Discussion thread: Detective Conan 978-980

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Stopwatch

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 978-980

Postby Stopwatch » November 30th, 2016, 9:51 am

Serinox wrote:
Stopwatch wrote:
Spoiler:
Iirc, last time Conan thought about Bourbon and Hattori he thought he should gather more info on Amuro before it was worth telling Hattori...? That was ages back though. But still, that it was mentioned means it's very possibly still the case?

Do we know it's definitely Hattori and Amuro though? Because Yamato kinda had a link with Kuroda, right? I do find Hattori-Amuro more likely but I'm not 100% sure on that.

And sorry if anything is misremembered. I can't remember which files any of this stuff came up in so I can't exactly double check for accuracy.

Spoiler:
I don't recall that there was ever a situation in regards to Bourbon. Conan thought this about Rum and Heiji at the beginning of the Kamaitachi case, but if my memory doesn't fail me, Conan never thought about involving Heiji in the whole Bourbon thing.

It shouldn't Yamato, since the side-note used the word "tantei" and that is not usually used in this series to refer to police members; besides, Yamato is an inspector (keibu) and not a detective (keiji).

Fair, fair. I was probably thinking about that instance in the former case and got it muddled up. And that makes sense, thanks ^^.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

presumenothing wrote:killing the entire akai family must be quite the challenging task, you'd first have to figure out who they are...

Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » November 30th, 2016, 10:18 am

just read the translation of File 980...
Spoiler:
What a twist that case development became! So simple, yet it was unexpected,...I definitely enjoyed it and it's among my favorites of this year!

Rumi messed up for once(by getting caught in action)...
If Rum is after Asaka(possibly Rumi), then Kuroda, who seems to recognise her, can't be Rum, unless the BO takes action against her in the upcoming chapters, or she disappears from school. He should have recognized the dying message in her name(hence possibly why he seems suspicious of her) if Kuroda is connected to the Kouji case, so that could be a reason why he wouldn't take actions against her directly if he is Rum(because he isn't sure).

As for Wakita's very suspiciously neutral comment, we can't even tell if he is talking about the same news. Assuming that it is though,...since he referenced Ikkiyu, and we established Shinichi's similarity to him, he must be referring to Conan's vital help in solving the case (since that's probably what the news reported)...

Conan is getting clumsier...or rather too comfortable with solving cases in his own skin!
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Serinox

Postby Serinox » November 30th, 2016, 10:45 am

MeiTanteixX wrote:just read the translation of File 980...
Spoiler:
What a twist that case development became! So simple, yet it was unexpected,...I definitely enjoyed it and it's among my favorites of this year!

Rumi messed up for once(by getting caught in action)...
If Rum is after Asaka(possibly Rumi), then Kuroda, who seems to recognise her, can't be Rum, unless the BO takes action against her in the upcoming chapters, or she disappears from school. He should have recognized the dying message in her name(hence possibly why he seems suspicious of her) if Kuroda is connected to the Kouji case, so that could be a reason why he wouldn't take actions against her directly if he is Rum(because he isn't sure).

As for Wakita's very suspiciously neutral comment, we can't even tell if he is talking about the same news. Assuming that it is though,...since he referenced Ikkiyu, and we established Shinichi's similarity to him, he must be referring to Conan's vital help in solving the case (since that's probably what the news reported)...

Conan is getting clumsier...or rather too comfortable with solving cases in his own skin!

Spoiler:
I don't think the media would write much about Conan's involvement, since they are seeming to push their "Rumi caught the killer" storyline. Plus, we don't know how much of the solution the police/Megure will spill to the media. Even if they report in more detail about how the solution was done, they'll probably make it more about the other Detective Boys, since Ayumi, Genta and Mitsuhiko were the ones to give statements into the press mics. At most, I'd guess that Conan could be in the background with Haibara behind the other DB and Rumi in some unseen recording/photo, but that should be about it imo.

Also, Wakita almost seems too obvious to me ... when Gosho uses vague phrasing is almost all the time a red herring and using an Ikkyu description here + gender neutral word, probably everyone after reading this case thinks that he must mean Conan, but ... yeah, it seems too obvious and more like a red herring to me.

(Also, I don't know how Conan is supposedly getting clumsier now when he is already a renowned and famous media figure with the whole Kid Killer stuff and with e.g. Kansuke thinking of him as smarter than Kogoro for 300 chapters now.)
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » November 30th, 2016, 11:04 am

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, I don't know how Conan is supposedly getting clumsier now when he is already a renowned and famous media figure with the whole Kid Killer stuff and with e.g. Kansuke thinking of him as smarter than Kogoro for 300 chapters now.)

Spoiler:
The kid stuff can still be played off as over-hyped luck/coincidence/"one-time-only" and the Kansuke thing is unknown to public eye...
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Image Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

Serinox

Postby Serinox » November 30th, 2016, 12:02 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, I don't know how Conan is supposedly getting clumsier now when he is already a renowned and famous media figure with the whole Kid Killer stuff and with e.g. Kansuke thinking of him as smarter than Kogoro for 300 chapters now.)

Spoiler:
The kid stuff can still be played off as over-hyped luck/coincidence/"one-time-only" and the Kansuke thing is unknown to public eye...

Spoiler:
Really? The media reported multiple times about him after all. And speaking about the public eye, how much of Conan's case solving is known to the public? We can't really tell, but I doubt the police would publish too many details about that, for identity protection of children alone. And it's really not something that has been uncommon in the series before, he's been solving cases on his own without any Sonoko, Agasa or Kogoro for quite some time after all. But everytime I hear "Conan is getting more blatant with solving cases on his own", I can't help but to think that this has pretty much always been a thing in the series.

And it's not like this case or pretty much any of the cases were blantantly in front of the public as far as I can recall.
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » November 30th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Serinox wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Really? The media reported multiple times about him after all. And speaking about the public eye, how much of Conan's case solving is known to the public? We can't really tell, but I doubt the police would publish too many details about that, for identity protection of children alone. And it's really not something that has been uncommon in the series before, he's been solving cases on his own without any Sonoko, Agasa or Kogoro for quite some time after all. But everytime I hear "Conan is getting more blatant with solving cases on his own", I can't help but to think that this has pretty much always been a thing in the series.
And it's not like this case or pretty much any of the cases were blantantly in front of the public as far as I can recall.

Spoiler:
that's true, but I was assuming that Wakita got a hint from the news that pointed him to Conan,...well either way,...I guess in the worst case scenario, he can blend in with the DB as the group gets the credit(along with Rumi)...
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image Image

Unlucky Devil

Postby Unlucky Devil » December 1st, 2016, 11:24 am

Spoiler:
One thing I noticed in this issue was how Wakasa Rumi was surprised by the reporters, and how she was unwilling to reveal her name to the reporters (the DBs eventually blurt it out anyway). Her skills in both the cases seem to be good enough to fool even cautious Ai, who still thinks that she tripped.

My point is - why would she be willing to reveal her name to Conan, but not to the public?
At the very least, she is a character that's aware of the Kohji case, else she wouldn't be unwilling to reveal her name. She is automatically aware of the threat from BO / other pursuing parties, which may or may not include the Akai family (of course not together, it's against their nature to share stuff) Maybe, she even knows of the true meaning of RUM = ASACA, although there is the issue of the K she used instead of C..
I think it would be interesting to see Masumi and Rumi meet soon.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » December 1st, 2016, 12:35 pm

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
And it's really not something that has been uncommon in the series before, he's been solving cases on his own without any Sonoko, Agasa or Kogoro for quite some time after all. But everytime I hear "Conan is getting more blatant with solving cases on his own", I can't help but to think that this has pretty much always been a thing in the series.

Spoiler:
From the 600s/500s (Manga Files/Anime Episodes), on, Shinichi/Conan has been increasingly surrounded by more characters who are on or close to his intellectual level. It seems this has led to less of a reliance (by choice or not) on the stun-gun wristwatch/voice-changing bow-tie combo—look at cases where Shuichi/Subaru (948–950), Masumi (844–846/827–828), or Rei/Toru (825–827/705–706) play a prominent role.

Thus, there's an impression that he's more out in the open than he was before the 600s. Even Heiji cases have gone in this direction—in earlier Heiji cases, Shinichi/Conan would still tranquilize Kogoro, if Kogoro was there (Bond of Flame (150–153/77–78), Spider Mansion (246–250/166–168), Mermaid Island (279–283/222–224)). Since the 600s/500s? Not at all.

Kansuke, Yui and Taka'aki/Koumei coming into the mix (613–618/516–517 and 580–586/557–562) as the only police characters who recognize that Shinichi/Conan is the brains behind Sleeping Kogoro further eliminates the need for Kogoro to be tranquilized.

Yes, it has always been "a thing," but, since the 600s/500s, it seems to have become a bigger "thing."
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Tantei San

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Postby Tantei San » December 1st, 2016, 12:45 pm

Unlucky Devil wrote:
Spoiler:
One thing I noticed in this issue was how Wakasa Rumi was surprised by the reporters, and how she was unwilling to reveal her name to the reporters (the DBs eventually blurt it out anyway). Her skills in both the cases seem to be good enough to fool even cautious Ai, who still thinks that she tripped.

My point is - why would she be willing to reveal her name to Conan, but not to the public?
At the very least, she is a character that's aware of the Kohji case, else she wouldn't be unwilling to reveal her name. She is automatically aware of the threat from BO / other pursuing parties, which may or may not include the Akai family (of course not together, it's against their nature to share stuff) Maybe, she even knows of the true meaning of RUM = ASACA, although there is the issue of the K she used instead of C..

Spoiler:
Even If I agree with what you said regarding the reporters, maybe she was surprised with the hype she suddenly got?! And well she got some skills!! tbh,
But the other part, (*Name Theory*) Is pretty much irrelevant. The only part I can figure, she is Undercover. Be it FBI,CIA,PSB,JPF(Nagano cops) or BO she definitely is.
And Whether or not she is by any means related to kohji haneda case, we'll see. I can assume her to be any sort of blood/non blood relation possibly with the theory you suggest. And the most hilarious theory could be that by revealing her NAME would be getting caught in the eyes of BO, I mean we all have suspicion on her because of her name. Don't we? And Masumi-->RUMI ?? Infact had you said the mother(masumi's) and rumi would make more sense, atleast she would be knowing more than masumi(she was pretty small at that time)yeah. if her mother told her then, that's another point but given what the other members are talking (*Not telling/revealing/sharing talks and happenings with other*) makes it pretty much summed. And revealing her name to conan, her name was announced.
She could be a low ranked officer who is bad at every work she does sort of! And she is given this kind of work. remain undercover and JUST don't let you be caught. or
On The IRONY,
could be a really high ranked officer.

Also, i know the movies are not canon but the kid killer really is a big thing so to eliminate that part and to think that the media doesn't know him or would not mention conan in reports is pretty less(10%).
Which leads to the wakita's smile is pretty much due to conan. IF he is an agent(any), He knows about conan being behind sleepng kogoro and thus gaining suspicion and here wakita praises him, On the contrary wakita knows rumi and is praising her( The genderless WORD)

Indeed conan is now less concerned about his identity ,now that many people know ;D ;D
Btw, when does 981 releases, Anyone knows ??
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » December 1st, 2016, 1:30 pm

Tantei San wrote:Indeed conan is now less concerned about his identity ,now that many people know ;D ;D

Next issue, Shonen Sunday #2, Dec 12.
Kor

Postby Kor » December 1st, 2016, 1:48 pm

eros1607 wrote:
Tantei San wrote:Indeed conan is now less concerned about his identity ,now that many people know ;D ;D

Next issue, Shonen Sunday #2, Dec 12.

Minor correction - December 7th
Spoilers maybe tomorrow or on Saturday.
Unlucky Devil

Postby Unlucky Devil » December 2nd, 2016, 1:31 pm

Tantei San wrote:
Unlucky Devil wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Even If I agree with what you said regarding the reporters, maybe she was surprised with the hype she suddenly got?! And well she got some skills!! tbh,
But the other part, (*Name Theory*) Is pretty much irrelevant. The only part I can figure, she is Undercover. Be it FBI,CIA,PSB,JPF(Nagano cops) or BO she definitely is.
And Whether or not she is by any means related to kohji haneda case, we'll see. I can assume her to be any sort of blood/non blood relation possibly with the theory you suggest. And the most hilarious theory could be that by revealing her NAME would be getting caught in the eyes of BO, I mean we all have suspicion on her because of her name. Don't we? And Masumi-->RUMI ?? Infact had you said the mother(masumi's) and rumi would make more sense, atleast she would be knowing more than masumi(she was pretty small at that time)yeah. if her mother told her then, that's another point but given what the other members are talking (*Not telling/revealing/sharing talks and happenings with other*) makes it pretty much summed. And revealing her name to conan, her name was announced.
She could be a low ranked officer who is bad at every work she does sort of! And she is given this kind of work. remain undercover and JUST don't let you be caught. or
On The IRONY,
could be a really high ranked officer.

Also, i know the movies are not canon but the kid killer really is a big thing so to eliminate that part and to think that the media doesn't know him or would not mention conan in reports is pretty less(10%).
Which leads to the wakita's smile is pretty much due to conan. IF he is an agent(any), He knows about conan being behind sleepng kogoro and thus gaining suspicion and here wakita praises him, On the contrary wakita knows rumi and is praising her( The genderless WORD)

Indeed conan is now less concerned about his identity ,now that many people know ;D ;D

Mary is very careful about not coming across as suspicious, she won't interact directly. Remember, Masumi overreacted when Kogorou mentioned Haneda Kohji - Mary bviously told her about thisone, so she would rather Sera (who knows Conan well) casually comes in contact with his school teacher to get to know who she is. Honestly, I don't believe I had to explain this.

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”