Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 6th, 2017, 1:39 am

Misztina wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:But he didn't follow up on these suspicions of his. By stopping short, and not opening that locker all the way, Shinichi/Conan escaped that situation alive, and will—eventually—destroy the Organization, because Gin walked away when victory was within his grasp.

And here's something else—an adult with dwarfism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarfism) could've fit in the locker. Gin should've thought of that, if he thought that the "sly fox" was hiding in those small lockers.


Yeah, I know that it should have ended like Gin killing him there, but he didn't and that is very... intriguing. I mean, he basicly said "Silly me, no adult could fit in here" and went home. And yeah, what if the kid was a dwarf mistaken as kid? Gin, Gin... you lack fantasy.
But if he didn't think there was anyone in the last locker, why didn't he open it to be sure? I just can't see how Gin can be like this, it is a bit out of character for me. Unless, he has reasons. Or he just made a mistake.

Then again, I could be dead wrong, so...

To me it looked like he was expressing how silly it was for him to lose his cool the moment he realized something didn't add up to his expectations. I think it just added a bit to his character and portrayed a human side through that bit. He simply dismissed it as irrational behavior and it didn't matter if he was close to open Conan's locker or the locker beside it, he was already sure.

Now we could go on and speculate that maybe he had an inkling that there could've been a child in there, but decided to not look anymore desperate in front of Vodka but that's just pure speculations. We can however expect that Gin might link his knowledge of a kid entering the station with future development, so there's that.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Kan Kōhi
User avatar
Posts: 11

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Kan Kōhi » March 7th, 2017, 6:00 am

Just a quick reply on my part:
I didn't really like Wakita just for the rather subjective reason that he would look kinda funny as the second-in-command of such an organization. But I tried to edit some panels with him on my own a few days ago (in a simple manner) after Tantei San made an edit of him a few pages ago and this is the result:

Image

Image

Well, in case his more prominent features should be a kind of cheap disguise... he doesn't look all that funny anymore, I think. :D

P.S. On the other hand, his "fangirly mode" is still hilarious. XD

Image
Tantei San
User avatar

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Posts: 310

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Tantei San » March 7th, 2017, 9:21 am

Kan Kōhi wrote:Just a quick reply on my part:
I didn't really like Wakita just for the rather subjective reason that he would look kinda funny as the second-in-command of such an organization. But I tried to edit some panels with him on my own a few days ago (in a simple manner) after Tantei San made an edit of him a few pages ago and this is the result:

Image

Image

Well, in case his more prominent features should be a kind of cheap disguise... he doesn't look all that funny anymore, I think. :D

P.S. On the other hand, his "fangirly mode" is still hilarious. XD

Image



Thank You!
As for Wakita.. I don't think he is anyhow connected to the BO, (But,since most of my theories are wrong, might this as well).
Anyway, If you look that way, Wakita is more likely to a lil happy kinda guy. And He speaks like Donald Duck(Not Trump).
Lets see...
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 7th, 2017, 10:23 am

Kan Kōhi wrote:Just a quick reply on my part:
I didn't really like Wakita just for the rather subjective reason that he would look kinda funny as the second-in-command of such an organization. But I tried to edit some panels with him on my own a few days ago (in a simple manner) after Tantei San made an edit of him a few pages ago and this is the result:

Image

Image

Well, in case his more prominent features should be a kind of cheap disguise... he doesn't look all that funny anymore, I think. :D

P.S. On the other hand, his "fangirly mode" is still hilarious. XD

Image

wrote this in DCW as a reply:
"I think he's just a red-herring.
On the other hand, I agree with the theory(that friends in Discord server made) that Wakita drugged Mary. He most likely got the eye-injury from Mary's knife-hand strike during their struggle(struck at the same eye as Akai in the flashback), and since the Wakita setup case(Gin's suspicion, File 951-953) was a Mary case, it makes a lot of sense with Gosho's plot structure. Also, question that was asked in the chapter before Wakita's intro was "By whom was Mary drugged?""
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Max1996
User avatar
Posts: 410

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Max1996 » March 8th, 2017, 11:28 am

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Misztina wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:But he didn't follow up on these suspicions of his. By stopping short, and not opening that locker all the way, Shinichi/Conan escaped that situation alive, and will—eventually—destroy the Organization, because Gin walked away when victory was within his grasp.

And here's something else—an adult with dwarfism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarfism) could've fit in the locker. Gin should've thought of that, if he thought that the "sly fox" was hiding in those small lockers.


Yeah, I know that it should have ended like Gin killing him there, but he didn't and that is very... intriguing. I mean, he basicly said "Silly me, no adult could fit in here" and went home. And yeah, what if the kid was a dwarf mistaken as kid? Gin, Gin... you lack fantasy.
But if he didn't think there was anyone in the last locker, why didn't he open it to be sure? I just can't see how Gin can be like this, it is a bit out of character for me. Unless, he has reasons. Or he just made a mistake.

Then again, I could be dead wrong, so...

To me it looked like he was expressing how silly it was for him to lose his cool the moment he realized something didn't add up to his expectations. I think it just added a bit to his character and portrayed a human side through that bit. He simply dismissed it as irrational behavior and it didn't matter if he was close to open Conan's locker or the locker beside it, he was already sure.

Now we could go on and speculate that maybe he had an inkling that there could've been a child in there, but decided to not look anymore desperate in front of Vodka but that's just pure speculations. We can however expect that Gin might link his knowledge of a kid entering the station with future development, so there's that.


Actually, looking at it in the Viz version, I'm starting to think Gin did have such an inkling. Look at the locker above the one Conan was hiding in. This was left slightly open, while he closed the one locker he hadn't checked all the way.
Image
alphajjc
Posts: 89

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby alphajjc » March 8th, 2017, 1:16 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Kan Kōhi wrote:Just a quick reply on my part:
I didn't really like Wakita just for the rather subjective reason that he would look kinda funny as the second-in-command of such an organization. But I tried to edit some panels with him on my own a few days ago (in a simple manner) after Tantei San made an edit of him a few pages ago and this is the result:

Image

Image

Well, in case his more prominent features should be a kind of cheap disguise... he doesn't look all that funny anymore, I think. :D

P.S. On the other hand, his "fangirly mode" is still hilarious. XD

Image

wrote this in DCW as a reply:
"I think he's just a red-herring.
On the other hand, I agree with the theory(that friends in Discord server made) that Wakita drugged Mary. He most likely got the eye-injury from Mary's knife-hand strike during their struggle(struck at the same eye as Akai in the flashback), and since the Wakita setup case(Gin's suspicion, File 951-953) was a Mary case, it makes a lot of sense with Gosho's plot structure. Also, question that was asked in the chapter before Wakita's intro was "By whom was Mary drugged?""


What do you think is his role in the organization? Other than being the advisor to "that person". I get Gin and Vodka but i really hope Gosho isn't just gonna have other high ranking members just be "shooters"
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 8th, 2017, 3:25 pm

alphajjc wrote:What do you think is his role in the organization? Other than being the advisor to "that person". I get Gin and Vodka but i really hope Gosho isn't just gonna have other high ranking members just be "shooters"

Based on the possibility that he dealt with Mary and that he's currently investigating Kogoro(to confirm Gin's suspicion), I'd say that he does field work that is of high importance. Mary being targeted could be due to her tie with Elena(an important BO scientist), and Kogoro might become a threat to Rum, so I would assume that he's the guy to call for when a mission calls for utmost precision in execution(quite impressive, for his age).
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Filipino_4869
User avatar
Posts: 23

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Filipino_4869 » March 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Spoiler:
If Asaka is not Rum, but Rumi...

The object in Rumi's pocket might really be what makes Conan realize Rumi's connection to the Kohji Haneda case. Be it a shogi tile, or a shogi keychain or the hand-mirror's missing fragment (the "U" part of PUT ON MASCARA), either way, it says that Rumi was present and directly involved in the 17-year-old case.

This might also answer the question why Rumi and Kuroda has some kind of antipathy between them. What if 17 years ago, it was Kuroda who interrupted/disturbed Rumi/Asaka in her duty when she was guarding Kohji (and then possibly, Amanda) in the US? Then it would make Rumi feel that her employer "Kohji" (also boyfriend/brother) was ultimately killed by Rum because of something Kuroda did/Kuroda made her do (e.g. go somewhere else immediately, and leave Amanda/Kohji).

Kuroda might have been able to do this, if he has some power/command above Rumi. It would also explain why Kuroda "asked permission to call the police" from Rumi. Kuroda might be guilty about something in the past which made Rumi/Asaka incapable of saving Kohji from Rumi, and thus, lose her trust in the police.
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 9th, 2017, 3:47 am

Filipino_4869 wrote:The object in Rumi's pocket might really be what makes Conan realize Rumi's connection to the Kohji Haneda case. Be it a shogi tile, or a shogi keychain or the hand-mirror's missing fragment (the "U" part of PUT ON MASCARA), either way, it says that Rumi was present and directly involved in the 17-year-old case.

Or that she was there and found the object during the aftermath of the double-murder.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Themaninarmor
User avatar

It's not about me

Posts: 161

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Themaninarmor » March 10th, 2017, 1:20 am

What!? Are you still believe that she keep a glass fragment in her pocket??? And i don't think she found any glass fragment too.. Remember how kohji's code work....
The missing fragment become a clue... So it means if she found it in scene it means the code will only be "Mascara".

My deduction is if kohji wanted to make the code "asaca rum" then he only needed to cut 2 part from the hand mirror which were "Mascara" and letter "U". Which mean there will be 2 big fragment of glass... Then why rumi only found 1?

Okay let's say she found one, but the main problem is people still believe it's possible the thing in her pocket is the missing fragment even it doesn't make sense then the real question is for what reason she brought it with her?

If it is a memento? She can keep it in someplace like chest...etc or place it as decoration.

If she want to show it to conan to make him realize that she had connection to case 17 years ago... Then there will be a better place and time like her house when conan co visited rumi's place, or there are a better things like a shogi piece or something related to shogi.

If she want to make it as weapon (somehow).... She can carry in safe way like put it inside something like small box or pocket-sized container.

See... It become impossible right? And don't tell me some half-assed reason like she keep it in dangerous and idiotic way for some reason. :P
130177130179417
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 10th, 2017, 5:31 am

Themaninarmor wrote:What!? Are you still believe that she keep a glass fragment in her pocket??? And i don't think she found any glass fragment too.. Remember how kohji's code work....
The missing fragment become a clue... So it means if she found it in scene it means the code will only be "Mascara".
I think it's too weird of a coincidence that they look identical.

Who says she had to have found it right in the open? Or that Kohji is a magician who can make it disappear out of existence? It was still somewhere in that room, but hidden(so that the message would work). The guy who died in File 948-950 hid his shards in the sink.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Themaninarmor
User avatar

It's not about me

Posts: 161

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby Themaninarmor » March 10th, 2017, 7:14 am

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Themaninarmor wrote:What!? Are you still believe that she keep a glass fragment in her pocket??? And i don't think she found any glass fragment too.. Remember how kohji's code work....
The missing fragment become a clue... So it means if she found it in scene it means the code will only be "Mascara".
I think it's too weird of a coincidence that they look identical.

Who says she had to have found it right in the open? Or that Kohji is a magician who can make it disappear out of existence? It was still somewhere in that room, but hidden(so that the message would work). The guy who died in File 948-950 hid his shards in the sink.


I mean if she found the letter u, then why she didn't found the "mascara" part? okay let's say she could manage to find and brought only the U part!? Then there is no reason for her to bring it with her. She could saved it somewhere even she brought it that way. For the similiar shape... It's like seeing a person face in clouds.
130177130179417
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
RucyL
User avatar
Posts: 65

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby RucyL » March 10th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Themaninarmor wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Themaninarmor wrote:The missing fragment become a clue... So it means if she found it in scene it means the code will only be "Mascara".
I think it's too weird of a coincidence that they look identical.

Who says she had to have found it right in the open? Or that Kohji is a magician who can make it disappear out of existence? It was still somewhere in that room, but hidden(so that the message would work). The guy who died in File 948-950 hid his shards in the sink.


I mean if she found the letter u, then why she didn't found the "mascara" part? okay let's say she could manage to find and brought only the U part!?


Maybe the "U" wasn't part of the dying message from the very begining, and was just near the mirror, but not hidden. That way then message would have being just "mascara".

As for the meaning of of it, I don't know, but I have a few options:
1- The obvious one: The culprit was wearing mascara.
2- Improbable: The culprit was wearing a mask (mascara is spanish for mask, idk why would Kouji know it, but hey, if Conan knows oro is gold in italian, why not?)
3- Almost stupid but makes a little sense: "Mr. Asaca", meaning Asaca is a man.

These are all stupid theories that are going to be wrong, but it's not like I can think something better.
"A true lady leaves no puzzle unsolved."
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 1140

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby MeiTanteixX » March 10th, 2017, 6:05 pm

RucyL wrote:
Themaninarmor wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Themaninarmor wrote:The missing fragment become a clue... So it means if she found it in scene it means the code will only be "Mascara".
I think it's too weird of a coincidence that they look identical.

Who says she had to have found it right in the open? Or that Kohji is a magician who can make it disappear out of existence? It was still somewhere in that room, but hidden(so that the message would work). The guy who died in File 948-950 hid his shards in the sink.


I mean if she found the letter u, then why she didn't found the "mascara" part? okay let's say she could manage to find and brought only the U part!?


Maybe the "U" wasn't part of the dying message from the very begining, and was just near the mirror, but not hidden. That way then message would have being just "mascara".

As for the meaning of of it, I don't know, but I have a few options:
1- The obvious one: The culprit was wearing mascara.
2- Improbable: The culprit was wearing a mask (mascara is spanish for mask, idk why would Kouji know it, but hey, if Conan knows oro is gold in italian, why not?)
3- Almost stupid but makes a little sense: "Mr. Asaca", meaning Asaca is a man.

These are all stupid theories that are going to be wrong, but it's not like I can think something better.

Interesting idea. But that's still a bit iffy, because it doesn't make sense that Kohji would cut the "U" out when it's not a part of the message(regardless if it was close to the mirror or not). Or maybe Rumi cut it out to mess with the message intentionally?
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 701

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » March 10th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Random question, for the people who think that Rumi is Vermouth, do you also think that Rumi is Asaka? (And therefore that Vermouth is Asaka?)

If so, do you think that Okiya/Akai is aware of this?

If so, why do you think that Okiya/Akai thinks that Asaka would try to get close to Masumi (as mentioned in the Asaca Song case) ?
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
Image

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests