Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Post by Kor »

A vocal minority in the fandom of a detective story is essentially insisting that the butler did it. That's the most ironic part for me in the entire discourse.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Kor wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:04 am
A vocal minority in the fandom of a detective story is essentially insisting that the butler did it. That's the most ironic part for me in the entire discourse.
There's a fun story about it. The dialogue ``The Butler did it.`` is attributed to a vengeful Taxi driver....during the long and successful run of the The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie, the supposed driver would urge people for a tip to get them in time. When they didn't pay him the extra money, he would just chant ``The Butler did it.``
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eMousetrap
In the real play there was no Butler.....

TBF this is not the first time.......Wakita is Mary drugger was the most iconic The butler did it moment as far as I'm concerned.
vaibhavgupte

Post by vaibhavgupte »

Kor wrote:
gosho has already done one case in which
"the buttler really did it" lol.
back bunny club case .
another case with rum mention.
and he was buttler of morooka. ooka morooka !!!
vaibhavgupte

Post by vaibhavgupte »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:22 am
Kor wrote:
There's a fun story about it. The dialogue ``The Butler did it.`` is attributed to a vengeful Taxi driver....during the long and successful run of the The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie, the supposed driver would urge people for a tip to get them in time. When they didn't pay him the extra money, he would just chant ``The Butler did it.``
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eMousetrap
In the real play there was no Butler.....

TBF this is not the first time.......Wakita is Mary drugger was the most iconic The butler did it moment as far as I'm concerned.
regarding wakita zerozaki One thing I want to ask you.
I also think he should be tsutomu. but I dont understand
why vermouth dressed as him for 3 years in london.
I dont thing she would have taken such a risk without
tsutomus dead body seen by bo.

another thing about wakita I heard is that he could be
new head of aptx project. he has shown lot of knowledge
of chemistry. plus he roams around with some drops testing
for redox reaction. seems like he is practisng chemist.
this would also justify yaiba hint.
boss close advisor. they may mean advisor related to
aptx project.

what are your view on wakita zerozaki?
Reader

Post by Reader »

It would be ironic out of context, but not here.
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

Both Rumi and Wakita have been foreshadowed as actors appearing in a show. (Meaning that's not their real identity rather just an act.)

he didn't have drops with him, just a copper coin, which is a common coin in Japan.
The idea is he is well versed in handling crime scene and chemical reactions. So a forensic detective of MI6 is more likely, than a BO researcher.
vaibhavgupte

Post by vaibhavgupte »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:56 am
Both Rumi and Wakita have been foreshadowed as actors appearing in a show. (Meaning that's not their real identity rather just an act.)

he didn't have drops with him, just a copper coin, which is a common coin in Japan.
The idea is he is well versed in handling crime scene and chemical reactions. So a forensic detective of MI6 is more likely, than a BO researcher.
even in good quality manga picture I cant tell whether that thing wakita is holding is dropper or coin.
so idk
vaibhavgupte

Post by vaibhavgupte »

bdw one important point I forgot to tell about my theory.
my theory ( muga iori is rum) has an expiry date in real time not conan floating timeline.
This date is 25th december , christmas and friday.
since imo muga iori was introduced at friday 13th near
christmas and christmas is closely linked to rum in his various mentions.
The best date to reveal muga iori as rum is chrstmas and
friday both which happens this year in 2020.
so if my theory is right. i.e. if muga iori is rum . it is to
be revealed on or near christmas.
so if it rum is not revealed till christmas I will also accept
this theory doesnt fit.
although I think there could be a fake rum reveal
probably wakita before it.
also this case was kept short to finish with volume 99.
so we can expect some bo type arc in volume 100 hopefully.
atleast if muga iori is rum.
I know conan timelne is floating but since christmas
was one of few festivals mentioned directly. I think
this may happen.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

vaibhavgupte wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 12:47 am
also this case was kept short to finish with volume 99.
so we can expect some bo type arc in volume 100 hopefully.
This is one thing I also hope for. Vol 100 is the closest milestone, and if nothing happens then, then I guess Gosho's waiting for 1100, which, with the current pace of the manga, won't be reached for at least 2 more years (and a few months).

My main worry is that for the past two years, I don't think Gosho's really progressed the Rum mystery by that much, so dunno if he's dropped all the clues he wanted to before a grand reveal (plus Conan isn't yet aware of all of what we, the readers, know).
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

I think Gosho other than stating the obvious hardly progressed anything.

Before the reveal of the shogi piece we all (who thought the the piece in Rumi's pocket is very unlikely to be glass shard) already got it and also got it's implication.(thanks to Chekov, it's a shame her thread doesn't exist anymore, what happened ?)

Rumi being intertwined with Kohji case also was just stating the obvious. The only plot progress is Rumi seeing Kohji with an open palm and not with a balled fist. Hence someone else took it out and dropped it on the scene to kill its implication. (But that's also stating the obvious, in a way)

Wakita showing exceptional skills in chemistry, crime scene handling and above average English communication skills and abetting Conan to inquire about the shogi piece is also stating the obvious.
Mohamed Ebrahem

Post by Mohamed Ebrahem »

Zero
Already there is possibility that Iori Muga is Asaka but after Hotta Gaito said that Asaka is a woman , I became quite sure that Wakasa Rumi is Asaka , especially I am sure she isn't RUM .
So who Wakasa would be if she wasn't Rum or Asaka ?

vaibhavgupte
But in the episodes 861 862 "Just Like a 17-Year-Old Crime Scene" .
The killer is named Kazunori Senba and his job is a former owner of pastry shop . In my opinion , this is a clear hint that Rum is the former owner of the organization .
The name of the organization is Karasuma Group .
It means that Karasuma Renya is its owner and founder , but we are still in Arc RUM . We were surprised by the appearance of Karasuma Renya in the form of Chikara Katsumata in this arc . So the logical conclusion is Karasuma became number 2 and he is no longer the current boss of the organization , may be because of his mistakes in Kohji case or as another member of the organization is better than him .
The organization has many smart bad people , so do not be surprised if there is a member with number 4 becomes number 3 or number 2 becomes 1 .

Haneda Kohji is a shogi player and this is a shogi player too .

Don't forget that RUM is a person who has a secret identity . Yusako Kudo said that Karasuma Renya is a hidden millionaire .
All I want to reach from my words is that when you search for RUM personality and Karasuma personality , you will find they are the same , such as hidden person , secret identity , time correlation and the three descriptions about RUM which mentioned by haibara .

Iori Muga , with his appearance and behaviours in front of people and us , I don't think he is the fourth hidden suspect that Goshu alludes to , as Iori not
have this characteristic of invisibility and secret identity .
Reader

Post by Reader »

You say, karasuma or Rum has the characteristic of invisibility and secret Identity. The secret Identity you say is chikara katsumatta. This Identity enjoys all the spotlight. Which renders it pretty useless in terms of being secretive.
Now, I don't want to reinforce iori is Rum theory. But from this point of secret Identity, a butler's job looks okay. Just be behind some glamarous ooka member and no one will suspect you.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

well... looking back at past chapter 987, there was an unusual spike from Rumi picked up by both Conan and Haibara when one of the camper mentioned about losing sight and almost had to get a prosthetic.... not to mention Conan sawing her clutching an object (now we know it's Kohji's shogi piece) in her pocket.... so.... that reaction seem to imply that her "impaired" vision may be related to the Kohji case in some way.... otherwise why the strong reaction in clenching the shogi piece when someone else was talking about "impaired vision"... and not to mention in files 1032-34 she was pressing down on her right eye and crouching down on the ground while recalling Kohji's death scene... which seem to further imply that her "impaired eye" may be related to the Kohji incident... Say if she only arrived at the crime scene after everything happened and Kohji was lying on the floor dead (while she happened to pick up the shogi piece from the crime scene) then there is no explanation for what could have caused her eye to be "impaired" and not to mention the scar marks left on her body that appeared to be left from a fight or struggle with someone who held a sharp object... could Rumi have possibly fought with someone else over that shogi piece and the person left her the scars as well as an eye injury? ???

"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
Mohamed Ebrahem

Post by Mohamed Ebrahem »

Reader wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:24 am
You say, karasuma or Rum has the characteristic of invisibility and secret Identity. The secret Identity you say is chikara katsumatta. This Identity enjoys all the spotlight. Which renders it pretty useless in terms of being secretive.
Now, I don't want to reinforce iori is Rum theory. But from this point of secret Identity, a butler's job looks okay. Just be behind some glamarous ooka member and no one will suspect you.
I mean by the secret identity that almost nobody knows shape/form of Karasuma Renya , maybe Karasuma Renya massacred in his palace to get rid of all the people who know him personally .

Now if you are convinced of the theory that Chikara Katsumata is Karasuma Renya
I don't think anyone in Anime Conan , knew this fact from allies other than
Tsutomu Akai , Wakasa Rumi and Bourbon , These three are just my expectations .
vaibhavgupte

Post by vaibhavgupte »

Mohamed Ebrahem wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:09 am
Reader wrote:
I mean by the secret identity that almost nobody knows shape/form of Karasuma Renya , maybe Karasuma Renya massacred in his palace to get rid of all the people who know him personally .

Mohamed Ebrahem wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:09 am
Reader wrote:

chikara being famous ad thus not secretive
doesnt cancel his rum candidature for me coz
I think bo needs to be secretive coz their top people
are famous or connected to famous people directly like iori. exposing their activities may coz trouble to the reputation
of top even without proof .
so this isnt issue with chikara being rum.

two major issues regarding chikara being rum
1) he is famous but he isnt powerful. atleast not shown until now. bo top mmbers need to be powerful given
the knowledge about their nexus with corrupt politicians
like shigehiko nomiguchi in pisco case.
is hard to beleive chikara who is a shogi player can control
politicians. I mean politicians have no reason to listen to him.
unlike iori who can manipulate ooka ( third richest in japan)
to summon tokyo governor.
2) if he is rum, we are deep in rum arc and his character isnt
developed till now. conan hasnt met him.
if conan has to deal with him atleast he has to know him.
plus there is no shock factor as chikara is stranger to conan.
if you are saying his character still has to be developed
then rum arc will last for way long atleast 5 to 8 more years.
which I dont think.
yup he can still be karasuma candidate as this is still rum
arc and maybe his character developmemt occurs in
boss arc.