Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,022-1026

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
dylanborja

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,022-102X

Post by dylanborja »

Kor wrote:
dylanborja wrote:
Spoiler:
File 1022 was the last file of the year. File 1023 will be in SS 1 (2019).
No, that's incorrect. Issue #1 of Shonen Sunday is released in December. I know it's weird, but this is how it is. (so 1023 will be released in a couple of days if nothing goes wrong)
Yes, it is correct. File 1023 will be released in the first issue of the 2019 magazine. Even if it is released in December, it is part of the 2019 magazine. File 1022 was the last file in the 2018 magazine. Similarly, you were able to buy a 2019 car last month.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

dylanborja wrote:
Kor wrote:
dylanborja wrote:
Spoiler:
No, that's incorrect. Issue #1 of Shonen Sunday is released in December. I know it's weird, but this is how it is. (so 1023 will be released in a couple of days if nothing goes wrong)
Yes, it is correct. File 1023 will be released in the first issue of the 2019 magazine. Even if it is released in December, it is part of the 2019 magazine. File 1022 was the last file in the 2018 magazine. Similarly, you were able to buy a 2019 car last month.
This honestly looks a bit like back-paddling, but that aside, it's important to make this distinction cause other people may get confused.
File 1022 was the last file of the year.
This statement is just unnecessarily misleading (without explaining why that's the case in the first place) because our conceptualisation of when a year begins or ends isn't based on when a Japanese magazine restarts its rotation, but on the most commonly used calendar. And dare I say, whatever the magazine issue is technically labeled as doesn't truly matter (to us especially) as much as the de facto date it gets released on.
AgOkami

Post by AgOkami »

Spoiler:
Just noticed: could Tokuzono have, like Ran, missed what Sonoko was talking about when she mentioned being the wife of an action star, and thought she and Ran were talking about some other wife (and then commenting with "money hungry bitch")? If he heard and understood what she was talking about, then his surprise when Makoto grabs him feels out of place.
dylanborja

Post by dylanborja »

Kor wrote:
dylanborja wrote:
Kor wrote:
dylanborja wrote:
Spoiler:
This honestly looks a bit like back-paddling, but that aside, it's important to make this distinction cause other people may get confused.
File 1022 was the last file of the year.
This statement is just unnecessarily misleading (without explaining why that's the case in the first place) because our conceptualisation of when a year begins or ends isn't based on when a Japanese magazine restarts its rotation, but on the most commonly used calendar. And dare I say, whatever the magazine issue is technically labeled as doesn't truly matter (to us especially) as much as the de facto date it gets released on.
I apologize for not making myself clear to begin with. I was merely making an observation. It was not my intention to confuse or mislead anyone or start a debate about a subject that, I agree, does not truly matter.

Will you forgive me?
Misztina

Post by Misztina »

AgOkami wrote:
Spoiler:
Just noticed: could Tokuzono have, like Ran, missed what Sonoko was talking about when she mentioned being the wife of an action star, and thought she and Ran were talking about some other wife (and then commenting with "money hungry bitch")? If he heard and understood what she was talking about, then his surprise when Makoto grabs him feels out of place.
Spoiler:
No, I think, he really did mean Sonoko. But she reminded him of a specific person.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

1,023 text spoilers are out, courtesy of Mycroft:
Spoiler:
"The title of the chapter is 'Strange drug'

Masumi: When shinichi-kun shows up , Conan-kun disappears
Ran: what do you mean?
Masumi: I mean.... that thing

Masumi and Ran gonna talk about Shinichi and the "Drug" in the last 2 pages of the chapter."
EDIT:
1,023 Spoiler Pics are now out, as well.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:1,023 text spoilers are out, courtesy of Mycroft:
Spoiler:
"The title of the chapter is 'Strange drug'

Masumi: When shinichi-kun shows up , Conan-kun disappears
Ran: what do you mean?
Masumi: I mean.... that thing

Masumi and Ran gonna talk about Shinichi and the "Drug" in the last 2 pages of the chapter."
EDIT:
1,023 Spoiler Pics are now out, as well.
If this means what I think it means...OH BOY
S.Vineyard

Post by S.Vineyard »

Yeah.....
Spoiler:
This is an unexpected turn.

Sera really put Conan into a corner here.

Also putting Shinichi's seizures right back into Ran's mind.... *uff*
Kudo Shinchi
No comment......

Post by Kudo Shinchi »

Spoiler:
Sera has been pushing Ran to uncover Shinichi's identity for a long time now. But even by her standards, this is incredibly blunt...
S.Vineyard

Post by S.Vineyard »

Spoiler:
Damn, it's such a shame, that Chek isn't active anymore....
AgOkami

Post by AgOkami »

Spoiler:
If this leads to a big change, like Ran finally knowing everything, then... I don't have words for how happy I'm gonna be! This should have happened years ago when there weren't any jokes left to make about Ran not knowing. I can't remember the last time I was really excited about a new DC chapter.

I'm still sceptical this will actually happen though. We will know soon.
Tantei San
It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Post by Tantei San »

Spoiler:
Since the whole talk comes in the end of the chapter, it either will be resumed in the next chapter or is Sera giving hints in solving the case, which in turn makes ran think about it .. which we most likely will see in the aftermath of resolution chapter or the next one.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

S.Vineyard wrote:
Spoiler:
Damn, it's such a shame, that Chek isn't active anymore....
Spoiler:
Yeah, I’d be curious to hear her thoughts on… well, everything since 1,000, really.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
champagne

Post by champagne »

Spoiler:
So we all know that Sera's goal for now is "to find the developer of this medicine at all cost and obtain it" - that's what her mum told her to do.
Now I wonder what her plan is - why does she think exposing Conan's identity to Ran would be helpful? If she wants to blackmail Conan, wouldn't she approach him first before leaking any suspicious stuff to Ran? So in case she doesn't try to blackmail him, does she think it's likelier that Conan will spill the beans about the antidote if Ran is backing her up while asking him about it?

If Conan is going to come clean now, I wonder if he would be willing to tell them about Ai too? Seems like Sera and Mary have no clue about her being the creator of the drug and its temporary antidote.

Btw, I would welcome it if Conan's identity is indeed going to be revealed now (although it would be kinda funny if Sera just hands the truth to Ran on a silver platter, but I don't mind lol). Sera is putting it quite bluntly, she can't take it back anymore and even if she backtracks, it would be really stupid if Ran just forgets all about it.

It's been a really long time and I think it would be good if we get the inevitable stuff over with. Maybe once Gosho has crossed the obligatory stuff (like Shin/Ran dating, Conan's identity) off the list, we'll get full-on BO plot?
Antiyonder

Post by Antiyonder »

AgOkami wrote:
Spoiler:
If this leads to a big change, like Ran finally knowing everything, then... I don't have words for how happy I'm gonna be! This should have happened years ago when there weren't any jokes left to make about Ran not knowing. I can't remember the last time I was really excited about a new DC chapter.

I'm still sceptical this will actually happen though. We will know soon.
Spoiler:
Same here. Keeping my expectations medium as it could be another tease, but also because I'm less skeptical of it the possibility of Ran finding out permanently, but more skeptical towards the emotional payoff being worth the long wait. Especially with how for a long time Conan hasn't been allowed to be wrong or portrayed officially as a flawed human.

Even then in the better half of the series, Game Company Murder Case and Reunion With the Black Organization don't really invalidate the secrecy approach and while there might be some consequences for the worse due to keeping a tight lid on things I don't know. I mean if Conan isn't meant to be entirely in the right by keeping up the deception, I'd think there would at most be a scenario like those cases where keeping quiet resulted in a high body count or at least on a personal scale allow Ran to feel unsure about her relationship with him. Not angry or hateful, just being forgiving while thinking maybe that they don't have the making of a good couple if she couldn't be trusted with his secret at least so Conan/Shinichi has some much needed growth in remembering that he doesn't always know what's best.
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.