Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Post by Spimer »

1) There were mentions of "whiskey" in the debut cases of Rumi and Wakita, similar to how there was a mention of "bourbon" in Amuro's debut case, foreshadowing / hinting that he was Bourbon. Whether there's someone named "whiskey" in the BO, it's unknown.

2) The boss is Karasuma Renya, as confirmed by File 1008 and SDB Black+. Maria Higashio is but a classmate of the DBs introduced in a case over 10 years ago but who's barely appeared in the manga. Mostly has been a simple background character with no speaking role. Some people thought that her being in the case with the boss' reveal had some relevance but IMO it's over-stretching things. She just worked as character to introduce the "treasure hunt" story.

3) Iori is just a sidekick to Momiji and it's there for the love triangle plot. He was introduced in a mysterious manner but that was because if he was introduced with his real name (even while disguised) we'd know that he was related to Momiji (due to both of them being inspired by a manga named Chihayafuru). He's not a RUM suspect, as confirmed by SDB Black+.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Spimer wrote:1) There were mentions of "whiskey" in the debut cases of Rumi and Wakita

3) Iori is just a sidekick to Momiji and it's there for the love triangle plot. He was introduced in a mysterious manner but that was because if he was introduced with his real name (even while disguised) we'd know that he was related to Momiji (due to both of them being inspired by a manga named Chihayafuru).
there was no direct mention of "Whiskey" in Wakita's intro.

Momiji was inspired by Chihayafuru. Her surname and "Iori Muga" is an inspiration from Echizen TV show (and Iori seems to be heavily inspired by Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler series).
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

Well, it wasn't directly whisky but it was highball, wasn't it?

Japanese highballs are often made with Japanese whiskeys or mixed with other drinks.
Npaz

Post by Npaz »

Spimer wrote:1) There were mentions of "whiskey" in the debut cases of Rumi and Wakita, similar to how there was a mention of "bourbon" in Amuro's debut case, foreshadowing / hinting that he was Bourbon. Whether there's someone named "whiskey" in the BO, it's unknown.

2) The boss is Karasuma Renya, as confirmed by File 1008 and SDB Black+. Maria Higashio is but a classmate of the DBs introduced in a case over 10 years ago but who's barely appeared in the manga. Mostly has been a simple background character with no speaking role. Some people thought that her being in the case with the boss' reveal had some relevance but IMO it's over-stretching things. She just worked as character to introduce the "treasure hunt" story.

3) Iori is just a sidekick to Momiji and it's there for the love triangle plot. He was introduced in a mysterious manner but that was because if he was introduced with his real name (even while disguised) we'd know that he was related to Momiji (due to both of them being inspired by a manga named Chihayafuru). He's not a RUM suspect, as confirmed by SDB Black+.

so iori is only an additional character or entertaining character, there is no connection with the black organization?

Maria Higashio she is a quiet girl but is also smart to solve the case of "treasure hunt" alone
Maria Higashio is smarter than detective boys?
if it has solved the treasure hunt, did he intentionally start or ruffle the code in his house?
Last edited by Spimer on January 28th, 2019, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged both replies into one post
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Npaz wrote:
Spimer wrote:1) There were mentions of "whiskey" in the debut cases of Rumi and Wakita, similar to how there was a mention of "bourbon" in Amuro's debut case, foreshadowing / hinting that he was Bourbon. Whether there's someone named "whiskey" in the BO, it's unknown.

so iori is only an additional character or entertaining character, there is no connection with the black organization?
not confirmed, since the Rum arc mysteries aren't resolved, so we can't say yet.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Image Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

The treasure hunt code was very simple, anyway. It was intended for her to solve it, anyway.

It just happened that the books were out of place due to an earthquake and that the DBs didn't understand how the bird worked like but apart from that it wasn't any big deal. And her explanation of why she couldn't come out wasn't odd, it was due to the nature of the door as Conan explained.

So I don't think there's any need to look deeper into her character.

Iori got no mention in the SDB+ Black so it's very possible that both he and Chikara Katsumata (the shogi player Shuukichi dueled) are totally unrelated to the BO plot.

Time will tell, though.
Npaz

Post by Npaz »

the new chapter will be released soon,
Spoiler:
wakita talk to traitors to bourbon

reinforces the notion that Wakita = rum
Spoiler:
but,the hat used is similar to the hat worn by Tsutomu Akai
mtcc

Post by mtcc »

wakita 1027
3 panels right-over-left arm-crossers
1 panel left-over-right arm-crossers
PhantomWriter
Rye on Discord

Post by PhantomWriter »

Wakita is squatting again.

That's the trick KID keeps using with his disguises, squatting to make it look like he's shorter.

Regardless of who he is, he is hiding something. He's throwing me off because the sea and ocean motif both reminds me of Masumi [a lot of her cases deal with water or the ocean] and of how rum is associated with oceanic stuff [pirates and the British royal navy especially].

Edit- He also uses the same expression that Kuroda does (at least in translation), "please take care of me," asking it of Amuro while Kuroda asked it of Conan. Interesting parallel.
"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay." -Sherlock Holmes
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

PhantomWriter wrote:Wakita is squatting again.

That's the trick KID keeps using with his disguises, squatting to make it look like he's shorter.

Regardless of who he is, he is hiding something. He's throwing me off because the sea and ocean motif both reminds me of Masumi [a lot of her cases deal with water or the ocean] and of how rum is associated with oceanic stuff [pirates and the British royal navy especially].

Edit- He also uses the same expression that Kuroda does (at least in translation), "please take care of me," asking it of Amuro while Kuroda asked it of Conan. Interesting parallel.
Well, here's hoping we get something by the end of the case that'll give us a clearer picture... 'cause I'm kind of stuck on him, too. I don't know whether he's Rum, whether he's Tsutomu, or—dare I say it—whether he's actually both.

If he's Tsutomu and not Rum... then that leaves us with Hyōe and Rumi (taking Gosho at his word that Rum is one of three people—Hyōe, Rumi or Kanenori)—two people who each know things that one would think Rum would've acted on, by now (Hyōe knows Bourbon is NPA, knows just how intelligent Shinichi/Conan is, and seems to be aware of the plan the Kudos likely proposed to Bourbon when he broke into their house; Rumi is a hair's breath from both Shinichi/Conan and Shiho/Ai, has even been testing the former's intelligence, and even seems to have worked out his identity). If you forced me to pick one... I'd say that if Kanenori's not Rum... then Rumi is the most likely to be Rum.

If he's Rum and Tsutomu... then I guess that'd be a big twist on the Gundam basis, right? 'Cause Char's dad was actually dead the whole time and not faking it at all, right?

I'd be all for the Rum = Kanenori = Chikara Katsumata theory to be proven right, but I'm not holding my breath on that one—the odds of it happening are pretty slim.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Wakita's traitor comment got me thinking...
What if he is the one who exposed Scotch?
This would make his encounter with Bourbon, and how he is acting somewhat watchful of him (as if Bourbon could be a traitor), as well as how Koumei (Scotch's brother) is getting involved, even more significant/ironic/fateful, apart from it's Rum-mislead purpose (pretty typical of Gosho, just like in the Betrayal series, where they all had tangled pasts with each other).
Spoiler:
I bet that flatcap was a souvenir from a certain country brought up in the previous case, when he was dealing with a certain someone also brought up in the previous case.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

MeiTanteixX wrote:Wakita's traitor comment got me thinking...
What if he is the one who exposed Scotch?
This would make his encounter with Bourbon, and how he is acting somewhat watchful of him (as if Bourbon could be a traitor), as well as how Koumei (Scotch's brother) is getting involved, even more significant/ironic/fateful, apart from it's Rum-mislead purpose (pretty typical of Gosho, just like in the Betrayal series, where they all had tangled pasts with each other).
Spoiler:
I bet that flatcap was a souvenir from a certain country brought up in the previous case, when he was dealing with a certain someone also brought up in the previous case.
Well, we've yet to go into that, so if Kanenori is BO but not Rum, this could be the case.

Of course, this leads us back to the point—are Kanenori, Rumi and Hyōe the only Rum suspects? This hinges on, of course, whether you take Gosho at his word from Q92 of SDB Black+ or not:
A Fan wrote:Is RUM certainly amongst the trio of Kuroda, Wakasa and Wakita?
Gosho Aoyama wrote:It is, indeed!
Straightforward enough for me... but hey, I'm up for alternative interpretation. :)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

In the previous case we got a big reveal.
A) Tsutomu and Mary are meeting with each other and Mary for sometime knew that Tsutomu is alive.
B) Wakita's traitor remark is more like a warning to Bourbon coming off from a fellow traitor. If you really want to expose a traitor the best thing is to keep quiet.
C) The Flat-cap might very well be a a gift from his wife.(His eye injury is just a fake/lie at this point of time.)
D) Somebody had alerted Scotch that his cover was blown.(a)Scotch's preparedness, b) Scotch's farewell message to Zero are good enough pieces of information.)
E) That somebody is possibly Wakita.
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:Of course, this leads us back to the point—are Kanenori, Rumi and Hyōe the only Rum suspects? This hinges on, of course, whether you take Gosho at his word from Q92 of SDB Black+ or not:
Straightforward enough for me... but hey, I'm up for alternative interpretation. :)
I'm more ready to accept misleading technicality answers (like Wakita being a former "Rum") than believing that Gosho is repeating Bourbon arc in a very loud and extremely predictable way :P
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image
DCUniverseAficionado

MeiTanteixX wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:Of course, this leads us back to the point—are Kanenori, Rumi and Hyōe the only Rum suspects? This hinges on, of course, whether you take Gosho at his word from Q92 of SDB Black+ or not:
I'm more ready to accept misleading technicality answers (like Wakita being a former "Rum") than believing that Gosho is repeating Bourbon arc in a very loud and extremely predictable way :P
And that, right there, is the key part—"ready to accept."

I'd like for Gosho to not "repeat the Bourbon arc in a very loud and extremely predictable way," too... but if he does... then that's that, and I'm gonna have to roll with that.