Who do you think is smarter, Akai or Conan?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Samthebeast18

Who do you think is smarter, Akai or Conan?

Postby Samthebeast18 » March 17th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Both characters are shown to be really creative and intelligent, although they specialize in different areas. For example, Conan is a detective and Akai is an FBI field agent. However, when it comes to deductive abilities, Akai is shown to be on par with Conan. With that said, who do you think is a better detective?
MeiTanteixX

Re: Who do you think is smarter, Akai or Conan?

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 17th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Samthebeast18 wrote:Both characters are shown to be really creative and intelligent, although they specialize in different areas. For example, Conan is a detective and Akai is an FBI field agent. However, when it comes to deductive abilities, Akai is shown to be on par with Conan. With that said, who do you think is a better detective?
I see them as equals who occasionally bests each other.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Smitty

Postby Smitty » March 17th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Akai was made to believe, and probably was, smarter than Conan up until the events of Scarlet Showdown.

People assumed the Fake Death plan was a joint plan between Conan and Akai-- turns out it was basically almost all Conan, which was one thing. Same case had Conan being the mastermind behind keeping Okiya's identity hidden from Bourbon. These two things pissed off many people, as prior to this, it appeared that Akai was smarter than Conan. There was a parallel in Kir's intro case, that made it seem that Gin and Akai were equals, right after Gin outsmarted Conan.

Up until Scarlet Showdown, you could of argued that Akai was on par, or superior to Conan. Either we were wrong, or Gosho wanted to nerf Akai to be equal or beneath Conan. The reasons that Akai was made to appear to be above Conan is because Akai's actions, allegiance, and agenda were not known to Conan until Episode 425/Kir Case. Conan figured out that Akai was a myserious character during James Black intro case, and with Ran's exposition, he learned he wore a FBI jacket, but couldn't directly know if he was a real ally or not. Conan and Akai finally work together during Clash of Red and Black. Even during Clash of Red and Black, Akai did not appear to be 'beneath' Conan.
irishock

Postby irishock » March 18th, 2018, 3:56 am

Yusaku>Conan=Akai>Amuro>Gin>Heiji>Sera>Hakuba>Mary>Shuukichi>Haibara>Ran>Everyone Else
sherry26

Postby sherry26 » March 18th, 2018, 4:55 am

They are on equal level if we consider overall intelligence. About their deduction abilities... At times Akai outsmarts Conan while Conan is good at making plans. The whole fake death plan was his idea. Conan was able to think about this plan because he knew about Agasa's inventions and Yukiko's disguising skills while Akai didn't. Gosho just tried to nerf Akai a bit because Conan is the protagonist of this series. Also being an FBI, Akai is more trained. So if we compare overall abilities... Akai takes the cake.
irishock wrote:Yusaku>Conan=Akai>Amuro>Gin>Heiji>Sera>Hakuba>Mary>Shuukichi>Haibara>Ran>Everyone Else

Umm I think Shukichi Haneda is on par with Conan and Akai since his good memory is also his advantage. We can't compare Mary's intelligence right now because we don't know much about her. During Hotta Gaito case she was able to solve that murder by hints and information provided by Masumi. Also we can't compare Haibara here. She's a biochemist not a detective.
Spoiler:
Whiskey

Cool, I have words under my name

Postby Whiskey » March 20th, 2018, 8:38 pm

I actually think it was the opposite. I felt like Conan seemed smarter during the Clash of Red and Black arc, but Akai seemed smarter after he became Subaru. The Yusaku Cold Case file I think is the best example, since Akai solves the case before Conan and also figures out his secret of being Shinichi. There was also the Red Shirt case where Akai solved it at the same time as Conan did with less information and said he could have came up with a better idea for getting everyone to safety from the Black Organization after the case was over.

But before Subaru, Conan seemed to be smarter. His plan of dipping Kusuda Rikumichi's phone in water so they could monitor him was better than Akai's plan. Also, Conan figured out that Kir was in the CIA and pretty much came up with the whole "fake Akai's death" plan. The scene in 425 where Akai snipes at Gin from the roof, I wouldn't necessarily call that "outsmarting" Gin. Akai heard about the wiretap and camped on that roof for the worst case scenario just in case Gin found the tap.

If anyone has been getting nerfed, its Gin. He hasn't done anything in his recent appearances. But he used to be able to beat Conan and Akai no problem. And now we're getting into Rum who is supposed to be the 2nd in command, even though nobody has ever really outsmarted Gin yet...
Jamie M. Plankton

Postby Jamie M. Plankton » April 1st, 2018, 1:05 am

It's Akai. Akai Masumi.
MoonRaven

DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Postby MoonRaven » April 1st, 2018, 1:57 pm

Conan might be smarter but Akai is more intelligent and has more experience to reflect on.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.

My dA There is one file for solely DC drawings.
My FF I have two DC fics: Rose in the Ecplipse of the Sun(or RitEotS) and Dream... or Not(or just DoN). The latter one still ongoing and has a spin-off Leap to Relatively Unknown.
My Tumblr

Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 29 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 13.4.18

Chapter 3 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 17.9.18

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
k11chi

Postby k11chi » April 1st, 2018, 3:00 pm

If Shukichi gets screentime it would not be reach for it to go something like Yusaku>Shuukichi>Conan>=Heiji (not hot-blooded)=>Akai.
AISilverB

Postby AISilverB » April 17th, 2018, 4:42 am

Don't you think Vermouth is pretty smart too considering how she escaped on her face-off with Conan?
MoonlightKidd

Postby MoonlightKidd » April 20th, 2018, 3:40 pm

I do not think this is an good question to ask. How do you judge intelligence? There are some things Conan know that Akai might not know and vice-versa. So to say which one is smarter is very hard to say. If You really wanna choose, Akai has more life experience, so he should be smarter by default. Conan has been portrayed as careless/ sloppy sometimes once he get into a case, especially when it comes to concealing his identity. I would say Conan is sharper and pick up on things quicker than Akai do though.