Anokata theory: The boss may be...

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Anokata theory: The boss may be...

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

thriceplus wrote:
Uchiha Shadow wrote:Well.................... I called it.
Spoiler:
Eh, I think this is a red herring. We've seen too much of Gosho to know that he never reveals his cards early and always has us chasing red herring suspects (remember Jodie or Okiya?) early on. I personally don't think we'll know the boss's true identity before we know Rum's.
Spoiler:
I agree that this is a misdirect—Renya is not the current boss of the BO.

But given that Yusaku's the one giving out this info, and the fact that he and Yukiko are sticking around (to say nothing of Gosho's second medical-issue-based break in 2-3 years), the Karasuma family is, in all probability, the family behind the BO (or, at least, is heavily involved with the BO).

Yeah, we'll find out Rum's ID first, but the BO boss could very well be a member of the Karasuma family. In fact, Rum is more likely to be a Karasuma family member, since "Carasuma" came from the dying message of Koji, who was killed by Rum.

But, again, for all we know, this could be Gosho's way of shaking things up as he transitions into making less files/cases per year, due to health issues,
and it'll turn out that this is a total misdirect, and that the Karasuma family has nothing to do with the BO. Even if this is the case, though, I hope this really is the beginning of the end for DC (When it'll end, though? Too early to say).
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Eh, I think this is a red herring. We've seen too much of Gosho to know that he never reveals his cards early and always has us chasing red herring suspects (remember Jodie or Okiya?) early on. I personally don't think we'll know the boss's true identity before we know Rum's.
Spoiler:

But given that Yusaku's the one giving out this info, and the fact that he and Yukiko are sticking around (to say nothing of Gosho's second medical-issue-based break in 2-3 years), the Karasuma family is, in all probability, the family behind the BO (or, at least, is heavily involved with the BO).

Yeah, we'll find out Rum's ID first, but the BO boss could very well be a member of the Karasuma family. In fact, Rum is more likely to be a Karasuma family member, since "Carasuma" came from the dying message of Koji, who was killed by Rum.

But, again, for all we know, this could be Gosho's way of shaking things up as he transitions into making less files/cases per year, due to health issues,
and it'll turn out that this is a total misdirect, and that the Karasuma family has nothing to do with the BO. Even if this is the case, though, I hope this really is the beginning of the end for DC (When it'll end, though? Too early to say).
Spoiler:
I can see it being that he was the original founder of the organization but not the current boss(would be a cool twist), but there really is no better suspect, from a writing standpoint, if I was Gosho I wouldn't make the Boss be just some random character from a random case that nobody would ever remember, you need the shock factor to be a thing, and while Renya is a minor character who was barely mentioned in the background,
he's very memorable. Until I see a better suspect I'm going to stick to this. Also I'm pretty sure this is the first time Gosho straight up makes a statement at the end rather than a question(like, if he was trying to mislead us, he would've said something like "Is this really the identity of Boss?!"). I think Karasuma being the Boss, or at least being very related to the BO makes the most sense due to other hints I've discussed before, just my opinion though.
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I can see it being that he was the original founder of the organization but not the current boss(would be a cool twist), but there really is no better suspect, from a writing standpoint, if I was Gosho I wouldn't make the Boss be just some random character from a random case that nobody would ever remember, you need the shock factor to be a thing, and while Renya is a minor character who was barely mentioned in the background,
he's very memorable. Until I see a better suspect I'm going to stick to this. Also I'm pretty sure this is the first time Gosho straight up makes a statement at the end rather than a question(like, if he was trying to mislead us, he would've said something like "Is this really the identity of Boss?!"). I think Karasuma being the Boss, or at least being very related to the BO makes the most sense due to other hints I've discussed before, just my opinion though.
Spoiler:
actually i'm the one from few people who support karasuma as the boss theory (as a proof you can see my anagram code in my signature especially the last line and my post about the Asaca rum code). But somehow this is the first time i feel uncertain about that with the same reason as @uchiha shadow and because i thought we will know about the real name of the organization at first before the identity of the boss.
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Themaninarmor wrote:
Spoiler:
actually i'm the one from few people who support karasuma as the boss theory (as a proof you can see my anagram code in my signature especially the last line and my post about the Asaca rum code). But somehow this is the first time i feel uncertain about that with the same reason as @uchiha shadow and because i thought we will know about the real name of the organization at first before the identity of the boss.
Spoiler:
Definitely thought that the BO's name will be revealed first, and that would be what leads us to guess his identity.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's just too early. We haven't even confronted Rum yet. Knowing the boss's identity this early now is like learning Bourbon's identity by chapter 620 except even worse since knowing the boss's identity is much more important than some random dude named Bourbon. However, I will give the possibility that either

1. like DCUniverseAficionado said, Renya is the original boss, but not the current one.
2. Renya is under disguise as a different character (so it'll be like Vermouth's arc)

All the talk of accepting Renya as the boss is extremely similar to all the talk of just accepting Jodie as Vermouth, accepting Okiya as Bourbon or hell even now with people just saying that the teacher is Rum because of the APTX list. If you guys were around the DC fandom (especially the Jodie=Vermouth phase where a lot of people didn't even question it) back in the days, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's either a huge red herring or there's a big twist to it somewhere (like Renya under disguise as another character because he drank APTX or something).
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

thriceplus wrote:
Uchiha Shadow wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's just too early. We haven't even confronted Rum yet. Knowing the boss's identity this early now is like learning Bourbon's identity by chapter 620 except even worse since knowing the boss's identity is much more important than some random dude named Bourbon. However, I will give the possibility that either

1. like DCUniverseAficionado said, Renya is the original boss, but not the current one.
2. Renya is under disguise as a different character (so it'll be like Vermouth's arc)

All the talk of accepting Renya as the boss is extremely similar to all the talk of just accepting Jodie as Vermouth, accepting Okiya as Bourbon or hell even now with people just saying that the teacher is Rum because of the APTX list. If you guys were around the DC fandom (especially the Jodie=Vermouth phase where a lot of people didn't even question it) back in the days, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's either a huge red herring or there's a big twist to it somewhere (like Renya under disguise as another character because he drank APTX or something).
Spoiler:
I agree that there will probably be a twist to it, in fact my original theory was exactly what you said, that he is in disguise as another character we know, due to de-aging or any other similar things. The one thing I'll say though is that if Renya is simply a red herring, I think Gosho would've at least given us clues to another person, however no matter how much I researched there is simply nothing, absolutely nothing that points to any person, and the fact that no other fan has shown any results as well tells me that there really isn't, if it's something so minor that no one could ever notice, then what's the point? Gosho can just literally pick any random case character, give him an out-of-nowhere backstory, and clear away any contradictions by simply using "he lied/faked this", but then that isn't really a mystery anymore. So again until I see a better suspect, I'm gonna keep to my theory. I'm not gonna force this down anyone else.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Spoiler:
Anyone bored enough to hype up a Boss = Maria theory? It's still pretty far fetched but not completely out there after the latest chapter.

Some "evidence":
- Especially for people who believe the boss is shrunk like Conan, I would say Maria's the most likely out of the recurring characters. Way too insane for any of the DB characters and I don't think any of Conan's other classmates have gotten much screentime.
- She's a transfer student like Haibara and transfer students are naturally suspicious. She could have transferred in to keep tabs on Conan or Haibara.
- The timing of her appearance in between 1005 and 1008 is pretty suspicious, especially since she initially invited Conan (this coincides with the recent Shinichi's revival uproar so she could have ulterior motives).

That's all I got. Like I said, it's still far fetched, but it's possible, especially if you are a subscriber to the shrunken boss theory.
Valentin

Post by Valentin »

thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyone bored enough to hype up a Boss = Maria theory? It's still pretty far fetched but not completely out there after the latest chapter.

Some "evidence":
- Especially for people who believe the boss is shrunk like Conan, I would say Maria's the most likely out of the recurring characters. Way too insane for any of the DB characters and I don't think any of Conan's other classmates have gotten much screentime.
- She's a transfer student like Haibara and transfer students are naturally suspicious. She could have transferred in to keep tabs on Conan or Haibara.
- The timing of her appearance in between 1005 and 1008 is pretty suspicious, especially since she initially invited Conan (this coincides with the recent Shinichi's revival uproar so she could have ulterior motives).

That's all I got. Like I said, it's still far fetched, but it's possible, especially if you are a subscriber to the shrunken boss theory.
Spoiler:
Alright, let’s have some fun! Here come another three pieces of unshakable evidence:
  • (1) Maria Higashio can’t be Renya Karasuma because she’s female? No problem! Whatever shrinking drug the boss might have taken, it didn’t need to contain a sex-changing effect. By all appearances, the name Renya has also been given to females, albeit not as frequently as it has been given to males, and preferentially with other characters like as the second component rather than the in question. There is, however, at least one site that lists 蓮耶 as a viable option for girls. If these data are reliable? I have no idea. In view of the present background story, though, it’s possible that we’re looking at some archaic variant whose popularity and usage have long vanished and which is therefore only going to be detectable in more specific sources as a phenomenon of older times. Since it has been established that little is actually known about the individual called Renya Karasuma, it is conceivable that basal mistakes like an error about gender are involved here.
  • (2) When was Maria Higashio introduced? Right! In File 548. When did the interview where Aoyama famously discloses that Anokata’s “full name” had already been included somewhere in the manga take place? Correct! A mere three chapters later. The mention was over five years ago at that point, and the corresponding question didn’t really trigger such a statement—was he driven by the then-recent smuggling-in of that person in his her infantile shape? By the way, this case—arguably as unspectacular in its essence as the latest one—is followed by the Giant Hammer Case and the Mysterious Job Case, which both feature the Black Organization.
  • (3) When did Maria Higashio reappear? Exactly! In File 966. What was going on there? Quite! Rumi Wakasa entered the stage. As Yuusaku’s deduction is probably accurate, Kouji Haneda’s dying message should indeed be CARASUMA, potentially implying that Rumi Wakasa is aware of this as well. So how did Maria Higashio reappear?
    Precisely! After over ten and a half years (File 549 published on December 7, 2005 → File 966 published on July 13, 2016), in one single frame, the left one, which could have had a perfectly cheerful existence without her. And what happened there? Dead on! Haibara explains the reason for Rumi Wakasa’s surprising arrival: transfer students. What kind of transfer students? Transfer students like us, a correct translation of 私やあなたのような転校生 ’transfer students like me and you’, which is to say: transfer students rejuvenated by some wicked poison. Wouldn’t this be a lovely subtle and economical way to show Maria Higashio as CARASUMA No. 1 and perhaps likewise as Rumi Wakasa’s true objective in just one panel without doing so explicitly?
Let me be honest: When I started this post, I wasn’t expecting anything more than a little entertaining and curative treatment for yesterday’s atom bomb by spreading an absurd conspiracy theory. But when I start to reflect it … This is pretty scary, isn’t it?
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Alright, let’s have some fun! Here come another three pieces of unshakable evidence:
  • (1) Maria Higashio can’t be Renya Karasuma because she’s female? No problem! Whatever shrinking drug the boss might have taken, it didn’t need to contain a sex-changing effect. By all appearances, the name Renya has also been given to females, albeit not as frequently as it has been given to males, and preferentially with other characters like as the second component rather than the in question. There is, however, at least one site that lists 蓮耶 as a viable option for girls. If these data are reliable? I have no idea. In view of the present background story, though, it’s possible that we’re looking at some archaic variant whose popularity and usage have long vanished and which is therefore only going to be detectable in more specific sources as a phenomenon of older times. Since it has been established that little is actually known about the individual called Renya Karasuma, it is conceivable that basal mistakes like an error about gender are involved here.
  • (2) When was Maria Higashio introduced? Right! In File 548. When did the interview where Aoyama famously discloses that Anokata’s “full name” had already been included somewhere in the manga take place? Correct! A mere three chapters later. The mention was over five years ago at that point, and the corresponding question didn’t really trigger such a statement—was he driven by the then-recent smuggling-in of that person in his her infantile shape? By the way, this case—arguably as unspectacular in its essence as the latest one—is followed by the Giant Hammer Case and the Mysterious Job Case, which both feature the Black Organization.
  • (3) When did Maria Higashio reappear? Exactly! In File 966. What was going on there? Quite! Rumi Wakasa entered the stage. As Yuusaku’s deduction is probably accurate, Kouji Haneda’s dying message should indeed be CARASUMA, potentially implying that Rumi Wakasa is aware of this as well. So how did Maria Higashio reappear?
    Precisely! After over ten and a half years (File 549 published on December 7, 2005 → File 966 published on July 13, 2016), in one single frame, the left one, which could have had a perfectly cheerful existence without her. And what happened there? Dead on! Haibara explains the reason for Rumi Wakasa’s surprising arrival: transfer students. What kind of transfer students? Transfer students like us, a correct translation of 私やあなたのような転校生 ’transfer students like me and you’, which is to say: transfer students rejuvenated by some wicked poison. Wouldn’t this be a lovely subtle and economical way to show Maria Higashio as CARASUMA No. 1 and perhaps likewise as Rumi Wakasa’s true objective in just one panel without doing so explicitly?
Let me be honest: When I started this post, I wasn’t expecting anything more than a little entertaining and curative treatment for yesterday’s atom bomb by spreading an absurd conspiracy theory. But when I start to reflect it … This is pretty scary, isn’t it?
Spoiler:
Okay, then what is the BO boss doing at Teitan Elementary? What's her plan?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Lol perfect. Just what I was looking for.
Spoiler:
Wow, that last point is really interesting. Alright, this settles it, I'm officially hopping on the Maria = Boss hype train. Choo chooo
Last edited by thriceplus on December 13th, 2017, 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Same reason that Rumi is there. Keeping tabs on Conan.
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

thriceplus wrote:
Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Same reason that Rumi is there. Keeping tabs on Conan.
:D
irishock

Post by irishock »

Vermouth has to be the Karasuma's wife, and not his blood relative if she is 100% caucasian.
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But since Renya is/was so rich, wouldn't his gender be publicly known? At least to Yusaku. He was not a poor guy that died without being noticed by anybody.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Nemomon wrote:
Valentin wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:

Some "evidence":

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But since Renya is/was so rich, wouldn't his gender be publicly known? At least to Yusaku. He was not a poor guy that died without being noticed by anybody.
Crossdressing. You know the Japanese love that kind of stuff.