Zero's Tea Time Discussion Thread

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Zero's Tea Time Discussion Thread

Post by Kor »

Sort of realized there's no place for anyone to post anything about this spinoff manga, and given that this is the only Conan material we're now getting on a weekly basis, here's an all purpose thread for it. Dunno if anyone truly has anything to say about this manga, but... just in case.

Spoiler tags aren't enforced cause given the fluffy content, there's not really anything to spoil with this manga.

Gotta wonder if Gosho will insert Dog into the Conan manga too.
blurfbreg

Re: Zero's Tea Time Discussion Thread

Post by blurfbreg »

If Amuro can pull off sick stunts like driving on the side of a tunnel, why hasn't he destroyed the BO with his OP skills yet? sigh
Sleep tight; Don't let the bedbugs bite.
Tenryu

Post by Tenryu »

come here today after reading this...

gotta say it's unexpected lol.. really didn't expect this kind of fluff before reading the manga
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Spoiler alert: Amuro breathed.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

The anime is coming, I can feel it
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Fujiwara »

blurfbreg wrote:If Amuro can pull off sick stunts like driving on the side of a tunnel, why hasn't he destroyed the BO with his OP skills yet? sigh
Guess his OP skills only encompass driving and the BO hasn't yet agreed to an all-or-nothing drift racing competition. ;V
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Based on this tweet (https://twitter.com/zerotea_file/status ... 88609?s=19), it looks like the first volume of ZTT sold 600K in less than a week. Just for comparison, this is more than what volume 94 sold in 5 months.

Also (as pointed out by Mak) the next ZTT volume is said to be released on October 18. Thing is, if the publication is true to their word about ZTT and Conan not running concurrently in the same magazine issue, this creates a bit of a problem:
The first ZTT volume is 10 chapters long. If the second volume is also meant to have the same number of chapters, then here's the math. Chapter 13 was released last week, and in order to reach 20, in the next 9 weeks, they have to release 7 chapters of ZTT. What this could potentially mean is that after the next Conan chapter (on August 29) there may again be a break of over a month for Conan (so the ZTT manga can put out the rest of the chapters for the volume), which is really kind of insanely atrocious.
But again, this is only if they stick to the two manga series not running concurrently like they said earlier. Guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Personally I kinda doubt Gosho will start a case at the end of August and then only come back to it a month+ later, but it's also true the schedule this year has been really awful too, so I guess it's possible.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

The idea here is this, Conan sells much less than ZTT and is compared to be a niche series. It lacks the captivating charm thanks to the atrocious Bourbon-arc and its follow up. Now Gosho is stuck in the middle of a rock and a very hard place. His primary manga is getting cannibalised by ZTT. Given how main series characters are appearing thick and fast in ZTT, it is very likely to push Conan aside. Given the fact that Conan's readers(Japanese) gives a damn about plot and are more interested in Romance(seriously where the protagonist is fighting tooth and nail against a bunch of serial killers, they all care about over the top idiotic files which has the tag romance??)

Given the current situation and ZTT's cannibalisation, Conan will never see the end of the road and will remain as an unfinished mystery of the universe. The odds are high.
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

The fact that people are reading ZTT doesn't necessarily mean that those same people will stop reading Conan. Gosho's dramatically decreased his output since December 2017, so ZTT could more rightly be seen as a substitute for Conan, a "product" which is in short supply these days. Like how people started using chicory instead of coffee beans during various wars due to coffee shortages and yet people are still drinking crazy amounts of coffee today. If anything, the fact of ZTT should serve to keep people interested in Conan during the long hiatuses.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Swagnarok wrote:The fact that people are reading ZTT doesn't necessarily mean that those same people will stop reading Conan. Gosho's dramatically decreased his output since December 2017, so ZTT could more rightly be seen as a substitute for Conan, a "product" which is in short supply these days. Like how people started using chicory instead of coffee beans during various wars due to coffee shortages and yet people are still drinking crazy amounts of coffee today. If anything, the fact of ZTT should serve to keep people interested in Conan during the long hiatuses.
The basic misconception that ZTT is Conan's substitute is something stemming from the fact that ZTT and Conan trade places in SS. But if I logically break down your example, the chicory was used as a substitute of coffee not the substitute of Fired Rice. Conan and ZTT are two different series, ZTT focuses mostly on raising Amuro fangirls, and just throwing main plot/Conan characters to stir the interest of Conan readers.

From the sales disparity it's evident, even if all Conan fans are gobbling up ZTT(that's another assumption, it would be a great study if Kor goes on doing a survey regarding Conan fans who follow ZTT with same enthusiasm and whether the break-up is uniform in all age and sex groups.) there are plethora of ZTT fans who are not Conan fans.

So here is the catch 22 situation. You must be aware of the 80-20 rule. 80% of your business is generated by 20% of your products. But the if the 20% of the products exclude the talismanic product of the company it's a very bad sign for that talismanic product.
The situation here is comparable to Apple. Apple was a PC making Company but when their Smartphones generated more craze and pushed up revenue it bacame synonymous with i-phones and i-pads, not with PCs.

If it goes on like this Amuro will gobble up Conan. So it's a good idea for the Manga business, but a bad idea concerning Conan.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Looks like we've been mislead by the ZTT twitter account. According to the Oricon list, the number of physical copies sold is at the 250K (https://okachi.fr/top-50-oricon-volumes ... aout-2018/)

It's still an impressive number for a spinoff manga, but not "hot-take worthy" as the previously thought number.

So this is false:
Based on this tweet (https://twitter.com/zerotea_file/status ... 88609?s=19), it looks like the first volume of ZTT sold 600K in less than a week. Just for comparison, this is more than what volume 94 sold in 5 months.

(It could be that digital sales got it above 600K (hence the tweet), but then I don't think we have any way of knowing that and I also don't think we know the Conan volume digital sales either).
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

^I've been skeptical of the 600k in 3 days number for a while. Shosekirankings (http://shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-2.html) had it only winning the first day and dropping to 3-4th for the rest of the week, so I had a feeling Oricon was going to return a significantly lower number than 600k.

That said 250k is way lower than I expected and would seemingly imply 350k people buying digital. That seems like a pretty absurdly high digital ratio to me. Is ZTT simultaneously released in other countries as well?
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

I don't know. There's also the possibility the info stated in that ZTT twitter tweet is just inaccurate.

EDIT: also saw this posted on reddit
Note: this are actual print selling, whilst the post we saw a few days ago about 600k were print copies distributed
So maybe this is the correct answer and we just misunderstood the original tweet...? :-X
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Chapter 13 color spread is amazing. :)
Vermouth having sleeping problems also

Yeah this is definitely getting an anime or something at one point. Though the chapters are not as long as like MK or DC in general (pacing/content) so it might take a while to get enough content for an adaptation, but they can always add something... There are many scenes that skip in time so you can add a lot in between.

The best thing about this manga is definitely the framing of art or how you could call it. The way the artist can naturally showcase the flow of time in a single panel is amazing and even breathtaking. Whether it's Amuro training to be stronger, having a flashback or showing past and present at the same time (fishing spread) the artist can really integrate the feel of a flow of time in his panels in a way I don't really remember that many have done.