Gosho Aoyama Q&A Singapore 2016

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Gosho Aoyama Q&A Singapore 2016

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 20th, 2016, 1:13 am

k11chi wrote:Volumes 89 and 90 are the best ones in a long time with 89 dealing with normal cases and 90 dealing with RUM cases.

Yeah, 2016 was a big year for DC, in the manga.

k11chi wrote:
eros1607 wrote:Q9: Do you read opinions about Conan on the Internet? What do you when you find a comment that criticizes Conan?
A: Yeah. I check them out. If there’s a comment that criticizes Conan then I don’t come back to that website. (Audience laughs)

Gosho is one of the biggest mangaka indeed. But I think if you are not Toriyama (DB), Oda (One Piece), Togashi (HXH), Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys), Mitsuru Adachi (Touch, H2, Rough, Cross Game) you should not ignore any criticism. I feel a gap between Gosho and these other mangaka to be honest.

...an author should never get pressure from criticism which is what Gosho is pretty damn good at. Also most of the criticism Gosho will face is obviously going to be complaining about no BO, so any actual constructive criticism dealing with the cases will get buried. .

I hope Gosho can recognize the difference between bashing and constructive criticism.

Articulate, well-reasoned critiques should be acknowledged, like a couple I've seen on here.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » November 20th, 2016, 2:35 am

k11chi wrote:
eros1607 wrote:Q9: Do you read opinions about Conan on the Internet? What do you when you find a comment that criticizes Conan?
A: Yeah. I check them out. If there’s a comment that criticizes Conan then I don’t come back to that website. (Audience laughs)

Gosho is one of the biggest mangaka indeed. But I think if you are not Toriyama (DB), Oda (One Piece), Togashi (HXH), Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys), Mitsuru Adachi (Touch, H2, Rough, Cross Game) you should not ignore any criticism. I feel a gap between Gosho and these other mangaka to be honest.

Gosho is far more succesfull than Adachi, Urasawa or Togashi, I think you`re forgetting that he`s not just creating a manga but also the insane popularity the TV and films have (more so than even Dragon Ball). Besides an author should never get pressure from criticism which is what Gosho is pretty damn good at. Also most of the criticism Gosho will face is obviously going to be complaining about no BO, so any actual constructive criticism dealing with the cases will get buried.
Gosho is very good when it comes to condensing information, making buying the volumes far more worth it compared to other series of its kind. Volumes 89 and 90 are the best ones in a long time with 89 dealing with normal cases and 90 dealing with RUM cases.

I don't think Gosho is more successfull than Mitsuru Adachi, Naoki Urasawa or Togashi when it come to story-telling. Monster, 20th Century Boy, Touch, H2, HxH are all insanely addicting and the story-telling are far far more versatile than DC. They are also more capable than Gosho when dealing with many issues and hidden themes, especially Naoki Urasawa and Mitsuru Adachi who are so good at symbolising and metaphor which make their work very closed to literacy classics. Togashi is the best in shounen, more superb than any of Oda or Kishimoto. In terms of sales, Yu Yu Hakusho sells 50 millions copies with 19 volums, 66.3 million copies with 33 volumes. If Togashi doesn't take so many hiatuses, his sales will exceed Gosho for sure (150 millions with 90 volumes). Mitsuru Adachi sell more than 200 millions copies (Touch alone sells 100 millions copies in 2007 with only 26 volumes). Naoki Urasawa is seinen mangaka so his sales is less than shounen mangaka but his popularity is insane. The anime is successful for sure and make Gosho distinguished from these mangaka but I feel that DC anime is turning into another Doraemon or Sazae-san and not so closed to the manga as it used to be. The anime is also blamed for misconception about DC that DC is only cases without overarching plot.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » November 20th, 2016, 5:53 pm

eros1607 wrote:
k11chi wrote:

Gosho is far more succesfull than Adachi, Urasawa or Togashi, I think you`re forgetting that he`s not just creating a manga but also the insane popularity the TV and films have (more so than even Dragon Ball). Besides an author should never get pressure from criticism which is what Gosho is pretty damn good at. Also most of the criticism Gosho will face is obviously going to be complaining about no BO, so any actual constructive criticism dealing with the cases will get buried.
Gosho is very good when it comes to condensing information, making buying the volumes far more worth it compared to other series of its kind. Volumes 89 and 90 are the best ones in a long time with 89 dealing with normal cases and 90 dealing with RUM cases.

I don't think Gosho is more successfull than Mitsuru Adachi, Naoki Urasawa or Togashi when it come to story-telling. Monster, 20th Century Boy, Touch, H2, HxH are all insanely addicting and the story-telling are far far more versatile than DC. They are also more capable than Gosho when dealing with many issues and hidden themes, especially Naoki Urasawa and Mitsuru Adachi who are so good at symbolising and metaphor which make their work very closed to literacy classics. Togashi is the best in shounen, more superb than any of Oda or Kishimoto. In terms of sales, Yu Yu Hakusho sells 50 millions copies with 19 volums, 66.3 million copies with 33 volumes. If Togashi doesn't take so many hiatuses, his sales will exceed Gosho for sure (150 millions with 90 volumes). Mitsuru Adachi sell more than 200 millions copies (Touch alone sells 100 millions copies in 2007 with only 26 volumes). Naoki Urasawa is seinen mangaka so his sales is less than shounen mangaka but his popularity is insane. The anime is successful for sure and make Gosho distinguished from these mangaka but I feel that DC anime is turning into another Doraemon or Sazae-san and not so closed to the manga as it used to be. The anime is also blamed for misconception about DC that DC is only cases without overarching plot.

Dealing with issues and difficult themes is not part of the detective fiction Gosho writes, anyway... and he's written hundreds of cases. And as I said they can have 200M volume sales and they wouldn't come close to Goshos success, the latest movie alone added another nearly 50M (if i counted it right with 0.009x5B - could be 50M after all) to the franchise and reached blockbuster sales. The manga, the TV series and the films are as popular in a triangle.

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”