Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,051-1,054

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.

Would you like us to do away with our current spoilers policy?

Poll ended at April 18th, 2020, 7:47 pm

No, keep using spoiler boxes for leaked spoilers and untranslated chapters
10%
Yes
90%

Total votes: 10
Unlucky Devil

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,051-1,05X

Post by Unlucky Devil »

Just a bit of thing I realised. Amuro displays amazing reflexes and skill in hand to hand combat. Wouldn't it be natural for Rumi to suspect him to be someone from either the BO/police. She definitely seems to fear one or the other. Plus, why is a detective with hand to hand combat skills like that presumably following her to a farm, so soon after Kuroda did this earlier?

Another thing - since all Rumi knew there was a dead body (Conan doesn't tell Haibara it was a suicide), she assumed (or knew) that the police in charge of the murder department would show up, and that was someone she didn't want to meet? Gosho seems to be trying to misdirect us towards her fearing the police, but she might actually fear someone specific instead?

This is all with the preconceived norion that Rumi is not Rum, of course. There could be alternate theories as well.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

1,054 spoiler summary, courtesy of Baka and nightbaron:
"Conan tells Haibara, 'don’t let your guard down... around Wakasa-sensei...'
It seems that Wakasa lied to the kids and told them that Amuro fainted after losing his footing on the stairs because it became dark after her hands 'accidentally' slipped from the handle of the door. Amuro seems to have bought that and thinks that that little fight was just his imagination... but then he said 'or else' after asserting to himself that it was his imagination."

Side note at the end:
"The one truth... is that RUM candidate, Wakasa Rumi, is awesome in the dark."

Also:
"Next week ZTT, Conan possibly on indefinite break."
Unlucky Devil wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm
Just a bit of thing I realised. Amuro displays amazing reflexes and skill in hand to hand combat. Wouldn't it be natural for Rumi to suspect him to be someone from either the BO/police. She definitely seems to fear one or the other. Plus, why is a detective with hand to hand combat skills like that presumably following her to a farm, so soon after Kuroda did this earlier?

Another thing - since all Rumi knew there was a dead body (Conan doesn't tell Haibara it was a suicide), she assumed (or knew) that the police in charge of the murder department would show up, and that was someone she didn't want to meet? Gosho seems to be trying to misdirect us towards her fearing the police, but she might actually fear someone specific instead?

This is all with the preconceived norion that Rumi is not Rum, of course. There could be alternate theories as well.
Or both.

Yes, this was my thought, as well.

Yes, but at this juncture, I really don't think so. Her attack on Rei/Bourbon only further serves to make her stand out amongst the Rum suspects.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,051-1,054

Post by Nemomon »

Not exactly related to the case, but I had a thought that all close people to Amuro are dead now. Elena, Date, Hiro, Hagi, Matsuda (neither of them even reached 30 yo, some of them even died while still being kids). I kinda feel sad for him.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Rumi has told us a lot about her in this spoilers.

1) That piece is very precious to her. She can't let go of it at any cost. After 17 years I don't think any traces of Kohji(fingerprint/DNA) would be on that piece, despite that it means so much to Rumi. So Rumi treasures it as a memorabilia and not a dying message.
2) Rumi recognized Amuro, her look during Amuro's introduction said it all.
3) Now, Rumi could have just took Genta with her and asked Kazami and Amuro about the piece, Amuro had no ways to tell the lie when there were two witnesses.
4) Rumi could have used subtlety instead of brute force, cause now Amuro would be more suspicious of her once he realises that the piece is missing.
5) Also a minor thing, Amuro was mentioning Kohji killer and not Rum during the case. Maybe he isn't privy to the info that Kohji was killed by Rum.

So Rumi doesn't care/rather welcomes if Amuro is suspicious of her, she also thinks Amuro has a good ground to be suspicious of her even if she didn't retrieve the piece.
No BO operative would think that another BO operative would know such internal nitty-gritty of the Kohji case which only the NPA knows as of now.
So this possibly is a hint that Rumi is aware of Rei's NPA affiliation and was possibly one of his combat trainers in NPA.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

So after this case, can we finally move away from the take that Rumi had another item in her pocket besides the shogi piece back in the tent case? (not that this has been a likely take ever since only one item was revealed back on Rumi's desk, anyway.)
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

So after this case, can we finally move away from the take that Rumi had another item in her pocket besides the shogi piece back in the tent case?
Well if You're mentioning every person who sees merits and demerits of an assumption by fact checking first and then theorises with the said fact checks then You're right.
Not everybody speculates like that........
We had Wakita=Mary-Drugger (Despite the fact that Wakita's eye issue is yet to be revealed and Wakita getting wounded to the point of nearly losing his eyesight yet doing everything fine enough to be entrusted with the mission of investigating Kogoro sounded far-fetched.)
We had Tsutomu=CIA (Despite full acknowledgements that Shuichi had to apply to FBI through green card route, thus nullifying Tsutomu=CIA=American Citizen route, but people never stopped.)
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 10:37 am
1,054 spoiler summary, courtesy of Baka and nightbaron:
"Conan tells Haibara, 'don’t let your guard down... around Wakasa-sensei...'
It seems that Wakasa lied to the kids and told them that Amuro fainted after losing his footing on the stairs because it became dark after her hands 'accidentally' slipped from the handle of the door. Amuro seems to have bought that and thinks that that little fight was just his imagination... but then he said 'or else' after asserting to himself that it was his imagination."

Side note at the end:
"The one truth... is that RUM candidate, Wakasa Rumi, is awesome in the dark."

Also:
"Next week ZTT, Conan possibly on indefinite break."
Oh great another indefinite break until the story has any further progress towards RUM's reveal. Well if Rumi is that awesome against taking down a well trained police, then she should have no problem taking down a shogi player who is untrained in combat at all.... which means the bruise on Kohji can't possibly be done by a one-shot killer (Rumi & Kuroda) unless the bruise was caused by torture... and more likely they were done by someone who is 'weak' in combat while he was struggling with the assaulter. ;D

Image not exactly related but... you get the point....
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

``bruise on Kohji can't possibly be done by a one-shot killer``

Unless Kohji was fighting back......
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 8:15 am
``bruise on Kohji can't possibly be done by a one-shot killer``

Unless Kohji was fighting back......
Hmm... yeah... if the one attacking Kohji was another shogi player like himself and not a professional fighter then he can definitely fight back yeah, but it's hard to imagine him fighting back someone whom even Amuro didn't manage to fight back and was knocked out cold in one hit...

spoiler pic here:
Spoiler:
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Hmm... yeah... if the one attacking Kohji was another shogi player like himself and not a professional fighter then he can definitely fight back yeah, but it's hard to imagine him fighting back someone whom even Amuro didn't manage to fight back and was knocked out cold in one hit...
Well someone who isn't well versed in punching/kicking/targeting the pressure points would leave such heavy bruises on Kohji in other words even a good fighter could leave such bruises if Kohji fought back (made it harder to target the points), given how it was Good-Night for Amuro without even a bruise, it surely isn't this woman.

Kohji was coughing blood,so one or two gut punches won't be that off the chart.
jason342

Post by jason342 »

Well that escalated quickly. I did not expect Amuro to get knocked out that quickly. Rumi really wanted that shogi piece back, but that will also be her downfall. Now this begs the question. Did rumi want the shogi piece back regardless of the risk of Amuro piecing things together? or did she just assume that he would not know the significance of the piece. Surely rum would be more careful in such a scenario. I honestly don't think that Rum would risk revealing the importance of the piece and it's relation to the case in front of a highly trained PBS officer.

I think amuro will very easily link someone at the scene to the Haneda koji case, when he finds the piece missing.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

jason342 wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 6:35 am
Well that escalated quickly. I did not expect Amuro to get knocked out that quickly. Rumi really wanted that shogi piece back, but that will also be her downfall. Now this begs the question. Did rumi want the shogi piece back regardless of the risk of Amuro piecing things together? or did she just assume that he would not know the significance of the piece. Surely rum would be more careful in such a scenario. I honestly don't think that Rum would risk revealing the importance of the piece and it's relation to the case in front of a highly trained PBS officer.

I think amuro will very easily link someone at the scene to the Haneda koji case, when he finds the piece missing.
And Gosho will use this to push the Rumi = Rum angle, thus directing attention away from her fellow Rum suspects.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
jason342

Post by jason342 »

May 3rd, 2020, 10:23 am
jason342 wrote:

And Gosho will use this to push the Rumi = Rum angle, thus directing attention away from her fellow Rum suspects.
Precisely. However i must say the red herring was set up in that chapter. The whole aura of the Rum entity is completely mysterious to even members of the BO. The way RUMI was portrayed in that chapter was very reminiscent of how rum operates in the BO. He/she is covered in darkness and disappears without leaving a trace....or at least in any case besides the Haneda koji case lol.

Gosho purposely chose to Give Rumi and ominous aura in that chapter, when she single handedly took out a highly capable PBS agent. Tho gosho loves to throw us off and since we know very little about Rumi and her origins it's too soon for us to assume that she couldn't have been a highly trained associate or guard of Kohji. Which reminds me. We still know very little about the physical capabilities of both Wakita and Kuroda. It's hard to compare them three, when the other two have barely had any character development. Here to hoping they are more fleshed out in the next canon chapters.
jason342

Post by jason342 »

May 3rd, 2020, 10:23 am
jason342 wrote:

Precisely. However i must say the red herring was set up in that chapter. The whole aura of the Rum entity is completely mysterious to even members of the BO. The way RUMI was portrayed in that chapter was very reminiscent of how rum operates in the BO. He/she is covered in darkness and disappears without leaving a trace....or at least in any case besides the Haneda koji case lol.

Gosho purposely chose to Give Rumi and ominous aura in that chapter, when she single handedly took out a highly capable PBS agent. Tho gosho loves to throw us off and since we know very little about Rumi and her origins it's too soon for us to assume that she couldn't have been a highly trained associate or guard of Kohji. Which reminds me. We still know very little about the physical capabilities of both Wakita and Kuroda. It's hard to compare them three, when the other two have barely had any character development. Here to hoping they are more fleshed out in the next canon chapters.
DCUniverseAficionado

jason342 wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:47 am

Yes, it's certainly possible.

Especially Kanenori.

That is the advantage of Gosho electing to continue the build-up to the big confrontation case. Indeed, here's hoping he can take advantage of this period of build-up to the big climax.