Shiho's Attempted Suicide

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
bash7353

部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Re: Shiho's Attempted Suicide

Postby bash7353 » May 5th, 2017, 6:42 pm

I've always looked at Haibara's actions as more rational than what you've been describing here. She's the traitor to the Black Organization that they won't stop hunting down until they find her and kill everyone around her. In the time (I know that's a tricky concept in this series) she's spent with Conan, and especially with Ayumi, Genta, and Mitsuhiko, she's grown quite fond of them. Haibara hates the fact that her presence is putting them in grave danger. I don't really share the view that Haibara is doing this because she's emotionally fragile, rather I think she's doing it to protect people she cares about.

When it comes to her initially taking the drug, I think that she did realise that her situation was hopeless, and that regardless of what she does, she'll likely end up dead. At the same time, she did remember the lab rat that wound up an infant rather than dead, and Shinichi whose death couldn't be confirmed, but whose children clothes mysteriously disappeared. I could imagine that she - perhaps only subconsciously - decided that her best chance of surviving is taking the drug.

We don't really know what about the drug and its development Haibara hasn't told Conan, but there are certainly things she's been keeping secret. For all we know Haibara was actually aware that the drug would turn her into child, and is only pretending she took it to commit suicide, so as not to reveal that she knows more about the drug than she's letting on.

I can understand that people look at Haibara's emotional situation, and in the real world would make a lot of sense. Emotions control a big chunk of most people's lives, even if they've been through far less than Haibara has. At the same time, those sorts of themes are not typically addressed in this series.

Raspbryl wrote:Reading too much into things is quite literally in my job description - I would not be a responsible adult if I was lax on the details. My team depends on that - I cant let them down.

What job would that be?
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
Raspbryl

Postby Raspbryl » May 6th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I seeing how emotional she got over the death of her sister as hard as she's tried to hide it - I think there is more irrationality here bubbling under the surface. near the end of 129 where she first appears she has a public breakdown while confronting Conan over not being able to save her sister. Even if there wasn't all that much he could have done regardless of the version you go with. Oh she tried to rationalize the suicides but suicidal people damn near always do - I don't see much of a difference between her thought patterns and my own as I was contemplating the same thing when I was younger.

I would advise against taking everything she does at face value - there is more to her than what she chooses to show the world.

Now as the series went on she's certainly changed and she's clearly not as weighed down by grief as she used to be - even her formerly steely composure has started to melt as those around her help her to open up again. it's been an interesting character arc to watch and I refuse to believe that I'm the only one who noticed. her smiles have gotten more genuine and while wry amusement at the idiocy around her continues its as if its started to endear itself to her... usually.... when Gentas not involved.

bash7353 wrote:
Raspbryl wrote:Reading too much into things is quite literally in my job description - I would not be a responsible adult if I was lax on the details. My team depends on that - I cant let them down.

What job would that be?

Founder of Diamond Dust New Media - Creator of the AA: "Project Sherrinford" Guides as well as the suite of other projects currently under the banner.
Which includes AA: "Project White Toxins" and RED: "Project Fan & Blade"
I also serve as head writer on all of these and lead effects artist on both AA projects as well as several upcoming I'm not at liberty to discuss beyond that they -in fact- exist.
My staff includes several VAs and my lead artist.
"Oh goddammit Rasp" - Anon

Ahococacola Screamer

Postby Ahococacola Screamer » May 13th, 2017, 5:49 am

Shiho has edgy personalities, that's for certain and that is nothing surprising at all, considering what she has been through - her parents' deaths and especially her sister's murder by Gin and now under pursuit of a group of people who really want to kill her.

What has happened to her is very tragic as you can't imagine how much pain it was to go through. Her life's meaning is somewhat diminished because her loved ones are gone so the suicidal thoughts are also something to be expected. Shiho is a character that needs sympathy and respect for the efforts she has put up to live her own life as of now given her decadent past.