Discussion thread: Detective Conan 1000-1005

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 1000-10XX

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 13th, 2017, 6:07 am

saorin wrote:I do understand if people are not interested in that part of the manga, but listening to people complain about this over and over again as if this would change anything about the way the manga was designed to be is just getting unnerving.

Also, I've gotten the impression (or this might be DCUniverseAficionado's optimism finally rubbing off) that this is actually a starting point for many good plot developments. With the density of hints, I am almost sure that Shinichi on TV will be addressed and I am also pretty sure Sera is gonna act on her newly-won hints (or confirmations) at a point in time not too far away (speaking in DC standards). And I am also not giving up on Ran's suspicions just because of
Spoiler:
the kiss.
We've gotten so many of Shinichi bloopers and Ran's "this is weird" impressions in the last 4 chapters that I am taking them at face value. I don't believe they just served comic relief - we've had enough of that already. This scene is not necessarily destroying her current (presumed) stance on the Shinichi-Conan situation and it can still be in-character.

So, while 1000+ might not have had that instant "boom", I am willing to believe that this is actually leading up to something and that 1000 will turn out to be the starting point for several developments that are gonna be interesting. I probably would have found it rather out of place if 1000 had been massive without proper buildup before that.

Also, I am very happy about file 1004 and I freely admit that. (´°ω°`)

I don't think that's why there is complaining and criticism. For those who feel DC is coming up short, it's necessary and/or desired expression and/or explanation as to just why DC is coming up short.

Indeed—this is all about DC's current standards of "a point in time not too far away," as you put it. But I'd advise you to continually ask yourself about how each passing case affects this impression—if you don't like something, or something else takes too long, then you may end up with a new impression, optimistic or otherwise, and that's okay, too. But, hey, this is me being really speculative, and perhaps looking too far into the future, so take this advice as you like.

As am I. ;D

S.Vineyard wrote:@Sera: Don't really think there will be an immidiate follow up. Remember that she's apparently still following Mary's orders, who is not trusting Conan.

We've still yet to get Mary's reason for asking Masumi to keep her guard up—what about Shinichi/Conan, now, is different from him 10 years ago, in her eyes?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
S.Vineyard

Postby S.Vineyard » September 13th, 2017, 7:00 am

I have a translation question about Shinichi's thoughts on Page 15 of 1004:

In the Yunnie Translation he calls it an "Unpleasant case". In the BSI Translation he calls it a "lame case".

I know both translations are from Yunnie, but what was the exact wording?

Plus, it would be actually funny if Gosho makes in universe fun of the case. (Wouldn't be the first time, thought..)
Glacierfairy

Postby Glacierfairy » September 13th, 2017, 7:09 am

I guess I'm still new to Detective Conan, because I have yet to become cynical about its direction. That being said, I feel that it is high time for Ran to be let in the loop regarding Conan/Shinichi, preferably by deducing it herself. Continuing to drag this out would be a disservice to both parties, and I'm sure a Conan without this perennial concern about keeping his identity secret would actually function better in his quest against the BO (well, after being thoroughly trounced by Ran, but he really deserved it). I would be really happy if this case as well as all those involving Ran after her last suspicion arc is just a setup for her to piece the truth. One can only hope.
S.Vineyard

Postby S.Vineyard » September 13th, 2017, 7:39 am

My interest was actually also revitalised lately.

The Hiatus Time and the Time, when DCTP had to give up their translations created a bit of a hole.

But lately, I managed to catch up by binge reading the cases, I've missed. And actually, I don't see a quality decline. It's normal Gosho Aoyama Dc as it always was.

But after such long time, It's understandable that people want to have things turned a bit around.

And Gosho did actually deliver, by showing a Shinran love confession far sooner than everybody thought. (Most people thought it would happen at the end of the series.)
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » September 13th, 2017, 9:53 am

Glacierfairy wrote:I guess I'm still new to Detective Conan, because I have yet to become cynical about its direction. That being said, I feel that it is high time for Ran to be let in the loop regarding Conan/Shinichi, preferably by deducing it herself. Continuing to drag this out would be a disservice to both parties, and I'm sure a Conan without this perennial concern about keeping his identity secret would actually function better in his quest against the BO (well, after being thoroughly trounced by Ran, but he really deserved it). I would be really happy if this case as well as all those involving Ran after her last suspicion arc is just a setup for her to piece the truth. One can only hope.

Don't worry, it won't take too long to become cynical about DC.

I wonder after Ran would find out that Shinichi was with her all the time and has seen her naked several times, if she would still stay with him oor maybe she would kick him from her house and say "never again say a word to me"...
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Kor

Postby Kor » September 13th, 2017, 10:50 am

S.Vineyard wrote:And Gosho did actually deliver, by showing a Shinran love confession far sooner than everybody thought. (Most people thought it would happen at the end of the series.)

Apparent psychic abilities aside, no, I don't think that is true at all. Ran replying to the confession has been on hold since basically the London thing, and that was like 250 chapters ago, way back in 2010. Gosho dragged this one out just like most other things.
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » September 13th, 2017, 10:56 am

Leaving another chapter (1005) for this case is pretty strange for Gosho. I wonder what he will do. I think there will be something with Momiji who insofar has done nothing for DC manga-wise even for a romantic relationship. Heiji-Kazuha stuff still stuck as ever and if there is nothing happen with her next chapter, she should be gone from DC for good. Someone can hope from Masumi but I should should not keep my hope up too much. Man, I miss Rumi and Kuroda.
Kudo Shinchi

No comment......

Postby Kudo Shinchi » September 13th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Nemomon wrote:
Glacierfairy wrote:I guess I'm still new to Detective Conan, because I have yet to become cynical about its direction. That being said, I feel that it is high time for Ran to be let in the loop regarding Conan/Shinichi, preferably by deducing it herself. Continuing to drag this out would be a disservice to both parties, and I'm sure a Conan without this perennial concern about keeping his identity secret would actually function better in his quest against the BO (well, after being thoroughly trounced by Ran, but he really deserved it). I would be really happy if this case as well as all those involving Ran after her last suspicion arc is just a setup for her to piece the truth. One can only hope.

Don't worry, it won't take too long to become cynical about DC.

It depends on the person, I think. I've been following DC for more than a decade and haven't become cynical yet. More critical, maybe, but certainly not cynical.

This has been said before, but I think we should resist the temptation to assume that "everybody" thinks a certain thing about DC based on personal opinions or the opinions of a subset of fandom. Let's not conflate the preferences of the English-speaking fandom with those of the Japanese fandom, or the preferences of the DCTP forum with the English-speaking fandom as a whole.

Kor brings up a good point about the diversification of online discussion platforms for the DC fandom. There hasn't been much enthusiasm for the Kyoto arc around these parts, which is fine, but it's been well-received elsewhere (and not just because those places have more Shinran shippers). I think it's a bit unfortunate that fans have dispersed in so many directions: I think this forum would be more lively and more exciting, as it was in the older days, if there was more variety of opinion (not that it doesn't exist now, there's just less of it).
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 13th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Kor wrote:Ran replying to the confession has been on hold since basically the London thing, and that was like 250 chapters ago, way back in 2010. Gosho dragged this one out just like most other things.

But...

S.Vineyard wrote:And Gosho did actually deliver, by showing a Shinran love confession far sooner than everybody thought. (Most people thought it would happen at the end of the series.)

...he exceeded expectations for those who thought a case like this would be at the end of the series. I think 7 years is pretty good by current pacing standards—especially for those who, say, thought it'd take 14 years for her to respond.

Nemomon wrote:Don't worry, it won't take too long to become cynical about DC.

How long did it take for that to be the case for you?

Kudo Shinchi wrote:It depends on the person, I think. I've been following DC for more than a decade and haven't become cynical yet. More critical, maybe, but certainly not cynical.

This has been said before, but I think we should resist the temptation to assume that "everybody" thinks a certain thing about DC based on personal opinions or the opinions of a subset of fandom. Let's not conflate the preferences of the English-speaking fandom with those of the Japanese fandom, or the preferences of the DCTP forum with the English-speaking fandom as a whole.

Kor brings up a good point about the diversification of online discussion platforms for the DC fandom. There hasn't been much enthusiasm for the Kyoto arc around these parts, which is fine, but it's been well-received elsewhere (and not just because those places have more Shinran shippers). I think it's a bit unfortunate that fans have dispersed in so many directions: I think this forum would be more lively and more exciting, as it was in the older days, if there was more variety of opinion (not that it doesn't exist now, there's just less of it).

So, what does your critical eye make of this case, Kudo Shinichi? (Talk about something one would actually say to the series protagonist... ;D)

Yeah, this is exactly why, when talking about this, I've been focused on the group that is those who post in the Story Discussion thread(s)—like this thread, —on DCTP, because that's what this is. The SS Super poll about DC's best cases had Scarlet Showdown as #1. Can you imagine that being the case on here?

This forum was most active back in December 2010 (two months after the end of Holmes' Revelation), right? With over 500 users? I guess they'll come back if they hear that DC is actually ending. A lot of them only post in the discussion threads that have to do with anything but DC, right? Veterans like Yuriko-chan, Conia and Jd, just to name a few off the top of my head (the latter actually came back to threads like this for the Kogoro-Shiho/Ai case back in July 2015, if I recall correctly). Next year is DCTP's 10th year anniversary, right? If nothing else, this site has brought DC fans together, even if they're not focused on DC, or think it's gone downhill so much that it's no longer worth their time—we can celebrate that, certainly. :)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior

*punches Akonyl*

Postby Kleene Onigiri » September 13th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Woooow, this case was really incredibly lame.
The case/murder itself and also the interaction between the characters. Usually, at least one of those aspects was at least decent or good. But this time? Bleh.... (and I'm usually optimistic)

Kor wrote:

Apparent psychic abilities aside, no, I don't think that is true at all. Ran replying to the confession has been on hold since basically the London thing, and that was like 250 chapters ago, way back in 2010. Gosho dragged this one out just like most other things.

Wow, so long? D:
Imagine when Shinichi asks her out on a date then.... like in the year 2020 he'll ask. Ran answers 2030. The actual date will be 2050.
And then, after some more dates, Shinichi asks Ran to marry her! Like the Year 2090. And Ran answers to that 2150 and the actual wedding will be 2325 O_O
NVM them actually getting children.... this will be in the year 3350....
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3

Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)

3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
Kor

Postby Kor » September 13th, 2017, 4:40 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Kor wrote:Ran replying to the confession has been on hold since basically the London thing, and that was like 250 chapters ago, way back in 2010. Gosho dragged this one out just like most other things.

But...

...he exceeded expectations for those who thought a case like this would be at the end of the series.

... so? Am I to praise Gosho for exceeding the expectations of people who aren't me?
Also, the premise you're quoting is flawed. It once again makes up a majority and then psychically knows what said majority thinks, thus concludes that "Gosho did actually deliver".

I think 7 years is pretty good by current pacing standards

7 years is roughly what it took for the entire Bourbon thing to unfold. And since I can't consider that good pacing, no way can I consider "Ran replying to a confession" taking 7 years to be good pacing either.

especially for those who, say, thought it'd take 14 years for her to respond.

And such pacing must be extremely good for those who thought it'd take 28 years for her to respond. Thing is these 14 and 28 people are completely made up, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone should approach the text from the eyes of made-up people? (It's also not a really good argument in the first place. Implying it's good because it could have taken longer is just like saying a thing is better because it could have been worse).
Spimer

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Postby Spimer » September 13th, 2017, 5:03 pm

@S. Vineyard. According to Serinox, "unpleasant" didn't fit in the bubble so they ended up with "lame" although it possibly was a mistake since they could've used "sad" instead.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
S.Vineyard

Postby S.Vineyard » September 13th, 2017, 6:25 pm

@Spimer:

Thanks. I just found it a bit irritating, specially since it actually seems a bit rude to say that.

Anyway @Shinran:

I've already given some thoughts to this on the last page, that this time Shinichi might have a hard time to be Conan again after 2 days as his old self..
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 13th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Let's see now... Chapter 1003, continuation from the rampaging tengu masked guys and the second murder.
Hmm the cover page is kind of unintentionally interesting, we have 1. Shinichi, 2. Heiji, 3. Masumi and behind them the 4 squares. Rosy Brown Traces is probably related to a clue.
Hmm. Riki, Mineto and Keiko are behind them all and the lab guys are there already... So some time must have passed.
Basically the whole thing was staged if even the guys screaming about the tengus were hired. A risky plan. So all 3 of them went to the WC and Ihaya decided to not go. He said he'd go to where Keiko is but she says he didn't come back but there was a time frame when she left to the bathroom too which might have given him the chance to sneak out.
Mineto left the boys bathroom first while Agata stayed behind... It seems like Momiji is afraid of supernatural stuff too. Shinichi notices some traces on the ground. It seems like that "fence" had been moved, but I'm not sure how you can really make footprints appear just because of that. It'd take some time to swap the fence with another too.

Nooo, wtf? Shinichi thought he was Conan. Holy crap... That's actually pretty ridicilous. Shinichi becomes flustered and Ran pays attention to it too. And Masumi. And Sonoko. Atleast Heiji plays it off cool.
It seems like we have yet another cipher in the house inside the victim's pocket. Those aralia leaves are probably just there for show.

These panels with all of the detectives and the inspector are pretty nice. It seems like there's not much else they have figured about the cipher other than it being connected to the suicide jumper Dekuri. Heiji's phone is ringing whooo could it be... Kazuha yells at him and it seems his lie got exposed. Damn Heiji just can't catch a break. He probably shouldn't have lied to her. This is damn hilarious though. The TV is dangerous but LMAO! Heiji's lines always make me laugh. Would have been funny to see Shinichi start laughing at that nonsense he came up with too. Although Shinichi's reaction to him is comical to look at too. The last thing Heiji says to Kazuha on the phone is "don't tell mom and dad."

Momiji notices that the ciphers clues resemble Kyoto`s street names hmm... I`m not sure other than maybe they`re clues about go left through that street and right through that... Momiji takes Heiji`s phone to talk to Kazuha. It`s basically a love triangle type of thing she tries to have going there. Kazuha`s school has ended so it gives us again sort of time frame to how much time has passed without actually saying it out loud.
Because Dekuri supposedly created those letters, I guess the killer is kind of using them as guides.

So we finally get to learn more of Dekuri, Dekuri Michio. The whole group was part of different programs but were part of the SFX research club which ties to the Tengu appearance in the room. Basically they all knew about SFX`s and Dekuri being part of a manga club seems to be of importance. They claim that they all tried to help Dekuri the best they could but Keiko says Agata was the only one who was actually useful.

Earlier we learned that Dekuri is not named as part of the group who created the C.S.T. movie despite the original script coming from the group's university days. Shinichi asks about this and they`re all very quiet about answering it. The rest of the pagesort of explains the killer`s motive for sure. Basically Dekuri drew a manga which was the C.S.T. Dekuri declined their offer for using the manga for the movie but they were running out of time before the deadline... Nishiki was worried about the script, Dekuri started screaming when they showed the movie, and he said he doesn`t want to be a part of it, calling them all traitors... Maybe Nishiki had edited the script so much that it caused Dekuri to leave the club. Mineto says that Dekuri actually called him, saying that his name could still be put somewhere in the movie if they remake it. Dekuri said he quit trying to be mangaka and decided to work somewhere at a small place. I assume this is years after their university days, before his suicide in the present.
Dekuri did a suicide when he didn`t see his name on the screen... His life must have been hell if that was the last push over the cliff. Heiji, Shinichi and Masumi are with the police while rest are outside. Ran wants to talk with Okita while blushing? Uhhuh.

Talk about the devil. Okita is right there with the kendo club members to beat up evil tengudoers. Momiji doesn`t seem to care about him too much. Ran takes him away and.. Whispers something mysterious? I can`t imagine what though from his reaction. Is he going to play Shinichi or something?

Oh dang we in Los Angeles now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0nSkSxA3E
Yukiko and Yusaku spending some quality time at some top class apartment. Probably a hotel. Yukiko says Keiko's real name is Kyoko? Ahh she uses her stage name instead of real name. Nishiki and Mayama also have some tengu related stage names.
Yusaku is ahead of everyone once again. It seems that Keiko loved Dekuri. I wonder if we'll learn of how he came to this conclusion while looking at a coffee cup because Shinichi gets a mysterious message from Sonoko which says... Well it shows Ran talking with Okita.
Heiji sees the photo, says "let's go" and Shinichi sits there on the ground "go where?" don't know why that seems kind of comical..

So they're going somewhere because Nishiki tried to order a smoking room, all were already reserved but all of a sudden during the call one room order was cancelled... Ahah. I can see where this is going: the culprit was in the same building as Nishiki when he tried to order a room, a culprit that smokes.
The receptionist confirms this. But Heiji immediately brings up Agata's room too right away, so eh... It seems another smoking room was canceled again right after Nishiki's. Everyone gathered at Nishiki's room to book rooms at the same time.

Masumi brings up the tengu appearing in Agata's room and glue-like substance on the ceiling does indeed sound suspicious. Imprint of the chair in the room, Agata's cigarettes leaving burnt marks 3cm in size and an extra pillow in the middle of the bed were the most suspicious parts. The pillow could have contained something in it.
Lol. Shinichi noticed that something was off right now. He tries to think but in the back of his head there's the names of Okita and Ran appearing. Shinichi realised that there was something too much there?

The chapter ends with Shinichi starting to transform already. So he figured out the culprit and asks the inspector to do something for him, something embarassing...

What a nice ending for a chapter, that's pretty cool how it feels as a transition to whatever is going to happen after this. Next chapter will probably be the end of the case but there's definitely going to be more to this whole thing because we still need evidence and after getting the culprit, more with the main characters. It's interesting to see how Shinichi's mind is corrupted from his time as Conan.
Last edited by k11chi on September 13th, 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiyonder

Postby Antiyonder » September 13th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Kor wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:

But...

...he exceeded expectations for those who thought a case like this would be at the end of the series.

... so? Am I to praise Gosho for exceeding the expectations of people who aren't me?
Also, the premise you're quoting is flawed. It once again makes up a majority and then psychically knows what said majority thinks, thus concludes that "Gosho did actually deliver".

I think 7 years is pretty good by current pacing standards

7 years is roughly what it took for the entire Bourbon thing to unfold. And since I can't consider that good pacing, no way can I consider "Ran replying to a confession" taking 7 years to be good pacing either.

especially for those who, say, thought it'd take 14 years for her to respond.

And such pacing must be extremely good for those who thought it'd take 28 years for her to respond. Thing is these 14 and 28 people are completely made up, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone should approach the text from the eyes of made-up people? (It's also not a really good argument in the first place. Implying it's good because it could have taken longer is just like saying a thing is better because it could have been worse).

Agreed pretty much. Just because it could be worse doesn't mean that it's a good move. Especially as stated before:
1. I feel like at best the confession arc in London is Gosho to a degree recognizing that ShinRan needed a shake up since things between them have been the same for almost two decades, and the latter doesn't really make the best of her screentime.

But as demonstrated throughout the stories leading up to the confession, aside from mentions of how Ran will respond to the confession she hasn't done anything drastically new from the confession to the kiss.

As such the whole thing stinks of trying to shake things up, but not wanting to go far enough that the bulk of chapters following won't be able to ignore the change so easily, compared to say a certain change that some of us felt should have occurred even before the Bourbon arc.

Heck, I've often compared Desperate Revival to The Shiragami arc to demonstrate that even if the statuo quo was always god, the former tried to at least provide a great illusion covering the fact, while the latter pretty much beats you over the head with the fact with a hammer.

The London arc feels like an attempt to craft such an illusion, but it aside from the locale and the confession, not much else. The Desperate Revival in contrast really goes the extra mile as much as a static continuity can go:
A. Conan for the first and only time considers sharing his secret with Ran without duress (i.e. The Shinkansen's Bomb Case had him only doing so because his secret wouldn't matter if luck didn't prevail).
B. The Detective Boys having to finish a case without Conan.
C. Kazuha meeting Shinichi for the first time and realizing that he isn't a girl that Heiji is hot over. Because obviously homosexuality is nearly non-existent in-universe ::).
D. And for the first time since the beginning Shinichi honestly believes he will get resume his life after his body's first bit of pain results in no reverting. Compare that to any following revival stories where he knows it's only a matter of time before Conan is back.
E. And lets face it, the best attempt to throw Ran's suspicions off.

2. It is unpredictable sure, but compared to the potential new stories that we could have gotten in place with a bigger change, it feels more like a half a handful of chicken feed not even enough for a single chick. Now if the London arc was something planned for years like in the way that Haibara's appearance was foreshadowed early as Volume 2 before appearing in 18, as opposed to conceived later like Sera, well it depends.

Had the series been shorter, sure it might have made for a nice detour, but by 500 chapters? This is the kind of thing that would prompt a good writer to swallow their pride and changes their plans as it would service the character in question better to go from someone who is merely a token potential love interest to an ally against a criminal organization as opposed to taking 250 chapters to have a love confession and another 250 to actually follow it up.

Especially when the lead character who gets the kiss needs more comeuppance for his mistakes before getting some levity. I mean she's responding favorably despite the consideration that he's lying about his whereabouts, plus the confession is preceded by him trying to run off and then referring to her as a distraction when his own misfortune is self-inflicted.

3. As to the degree of Ran returning Shinichi's affection being surprising? I'm not too sure about that. Sure with Shonen titles in general there is an aversion to doing more with a couple beyond the will they/won't they, but Dragon Ball before it arguably showed more risk with actually having an aging protagonist, making him a husband and even a father to two children.

Plus with most Shonen the only thing keeping the couple from enjoying a relationship is the characters in question being afraid to open up their feelings.

In DC, once Shinichi has to go back to being Conan, there isn't much he and Ran can do beyond just talking about the fact that they're official.

As I said before, I'd even be happy to see anything change that wouldn't require ending the series if it had to go on, such as say Kogoro's rate of case solving increasing, plus finding out the secret behind his Sleeping status in either order.

But such a change would require even more of an overhaul of the status quo, and if he's reluctant to be having Ran becoming involved with stopping the Organization, I don't expect a more drastic change.

That said, I feel like Shinichi's confession coupled with Ran's kiss of confirmation while better than the average fair is the opposite extreme of Kogoro improving rapidly as a detective. The latter would in some respects make it an entirely different show (which I wouldn't object to honestly, but at least I can understand the rationale behind this status quo), while the former changes some details present from the start but still being able to keep from changing the story structure drastically.

As such unless there are some drawbacks* that I have yet to acknowledge or consider Ran becoming part of the effort to defeat the Organization is the best compromise in allowing a good chuck of the original structure to remain, while changing enough that the series has a fresh overhaul.

Anyway, I'm going to wait until the upcoming chapter before I post again, but even then I might just carry it over into the series pacing thread.

But to finish, I mean sure there is a chance that he plans to have a suspicion arc that will actually end with a game changer, but even if it's a matter of when rather than if, I don't know. Is there anything that could really be done with the status quo that's fresh, unpredictable and would have the same wow factor of Ran confirming the truth about Conan as well as the Organization? I mean if the confession and response is the best we can expect, I feel cutting it would be a minor loss in return for the bigger gains.

Edit: Since I don't want to go back on what I said, I'm adding a 3rd point here and a footnote.

*Said drawbacks are closing off entirely new stories requiring the old status quo (which arguably the pros of changing them out weigh what we may lose), the change would slowly help Ran and Conan to become closer friends thus removing tension (despite the fact that they still can't act on strong developing feelings of intimacy until Conan is back to legal age and the BO is brought down) and movie goers who don't follow the series would be too confused at the change(despite Vegeta from DBZ changing more drastically and faster).
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.