This is him! are you surprised?" (you're worrying about a little child)
To her surprise, the 4th message "If it's him, there's no problem" implies that there's no problem not because he is a child, but because he is THAT PERSON.
Until there, everything makes sense.. but for the 5th message to make sense, Sera's brother HAS to be referring to someone else, other than conan.. (that could be Shinichi, or an entire diferent person.)
But judging from Sera's response, he is referring to Shinichi.
Now, if her brother is as smart as we think, and if he really cares about her sister, and if he really knows about shinichi, I assume that he would be able to tell that Shinichi didn't shrink and change names on his own free will.. plus he is hiding his identity from his closest friends, he must have a reason for that too. I would assume that knowing his true identity is a risk, and I would try to keep my sister away from such danger.. at least until I know what really is going on..
Akai Shuuichi

Post by Akai Shuuichi »

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote: Yes, I think that line of thought makes sense.

Right now though, I wonder if the brother is a new/minor charter who will come out in force at or in prep for chapter 900. We are only 12 cases at most away from the 20th anniversary BO arc after all, which Gosho said he wanted to make huge and awesome. (Dunno if Gosho is going to follow through, but it's worth mentioning.)
Really? That's one interesting piece of information I didn't know about. Well then I'm really looking forward to it. If its a new major arc, I'd say it'd be a flashback of how Sera and Shinichi met in the past, and her brother introduction. Or, a new BO arc, or an arc that relates Sera's brother to the BO. Anyways, I can't wait till then, and ofc, we all hope Gosho goes through with what he said!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

dcfan01 wrote:
Spoiler: collapsed for length
There's something that I don't understand though..
the messages between Sera and her brother in this last 3 files are these:

1)Sera: "It seems like he's also arrived at the truth... But whether or not our deductions are the same - lately i've been losing confidence in that regard."

2)Brother: "Who is he?"

3)Sera: "[Photo of conan] this is him! Are you surprised?"

4)Brother: "If it's him, there's no problem"

5)Brother: "[...] P.S. Have you met the wizard?"

6)Sera(to herself): "you could say so"

From message #1, we get that the brother knows about the existance of another guy with whom Sera has been comparing deductions (at least one sidedly).
In that context, the second message can only be explained as a product of concern and curiosity about the guy who made her sister lose confidence in her deductions. (The brother already knew of the existance of this new guy, but he only became interested when her sister started to lose confidence, hence the "who is he?")
Sera feels the concern in that message, so she is forced to take a picture of conan, to ease that brotherly feeling of protection. "This is him! are you surprised?" (you're worrying about a little child)
To her surprise, the 4th message "If it's him, there's no problem" implies that there's no problem not because he is a child, but because he is THAT PERSON.
Until there, everything makes sense.. but for the 5th message to make sense, Sera's brother HAS to be referring to someone else, other than conan.. (that could be Shinichi, or an entire diferent person.)
But judging from Sera's response, he is referring to Shinichi.
Now, if her brother is as smart as we think, and if he really cares about her sister, and if he really knows about shinichi, I assume that he would be able to tell that Shinichi didn't shrink and change names on his own free will.. plus he is hiding his identity from his closest friends, he must have a reason for that too. I would assume that knowing his true identity is a risk, and I would try to keep my sister away from such danger.. at least until I know what really is going on..
I think your issue is resolved if Sera sends a text message in between bro's #4 and #5 we didn't see her typing.

4.5) Sera: How do you know the kid? (Remember she knows Conan is Shinichi from the context of the things she said, and Conan didn't exist long before. That explains her surprise at the brother knowing Conan.)

5) Brother[Explains how he knows Conan] P.S. Have you met the wizard?"

The PS naturally follows because we have two similar detectives and the brother was reminded of Sera's Wizard (or he was testing her to see if she figured out Shinichi is Conan, but that's a different theory)
Akai Shuuichi wrote: Really? That's one interesting piece of information I didn't know about. Well then I'm really looking forward to it. If its a new major arc, I'd say it'd be a flashback of how Sera and Shinichi met in the past, and her brother introduction. Or, a new BO arc, or an arc that relates Sera's brother to the BO. Anyways, I can't wait till then, and ofc, we all hope Gosho goes through with what he said!
I edited my post after you posted. Multiples of 100 tend to involve a BO clash somehow. Gosho said he wanted this 00 case be a big one. That doesn't meant there will be a new arc. We may very well continue Bourbon's arc for longer.
Akai Shuuichi

Post by Akai Shuuichi »

Just a theory.
What if the "Magician/Wizard" Sera's brother was talking about was referring to their presumably dead brother Akai. That'd explain why he used that term, since what Akai did(a fake death scenario)is close to being Magic, something so improbable, and if that's the case then we can assume that after Sera's first meeting with Okiya she suspected something since she glared at him for a while, and after she investigated, she somehow surmised that Okiya is indeed her brother. And she avoided directly confronting him since she wasn't fully sure, and taking into consideration that Sera's 2nd brother is smart, he might as well has figured out that Akai is alive. And so, Sera's answer as 'you could say so' would also make since as she hadn't really see Akai, but she has seen Subaru. The only thing that bothers me in this is Sera's reaction after she saw her brother talking about the Wizard, if he was really Akai she would have had a more serious face on, other than that I don't find any other reason that proves this theory wrong. Anyway, its just an assumption, no evidence at all.
Edit. Another "flaw" I assume is based on Sera's personality, I can see here confronting Okiya even if she doesn't have any evidence it's unlikely for her to remain calm after that deduction. Its still just a thoery.
Last edited by Akai Shuuichi on June 28th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

maybe I'm the only one, but when I read "have you met the wizard", I took it as a Wizard of Oz reference, as in, "have you noticed the man behind the curtain?", with Sera basically confirming that she knows Conan is the real Sleeping Kogoro. :x
Akai Shuuichi

Post by Akai Shuuichi »

She would've replied saying "yes" rather than "you can say so". I guess.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I'm still not buying Sera has a second brother. It's just the same for Ran's Kinichi. Akai might have told Sera to keep quiet about his existence.But Sera still doesn't know that Okiya is her brother indisguise, because he won't tell her where he is. The details regarding the 'middle brother' perfectly describes Okiya, such as being smart, being able to know Conan, and having the black smartphone. It's not very conclusive though, but less complicated to think about.
angelaspinks

Post by angelaspinks »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been following your discussions for a while. I just reread these files and noticed something.
Spoiler:
Is it just me or is Yamamura's behavior somewhat suspicious?

1. He did not seem to recognize Kyogoku despite meeting him in the handkerchief case (as noted by Conan).

2. Even Mouri, knowing Yamamura's character, expressed surprise about him, "Are you feeling unwell? You sound so formal all of a sudden. You were usually casual all the times." Yamamura explained that it was for preserving his dignity as an inspector. Wasn't he promoted to an inspector quite a while ago? Why was it only now that he talked formally?
And
Spoiler:

3. Although Yamamura dropping his pen was used as a hint for the case, it also reminds me of Akai dropping his coke can due to his fingers being slippery from glue-coating.

Gosho has made extensive use of disguise and identity switch for keeping the nature and roles of in-the-dark characters ambiguous. I'm wondering, what if this Yamamura is another Araide, another Scar Akai, who turned out they were not what they looked like? Like Yamamura, Araide and Scar Akai were the faces we least expected to see in the BO team (at the moment they were used as disguises).

Just a speculation. Maybe I'm paranoid and these observations of Yamamura's awkwardness are just random demonstrations of his clumsiness and silliness. But I'll look out for other possible hints of the guy's unusual behaviors.
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

I think Yamamura is just an idiot. Or rather I would want him being just an idiot :).
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

angelaspinks wrote:Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been following your discussions for a while. I just reread these files and noticed something.
Spoiler:
Is it just me or is Yamamura's behavior somewhat suspicious?

1. He did not seem to recognize Kyogoku despite meeting him in the handkerchief case (as noted by Conan).

2. Even Mouri, knowing Yamamura's character, expressed surprise about him, "Are you feeling unwell? You sound so formal all of a sudden. You were usually casual all the times." Yamamura explained that it was for preserving his dignity as an inspector. Wasn't he promoted to an inspector quite a while ago? Why was it only now that he talked formally?
And
Spoiler:

3. Although Yamamura dropping his pen was used as a hint for the case, it also reminds me of Akai dropping his coke can due to his fingers being slippery from glue-coating.

Gosho has made extensive use of disguise and identity switch for keeping the nature and roles of in-the-dark characters ambiguous. I'm wondering, what if this Yamamura is another Araide, another Scar Akai, who turned out they were not what they looked like? Like Yamamura, Araide and Scar Akai were the faces we least expected to see in the BO team (at the moment they were used as disguises).

Just a speculation. Maybe I'm paranoid and these observations of Yamamura's awkwardness are just random demonstrations of his clumsiness and silliness. But I'll look out for other possible hints of the guy's unusual behaviors.
He's a comic relief character for the most part... I can't really imagine that meaning anything. It just seems funny because he acts serious while forgetting about Makoto at the same time. I doubt anyone would actually even bother disguising as him and doing his work.
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

I can be considered new as I have been following dctp for about 2 years so I wasn't here during this discussion...I thought that I am really wierd suspecting such a character but I kinda feel relieved that I am not the only one here who suspected yamamura and not just from this case
I believe the idea that he is just an idiot but on the other hand why would gosho choose such a dump character like him to be in gunma which is believed to be related in way or another to the boss...conan got idea of the boss' email adress thanks to yamamura ... he is the only one in the whole series except for those who know conan's true identity who knows that canon is yukiko's son and he is totally aware of it and his tongue was going to slip about it anyway but conan stopped him .... He appears totally idiot and lacks power in body and mind but he is a police officer and was able to get promoted ... most of his cases are well made and important and as it appears he says a completely useless things or makes useless actions leading to solving the case ... maybe he is acting and he is actually smart !!! I don't believe in this too much as he is a complete idiot most of the time but I am convinced that someday this character is going to play a major role in a way or another
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

ATEM wrote:I can be considered new as I have been following dctp for about 2 years so I wasn't here during this discussion...I thought that I am really wierd suspecting such a character but I kinda feel relieved that I am not the only one here who suspected yamamura and not just from this case
I believe the idea that he is just an idiot but on the other hand why would gosho choose such a dump character like him to be in gunma which is believed to be related in way or another to the boss...conan got idea of the boss' email adress thanks to yamamura ... he is the only one in the whole series except for those who know conan's true identity who knows that canon is yukiko's son and he is totally aware of it and his tongue was going to slip about it anyway but conan stopped him .... He appears totally idiot and lacks power in body and mind but he is a police officer and was able to get promoted ... most of his cases are well made and important and as it appears he says a completely useless things or makes useless actions leading to solving the case ... maybe he is acting and he is actually smart !!! I don't believe in this too much as he is a complete idiot most of the time but I am convinced that someday this character is going to play a major role in a way or another
I'm pretty sure that you're mistaking Gunma for Tottori. Conan got the idea about the number of the boss because Yamamura dialed the area code for Tottori, true, but that's about it. And Gosho said in an interview that the BO has nothing to do with Tottori.
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

Serinox wrote:
ATEM wrote:I can be considered new as I have been following dctp for about 2 years so I wasn't here during this discussion...I thought that I am really wierd suspecting such a character but I kinda feel relieved that I am not the only one here who suspected yamamura and not just from this case
I'm pretty sure that you're mistaking Gunma for Tottori. Conan got the idea about the number of the boss because Yamamura dialed the area code for Tottori, true, but that's about it. And Gosho said in an interview that the BO has nothing to do with Tottori.
Sorry I am totally sleepy during writing this so I made such a mistake :D and I have never tried to arrange my thoughts about him but I still think he has a special role ... maybe he is going to tell ran that conan is that actor's son so we will eventually benefit of him ;D ;D