Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,006–1,00X

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Regre

You Never Know

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,006–1,00X

Postby Regre » October 4th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I don't know if anyone here talked about this, but what will we get if we get to know RUM's identity. I mean I sure want to know who the No 2 of the organization is. However, like
Vermouth, Bourbon, Gin and Vodka, we already know how they look and so does Conan. But since episode one, this led to nothing major in terms of bringing down the BO. Honestly, I don't think a significant BO development will come out of this since the main focus seems to be the 'identity' and not the collapse of the BO. I fear that even if we get to know who RUM is, the situation will remain as it was when we knew who Bourbon was. Sure, Bourbon is associated with some interesting threads like Elena Miyano and Vermouth's relationship with the boss, but are these significant to bringing down the BO?
ShadowNeo

Fear of death is worse than death Itself.

Postby ShadowNeo » October 4th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Well I personally would say (and believe) that it is some kind of puzzle (talking about bringing down the BO), since you can't just take one piece and solve the puzzle, you need multiple pieces (sometimes small and big ones) to solve a whole puzzle, so after revealing identity after identity, ally after ally, enemy after enemy, in the end all of them sould(!) be relevant to bringing down the BO.
"Fear of death is worse than death Itself"
Detective Magic

Postby Detective Magic » October 4th, 2017, 4:10 pm

I agree with @ShadowNeo, but also a bit with @Regre. (This tagging thing doesn't seem to work but whatever). For now discovering identities of Vermouth, Kir, Bourbon seemingly didn't give us anything. But like @DCUniverseAficionado has been often saying lately - it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. Like many other people have said it's like puzzles. First you solve for example the frame (I often do it like that ;) ), then you solve one part, then another and then it's like "Oh, shock! I can connect them!". For me it was a surprise that Bourbon knew Elena - the two parts of the puzzle start to connect. There are many other situations like that.

And for the file:
Spoiler:
-We again get Conan with a cold (it seems like it's happening quite often after transformation cases)
-We also see suspicious, shining glasses Rumi who for me looks kinda funny :)
-Poor Subaru. He has to somehow deal with all these reporters ;)
-I wonder if something bigger will come out of the DB investigation, but I'm not counting on it
-Yaaay! Don't know why but I like seeing Conan and Haibara panicking like that. :D (too many emojis) How will they deal with it?
-I wonder if we're going to see Wakita and Kuroda in this case too. It would be nice but if not then it's to be expected, so I won't be dissappointed
-Do you think we will discover the identity of this Kudo freak? Or will he turn out to be someone not important?
Kor

Postby Kor » October 4th, 2017, 6:19 pm

But the problem is it's not a puzzle. Gosho didn't construct a gigantic puzzle, he just takes a really long time to move on from one mystery to the next mystery, even though said mysteries may not even prove to be important or worthwhile to the narrative in the long run.
The "plot" mysteries are made up as they go along, and sure, you can connect those later mysteries to earlier ones, but it's not a well constructed puzzle as much as it's just designed to keep the series running for as long as possible.

Conan isn't closer to taking down the BO (one of his prime goals in the series) than he was ten years ago. Would knowing the 2nd in command of the organisation finally move him forward? Maybe, who knows, but Conan now vs Conan 10 years ago is exactly at the same place (and it's not helping he's not even trying to take down the BO at this point as much as sitting on his butt and stuff conveniently happens around him).
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 5th, 2017, 12:03 am

Kor wrote:The "plot" mysteries are made up as they go along...

Meaning the plot is changed and/or up-in-the-air week to week, and there's no long-term planning?...

Kor wrote:But the problem is it's not a puzzle. Gosho didn't construct a gigantic puzzle...

...or have the sheer length + narrative/character choices just taken 2007–present DC to a point where even just a constructed (whether it's considered well constructed or not) puzzle doesn't seem like a puzzle that was built/constructed at all, but rather, nothing more than a series of loose, coincidental connections that have been dragged out (a mile wide) yet rushed (an inch deep), to the point that the overall product becomes mediocre or worse?
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on October 5th, 2017, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
K.O.R.N

Postby K.O.R.N » October 5th, 2017, 12:05 am

The good thing is Conan has come closer to BO than he did 10 years ago. His goal of making Kogoro a famous detective has a meaning behind it. And now, Kogoro has accepted the offer to look into the Kouji case, a case that is directly related to BO. This, as a result will attract BO and so that's one way Conan can learn about BO's moves and such. And Kogoro, a very suspicious figure, as noted by Gin, and possibly Rum also knows that Kogoro will investigate this case later on, and now is on the move. And through this Kouji case, coincidentally he gets to know that Rum was the culprit behind it. Plot convenience, sure, but he just knew some more info from BO. Most recently, Shinichi's identity appears on the news, and it's worldwide news. Thus, this will definitely draw BO closer to him, as a way to lure them out. BO's motto is to hide and maintain the secrecy of the organization at all costs (explains why MPD doesn't know of them at all and only top secret agents, or international agencies know about their existence. Against such a mysterious organization like this, drawing them out of their cave is an excellent strategic move from Conan. The step he's at now is still gathering info, before he and his allies launch a final attack.

Upon reading 1006 today I have strong hope for further plot progression, because of several reasons.
The DCTP spirit has been revived! For those of you who don't know, I, Spimer, Tantei-san and Startold have been remaking old DC chapters and uploading them to Bato.to. We work as a team, and it's been going great! I'm very happy to be able to gather a new DCTP scanlation generation to restore the fire! Our goal is to remake around 450 chapters total, with better scans and translations from Spimer!
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 5th, 2017, 12:12 am

@K.O.R.N:

It really depends on this:

Kor wrote:Would knowing the 2nd in command of the organisation finally move him forward?

Will the Rum arc, upon later reflection, prove to be the beginning of the end of DC? That's the hope.

With 1,006 now out, we're at File #108 of the Rum arc (and at Case #32 of the Rum arc). Let's look at the File #108, when it comes to the past 4 arcs:

• Vermouth arc (File 108 of 200): File 345 (Hooligan's Labyrinth, Case #33 of the Vermouth arc's 59 total cases)
  • Cell Phone arc: This arc was only 61 files long, so File #108 doesn't apply, here
  • Kir arc (File 108 of 122): File 607 (Magic Spell of Friday the 13th, Case #34 of the Kir arc's 37 total cases)
  • Bourbon arc (File 108 of 277): File 729 (The Secret Played by the Diary, Case #34 of the Bourbon arc's 80 total cases)

So we may either be very close to a resolution (15 Files or so from resolution), or we're just under halfway there (170 Files or so from resolution). The point between those two extremes would be about 77 Files or so (File 1,083)—that would make the Rum arc 185 Files long, which is around the length of the Vermouth arc (200 Files) and the Pre-Mystery Train part of the Bourbon arc (203 Files).
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 5th, 2017, 6:10 am

Rumi and Subaru are finally in the same case.
First thing we get is her interest in Agasa's neighbor.
Spoiler:
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
S.Vineyard

Postby S.Vineyard » October 5th, 2017, 7:04 am

Good observation.

Spoiler:
So you think, she might be in league with Amuro?
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 5th, 2017, 8:15 am

S.Vineyard wrote:Good observation.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I suspect that she is Vermouth at the moment, so in that sense, yes.
Last edited by MeiTanteixX on October 5th, 2017, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Image Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » October 5th, 2017, 8:17 am

Spoiler:
I don't think this means anything. I mean, Amuro made a recce when he was after Akai, and back then he said that Agasa could bring shame to MI6, so it is natural that he knows Agasa. In fact I would say that Amuro talking to Vermouth specially omitted that part that Okiya lives in Shinichi's house, in the house the BO killed its owner.

EDIT:

MeiTanteixX wrote:
S.Vineyard wrote:Good observation.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I suspect that she is Vermouth at the moment, so in that sense, yes.

Spoiler:
I doubt that too. Vermouth pretty well knows who Shinichi is and where she can find him. She doesn't need to ask Haibara (and Vermouth also knows who exactly Haibara is) about Conan at all.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 5th, 2017, 8:26 am

Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
I doubt that too. Vermouth pretty well knows who Shinichi is and where she can find him. She doesn't need to ask Haibara (and Vermouth also knows who exactly Haibara is) about Conan at all.
Spoiler:
just because she started the conversation by mentioning "Shinichi" doesn't necessarily mean that she wanted info on him. If she wanted info on Subaru without being obvious about her interest, that would be the natural way to start the conversation(especially with the latest news being the excuse). Haibara cut her short though.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image

Nemomon

Postby Nemomon » October 5th, 2017, 8:53 am

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
just because she started the conversation by mentioning "Shinichi" doesn't necessarily mean that she wanted info on him. If she wanted info on Subaru without being obvious about her interest, that would be the natural way to start the conversation(especially with the latest news being the excuse). Haibara cut her short though.

Spoiler:
Maybe, although it doesn't look like that. She asked specially about him, and not Subaru, and in theory she should not know that Subaru even lives in there. And she knows that Haibara is Sherry in reality, so that she isn't stupid at all. If she wanted to know about Subaru, she probably should not ask about Shinichi, but rather that she heard that Shinichi is dead, but she often sees a light in the house or something, and was curious if someone else lives there.
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 5th, 2017, 11:04 am

Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
Maybe, although it doesn't look like that.
Spoiler:
If it doesn't look like it, then wouldn't that mean she succeeded in hiding her true intentions?(like she always does)
Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
She asked specially about him, and not Subaru, and in theory she should not know that Subaru even lives in there.
Spoiler:
It's vermouth, who knows everything about Shinichi's family and who once visited Agasa's house as Araide. Just knowing that Subaru is Agasa's next-door neighbor shouldn't take any effort to figure out that he lives in the abandoned house of Kudo.
Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
And she knows that Haibara is Sherry in reality, so that she isn't stupid at all.
Spoiler:
You don't have to be stupid to not know that the info you are giving could hurt someone in the long-run.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image

Nemomon

Postby Nemomon » October 5th, 2017, 1:13 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
She asked specially about him, and not Subaru, and in theory she should not know that Subaru even lives in there.
Spoiler:
It's vermouth, who knows everything about Shinichi's family and who once visited Agasa's house as Araide. Just knowing that Subaru is Agasa's next-door neighbor shouldn't take any effort to figure out that he lives in the abandoned house of Kudo.

Spoiler:
I meant that she as RUMI should not know that Subaru lives there. If she wants to keep her cover, she should act as what Rumi might know or heard about. Surely Rumi doesn't know about Subaru, so if she wants some info about him, she should ask about "someone who lives in Kudo's house".

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
Spoiler:
And she knows that Haibara is Sherry in reality, so that she isn't stupid at all.
Spoiler:
You don't have to be stupid to not know that the info you are giving could hurt someone in the long-run.

Spoiler:
Again You read my words from a wrong perspective. I meant that Vermouth (knowing that she talks with Sherry) knows that she must act very carefully, and that Haibara is not an ordinary kid that will believe in everything You will say them. For this reason she knows that she must think twice for each question she will ask Haibara, because there is a risk that she will see through the cover (like recently Conan did during the hangman case, and Vermouth exactly knew that Conan saw through her).

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”