Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,018-1021

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,018-1021

Post by Kor »

As stated in the above image, please continue to use spoiler boxes for the first three days in which a file is available. However, due to legal restrictions, we kindly ask that you do NOT post any links in this topic to any Japanese raw files or English scanlations. For more information on this matter, please click here.
thriceplus

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,018-1021

Post by thriceplus »

My memory's foggy but have Heiji and Kid ever met before in the manga?
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

No, never. It will be the first time they meet (if they do) and interact.

In the movie-verse, Heiji did help chase Kid in M3 but didn't get to interact with him. And in M10 Kid disguised as Hakuba and they did interact but he didn't know it was Kid.

I think that in one of the OVAs or Magic Files Heiji and Kid did show up together too but I've got the impression that once again they've never talked to each other or had a real confrontation.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Post by kentasaiba »

Yeah, they just talked in M10, Kids Hakuba-persona was revealed at the end. Heiji saw Kid fly away in OVA6. In the Special Mangas, Kid used Heiji very often as a disguise.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Some dialogue from leaked images. Translation by Fuji.
Spoiler:
Kid (thoughts): I guess I'll put a stop on stealing it for the night...

Kid (thoughts): Once the sun comes out the ice ought to slowly shrink after all...

p.16

Nakamori: Tonight at midnight...

Nakamori: I shall appear to claim the fairy's lips... Kaitou Kid...

Nakamori: So you're going to come after all!!

Nakamori: Kaitou Kid!!

Heiji (thoughts): Appear to claim the fairy's lips...

Heiji (thoughts): Claim...

Heiji (thoughts): Lips...

Side note: Heiji is more preoccupied with lips than the jewel...!!
What is Kid's plan of attack for the jewel in the ice?!
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

More spoilers thanks to Jecka and her sources
Spoiler:
So basically Conan and the others did call Heiji down cause Kid is rumored to show up for the jewel "Fairy's lips".
Heiji's got lips on the mind --Kazuha's and she thinks she's got something on her mouth and that's why he's staring at her.
Jiro got the challenge a week earlier. Nakamori wants more folks to be on security detail, but Jiro says what they have is enough. He's sure this time Kid won't get away.
Koumei shows up and he's basically calling Nakamori's plan --to fortify the defense around the jewel to be foolish.
Heiji's surprised Jiro?) came up with this plan, and it's then Jiro introduces them to Koumei.
And he's quoting 3 kingdoms of course. Only Ran has any idea of what he's talking about.
So the reason Koumei came to Tokyo is because a detective there has an envelope that seems to be addressed to him. The note on the envelope is smudged It reads something like
“Please send this to Insp*smudge* *smudge*i Takaaki of the Prefectural Police of *smudge*no”
But the Detective in charge that he was supposed to meet up with wasn't available so he came to hang out at the museum instead. (PLOT??)
Conan kind of mentions the last case and wonders if Koumei is here for that.
Well he thinks about it, but doesn't voice it out loud. (The serial policewoman murders case.)
He got an envelope with a message but the words were smeared so he couldn't make it out.
Kid is listening in as Ran explains to Kazuha who he is and he's like "Two high school detectives and a cop from Nagano? Maybe I shouldn't do this."
"At least not for tonight."
Fifth panel.
A jewel broker Torigoe Naeji implies that the jewel ain't nothin' much and Jiro should put it up for auction.
But then a girl --Moena Yamamoto says it was an important gift from her grandfather's oversea trips and it belongs to her, not on display.
Her grandmama passed away and she wants the jewel for the funeral service tomorrow.
Kid hears this and smirks. "So that's how it is".
It's then that kid delivers his message that he'll steal the jewel at midnight, and Heiji looks back at Kazuha thinking about her lips.
End.
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

Spoiler:
Heiji's likely wondering whether Kazuha is wearing lipstick. If Gosho were to make this a giant fakeout, he could have it so that Kazuha's actually wearing chapstick. Alternately, he could have it so that Kazuha just wants to look nice because she's about to meet somebody who she respects greatly, such as an old friend of the family who she hasn't seen in a long time.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Kor wrote:
Spoiler:
So the reason Koumei came to Tokyo is because a detective there has an envelope that seems to be addressed to him. The note on the envelope is smudged It reads something like
“Please send this to Insp*smudge* *smudge*i Takaaki of the Prefectural Police of *smudge*no”
But the Detective in charge that he was supposed to meet up with wasn't available so he came to hang out at the museum instead. (PLOT??)
Conan kind of mentions the last case and wonders if Koumei is here for that.
Well he thinks about it, but doesn't voice it out loud. (The serial policewoman murders case.)
He got an envelope with a message but the words were smeared so he couldn't make it out.
Spoiler:
Reminds me of pollen guy from last case.

Could this all be Hyōe using his NPA influence to pull strings in accordance with the plan the Kudos and Shūichi made with Rei/Tōru/Bourbon? Or is it part of another scheme?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

So this theory hasn't been posted here yet, but it has circulated around. Will put it in a spoiler tag just in case:
Spoiler:
In the last several months, Gosho has been slowly revealing Scotch's real name via his Animal Crossing messages.
Pic 2: "Scotch's name is XXXX HIROMITSU"
Back in June he revealed his given name.
Pic 1: "... "Tell me Scotch's surname"...->"
Pic 2: "There are many questions of that kind so (laughs)->"
Pic 3: "Here's a hint. "One of the kana on his first name->"
Pic 4: "..."is included on his surname!"..."
Then in July he told us one kana from the given name is also in the surname (which is 4 kanas long).

Initially, revealing Scotch's name may seem like a rather trivial thing cause the dude's already dead so who even cares, but with the last hint, it did seem like Gosho's (sadly) setting up something... that Scotch is maybe related to some other already existing character. There aren't that many DC characters with XXXX surnames that contain one of the kanas in Hiromitsu. You have Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko, Morofushi Takaaki and possibly one or two others. We seemingly got an answer, however, when deco2289 from the cbox posted this link that showed us Koumei and Scotch have extremely similar looking eyes https://twitter.com/suityo0/status/1021391204288638976

So now with Koumei randomly showing up in a Kid case, after Gosho set up Scotch's real name for months, this might be where we're going with this (as in, Scotch and Koumei being related).
ananas

Post by ananas »

I knew we would get a Kid case! Now let's see if the birthday boy will show up too?
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

Spoiler:
So this is how Koumei, and possibly entire Nagano gang will become plot related characters. But I don't mind, because Koumei is my favourite cop guy.

It makes me wonder how much Koumei knows or will find out from the letter. He is one of the smartest characters in the series, so there is a chance that he already knows or suspects something. But what I hope the most is that he will reveal his findings with Conan. But maybe I shouldn't worry about that considering that pretty much only Koumei and Kansuke from the police trust Conan without any doubt, and consider him equal to them...
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Fujiwara »

English translation of file 1018:
Spoiler:
p.1

Side note: Heiji is extremely distressed... And the reason for that is--

Heiji (thinking): It's no good...

Heiji (thinking): It's just no good...

Heiji (thinking): If I simply confess somewhere with nice scenery...

Heiji (thinking): I'll be losin' to Kudo...

Heiji (thinking): If I wanna win against him...

Heiji (thinking): I've gotta prepare myself...

Heiji (thinking): After all, that guy...

Heiji (thinking): On that crowded stage at Kiyomizu...

p.2

Case part 1

File 1018: In the ice

Heiji (thinking): He jus' went an' smooched her...
He really doesn't halfass things...

Text: Heiji frets after his rival got there first(?)---!!

p.3

Heiji: That really must've been lip on lip...
if ya were gonna go an' do somethin' like that, ya should've told me beforehand. it gave me a right shock...

Kazuha: What gave ya a shock?

Heiji: Kazuha?!

Kazuha: I bought us some iced tea!

Kazuha: And? What is it that gave ya a shock?

Heiji: Ah, th-that's...

Heiji: I meant...

Heiji: That museum where we're going today with Kudo--

Heiji: C-Conan-kun and the others... I was so surprised when people all started suddenly sayin' that Kaitou Kid might be going there too...
Kazuha: I know, right?

Kazuha: There're rumours tha' Kid stood on top of the Tsuutenkaku before, but, back then I never saw him with my own eyes...

Kazuha: so this is really somethin' to look forward to, right? <3

Heiji: R-right...

Kazuha: Speakin' of things to look forward to...

Kazuha: The jewel Kid is aimin' fer...

p.4

Kazuha: is the world's biggest conch pearl...

Kazuha: The Fairy's Lip!!

Kazuha: A long, thin, pink pearl - I can't wait to see it!!

Heiji (thinking): Fairy's lip...
Lips of a fairy...

Heiji (thinking): Lips...

Kazuha: What is it?
Ya've been starin' at my mouth for a while now...

Kazuha: is there somethin' on it?

Heiji: Ah, er, well...

Kazuha: It's seaweed! It's 'cause I ate Takoyaki this morning...

Kazuha: If Ran-chan an' the others saw this, I'd be laughed at...

Heiji (thinking): Takoyaki, huh?

Heiji (thinking): It'd probably taste like takoyaki sauce...

p.5

Ran: Eh? You're almost at Shin-Yokohama?

Ran: Then we'll be heading to Tokyo station to pick you up, so wait for us, Kazuha-chan!

Kogoro: Seriously, that rich old geezer...

Kogoro: He goes and flashily picks a fight with Kid again...

[Newspaper horizontal: Steal it if you can!!]

[Newspaper vertical: Suzuki Jirokichi calls out Kaitou Kid!!]

Kogoro: Are you really going to that museum?

Kogoro: There's going to be so much security that you won't be able to properly see the jewel anyway.

Conan: Ah, but...

Conan: It says here, "We're making preparations to allow people to cooly look at the jewel from all sides".

Kogoro (thinking): There he goes, reading kanji...

Conan: They might have come up with something!

p.6

Box: One week earlier

Jirokichi: This won't do at all!!

Jirokichi: With this security set-up, that moonlight magician will once again successfully steal the jewel...

Jirokichi: And easily get away!!

Jirokichi: This time, let's ignore the fact that the jewel might get stolen...

Jirokichi: isn't there a better method to ensure that that guy definitely can't get away?!

Nakamori: As I've been saying...

Nakamori: If you just increased the number of guards around the jewel...

Nakamori: It wouldn't even get stolen in the first place!!

Jirokichi: If we increase them any further, the visitors won't be able to enjoy looking at the jewel!

Nakamori: Hmph! Who cares about the visitors?!
They're probably mostly Kid fans anyway...

Jirokichi: Anyway, we have one more week until the jewel will be put on display!
We need to come up with a better plan until then...

Jirokichi: Or we will end up seeing that conceited scoundrel's audacious smile this time as well...

p.7

Jirokichi: I came all the way to the Metropolitan Police Department, but it turned out to be a fool's errand!

Guy in a suit: But Sir, Inspector Nakamori has a point as well!
Wouldn't it be better to tighten the security around the jewel?

Glasses guy: By surrounding the display case with a steel fence, for example...

Jirokichi: Even if we do that, it'll just get stolen anyway!

Jirokichi: As I said before, let's attack rather than defend! We need to come up with a plan to ensure that that guy can't get away...

Koumei: Attacking the exterior...
Without fortifying the defence of the interior...

Koumei: is a foolish undertaking...

[TN: Quote attributed to Zhuge Liang, a military strategist during the Three Kingdoms period in China.]

Jirokichi: Eh?

Koumei: These words were reputedly said a long time ago by a certain strategist who made a name for himself in China.

Jirokichi: Are you part of the police?

Koumei: Yes... Although not of the Metropolitan Police Department...

Jirokichi: But how would you go about fortifying the defence...?

Jirokichi: I'm being reproached every damn time for wanting to show the exhibit to visitors...

Koumei: Hmm...

Koumei: Then how about this?

p.8

People: I-

People: Ice?!

People: You put the jewel into ice?!

Conan: I see...

Heiji: This way, ya can cooly look at it from all sides...

Nakamori: But it's just ice...
if you heat it up, it'll melt, and if you use a drill, you can make a hole in it...

p.9

Jirokichi: That's not a problem...
With this amount of ice, even with a gas burner, it'd take quite a while to melt it...

Jirokichi: And if you were to drill a hole just to get to the jewel...

Jirokichi: It'd be impossible to get the jewel out without causing damage!

Jirokichi: What's more, we specially surrounded this display case with hard glass...
And keep the temperature here lower than in the other rooms...

Jirokichi: This way, it's harder to melt the ice...

Jirokichi: And the guards are outside the glass...
Allowing people to appreciate the jewel without feeling unduly intimidated!

Heiji: But, seriously!

Heiji: Ya've thought up somethin' good there!

Jirokichi: It wasn't my idea!

Jirokichi: The one who came up with this ingenious plan...

Jirokichi: and who specially came again today to help out...

p.10

Jirokichi: Was Inspector Morofushi Takaaki from the homicide department of the Nagano prefectural police!

Koumei: I merely stated that the esteemed visitors of this establishment would also feel cool and refreshed if we were to employ ice...

Koumei: Well, I also advised that it would be prudent to enact the plan as soon as it was decided upon...

Koumei: "Celerity is precious in war" after all...

Kogoro: Celer-what?

Ran: It's a famous quote of a military commander from the Three Kingdoms!

[TN: Quote attributed to Guo Jia, an adviser to the warlord Cao Cao during the Three Kingdoms period in China. Celerity is an archaic term for speed.]

Ran: Inspector Morofushi! What are you doing here?

Koumei: In truth...

Koumei: I came here last week to confirm a certain something...

Koumei: But the detective in charge was out on a case and I was unable to meet them...

Koumei: Thus I came again at this time...

Conan (thinking): Right, the policewoman serial murder case happened last week...

Ran: What is that certain something?

Koumei: An envelope addressed to me...

Koumei: Or, more precisely, an envelope that appears to be addressed to me...

Koumei: The words are blurred and difficult to make out, and the sender also seems to be unknown...

[Envelope: Please send this to Insp*smudge* *smudge*i Takaaki of the Prefectural Police of *smudge*no]

p.11

Koumei: Well, the reason I chose this day in particular to come to Tokyo again...

Koumei: is in no small part because Advisor Suzuki asked me to come...

Kazuha: Ran-chan, do ya know that detective?

Ran: Yes! I met him when we encountered a case in Nagano...

Ran: He's childhood friends with Inspector Yamato Kansuke and Detective Uehara Yui who you've also met before!

Kazuha: Fer real?

Ran: inspector Yamato calls him Koumei and he really is as sharp as Zhuge LiangZhuge Liang, alias: Kong Ming!

Kazuha: I see...

[TN: Koumei is the Japanese reading of Kong Ming [孔明]]

Kaito (thinking): What's this? Two high school detectives...

Kaito (thinking): and one strategist-like police detective from Nagano?

Kaito (thinking): Maybe I should give up on stealing it tonight...

Kaito (thinking): Once the sun comes up, that ice should also slowly start shrinking...

Koumei: But this really is a magnificent conch pearl...

Koumei: Not only the color, size and shape...

p.12

Koumei: But also the pattern formed on the surface is superb!

Koumei: It really does justice to the name "Fairy's lip"...

Suspect #1: As expected of the detective that Advisor Suzuki expressly invited...

Suspect #1: You have good eyes!

Suspect #1: This conch pearl was found inside a huge Akoya pearl oyster...

Suspect #1: That was slumbering in Ago Bay in the prefecture of Mie...

[Intro card: Torigoe Naeji (45) Jewel broker]

Torigoe: Enchanted by the brilliance of its iridiscence that is particular to pearls, I spent a large sum of money to acquire this unique masterpiece!

Torigoe: I am honored that it can play a part in the plan to capture Kid!

Torigoe: in exchange, please compensate me accordingly in the case that it gets stolen...

Jirokichi: Sure...

Torigoe: After all, this jewel is an important asset of mine...
That even has a high-paying buyer already lined up in an auction...

Voice: That's a lie!!!

p.13

Suspect #2: It's a special present that my grandfather got on his travels...(edited)

Suspect #2: from a multi-millionaire in the caribbean!!

Suspect #2: I only handed it to you because you told me you would find out its worth...

Suspect #2: And now you refuse to give it back!!

[Intro card: Yamamoto Moena (21) Employee]

Torigoe: Yes... Your pearl was rather similar to mine, so I took it to check it out...
But, if I recall correctly, I've already returned it...

Yamamoto: That's right! You returned it, alright!

Yamamoto: After you replaced the conch pearl in the ring with a fake!!

Jirokichi: Oi oi, what's the meaning of this?

Torigoe: Sometimes there're people like this... Customers who refuse to see reason...

Yamamoto: Give it back right now!

Yamamoto: That's the jewel that was on the marriage ring that my grandfather gave my grandmother...

p.14

Yamamoto: I want to put it into the coffin of my grandmother, who died the other day...

Yamamoto: So she can take it with her to heaven!!

Yamamoto: Let me go!

Yamamoto: My grandmother's funeral is tomorrow!
There's no time left!

Yamamoto: Lemme go!!

Kaito (thinking): I see...

Kaito (thinking): So that's how it is...

Jirokichi: And? Has Kid still not sent a notice?

Nakamori: No, still no word...

[SFX: appear]

p.15

Kaito: inspector Nakamori!

SFX: knock knock

Nakamori: Hm?

Nakamori: What is it?

Kaito: Over there...

Kaito: There's a strange ball...

SFX: roll

Nakamori: Th-this is...

Nakamori: A BB?!

Nakamori (thinking): But why would that be here...?

Koumei: Hm?

Koumei: inspector Nakamori...

Koumei: There's a card...

Koumei: Under your shoe...

Nakamori: Th-this is...

Nakamori: Could it be?!

SFX: peel

p.16

Nakamori: Tonight, at midnight...

Nakamori: I shall appear to claim the fairy's lip... Kaitou Kid...

[Card: Tonight, at midnight, I shall appear to claim the Fairy's Lip. Kaitou Kid]

Nakamori: So you're going to come, as I thought!!

Nakamori: Kaitou Kid!!

Heiji (thoughts): Appear to claim the fairy's lip...

Heiji (thoughts): Claim...

Heiji (thoughts): Lips...

Side note: Heiji is more preoccupied with lips than the jewel...!!
What is Kid's plan of attack for the jewel in the ice?!
ananas

Post by ananas »

Spoiler:
"Kaito (thinking): What's this? Two high school detectives..."
Sooooo, he DOES know Conan's identity?!
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Post by kentasaiba »

What a reveal! Next Chapter we find out how in a 15 pages flashback!