Did Akai really love Akemi?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Tenken
User avatar
Posts: 321

Contact:

Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby Tenken » December 21st, 2017, 7:22 pm

It's been so long since I've read those chapters so please remind me: what are the indications that Akai really loved Akemi and didn't just use her to infiltrate the B.O.? As I remember, her last message to him was, "If I manage to escape, will you be my real boyfriend?" which implied that she knew she's being used, but how about Akai? Did he really love her or did he just feel guilty about her death?
kkuuddoo
User avatar
Posts: 172

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby kkuuddoo » December 21st, 2017, 8:01 pm

As said in the Manga, Akai really fell in love with Akemi, Although he originally was using her to get into the Black Organization
I think there was a conversation back in Kir's arc, they talked about how Akemi's death affected him since he really fell in love her.

Akemi Knew she was being used by him and was asked why she didn't leave him since she found out his motive, but she hinted that her love for him is the reason why she stayed with him despite figuring out he wasn't serious about her.

I personally think that he actually fell in love with her, one reason is that he kept the last message he got from her before her death. He does show that he feels guilty, and especially towards her younger sister (Shiho) Haibara.
GIN X SHIHO <3<3<3
VERMOUTH IS SEXY AS HELL !!

Elena Miyano and Atsushi ..... APTX 4869 & Silver Bullet
Tenken
User avatar
Posts: 321

Contact:

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby Tenken » December 21st, 2017, 8:46 pm

Thanks.

I only remember that James or Jodie talked about how Akai had cut his long hair after Akemi's death. He does feel a tremendous guilt and I think he does have some emotions for her. She had touched him on an emotional level. But whether he felt/feels romantic love for her, I don't know, because the guilty feeling can be even bigger because he knew she loved him and he couldn't return her love or didn't feel the same.
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 532

Contact:

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby Serinox » December 21st, 2017, 11:15 pm

Akai really loved Akemi, he says as much in that little flashback sequence we get in Chapter 677, where he breaks up with Jodie during the undercover operation because he fell in love with Akemi.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1384

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » December 22nd, 2017, 4:05 am

Serinox wrote:Akai really loved Akemi, he says as much in that little flashback sequence we get in Chapter 677, where he breaks up with Jodie during the undercover operation because he fell in love with Akemi.


Yep.

File 677, Page 5, Panel 3–Panel 5
Panel 3
Jodie: "You mean Akemi Miyano? The person involved in the Organization you mentioned before?"
Shuichi/Dai: "Yes... that's why I want to end it with you."

Panel 4
Jodie: "W-wait a minute! You're doing it as a part of your undercover job, right? You don't have to break up with me..."
Shuichi/Dai: "This is an organization that won't be destroyed even if I sacrifice you..."

Panel 5
Shuichi/Dai: "I'm not that capable of a person... to love two women at the same time..."
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1189

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby MeiTanteixX » December 22nd, 2017, 7:38 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:Akai really loved Akemi, he says as much in that little flashback sequence we get in Chapter 677, where he breaks up with Jodie during the undercover operation because he fell in love with Akemi.


Yep.

File 677, Page 5, Panel 3–Panel 5
Panel 3
Jodie: "You mean Akemi Miyano? The person involved in the Organization you mentioned before?"
Shuichi/Dai: "Yes... that's why I want to end it with you."

Panel 4
Jodie: "W-wait a minute! You're doing it as a part of your undercover job, right? You don't have to break up with me..."
Shuichi/Dai: "This is an organization that won't be destroyed even if I sacrifice you..."

Panel 5
Shuichi/Dai: "I'm not that capable of a person... to love two women at the same time..."
I'm not sure if that can really be taken as him confessing that he loves her. He says that he is not capable of loving two women at the same time, meaning that he can't be a lover for jodie while at the same time being a lover for Akemi as a part of his infiltration. So, whether his love for Akemi really was genuine or not, it's in my opinion more up in the air that this specific statement confirms anything.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1384

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » December 22nd, 2017, 12:17 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:Akai really loved Akemi, he says as much in that little flashback sequence we get in Chapter 677, where he breaks up with Jodie during the undercover operation because he fell in love with Akemi.


Yep.

File 677, Page 5, Panel 3–Panel 5
Panel 3
Jodie: "You mean Akemi Miyano? The person involved in the Organization you mentioned before?"
Shuichi/Dai: "Yes... that's why I want to end it with you."

Panel 4
Jodie: "W-wait a minute! You're doing it as a part of your undercover job, right? You don't have to break up with me..."
Shuichi/Dai: "This is an organization that won't be destroyed even if I sacrifice you..."

Panel 5
Shuichi/Dai: "I'm not that capable of a person... to love two women at the same time..."
I'm not sure if that can really be taken as him confessing that he loves her. He says that he is not capable of loving two women at the same time, meaning that he can't be a lover for jodie while at the same time being a lover for Akemi as a part of his infiltration. So, whether his love for Akemi really was genuine or not, it's in my opinion more up in the air that this specific statement confirms anything.


Another instance, then:

File 599, Page 11, Panel 4–Panel 5
Panel 4
James: "Even after realizing the FBI had used her, [Akemi] couldn't forget about him."

Panel 5
James: "Judging from the way Akai reacted to her death..."
Jodie: "I know. He was in love with her, too."

Yes, until it comes straight from Shuichi's mouth, it can be technically classified as "we don't truly know."

But do you really think Gosho's gonna have him say, "Nah, I wasn't in love with her."?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1189

Re: Did Akai really love Akemi?

Postby MeiTanteixX » December 23rd, 2017, 6:03 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:Another instance, then:

File 599, Page 11, Panel 4–Panel 5
Panel 4
James: "Even after realizing the FBI had used her, [Akemi] couldn't forget about him."

Panel 5
James: "Judging from the way Akai reacted to her death..."
Jodie: "I know. He was in love with her, too."
Yup, that's better. This addresses his feelings towards her directly.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests