Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,022-1026

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
AgOkami

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,022-102X

Post by AgOkami »

Spoiler:
Even if Aburai expected him to fall, it's pretty weird that she keeps looking up as he's landing. What I can think of is: either something caught her attention more than the guy falling to his death (in which case it'd often be natural to tell the police), or she needed to see if a trick worked as it should so nothing pointing to her was still stuck there, or she wanted to make sure Makoto was there so she could point it out to the others if he didn't show up like he did (though he lacks motive, so that one's pretty weak).
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Spoiler:
the trick
Now the biggest question is that under what it was hidden, an answer would be under the smart-phone that was kept on the ledge.
But then it might have fallen outside, if that was the case or might have caught in the camera though.
Possibly it was the trick used by the director and it also accounts for the weird noise.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Here are text spoilers from 1,024, courtesy of Wheel of Fate and Baka, and translated by Mezoo and Mycroft:
Spoiler:
Masumi says to Ran that she meant “that thing”. Ran responds that Conan and Shinichi have appeared together once in the past. Masumi is hesitant and seems surprised that this indeed happened, to which Ran responds that it was at the School Play. And when she went the next day to his house both Conan and Shinichi were there. She looks back to Sonoko and says "Isn't that right?", and she confirms. Ran asks Masumi whether she thinks that Conan and Shinichi are the same person, but Masumi gets confused and doesn’t know what to respond. Instead Ran is telling her that she was thinking about that more than once ("think about it there should be something like magic") until the School Play happened. Ran turns around to Conan and says “You are Conan, right?” (same as in Yusaku's Cold Case), to which Masumi stays silent and Conan starts laughing.
The assistant director Odori was killed as expected and something like a butterfly was found in the pocket of his trousers.
Spoiler:
Seems to me like Ran has realized more than she's letting on, here—even though she's deflecting Masumi's suspicions, she seems to harbor them, herself.

We'll need more context, but it seems that Ran's undercurrent of suspicion about Conan Edogawa's identity is about to become more than just the long-running undercurrent it's been since her last suspicion arc (479–483/398–400). In fact, this reminds me of the period where she actually believed Conan was Shinichi (134–257/96–192). Back during that period, there were many times where we got scenes similar to the one in 1,024—where Ran would come off as more aware of the situation than was assumed.

Of course, this whole situation will likely just push things forward for each of them—Masumi likely won't be swayed to think that Shinichi isn't Conan (and if she does, Mary will likely set her straight).

Both Ran and Masumi (and Mary, and perhaps even Shūkichi) have the potential to be wild cards, with respect to the upcoming clash between the Kudōs, Shūichi, Rei/Tōru/Bourbon, the Security Bureaus and the FBI and Rum and the BO. All of the Akai family should be in on this confrontation, and it wasn't too long ago that Ran recalled the incident at the pier (429–434/345—the closest she's gotten to getting involved in the BO plot) and actually saw through Vermouth's disguise (954–957/866–867).
UPDATE:
Here are more 1,024 text spoilers, courtesy of Mycroft:
Spoiler:
"Ok, it seems that Masumi is not persuaded after the Conversation about the desperate revival Case, although that first of all she got shocked but then she seemed not Convinced at all and a bit of frustrated cuz she was sure that Shinichi and Conan are the same person
And the conclusion of this maybe direct us to a recklessness behaviour from Masumi incase Conan didn't do anything to stop her.
More excitingly the case itself Cuz Odori got poisoned and killed and although he got poisoned from his drink but there is no poison trace on the straw (the same thing happened in desperate rivival case)
More importantly is the investigation process which is a hint for a something bigger gonna happen soon which is the real trick of the first murder"
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

Spoiler:
Masumi surely knows that Shinichi is Conan, so now she needs to figure out who helped Conan. Too bad she didn't ask Ran if perhaps someone didn't disguise themselves as Shinichi (which would be a normal question, because if I know that someone can't be at 2 places during the same time, then if they are it must mean that someone else must be at one of that places). This question would actually make Ran unsure of things (even though it was Conan that was disguised and not Shinichi). But I'm glad that Ran once again things about that.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Tantei San
It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Post by Tantei San »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Spoiler:
Both Ran and Masumi (and Mary, and perhaps even Shūkichi) have the potential to be wild cards, with respect to the upcoming clash between the Kudōs, Shūichi, Rei/Tōru/Bourbon, the Security Bureaus and the FBI and Rum and the BO. All of the Akai family should be in on this confrontation, and it wasn't too long ago that Ran recalled the incident at the pier (429–434/345—the closest she's gotten to getting involved in the BO plot) and actually saw through Vermouth's disguise (954–957/866–867).
That reminds me we still havent seen the aftermath of Amuro meeting the Kudos.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,022-1026

Tantei San wrote:
Spoiler:
Yep, Gosho's definitely saving the revelation of what happened in that meeting for when the big confrontation happens.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
AgOkami

Post by AgOkami »

Spoiler:
Refreshing seeing a chapter ending with Conan so confused instead of the usual "Aha, so that's how it is."
Tantei San wrote:
Spoiler:
Yep, Gosho's definitely saving the revelation of what happened in that meeting for when the big confrontation happens.
I honestly thought I had accidentally skipped a chapter after that meeting.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

This is the possible second Murder's method.
Spoiler:
I think the poison was in a capsule which was placed inside of the straw.
Thus it never smeared the Potassium Cyanide on the insides of the straw.
https://capsuline.com/pages/empty-capsule-size-chart
Now the density of KCN is around 1.52g/ml.
Also the lethal dose to humans is around 250-300 mg.
Given the size chart, capsule 3 would be good enough for this purpose.
Now capsule 3 has the external diameter .23-.22 inches.
Now the average diameter of an Mcdonald straw is somewhat like the big ones listed over here
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/ ... traws.html
one can see that the Super-Jumbo spoon straw and the giant straw fit the bill.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Spoiler:
hahaha... for an outrageous statement from Sera that suggested the victim who died from poison took the poison himself and committed suicide... all others seem to be shocked at the statement except 2 who seem to confirm it... the guy who bought over the drinks and the lady who ordered a similar looking drink...hmm... and to imagine someone reacting calmly to an outrageous statement is quite suspicious in itself? ;D That.... and Ran's reaction to Sera's earlier statement about Shinichi and Conan... shouldn't she be more shocked if she didn't somehow "accepted" the idea? ::) Image
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
saorin
"If I hear you pine for me I will return straightaway to you."

Post by saorin »

Spoiler:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:This is the possible second Murder's method.
I think the poison was in a capsule which was placed inside of the straw.
Thus it never smeared the Potassium Cyanide on the insides of the straw.
https://capsuline.com/pages/empty-capsule-size-chart
Now the density of KCN is around 1.52g/ml.
Also the lethal dose to humans is around 250-300 mg.
Given the size chart, capsule 3 would be good enough for this purpose.
Now capsule 3 has the external diameter .23-.22 inches.
Now the average diameter of an Mcdonald straw is somewhat like the big ones listed over here
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/ ... traws.html
one can see that the Super-Jumbo spoon straw and the giant straw fit the bill.
I agree, It's What I thought as well. That leaves us With the Make-up Artist and The Key Grip (or whatever he was). Both have had access to the victim's Straw.

Both were suspicious within the Video footage of the prior chapter (her looking up after the victim falling, him looking up before the victim fell).

Both also have pills with them and both pressed for the drinks. But she was the one to offer the Straw for the victim while the key grip did not make sure that There were even straws left for the victim. She also gave out straws, at least to the director, maybe in order to create need for her to give up hers in the first place. Apparently, she was also the first to notice that the first victim was afraid of artificially made insects. Plus, she Admits that she learned stuff from her dead boyfriend (make up), so she might have learned from him how to make the butterfly thing.

So I'm betting on her.
Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it.
("Macbeth")
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Spoiler:
There is also the third person, the director.
If he recorded the fall then it would be game over for the culprit.
Also the PA guy(Hoegi) was not near the second victim when he had fallen.
The ones who could have gone for the phone was the director and the make up artist.
The phone was pivotal for the culprit to obtain, else his identity would be up in the air.
So chances are the two remaining suspects are only Make Up artst and the director.
DCUniverseAficionado

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Spoiler:
So chances are the two remaining suspects are only Make Up artst and the director.
Spoiler:
Yeah, he's my second choice for the killer after her.
EDIT:
We just got 1,025 spoilers, courtesy of Mycroft:
Spoiler:
"In this chapter we will see flashback of Miyano family , we gonna see "Shiho" , and the story behind "Mery" shrinking and "Masumi's" reaction back then"
EDIT (#2):
Break next week—we can expect 1,026 spoilers (and the conclusion of this case) around January 4th.

EDIT (#3):
1,025 spoiler pics are now out...
Spoiler:
And they reveal that Mary shrank in London. After she told Masumi she was going to meet with Tsutomu, she went to do that... and came back shrunk.

And then... there's some thoughts from Shiho/Ai about the whole drug conundrum, where she claims that one of the drugs her parents made was the one that would go on to shrink her and Shinichi—so I presume this means that the de-aging part of the APTX that she made as Sherry came from their data that was left behind from that fire. We still need more pages—more context—here.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Spoilers of all the plot stuff from the upcoming chapter:
https://pastebin.com/GEZZSE2s
champagne

Post by champagne »

Spoiler:
The spoilers for file 1025 are great! I'm glad the plot is heating up now. Too bad we have to wait two weeks for file 1026 and even worse that there most likely will be yet another break after this case. I just hope it won't be in the ballpark of several weeks again.

Some thoughts after reading the spoilers for 1025:

I wonder why Conan doesn't want to admit to the Akais that he's Shinichi? He knows exactly that both Shuichi and Masumi have figured out his identity, but so far he isn't willing to come clean to them, although he knows their mother has shrunk too? What is it that causes Conan's distrust (?) towards them?

It quickly needs to be revealed what the Akais know about each other:
Are Shuichi and Shukichi aware of their mother's condition? Shukichi knows that Shuichi is alive, but why does Masumi (+ her mother?) not know?
How come it looks like the Akai siblings don't know about their cousins (Akemi and Shiho)? Shiho was born after her parents joined the BO, so that could explain why Mary doesn't know about her, but Akemi has been around long before they joined the BO… Is it just that Mary and Elena were estranged, so they never told each other about their children? This really needs to be explained.
But even more important than that – what will this family connection mean for the future? There must be some point to it. What will Ai/Shiho think when she learns about the Akais? What will this revelation trigger or change?

Bottom line is: Feels like it's building up to the big family "reunion'' and I wish it would happen as soon as possible. Mary, Masumi, Shuichi, Shukichi and Ai/Shiho coming together should clarify a lot of things (and even better if Tsutomu shows up as well, so we learn about his story too). Guess that will be reserved for this arc's climax along with Rum's reveal?
DCUniverseAficionado

champagne wrote:
Spoiler:
Too bad we have to wait two weeks for file 1026 and even worse that there most likely will be yet another break after this case. I just hope it won't be in the ballpark of several weeks again.

Bottom line is: Feels like it's building up to the big family "reunion'' and I wish it would happen as soon as possible. Mary, Masumi, Shuichi, Shukichi and Ai/Shiho coming together should clarify a lot of things (and even better if Tsutomu shows up as well, so we learn about his story too). Guess that will be reserved for this arc's climax along with Rum's reveal?
Spoiler:
We only got 4 cases/17 files this year, with ~3 months of breaks inbetween each—if this is what Gosho intends to do to stabilize his health (which, frankly, should be his priority), then unfortunately yes, we will be getting more breaks. Fortunately, with how the pace has accelerated over the course of the past year, it should balance everything out—I mean, we got the Miyano parents, of all characters, in two cases this year.

Yeah, I wonder about Tsutomu—Mary apparently went to meet him the day she was shrunk. Was he really there, and the BO crashed their reunion, or did they manage to trick her into thinking he'd be there when he wouldn't be?

But yes, this is likely all being saved for the climax case—hopefully, it'll be 6-7 files (after all, the exchange for less cases per year seems to be that the cases are now longer than 3 files—all the cases this year were 4 or 5 files long).