Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Zerozaki4869
Posts: 156

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Zerozaki4869 » October 2nd, 2017, 2:46 am

On the other-hand You've quite proved that he can role-play an effeminate Body-guard with much of a problem.
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1163

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 2nd, 2017, 3:49 pm

Zerozaki4869 wrote:If I'm not mistaking then we have also seen one Instance when Iori was looking back at Heiji after keening that fake-Tengu by his left eye. If that was a prosthetic the whole action is an anomaly and at the same time he realized it was Heiji as he said it Momiji. So that fake eye doesn't hold good anymore.
It was Momiji that said Heiji's name:
Spoiler:
Image
I've addressed this before already, but again, Muga was not turning his head to look back. Relying on pupil movement(as a sign of sight) is not as credible as them turning their head to look back, since pupil movement has a pivotal role in how Gosho artistically portrays focus and actions. Rumi is our only model for a normal-looking person with potential to have a prosthetic, and since she has constantly moved her pupils to convey basic manga actions, it's very likely that Gosho dismisses pupil movement when portraying an unnoticeable prosthetic.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
K.O.R.N
User avatar
Posts: 52

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby K.O.R.N » October 2nd, 2017, 10:18 pm

You can't tell that Iori has eye problems right now. Too soon to conclude that he's Rum, even though he seems to have all three characteristics you have described. I am just gonna stick to my assumption that Iori is a filler character.
Scanlator
Zerozaki4869
Posts: 156

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Zerozaki4869 » October 3rd, 2017, 12:37 pm

The thing is your assertion that Gosho discards pupil movement in the case of prosthetic eye hold no water at all. Your argument would make sense if there was one character with prosthetic eye and normal eye/pupil movement. But there's no such character and you assume that it's Rumi all the way but willfully disregard Kuroda who is more likely to have a prosthetic. And your analogy reminds me of a very funny logical fallacy. Because I suspect A has diabetes and A is an Englishman, then I conclude all English-men are diabetic.
Kor
Moderator
Posts: 2872

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Kor » October 7th, 2017, 4:20 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:because of his light hair-colour(commonly associated with old age).


Where exactly is light hair associated with old age? Is that something that was said in the manga at some point?
Image
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1163

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 7th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Kor wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:because of his light hair-colour(commonly associated with old age).


Where exactly is light hair associated with old age
Well, "Whitish"/"grayish" to be exact. Majority of Japanese people have dark natural hair colour. Seeing a Japanese with a light(whitish) hair colour from a distance can give the impression of an older person that have lost their black pigment.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
K.O.R.N
User avatar
Posts: 52

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby K.O.R.N » October 9th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Where exactly is light hair associated with old age
Well, "Whitish"/"grayish" to be exact. Majority of Japanese people have dark natural hair colour. Seeing a Japanese with a light(whitish) hair colour from a distance can give the impression of an older person that have lost their black pigment.[/quote]

That's not a surefire way to put it. It's quite relative. It's a 50-50 and I don't think this evidence is convincing enough.
Scanlator
Detective Magic
User avatar
Posts: 17

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Detective Magic » October 16th, 2017, 4:08 pm

There's something that's been bothering me for some time.
In file 954 (A song named ASACA case), in the beginning, when girls were helping Subaru with cleaning, he asked them whether they didn't see anybody around Masumi. Somebody who goes by the name Asaka, is skilled at taking down other people etc.
(I tried to add images from the file, that I saved earlier, but I don't have any experience from other forums so I don't know how. Or maybe I'm just a bit dumb)
Why did he think that Asaka would follow Sera? And was his knowledge connected to the fact that his father probably investigated the case?
It was probably discussed when Mary was a suspect for being Asaka (it sounds a bit like he was talking about her), but that's really much to search, so if somebody could tell me in which topic or a general idea where can I find it, it would be great.
Kor
Moderator
Posts: 2872

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Kor » October 16th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Detective Magic wrote:(I tried to add images from the file, that I saved earlier, but I don't have any experience from other forums so I don't know how. Or maybe I'm just a bit dumb)


quick guide:

you press on this button when making a post:

Image

Then you'll get this code:

Code: Select all

[img][/img]

In between these two, you insert the image address. The image address has to have an PNG or JPG ending, otherwise the image won't be seen.

If you're still having trouble with that, shoot me a PM.

Why did he think that Asaka would follow Sera?


I think it was mostly just an attempt on Gosho's part for us to suspect Mary...? At the same time, that "skilled at taking down people" bit is one more hint that Rumi is a strong Asaka contender.
Image
S.Vineyard
Posts: 179

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby S.Vineyard » October 16th, 2017, 6:54 pm

@Sera and ASACA:

Maybe he is just worried that RUM is after his family. (Since currently, both Conan and him assume that ASACA=RUM.)
He can't look after her directly, since it would definitely trigger Masumi's suspicion and would threaten his cover identity. (Which would have desasterous concequences, if the BO gets wind of it.)

Also Okiya/Akai still doesn't seem to know about Mary....
Last edited by S.Vineyard on October 17th, 2017, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkuuddoo
User avatar
Posts: 154

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby kkuuddoo » October 16th, 2017, 7:51 pm

S.Vineyard wrote:@Sera and ASACA:

Maybe he is just worried that RUM is after his family. (Since currently, both Conan and him assume that ASACA=RUM.)
He can't look after her directly, since it would definitely trigger Masumi's suspicion and would threaten his cover identity. (Which would have desasterous concequences, if the BO gets wind of it.)

Also Okiya/Akai still doesn't seem know about Mary....


I am not sure if I should agree with you on this, I actually believe that Akai/Subaru knows about his mom, as he is already aware of the shrinking effect since a long time ago.

He knows that Haibara is Shiho .... Akemi's younger sister. He had already met both sisters and knows how shiho looks like.
He knows Conan is Shinichi, and he confirmed it in Kudo Yusuku cold case.

Many people will have a hard believing that some old person can turn into a child, unless the have knowledge of the drug and what the effect of the APTX drug is. So far, Akai didn't seem knowledgeable about Sherry's research, but he was able to tell haibara is shiho almost right away, he did suspect it in the beginning, ( the end of the case where Conan was almost caught by Gin, and was found sleeping in the mail box by haibara, akai saw them, and thought "No way" or " It can't be" and walked away)

IMO, I think that he already knows what happen to his mother, and that made it easier for him to figure out that Shiho, shrunk and became haibara ai, as well as know that Conan is no normal child, in fact he is the Shrunken Kudo shinichi, The house owner's son, and ran's friend !
GIN X SHIHO <3<3<3
VERMOUTH IS SEXY AS HELL !!

Elena Miyano and Atsushi ..... APTX 4869 & Silver Bullet
Zerozaki4869
Posts: 156

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Zerozaki4869 » October 16th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Akai knows stuff about Ai and how shrinking happens due to a certain drug/APTX, but we really don't know whether Mary's condition is known to him or not and about that some Asaka following Sera, probably stems from his suspicion that Rum was Asaka and as Tsutomu was involved in the Kohji case and had to hide from horrible people, Shuichi thinks that BO probably has connected that Sera is Tsutomu's daughter and wants to finish her to keep things smooth.
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1163

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 17th, 2017, 2:39 am

Zerozaki4869 wrote:Akai knows stuff about Ai and how shrinking happens due to a certain drug/APTX, but we really don't know whether Mary's condition is known to him or not and about that some Asaka following Sera, probably stems from his suspicion that Rum was Asaka and as Tsutomu was involved in the Kohji case and had to hide from horrible people, Shuichi thinks that BO probably has connected that Sera is Tsutomu's daughter and wants to finish her to keep things smooth.
I believe the bolded part over Akai knowing about Mary since before Vermouth arc(at the moment at least).

I suspect that Subaru's call during Detective Nocturne was from James, and he informed him about Mary's circumstances as well as the reason for their return. The timing of such call makes sense with the context, since Bourbon was there wondering about Sera's return not long before as well.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Detective Magic
User avatar
Posts: 17

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Detective Magic » October 17th, 2017, 12:19 pm

The pictures I wanted to add: (well not exactly, since I wanted to add just 2 frames, but they were stored at my disc, not in internet, so I didn't know how to get an image address for them, so I had to find the images in internet (don't know whether it was from the same source) but I guess this way is also ok)
Spoiler:
Image
Image
S.Vineyard wrote:@Sera and ASACA:

Maybe he is just worried that RUM is after his family. (Since currently, both Conan and him assume that ASACA=RUM.)
He can't look after her directly, since it would definitely trigger Masumi's suspicion and would threaten his cover identity. (Which would have desasterous concequences, if the BO gets wind of it.)

Zerozaki4869 wrote:Akai knows stuff about Ai and how shrinking happens due to a certain drug/APTX, but we really don't know whether Mary's condition is known to him or not and about that some Asaka following Sera, probably stems from his suspicion that Rum was Asaka and as Tsutomu was involved in the Kohji case and had to hide from horrible people, Shuichi thinks that BO probably has connected that Sera is Tsutomu's daughter and wants to finish her to keep things smooth.

Well, that sounds quite reasonable to me and now I don't know why didn't I come up with this idea. And because of all the theories, I completely forgot that they think Asaca=Rum. So i guess it was because he was worried about Rum being after Sera. I don't have any ideas about Shuichi and Mary, so I won't comment that, but I agree with Kor
Kor wrote:I think it was mostly just an attempt on Gosho's part for us to suspect Mary...? At the same time, that "skilled at taking down people" bit is one more hint that Rumi is a strong Asaka contender.

that it was probably to raise our suspicion against Mary.

PS: But if Rum is Asaca, then I'm wondering how he and all the others like Akai and Rei are dealing with the double secret identity stuff. Because they are like Rum/Asaca/??? or Akai Shuichi/Rye/Dai Moroboshi/Subaru Okiya. :D As for me it would probably be super hard - imagine four people running to you and each of them says a different name, but that's all you. :)

EDIT (3 seconds later): Why are those images not working?! :| :| :|
Last edited by Kor on October 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerozaki4869
Posts: 156

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Zerozaki4869 » October 17th, 2017, 10:30 pm

BTW,

Iori is a prime Asaka suspect and probably a Rum underling.
The way in which Gosho hands his place to Rumi(by twisting words and giving Rumimore screen time.) it's evident that Iori is a big-shot.
But Rum=Iori being far fetched as the three descriptions as of now looks to be forced but his combat skills and exceptional awareness means a great Asaka candidate.
Also Rum=Asaka is a more far-fetched conclusion for Conan than any other theory. Here Conan has to assume Rum was Asaka, Rum chose a very bad time and place to kill Amanda, Kohji knew Rum's code-name, Kohji even used Rum's codename to refer him(while Asaka would have been enough/the more information theory makes nos sense as Kohji could never know whether Rum is a genuine code-name or a mission specific code name) He has assume all these four without any evidence, but he could have just assumed that Kohji was in a place to name his killer and his Killer's name included, "U MASCARA"
If he made the connection Rum="U MASCARA" it would have made more sense.

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests