Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Zerozaki4869

Re: Rum Arc Discussion Thread (Plot + Characters)

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

The question is "Wakita" was being set up by "gin" to investigate Kogoro, much later in the story. If Wakita is moving under the orders of Gin, then that shushi guy was the previous one who got substituted by Wakita.
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

dccd wrote:So I tend to believe that its foreboding regarding the upcoming clash between Mary and Wakita.
I can see that being the case (one of Gosho's classic easter eggs) more than that being Wakita, since he doesn't look like him whatsover.
Zerozaki4869 wrote:The question is "Wakita" was being set up by "gin" to investigate Kogoro, much later in the story. If Wakita is moving under the orders of Gin, then that shushi guy was the previous one who got substituted by Wakita.
another good point.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
zain iqbal

Post by zain iqbal »

I think rumi wakasa is RUM because her name is strange you know....
First its rumi and if you read first three letter then they are RUM......
Second in wakasa if you skip W and read her name backward direction it is ASAKA...
And in haneda koji's murder case it was revealed that amanda's bodyguard might be her killer and later in soul detective murder case it was revealed that she was a girl so after adding everything it could only be her.........
Although it is not confirmed yet....so we will see in upcoming episode's right now its only a theory.........
BE SURE TO GIVE YOUR OPINION>>>
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

zain iqbal wrote:I think rumi wakasa is RUM because her name is strange you know....
Second in wakasa if you skip W and read her name backward direction it is ASAKA...

And in haneda koji's murder case it was revealed that amanda's bodyguard might be her killer and later in soul detective murder case it was revealed that she was a girl so after adding everything it could only be her.........
Although it is not confirmed yet....so we will see in upcoming episode's right now its only a theory.........
So are you saying the dying message was "ASACA RUM"? because if so... then you are basically saying that Yusaku's and Subaru's deduction that it's actually "CARASUMA"(File 1008) is wrong.

Why is Rumi involving herself with DB then? Why hasn't she recognized or done something to Sherry? Why is going with a name that indicates her involvement in the Kohji case that she(if Rum) would want to keep hidden?
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Image Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
Zerozaki4869

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

MeiTanteixX wrote:
zain iqbal wrote:I think rumi wakasa is RUM because her name is strange you know....

So are you saying the dying message was "ASACA RUM"? because if so... then you are basically saying that Yusaku's and Subaru's deduction that it's actually "CARASUMA"(File 1008) is wrong.

Why is Rumi involving herself with DB then? Why hasn't she recognized or done something to Sherry? Why is going with a name that indicates her involvement in the Kohji case that she(if Rum) would want to keep hidden?
To be honest we have no proof/hint that "U MASCARA" was Kohji's doing. The shear complexity considering the back-casing of the mirror, the required time, Kohji's condition(fleeing from Rum and was injured), no confirmation on whether the bathroom door was locked or not, no confirmation that Kohji's finger print was found on the tap or not, seems to suggest a foul-play. Maybe a third party who came to retrieve "the stuff" from Kohji's hand did this. Maybe this guy/girl is a BO agent but was related to Kohji. Had no idea who was the victim before coming into the room. Seeing a dead Kohji gave out the message Karasuma to indicate investigators to look into Karasuma group. Also another effect would be tarnish Rum's reputation. Maybe the boss would think Rum is a utter bull crap and kill him. As BO kills people for failures. But Boss had some soft corner for Rum and Rum was let off the hook.
Osaka Detective

Post by Osaka Detective »

Holy moly this old af account still works haha. Interest in DC reignited. Rum Arc is already proving to be more interesting (and faster, pace-wise) than the what - 7 year Bourbon Arc (?).

With the new case tying up the Chiba/Naeko pair (plus ShinRan being canon in Kyoto), it seems like other than Kogoro/Eri and Heiji/Kazuha, most of the romance subplots are more or less done. I do kind of want to see the Yamato/Uehara pair again though, since Nagano cases are always a treat (their last case was Kawanakajima). But with Kuroda being in Tokyo now, I doubt we'll see the Nagano cops anytime soon. Though they can always just set a case there so the readers can find out more about Kuroda's backstory.

Speaking of which, at the end of the last case, was Conan holding onto Miike's phone after the case? Wouldn't that mean there's a chance that Naeko might be semi-important (?). She is shown to have two phones for whatever reason and the main character holds onto it after the case. I did see a post on the Chinese forum saying (as a crack theory) that she might be Scotch's sister. No basis whatsoever, but I think it would be a nice way to tie the "day-to-day case" characters (the cops, Ran and Kogoro mostly) with the Black Org related characters for the inevitable showdown.
dccd

Post by dccd »

Interesting point.

Kinda means that Naeko will appear again for whatever reason.
The only thing (atleast what comes into my mind at this point) which makes sense storywise is that
especially Naeko will have a number/contact/message of a certain person on her phone which is somehow relevant to the plot.

Damn... I have no idea who this might be. ::)
[ ] Yonehara = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Rumi = Asaka
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey (aka the RAT)
[ ] Iori = just a butler
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

Arc might have been inspired by the The Third Shadow Ninja a jidaigeki film about a Lord, two body doubles & his third body double with one eye missing.
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

dccd wrote:Damn... I have no idea who this might be. ::)
Or he simply gave it back off-screen and the point of that scene was to update us on Yumi's situation.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

With Yusaku being a major player this arc, I'm wondering if he's had any past cases involving the Black Organization or any of the Rum suspects. We still know nothing about his life before he got married Yukiko.

Rumi is (apparently) around the same age as Yusaku and knowing how Gosho Aoyama operates.... I'm half seriously expecting them to be childhood friends.
champagne

Post by champagne »

thriceplus wrote:With Yusaku being a major player this arc, I'm wondering if he's had any past cases involving the Black Organization or any of the Rum suspects. We still know nothing about his life before he got married Yukiko.

Rumi is (apparently) around the same age as Yusaku and knowing how Gosho Aoyama operates.... I'm half seriously expecting them to be childhood friends.
I wonder about him too. Either he’s just not that relevant or Gosho is holding something big involving him back.

Since the BO seems to have many ties to America (Vermouth being American, Sherry lived there, FBI and CIA are after them, Haneda Kohji-case took place there) – maybe Yusako had a relevant encounter while he lived there? Or he is somehow connected to either someone from the BO or someone who is not BO but still somewhat important?
Zerozaki4869

Kuroda Switch theory

Post by Zerozaki4869 »

I've always felt very odd regarding Kuroda's swap theory.

a)The mid-coma swap is absurd and contrived.(Somebody mimicking every injury of Kuroda yet forgetting to dye the hair sounds obnoxiously hilarious.)
b)But on the other hand Marie-Antenoitte syndrome is just garbage stuff.
c) So a swap happened but not Mid-coma, so my theory would be that Kuroda wasn't the only one who came across the accident.
d)There was someone who had a similar facial structure like original Kuroda and had no id on him.
e) During the accident the original Kuroda got burnt into cinders while this guy was alive, the rescuers mistook this guy as Kuroda and took him to the Hospital, his face was badly burnt along and in the commotion nobody noticed that whether his hair was white or black.
The nurse who probably knew Kuroda beforehand, was astonished to see his hair getting changed.

Or
The original Kuroda dyed his hair and during bandaged session the black dye just worn off.
shinichi1977

Re: Kuroda Switch theory

Post by shinichi1977 »

Zerozaki4869 wrote:I've always felt very odd regarding Kuroda's swap theory.

a)The mid-coma swap is absurd and contrived.(Somebody mimicking every injury of Kuroda yet forgetting to dye the hair sounds obnoxiously hilarious.)
c) So a swap happened but not Mid-coma, so my theory would be that Kuroda wasn't the only one who came across the accident.
d)There was someone who had a similar facial structure like original Kuroda and had no id on him.
e) During the accident the original Kuroda got burnt into cinders while this guy was alive, the rescuers mistook this guy as Kuroda and took him to the Hospital, his face was badly burnt along and in the commotion nobody noticed that whether his hair was white or black.
The nurse who probably knew Kuroda beforehand, was astonished to see his hair getting changed.

Or
The original Kuroda dyed his hair and during bandaged session the black dye just worn off.
To quote Shiho here, I support the third option. In this case, it's Kuroda, the actual one, still in a coma, who's being sort of replaced by, and it so wouldn't surprise me, Akai's father. If Rumi were the bodyguard framed for the murder of 17 years ago barely coming away with a lost eye, and she found out that Kuroda isn't who he claims to be, or the actual Kuroda was a liaison in Japan who made a bad call, it'd make sense Wakasa wants him to fail as a cop.

I see one major difference between the Bourbon Arc and this one, in the former, Bourbon already entered the stage as Scar Akai, which made him the second candidate and his Amuro persona the fourth, whereas in contrast Wakita isn't implied to have one. I do unfortunately lack the time to go back dozens of pages, so I'm just curious if it was brought up (by somebody else than me, way back when) that the glass eye is eerily similar to a Miss Marple story, where she's at first sent on a wild goose chase based on the assumption who the glass-eyed man was watching. Shiho is always a fine radar, more specifically Shinichi keeping her away from number one suspects, and out of these three, she's been prevented from meeting Wakita.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Kuroda Switch theory

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

shinichi1977 wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:I've always felt very odd regarding Kuroda's swap theory.

Or
To quote Shiho here, I support the third option. In this case, it's Kuroda, the actual one, still in a coma, who's being sort of replaced by, and it so wouldn't surprise me, Akai's father. If Rumi were the bodyguard framed for the murder of 17 years ago barely coming away with a lost eye, and she found out that Kuroda isn't who he claims to be, or the actual Kuroda was a liaison in Japan who made a bad call, it'd make sense Wakasa wants him to fail as a cop.

I see one major difference between the Bourbon Arc and this one, in the former, Bourbon already entered the stage as Scar Akai, which made him the second candidate and his Amuro persona the fourth, whereas in contrast Wakita isn't implied to have one. I do unfortunately lack the time to go back dozens of pages, so I'm just curious if it was brought up (by somebody else than me, way back when) that the glass eye is eerily similar to a Miss Marple story, where she's at first sent on a wild goose chase based on the assumption who the glass-eyed man was watching. Shiho is always a fine radar, more specifically Shinichi keeping her away from number one suspects, and out of these three, she's been prevented from meeting Wakita.
If Rum is one of the three suspects (Hyōe, Rumi or Kanenori), then I’d have to say Rum is Kanenori—indeed, he’s the only one who hasn’t encountered Shiho/Ai, whereas the other two (especially Rumi) have encountered her.

However, if I had to say whether I thought there were only 3 Rum suspects or whether there are more than 3 suspects, I’d have to go with the latter position. There’s just too strong a parallel between the Rum suspects and the Bourbon suspects, especially concerning Kanenori’s strong parallel to Rei/Tōru/Bourbon—it gives me the sense that Gosho’s trying to make us think, “oh, he’s just going to take the Bourbon approach, again, and have the chipper guy who just recently started working right next to the Detective Agency, and pays Kogorō to become his apprentice, be the BO member that the arc revolves around!”, only to later pull the rug out by revealing that neither Hyōe, nor Rumi, nor Kanenori is Rum (for instance, just look at that little mystery from right after Scarlet Showdown—three cups with vinegar and one without… except, gotcha, all four have vinegar!… translation: three people who are Rum suspects and one person who isn’t… except, gotcha, all four people are Rum suspects!)

As for Tsutomu, I doubt he is actually dead—Gosho has hinted that a character believed to be dead actually isn’t, and he’s been squirrely about saying Tsutomu is dead. I don’t think he, himself, is Rum (I don’t think he and his family will be facing off against each other, with them all shocked that he’s been BO this whole time)—rather, I believe he’s one of the Rum suspects—specifically, I believe he is either masquerading as Hyōe, or is masquerading as Kanenori.

If “encountering a demon in the dark/all kinds of monsters lurk in the dark” quote is Tsutomu’s (we have Gosho’s non-answer answer to the question about Tsutomu and Gin knowing each other), then that makes it yet another quote of his Mary has used (“purge the fog that obscures the truth”), and the third one attributed to him (“infected by the disease called curiosity”), and then we have Kanenori and his phrases. There’s also the bit about if “Time is money” is a reference by Rum to Rei/Tōru/Bourbon about Kanenori—if it is, then how would Rum know that there’s a certain drifter going by a name that is an anagram of that phrase that Bourbon should be aware of? Even if Tsutomu isn’t Kanenori, this question still stands.

On the other hand, we have Hyōe, who has been implied to not be the real Hyōe, and if that is indeed the case, then if this imposter isn’t Rum, and isn’t Tsutomu, then who else could this imposter be? I’d be interested to hear any ideas.

My first impression of Rumi’s and Hyōe’s meet-up was: Rumi thought Hyōe was Kōji’s killer (upon seeing that he has only one normal eye), while Hyōe thought Rumi was Kōji’s killer (connecting her to Amanda’s bodyguard and/or the dying message). Now this could be misdirection from Gosho to camouflage that they met before, say, during the accident that put Hyōe in a coma for a decade, and maybe that’s where Rumi got her own scars.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)