Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-983

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Wakarimashita

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-983

Post by Wakarimashita »

Last page side-note : Kazuha’s rival for Heiji appears! Next: ‘Ran’s precious person’ is in great crisis?!
I wonder who that 'precious person' is.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Normally one would think it means Shinichi/Conan but could be Kogoro or Eri, too. Or Sonoko, while we're at it.

Thinking of Shinichi/Conan in crisis feels like a funny coincidence taking into account the upcoming January episodes are about Conan being kidnapped and held hostage somewhere.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

It's probably Eri, Yunnie pointed out on her blog that Ran referred to Eri with that phrase from the side-note (大切な人) in a dialogue with Conan in Eri's introduction case.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

That makes sense. Eri would be great. It's been so long since she's had a case centered around her.
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Wakarimashita wrote:That makes sense. Eri would be great. It's been so long since she's had a case centered around her.
Not since October 2009.

Her last/most recent four appearances—spread over 5 years (2010–2015)—were pretty much cameos.

If she appears next case, this would be her first appearance since June 2015.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
ChappiePete

Post by ChappiePete »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Wakarimashita wrote:That makes sense. Eri would be great. It's been so long since she's had a case centered around her.
Not since October 2009.

Her last/most recent four appearances—spread over 5 years (2010–2015)—were pretty much cameos.

I wouldn't be surprised if people would have forgotten about her.
When you introduce someone to Conan and they get bored of the normal cases and just want the org ;-;
PhantomWriter
Rye on Discord

Post by PhantomWriter »

ChappiePete wrote:
Not since October 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if people would have forgotten about her.
We're almost 1,000 chapters in, with hundreds of characters, both recurring and not. That isn't surprising.

(Also makes figuring out who Ano Kata is a pain, even with who can be eliminated outright from the tally.)
"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay." -Sherlock Holmes
MCAL

Post by MCAL »

Not since October 2009.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the case at the Hair Salon, right? The one where the culprit tries to use Eri as an Alibi?
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

MCAL wrote:
Not since October 2009.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was the case at the Hair Salon, right? The one where the culprit tries to use Eri as an Alibi?
No, the case in question is the case on her birthday from Volume 68.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Spoiler:
I'm honestly surprised there haven't been more Peter Pan references (Kazuha mentioned Tinker Bell)

I mean, we have a series with a guy who is eternally a kid, a girl who is waiting for him forever, and a villain who fits the description of a Pirate...
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

I wonder if Gosho is teasing the quite big yuri/yaoi obsessed part of the Conan fanbase on purpose with this Ran-Kazuha scene. For Conan standards, it's pretty straightforward. It reminds me of the scene in the car in the Night Before the Wedding Locked Room Case.

Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm honestly surprised there haven't been more Peter Pan references (Kazuha mentioned Tinker Bell)

I mean, we have a series with a guy who is eternally a kid, a girl who is waiting for him forever, and a villain who fits the description of a Pirate...
Spoiler:
Not enough gundams in Peter Pan.
eros1607

Post by eros1607 »

Too bad Momiji. You are intelligent so you lose to Kazuha by default. Haibara, Sera, Eri, Yui, Mari are intelligent and they are not lucky in relationship.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Wakarimashita wrote:I wonder if Gosho is teasing the quite big yuri/yaoi obsessed part of the Conan fanbase on purpose with this Ran-Kazuha scene. For Conan standards, it's pretty straightforward. It reminds me of the scene in the car in the Night Before the Wedding Locked Room Case.
Well, it wouldn't be a surprise for Gosho to tease/troll. In this whole mess with Heiji, Kazuha and Momiji, who'd expect Ran to confess to Kazuha? ;D
eros1607 wrote:Too bad Momiji. You are intelligent so you lose to Kazuha by default. Haibara, Sera, Eri, Yui, Mari are intelligent and they are not lucky in relationship.
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
You forgot Chikage and Jodie. Oh, and Shuichi, as well.

I see those characters, and raise you Shinichi, Heiji, Kaito, Yusaku, Heizo, Yumi and Miwako, and Midori—intelligent people who did get lucky in a romantic relationship (or, at the very least, will get lucky by series' end).

If this is an issue with there being more intelligent males in DC than intelligent females, I can certainly get behind that—I also certainly wouldn't be opposed to more intelligent females in DC being in romantic relationships. But I'm also not opposed to non-super sleuths and super sleuths being in romantic relationships, either.

Why is Yui on your list? She's in far better standing, in terms of a romantic relationship, than the others—Kansuke isn't dead, and Yui's relationship with him isn't like Kogoro and Eri. In fact, right now, I'd put her in the same boat as Shinichi, Heiji and Yumi.

I've also heard of people not wanting Shiho/Ai to end up with anyone—that she's "above that." Same could go for Masumi. Plus, no one's really caught their eye, at the moment, except for Shinichi. They could both end up with someone by series' end, or not—we'll have to wait and see.

Kogoro bears much of the responsibility for the current status of his relationship with Eri—it's his fault, not hers. It's more of a reflection on him than her, by far.
As for Momiji, herself, we'll have to see what lengths she goes to try and get Heiji to become hers—will she use deception and trickery to try and break Heiji and Kazuha up? Just how aloof and high-handed will she act towards Kazuha? I severely doubt Shinichi/Conan and Ran are just going to sit by and watch, unfazed, either. She's already gone and selected someone to be her husband who likely doesn't even know she exists, and she's likely now aware that he has feelings for someone else. Just what is her next move?
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Hmm... let's see... who's the only Gosho Boy (Shinichi, Heiji, Saguru, Kaito) who's not on the verge of a relationship?... ah, yes, Saguru!... but, then again, it'll be more of Momiji just being too late if Saguru and Akako end up being a thing (given how infrequently we get MK, these days, who knows?). In that case, while one intelligent woman would end up unlucky in love, one wouldn't.
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on December 30th, 2016, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)