Discussion thread: Detective Conan 978-980

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
k11chi

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 978-98X

Postby k11chi » November 10th, 2016, 11:40 pm

Filipino_4869 wrote:Regarding the case:

Spoiler:
My observations (some are pretty obvious):

1. Instead of a whodunnit, the case is a "howdunnit" and "howcatchem" type of murder mystery.

2. Wakasa-sensei has an idea that Banno Teigo, the pro-golfer, will murder/murdered Iiyama Kurumi. (She "intentionally" spilled the paint so she can bring the DB to her condo).

3. In page 11, panel 3, the chin of the "white woman" with a "ton of make-up", looks similar to Banno Teigo's. Most likely, he is the woman knocking, and it is HIS HAND that wrote the message on his face. And he did some sort of trick to make his skin white (even the thighs) and remove it including the manicure.

4. In page 15, panel 1, there is some dirt/smudge (blood?) at the back of the guy's clothes. But I find it susipicious because the lady's blood doesn't appear to be wiped and it is far from his shoulder.

5. The upside-down photo between his legs might provide another clue in the next chapter.

Spoiler:
I wonder if the guy is telling any type of truths though. Like about being tazed. Well we'll hear the whole story when the cops start questioning things... It could turn out to be just a simple howdunnit but it's structured in a way that let's us learn of what other characters were doing in the later parts, so...
Who that woman exactly is...
Wheel Of Fate

Postby Wheel Of Fate » November 12th, 2016, 4:23 am

Warning..!! Text Spoilers for file 979

Spoiler:
FILE979 白い手の女

ゴルファーは通報を受けてきた目暮たちにも同じ説明
すると灰原は、「空想彼女」と呼ばれる自演をしたのでは?とゴルファーに言う
ゴルファーはそれを否定し、女の特徴を伝える
つばの広い帽子にサングラス、濃い化粧で手首にシュシュ…
コナンが身長もゴルファーと同じくらいだった……と言うとゴルファーはごまかすが
高木がゴルファーとモデルが有名人だと気づくと、元太たちが勝手に戸棚を開ける
ゴ「さ… 触んじゃねぇ!!!」
思わず怒鳴ってしまうが、整理したばかりだからさ、と平静を装う
そこで居合わせた若狭先生が隣人だと名乗り出て、この部屋にいる理由を話す
若「その2人の言い争う声が聞こえて来て… これが最後の晩餐になる… とか…」
コナンも勝手にゴルファーの冷蔵庫を開くと、中はほぼカラ
目暮はひとまず若狭先生たちをゴルファーの部屋から出し自宅待機させる

若狭先生の居間
一同が「一休さん」のように写真から犯人出せないの?と退屈そうに話をしていると
元太の腕から化粧品の匂いがする
コナンはそれでゴルファーが犯人だと見立てるが、まだ決め手に欠ける
ふと、コナンは何か紙切れを踏んでるのに気づく よく見るとコンビニのレシート
こっそりポケットにしまいつつ、若狭先生に今朝の遅刻の理由を尋ねると
冷蔵庫の中身が空だったので、終業後に行くと売り切れてるから先に買いに行ったという

警察はゴルファーの証言通りの女を捜している
コナンは2つの異様な点を感じたというが……
灰原は自分の顔に文字が書けるか試しているがうまくいかない
元太は疲れて寝ちゃったのはいいが…そこは描いたばかりのトラの絵の上
顔に絵の具のトラ縞が写ってしまってる
コ(なるほど… 深く考え過ぎてたってわけか…)
■コナンが感じた異様な点とは――!?新年1号で、完結編!! 次号は作者取材のためお休みです。
Spimer

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Postby Spimer » November 12th, 2016, 7:37 am

Translation of file 979 text spoilers:

AUTHOR'S BREAK NEXT WEEK

It's currently unconfirmed but it's possible that the next SS (2017 Issue #1) will be released on November 30th which means a 1-week break

Spoiler:
File 979: The woman with the white hand

The golfer explains the same he told Conan & co. to Megure & co. who've come after the murder was reported to the police

Haibara questions the golfer if he wasn't pretending to have a "fictional girlfriend": he denies that and explains the traits of the woman

She wears a spacious hat, sunglasses, thick make-up and fabric-covered hair ties on the wrists

Conan brings up that she must have the same height as the golfer and the golfer tries to shoot that away: Takagi then realizes that the golfer and the dead model both are famous: Genta and the others suddenly open a nearby closet

Golfer: "D... Don't touch that!"

He suddenly yells at them but then pretends to be calm by saying that he'd just cleansed up the closets

Wakasa, the teacher, who was present, introduces herself as the golfer's neighbor and explains why she's there

Wakasa: "I happened overhear how he and the woman were arguing... And you were saying... "This'll be your last supper"... Or something like that"

Conan peeks into the fridge and sees that it's mostly empty: Megure then orders Wakasa and the others to go back to Wakasa's apartment and wait there

A while later, on Wakasa's living room...

Some of the DBs, feeling bored, wonder if they can't make the culprit come out the Polaroid as if in the "Ikkyuu - san" play: one of Genta's arms has make-up smell on it

Conan guesses from that the golfer's the killer but he lacks decisive evidence: he then realizes he's stepping above a torn paper which is a convenience store's receipt

He secretly stuffs it into a pocket and tries asking Wakasa why she arrived late on the morning: she answers that her frige was almost empty so she went to buy stuff before class because if she went after school ended some of the goods would already be sold out

Megure & co. have begun to search for the "woman" the golfer talked about: Conan feel a couple of odd points about the whole thing but he's not sure of what they are

Haibara is trying on herself writing text in a cheek but it's not coming out well enough

Genta has been having a nap atop the recently painted tiger picture but then he finds out he's got paint of the tiger stripes on his face

Conan (thinking): "I see... I was actually thinking too deeply about this..."

Side-note: "What are the anomalies that Conan's felt?! Resolution will at Issue #1 2017! Next issue: author is taking break to gather materials"
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 13th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Spimer wrote:It's currently unconfirmed but it's possible that the next SS (2017 Issue #1) will be released on November 30th which means a 1-week break

If this was a 2 week break, it would've used the plural (issues), not the singular (issue), and the number two would've been in that sentence, somewhere.

Thus, we can expect spoiler pics for 980 on the 25th.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Spimer

Postby Spimer » November 13th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Yeah, it's just that some of the cbox members were a bit confused about whether it meant one week or two. We'll get confirmation by next week, I guess.
mihai

Postby mihai » November 14th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Spoiler:
So it seems the golfer imprinted that writing on his face just like Genta got the tiger stripes, then took a photo of the hand with make-up. I wonder how he calculated the angry girlfriend act so it has an audience.

As for Rumi, she will be a bit more suspicious now with Conan asking where she was before school and hiding that receipt. I know he asks those questions when he has suspicions of a person but we were yet to be shown him as suspicious of her until this chapter
Serinox

Postby Serinox » November 15th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Spoiler:
Hm, looks like Conan gets his first suspicion. On page 12 of Ch. 979, Conan finds a convenience store receipt under a rug in Rumi's apartment and its timestamp reads that the purchases were made on the morning of the same day. According to Yunnie, the receipt has "Egg pack; Bell pepper; Garlic; Onion; Plates; Glasses; Mug" on it, which means that Rumi conveniently bought additional plates and glasses and mugs on the day that five children later "randomly" come over to her apartment and whom she probably couldn’t have offered to stay for dinner if she hadn’t purchased this additional tableware. And buying some of the ingredients of the dish she later offers them as well. And going shopping after witnessing the argument between Kurumi and Teigo too, resulting in her being late for class.

It's so convenient that Conan secretly stuffs the receipt into his pocket.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » November 15th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Spoiler:
Rotated to camera holder pov
from the "woman" 's pov, the writing is at the wrong angle

Spoiler:
also... anyone up for a game of spot the difference ?

I think I might have solved the picture ?
Spoiler:
クリアファイル
The highlighted word in the picture is "Clear File"
For those who do not know what a clear file is, here is a demonstration :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPVqXYxUFQ

I think that the two pictures that the main suspect has are exactly identical.
I think he has pasted a clear file image over one of the photos so that it seems like
there is a woman in the picture, however no such woman ever existed.

for further evidence, the corners of the photo in question on the cover seem to have odd edges
In this way, Conan can literally pull the white hand from the picture, by removing the clear file.
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
MoonRaven

DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Postby MoonRaven » November 16th, 2016, 4:07 am

that makes sense. Great work!
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.

My dA There is one file for solely DC drawings.
My FF I have two DC fics: Rose in the Ecplipse of the Sun(or RitEotS) and Dream... or Not(or just DoN). The latter one still ongoing and has a spin-off Leap to Relatively Unknown.
My Tumblr

Chapter 72 of Dream or Not finished the fic 9.1.17 (9th of January)

Chapter 23 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 23.1.17 (23rd of January)

Sequel to DoN and LtRU, Leaping into the Dream has gotten its first chapter 13.4.17 (13th April)

Brilliant DC roleplay behind the years where I was Sera Read away.
Spimer

Postby Spimer » November 16th, 2016, 4:31 am

I've confirmed that the next file will be released in November the 30th so there is indeed a one-week break.
Edosun

Postby Edosun » November 16th, 2016, 10:16 am

Spoiler:
It seems to me that Rumi left that receipt there on purpose for Conan to find. She wants Conan to figure out who she really is. Just another way of testing of Conan's skills I think.

Regarding the case, both the "clear file" trick and imprinting the writing on his face like Genta with the tiger stripes make a lot of sense. For the angry woman act, I think he just waited for someone to walk down the corridor and as soon as he heard someone coming, he started ringing the bell repeatedly. Even if no one had walked by, he was still recorded by the elevator camera so he had proof of the "woman"'s existence.
Tantei San

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Postby Tantei San » November 18th, 2016, 8:52 am

So its clear from file 979 that The golfer is the killer and its upto conan to find how he did. And Rumi is the one who planned all this and brought the DBs with her so that she could have it end after all. I am excited to see the aftermath of the case when it is about to end. And why WHY just WHY did conan keep that receipt in his pocket. Is she being suspected?
Spoiler:
TAA...DAAAH....... You and me are HU-MAN....
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » November 18th, 2016, 9:21 am

Tantei San wrote:And why WHY just WHY did conan keep that receipt in his pocket. Is she being suspected?

A bad habit of his ;).
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Serinox

Postby Serinox » November 18th, 2016, 10:32 am

Tantei San wrote:And why WHY just WHY did conan keep that receipt in his pocket. Is she being suspected?

Because the items on the receipt are suspicious.
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » November 18th, 2016, 10:49 am

Ai is a bit more active in this case more than usual huh? It's nice to see her doing more than babysitting DBs but maybe I am too familiar with her being a plot device recently so I feel a bit weird. I still love her though.

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”