Discussion thread: Detective Conan 975-977

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
MeiTanteixX

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 975-977

Postby MeiTanteixX » October 27th, 2016, 2:26 pm

eros1607 wrote:I'm sorry with my writing. I missed the world "not" when I try to point out that Wakita need not to directly kill Kogoro. Sorry about that.

no problem, which means we are in an agreement.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
RucyL

Postby RucyL » October 28th, 2016, 11:37 am

When I saw that Kamen Yaiba thing, the first thing I though was "It's like the Akai Hito". Is like when Okiya first appeared. A small thing, a reference that has aparently not relation.

But that's the problem, THIS has a clear relation with Rum. It's almost too obvious. The chef is also too obvious, with his injured eye. So my bet was than Rum may be one of the suspects, but none of them did anything remarkable after the case, so I'm giving up.

So, if any of the suspects of this case show up again, they'll be my Rum suspect. If not, I'll just wait for new stuff to appear.
"A true lady leaves no puzzle unsolved."
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » October 28th, 2016, 11:48 am

If Wakita is Rum, I wonder why Rum has to work in a restaurant near Kogoro agency. He is interested in Kogoro, or he is interested in Bourbon. I bet he is interested in Bourbon because he is dealing with rats in BO and Bourbon is working near Kogoro.
Spimer

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Postby Spimer » October 28th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Could be yet let's not forget that RUM has an artificial eye or ocular prosthesis, not a wounded eye. An artificial eye should look the same as a normal eye at first glance and it actually moves, it's not static as some people believe.

Wakita says he got a pimple on the eye and he offers to show it to Conan & co. to prove it's true. He doesn't say how long he's had it but doesn't seem to be too long ago.

In my opinion he reeks of red herring like Kuroda or Yamato: Conan is jumping to conclusions again without having truly understood the meaning of Haibara's words.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Serinox

Postby Serinox » October 28th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Spimer wrote:In my opinion he reeks of red herring like Kuroda or Yamato: Conan is jumping to conclusions again without having truly understood the meaning of Haibara's words.

Conan is not jumping to conclusions, the eyepatch reminds him of Haibara's words, he gives one stern look and then calmy inquires about the injury. After that, he never thinks about Rum again, nor does he think that Kanenori is suspicious and the development of Kanenori becoming a disciple just gets an exasperated look and a sarcastic comment out of Conan, nothing more. Compared with Conan after the Soul Detective case, where he jumps to all kinds of conclusions in regards to Mary, this is nothing.
dccd

Postby dccd » October 28th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Spimer wrote:Could be yet let's not forget that RUM has an artificial eye or ocular prosthesis, not a wounded eye. An artificial eye should look the same as a normal eye at first glance and it actually moves, it's not static as some people believe.

This sentence should be sticked at the very top of every theory about Rum.
One more thing:

- Rum has an artificial eye or ocular prothesis.
- An artificial eye should look the same as a normal eye at first glance and it actually moves, it's not static as some people believe.

and...

- Conan thinks about Kansuke Yamato, when thinking about Rum.

What does that tell us?
[ ] Yonehara or Azusa = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Asaka = Mrs. Akai (Mary)
[ ] Rumi = Kojis GF
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey
Spimer

Postby Spimer » October 28th, 2016, 2:25 pm

That means that Conan focused on the "had an accident" and assumed RUM had to have a wound on one his eyes despite that Haibara clearly said "one of his eyes is an artificial eye". Artificial eye != wounded eye, dead eye

Conan then thought that the 3 descriptions of RUM Haibara told him about (old, femenine, strong) could all be applied to Yamato hence why he considered him to be RUM momentarily yet after having a closer look when the Nagano case he didn't inquiry further. His attention went to Kuroda instead and with no wonder.

Let's not forget that Conan thought that Mary could be Asaka at the end of the Soul Detective case too: but from Gin's and Vodka's talk it'd seem that Asaka = RUM and therefore is a man ("a killing that RUM screwed up 17 years ago").

Unless RUM was another character who was there 17 years ago apart from Asaka, it would seem he was involved in the two murders.
Tantei San

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Postby Tantei San » October 28th, 2016, 2:46 pm

If we go by the trend .
I meant look at the way when Bourbon was shown with there being 3 suspects - Rei, Okiya and Sera. Many had thought him being okiya but turned out to be Rei, which is ideally correct. So we probably are looking in the wrong direction or having someone least suspected. I guess that person could be RUM. Besides there so many red herring that it gets difficult to identify and odd him/her out. Besides i am getting a intuition after saying the above that Rum is already shown.
Spoiler:
TAA...DAAAH....... You and me are HU-MAN....
Serinox

Postby Serinox » October 28th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Spimer wrote:That means that Conan focused on the "had an accident" and assumed RUM had to have a wound on one his eyes despite that Haibara clearly said "one of his eyes is an artificial eye". Artificial eye != wounded eye, dead eye

Which makes sense as well, since you can take out an ocular prothesis, you don't have to wear it constantly. So, people who have the potential to have a fake eye (i.e. people with injuries and wounds at one of their eyes that indicate this potential) are worth suspecting as well.
Spimer

Postby Spimer » October 28th, 2016, 3:48 pm

@Serinox: You make a good point as well.

Nevertheless, his lack of further interest in Wakita could mean that he already discarded him from his list of suspects.

There's the problem that we don't know if that AC hint by Aoyama meant RUM or Lum which is reffered by Haibara when Conan asks her about RUM. He could've already appeared before Kuroda did or he's not.

Time will tell.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 28th, 2016, 6:47 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:After reading File 977, I'm seriously confused with Gosho’s implications...

The first impression I got was that Wakita is a BO member who looks down on Rum:
Wakita - "Pirate's Spirit is such a weak horse..."

And now, the second impression I'm getting is that Wakita is actually Rum:
Suspect - "Today is the episode where second-in-command of the boss appears"

Gosho's trolling with that comment (in terms of it referring to Kanenori, at the very least). One could not be any more obvious with such a comment. I practically fell out of my chair when I first saw it.

Your first impression has a higher probability of proving true.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
dccd

Postby dccd » October 28th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Conan thinks about Rum.
In the raw , the only word besides RUM which is spelled in latin letters is "OK OK", which is said by Kogoro after thinking about Yoko Okino.

OK OK = RUM
OK OK = YOKo OKino
RUM = OK OK (in terms of Goshos hints) = Yoko Okino

On the last page Kogoro answers to Wakita:
"OK" = Yoko Okino
So Yoko makes her appearence in 977 in some way.
[ ] Yonehara or Azusa = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Asaka = Mrs. Akai (Mary)
[ ] Rumi = Kojis GF
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » October 28th, 2016, 7:34 pm

dccd wrote:977
On the last page Kogoro answers to Wakita:
"OK"

"Wakita" is a city in the state of OKlahoma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakita,_Oklahoma

dccd wrote:951
Conan thinks about Rum.
In the raw , the only word besides RUM which is spelled in latin letters is "OK OK", which is said by Kogoro after thinking about Yoko Okino.

I see a few "latin" letters on the Poirot cafe sign peeking out from behind the bush in the first panel, "COFF". Both the names Kohji Haneda and Asaka are spelled out below their pictures in the second panel. In the panel where he is talking about Yoko he has the letters "MC" for an abbreviation for Master of Ceremonies. The letters "TV" appear in the character intro box for the suspect. And in the final panel if you get a good high quality scan, you can see the letters "L" and "H" on the thermostat just above Mary's head for high and low.
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
Vinnie

Postby Vinnie » November 2nd, 2016, 8:39 am

All these details!!!

I always get so hyped lol.

It seems that Conan is really discarding Wakita from his suspects list, but what if (WHAT IF) it went everything as RUM (lets suppose that Wakita is really Rum) planned?

But the questions are: how did he know about shinichi (or just) Conan?; If this is a disguise, why all the effort? There's so many (?) people in the BO;; Best move is definitely to approach those who are close to Conan, but does he want just information for him, or is it a mission?; He is close to the boss. But... does he report everything to the boss?. If the boss knows it all, maybe it all started back when he sent a message to Vermouth saying "It looks like I have given you too much freedom. Come back to my side, Vermouth." ?

To be honest I'm getting crazy because I'm so curious about this Rum guy and his intentions :D
Serinox

Postby Serinox » November 2nd, 2016, 10:27 am

Vinnie wrote:But the questions are: how did he know about shinichi (or just) Conan?; If this is a disguise, why all the effort? There's so many (?) people in the BO;; Best move is definitely to approach those who are close to Conan, but does he want just information for him, or is it a mission?; He is close to the boss. But... does he report everything to the boss?.

To be honest I'm getting crazy because I'm so curious about this Rum guy and his intentions :D

Rum shouldn't be after Conan or know about him (let alone his identity), since the BO still has no idea about him. Rum should be either after rats in the BO or Kogoro, . If Wakita is Rum, then he is indeed close to both of these things.

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”