Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-983

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
k11chi

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-98X

Post by k11chi »

Honestly maybe he should do that every now and then.
Serinox

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-98X

Post by Serinox »

Even so, Gosho basically just said that Amuro will appear in the next series, together with Heiji, which they did. His answer to the question as to when we will learn more about Amuro's past and family was "There is this character, Elena. I'll write more about her.", which means that we will get more details about Amuro when he'll get to do more Elena. So far, he did everything that he said in his Q&A.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 981-983

Post by Spimer »

Yeah. Problem is that some people have the assumption he said "soon" or "in the next case" but he didn't specify when he would write more about Amuro and Elena.

It can be anytime next year for all we know.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Wheel Of Fate

Post by Wheel Of Fate »

Warning !! Text spoilers for file 983 !!

Break for two weeks .
Spoiler:
もうバレ来てるみたいなんで簡易で

FILE983 喫茶ポアロで謎解きを

犯人はトイレにいた学生
あらかじめ昔の舞台セットで練習したうえで
すりガラスにはセロテープ貼って視界確保
返り血は刺し手にトイレットペーパー巻いて犯行後に流す
刃先にも芯で包んで飛び散らないようにして、流せないので次のロールの内側へ

学生は幼馴染みが元カレだと思っていたが、彼女と幼馴染みは腹違いの姉弟
彼女は代議士の愛人の子で、公にはできずにいたが
幼馴染みはそれほど気にしてなく、姉である彼女を学生に託すつもりだった

慌てて銀座へ向かおうとする平次だったが、和葉が噂を聞きつけてくるのが先
平次自ら告白する時間もなく二人で新幹線に乗るハメに

和田は初期翻訳版ワトソンの日本名からとった偽名で
正体は紅葉の執事・伊織無我(いおり むが)
電話の向こうのホームズ役が紅葉
■次号、作者取材の為 休載です。
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Translation of text spoilers for file 983:

TWO-WEEK BREAK (Author's break + magazine break)

Next Shonen Sunday will be on sale on January the 18th.
Spoiler:
File 983: Solving mysteries at Café Poirot

The culprit is the student who was in the restroom.

He'd memorized the layout from the stage they'd built based on the café so he used cellotape on the window to be able to see through.

He wrapped toilet paper around the hand he used to stab the victim and then tossed the paper into the toilet.

He also surrounded the edge of the knife with a marrow so that blood wouldn't splatter and since he couldn't get rid of it through the toilet he hid it inside of a toilet paper roll.

The student thought that the childhood friend was the woman's ex-boyfriend but it turns out that the woman and him are sister and brother, each born from different mothers. She's the daugther of the congressman's lover and thus he publically didn't acknowledge her as his daugther, but the childhood friend didn't mind it too much and didn't mind letting her hang out with the student.

Heiji tries to rush to Ginza but Kazuha hears some rumors (T/N: about the case?) before he gets there: Heiji decides there's no time to attempt a confession and thus both end up riding on the Shinkanse to go back to Oosaka.

Wada was fake name taken from one of the early Japanese-translated Holmes novels and was the "japanized" name for Watson: it turns out he's Momiji's butler, Iori Muga. And Momiji was acting like Holmes by advising him over the phone.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
estuputri

Post by estuputri »

Spimer wrote:Translation of text spoilers for file 983:

Spoiler:

He'd memorized the layout from the stage they'd built based on the café so he used cellotape on the window to be able to see through.

He wrapped toilet paper around the hand he used to stab the victim and then tossed the paper into the toilet.

He also surrounded the edge of the knife with a marrow so that blood wouldn't splatter and since he couldn't get rid of it through the toilet he hid it inside of a toilet paper roll.

The student thought that the childhood friend was the woman's ex-boyfriend but it turns out that the woman and him are sister and brother, each born from different mothers. She's the daugther of the congressman's lover and thus he publically didn't acknowledge her as his daugther, but the childhood friend didn't mind it too much and didn't mind letting her hang out with the student.

Heiji tries to rush to Ginza but Kazuha hears some rumors (T/N: about the case?) before he gets there: Heiji decides there's no time to attempt a confession and thus both end up riding on the Shinkanse to go back to Oosaka.

Wada was fake name taken from one of the early Japanese-translated Holmes novels and was the "japanized" name for Watson: it turns out he's Momiji's butler, Iori Muga. And Momiji was acting like Holmes by advising him over the phone.
Spoiler:
So, it's Momiji and her partner who disguise. I don't think Momiji will have a good skill of deduction. So, is she a new detective one?
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

estuputri wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
So, it's Momiji and her partner who disguise. I don't think Momiji will have a good skill of deduction. So, is she a new detective one?
Spoiler:
Maybe she'll be Heijis archenemy from now on :-X I can already see a case including her family so it should be interesting to witness.
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

Spoiler:
I like that this "Shinichi Wada" guy turned out to be Momiji's butler instead of another random mysterious cool guy who was added into the series for no other reason than to serve as filler.
Unlucky Devil

Post by Unlucky Devil »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Since it'd have been Momiji's idea to adopt the name, Wada, it is safe to assume she is another Holmes fan. Like Minerva Glass. Also, she proclaims herself as Holmes himself in that manner, and also manages to get Conan's regard as Holmes, which he did not give to even Akai. While she might be a character for Heiji's love interest, I think her encounters with Heiji (which would undoubtedly involve Conan as well) can lead her to play a major protagonist role. Such an interesting character cannot be wasted as a mere love interest. He already did that once with Natsuki Koshimizu, "the detective from the South" in the Detective Koushien case. (He later had to create Sera, as he couldn't recycle her.) I think Gosho would be careful with further characters he introduces - if the character is so well developed after only the second minor appearance, she has got to have an important role to play... Her intellect was almost at par with Mary, I'd say. (She too, appears to be better at deductions than Conan)
It is intriguing Momiji added Shinichi to Wada. It could be one of the following:-
1 . It could be to attract Heiji's attention. Although if she was testing Heiji's intellect, she might have wanted her butler to remain undetected, which takes me to the second theory:
2 . She randomly used the name, and Gosho was teasing us.
3 . She meant Shinichi being her future husband, and knows about Shinichi = Conan (very very unlikely). Yes, she was looking at her phone, which had Heiji's photo and caption on it, but we don't know the contents of the article. It might have something about Conan. The reason, however, behind my assumption is the use of a Sherlock Holmes reference along with Shinichi's name, and we know how much Shinichi loves Sherlock, enough to get the Watson and Holmes reference. Heiji, on the other hand, is more interested in the work of Ellery Queen, and wouldn't have gotten the reference she made. Of course, it could be she is a fan of Holmes, but just putting out another theory out there (albeit with dozens of loopholes, such as Movie 21)
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Unlucky Devil wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Since it'd have been Momiji's idea to adopt the name, Wada, it is safe to assume she is another Holmes fan. Like Minerva Glass. Also, she proclaims herself as Holmes himself in that manner, and also manages to get Conan's regard as Holmes, which he did not give to even Akai. While she might be a character for Heiji's love interest, I think her encounters with Heiji (which would undoubtedly involve Conan as well) can lead her to play a major protagonist role. Such an interesting character cannot be wasted as a mere love interest. He already did that once with Natsuki Koshimizu, "the detective from the South" in the Detective Koushien case. (He later had to create Sera, as he couldn't recycle her.) I think Gosho would be careful with further characters he introduces - if the character is so well developed after only the second minor appearance, she has got to have an important role to play... Her intellect was almost at par with Mary, I'd say. (She too, appears to be better at deductions than Conan)
It is intriguing Momiji added Shinichi to Wada. It could be one of the following:-
1 . It could be to attract Heiji's attention. Although if she was testing Heiji's intellect, she might have wanted her butler to remain undetected, which takes me to the second theory:
3 . She meant Shinichi being her future husband, and knows about Shinichi = Conan (very very unlikely). Yes, she was looking at her phone, which had Heiji's photo and caption on it, but we don't know the contents of the article. It might have something about Conan. The reason, however, behind my assumption is the use of a Sherlock Holmes reference along with Shinichi's name, and we know how much Shinichi loves Sherlock, enough to get the Watson and Holmes reference. Heiji, on the other hand, is more interested in the work of Ellery Queen, and wouldn't have gotten the reference she made. Of course, it could be she is a fan of Holmes, but just putting out another theory out there (albeit with dozens of loopholes, such as Movie 21)
Spoiler:
1. "Shinichi" was already the first name of Watson in the translation, he wasn't just called "Wada" without a first name, so there is no more meaning behind that other than the Holmes reference.
2. Conan was merely recognizing the original Japanese name and that the person he was talking to over the phone acted like Holmes sometimes did with Watson by relaying the deduction (or in this case the hint). That's very different from comparing her deductive skills as equal to the ones of Holmes, like you imply.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Unlucky Devil wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I doubt the news would tell about Heiji not being a huge Sherlock fan so how would she know to not use Sherlock? Besides I doubt that Watson reference is all that hidden information in Japan, considering how popular Sherlock is.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Does anyone have interest in Momiji's phone? I think I found sth unusual. In DC world, smart phones used to suggest identities of characters. Current BO members appreciate apple phones, while the others including pre-BO members like Ai, show preference to different brands of Android phones.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Here are phones of Momiji, Hyoue and Muga. I don't know for sure, but when I regard the square on the back of the phone as the Apple logo, those phones look very much like iphone 6s to me. If so, could it be a hint that the Ooka family have sth to do with BO?
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Artemis wrote:Does anyone have interest in Momiji's phone? I think I found sth unusual. In DC world, smart phones used to suggest identities of characters. Current BO members appreciate apple phones, while the others including pre-BO members like Ai, show preference to different brands of Android phones.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Here are phones of Momiji, Hyoue and Muga. I don't know for sure, but when I regard the square on the back of the phone as the Apple logo, those phones look very much like iphone 6s to me. If so, could it be a hint that the Ooka family have sth to do with BO?
Hm, Bourbon's iPhone has a spade instead of the Apple logo, while Vermouth's iPhone just has a complete black backside. Can't really tell much from this imo, and I don't think phones are really used to suggest someones identity, just like cars aren't.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Serinox wrote:Bourbon's iPhone has a spade instead of the Apple logo, while Vermouth's iPhone just has a complete black backside.
That's probably to just get around having to pay royalties (correct me if this isn't the right term) to Apple, right?

But cell phones are unlikely to be the thing to look out for, in terms of BO members. Plus, characters may have more than one phone—so they may have one phone that could be considered a BO phone, and another that's considered a normal phone—and Shukichi's not BO, and he has two phones, so looking for characters who have more than one phone is no guarantee of zeroing in on a BO member.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:Bourbon's iPhone has a spade instead of the Apple logo, while Vermouth's iPhone just has a complete black backside.
That's probably to just get around having to pay royalties (correct me if this isn't the right term) to Apple, right?
Yeah, pretty much, and avoiding lawsuits for displaying their intellectual property without permission, which goes in the same direction.